kolni

Micropositioning, show your awesome spots! Now compiled!

I have no clue why you'd wanna go there and spot shit when there's a brawl happening in the north that you'll need guns for?

In case there´s no brawl happening maybe ? Which is like 70% times I play this map, people just camp. Other case may be you, being low tier scout, etc. I´m sure you can figure.

It´s really useful spot, even though I use the bush that is a bit more north from that place, requires low profile vehicle tho.

E3 spot (the long hook shaped bush by the houses) for the other base is even better spotting position, covering about half of the map

In case there´s no brawl happening maybe ? Which is like 70% times I play this map, people just camp. Other case may be you, being low tier scout, etc. I´m sure you can figure.

It´s really useful spot, even though I use the bush that is a bit more north from that place, requires low profile vehicle tho.

E3 spot (the long hook shaped bush by the houses) for the other base is even better spotting position, covering about half of the map

From that spawn taking A1 will win you that side a lot easier than spotting in the middle will, I'd rather go for ensuring an establishment of map control instead of weakening the support. I'd rather go win the map corner first and then go there in that case. Things really go to shit if you lose that corner on this map. 

As a low-tiered undergunned scout I do understand though, but never in a medium.

From that spawn taking A1 will win you that side a lot easier than spotting in the middle will, I'd rather go for ensuring an establishment of map control instead of weakening the support. I'd rather go win the map corner first and then go there in that case. Things really go to shit if you lose that corner on this map. 

As a low-tiered undergunned scout I do understand though, but never in a medium.

Yea, well, there wasn´t anything said about when to go there, just that it´s a useful spot... :) It´s nearly useless at the start imo, much better when north advances more towards...north. Not even considered trying to use it with medium. A1 is not a good place for lights, with all those LT boners flying around you, you can bet on being targetted by cancerous fuck or medium rushing your right in your face.

Yea, well, there wasn´t anything said about when to go there, just that it´s a useful spot... :) It´s nearly useless at the start imo, much better when north advances more towards...north. Not even considered trying to use it with medium. A1 is not a good place for lights, with all those LT boners flying around you, you can bet on being targetted by cancerous fuck or medium rushing your right in your face.

The ridge at A1 that one should rush gives you VERY good control of the area and tanks trying to poke or rush will get instarekt by support, that being said, without support on north the game is basically lost and you're better off farming damage

The ridge at A1 that one should rush gives you VERY good control of the area and tanks trying to poke or rush will get instarekt by support, that being said, without support on north the game is basically lost and you're better off farming damage

Taking A1, especially from the NE spawn, is very dependent on team composition. If you have a medium advantage, then A1 is the correct play. If you don't, but you have sufficient TD/arty support, you can defend the entire north side simply by spotting it, and as a passive spotter D3 is a much better option than A1. The enemy team will inevitably rush A1 if they think they have a chance of taking it, so rather than contesting it you can suck them into it, spot them, and let your fire support attrit them. If they can't figure out where you're spotting them from they will have to withdraw, turning a north flank loss into a north flank draw (or even win, if they're dumb enough to keep pushing into superior fire/spotting) and allowing city the time it needs to resolve that flank.

A1 is a spot that needs to be won. The problem is if the enemy don't get lit going into it, the lack of intel usually means your meds are pushing blind and that is never a good thing in pub matches. I am generally in a light tank so I am often at the bushes at d5 or d3 trying to get spots on the med rush. The difference between d5 and d3 being that from d5 you can actually put hits on the meds that stall at d1 and you can do this without being spotted. d3 is a definite no shoot spot. and have your light pointed back down the hill ready to run. My bulldog is good at getting to d3 my 1390 not so much.

the other thing about spotting the med rush early is that it can help stall them. The blues and purples and some greens will generally keep heading towards A1 but many of the reds and yellows that have sixth sense will stop once spotted (SS fear). It even works on better players who have shit teams that they have no confidence in. If they get spotted early they are already looking to backout and you take A1 with no casualties.

Zeven has a really good explanation of how to more effectively use the central spot that looks down into town from the south spawn in fisherman's bay:

es5bIee.png

A couple notes are important here.  First, the lower glacius is weak from that elevation because those tanks are shooting up into my T-54 first prototype, partially negating the slope of the armor (similarly, from that elevation the upper glacius is basically inpenetrable).  Second, I am not angling my tank in order to increase the angle of incidence to my lower glacius (it does alter the effective armor, but only slightly).  I am angling my tank to hide the lower glacius all together.

Wait, wut?

So, there is a destructible building halfway between the two areas in question.  I keep it intact until I am ready to engage the IS-3/110/T-34-3 down there (you will notice I try to get shots through the middle first and that building protects me from recourse from the east).  Then I shoot down the first half of the house.  I then angle my tank so that the second half of the house is between them and my lower glacius.  From their perspective, they have a *steeply* angled shot on my side, most of the front of my tank is behind the building and I can then just slide back a bit to get my own shots while exposing very little of my front.

The second part of the house gets shot down (I think by the 110).  You will notice I move my tank a little away from my solid house (which still gives me cover from their guys in the middle).  I am now using the indestructible white building that is in front of them to block my front (you will notice that I have to move closer to my building in order to have shots on them as they back up).  They have basically the same shots as before (steep shots into my side, very little into the front).  I am essentially side scraping using objects/terrain that are between us.  The moral of the story is that you do not need to be all up on a solid object in order to side scrape, you only need there to be one at a fixed point in a line between you and your opponent.

I think this definitely counts as micropositioning, I've been using that spot inefficiently this whole time just hugging the wall on the building and reversing and poking to minimize my exposure but still taking a ton of hits.

It is a spot we all know but I thought I would add it anyway just to show you guys on lt15 mission what is possible.

Here is the result, I am not near lt15 so was a bit of a waste but you get that. I did it from the other side in my 1390 and got similar results. The key is to look at the enemy team composition. In this case the TOGS would make up half the spotting damage. In the 1390 game it was the big camping tds.

I could post the replay but it is boring. I go to bush I sit in bush I tell tds togs will be coming (because almost all tog drivers will drive down that flank in prokhorovka) tds come to flank and sit and wait. 6k spotting and assistance damage. Game over.

edit: incidentally you will notice I didn't go to the bushes like 5 meters north which are higher and can spot earlier. The reason I don't is because the enemy tends to get spotted earlier and are often in a  little dip which lets them back out without getting too many hits. If you go to the bushes a bit further back they end up coming over the ridge and are pretty committed by the time sixth sense goes off or start getting hit by the tds camped behind me. I might try and get a picture of what I am talking about.

3gruTBi.jpg

UPyi0B2.jpg

P9OQxkz.jpg

zUxMW8M.jpg

edit: incidentally you will notice I didn't go to the bushes like 5 meters north which are higher and can spot earlier. The reason I don't is because the enemy tends to get spotted earlier and are often in a  little dip which lets them back out without getting too many hits. If you go to the bushes a bit further back they end up coming over the ridge and are pretty committed by the time sixth sense goes off or start getting hit by the tds camped behind me. I might try and get a picture of what I am talking about.

It's also a little safer to run from if some dumbass on the other side yolos close enough to spot you. There's a similar setup on the north side, btw, which is useful for similar reasons. Everyone goes to that top farthest-forward bush, but in a lot of cases the bush slightly farther northeast is a better choice.

It is a spot we all know but I thought I would add it anyway just to show you guys on lt15 mission what is possible....

Can you go straight there in a high camo light?  or do you need to clear the center first?  

When I tried going there in a T71, I tended to get spotted, so I would only go there after my team had killed the surfing tanks.  

One thing to add to the prok-bushscouting. I find the enemy tends to yolo more down the wooden path if you are the only scout and you have already been spotted earlier in the field. If I'm the only scout I tend to do one or two ridge-runs to show the flag and then head back to sneak into the bush Acumen used by hopping between bushes and using 6th sense to make sure I'm not spotted.

There is very rarely a forest-path push until you are well set in that bush anyway and spotting enemy tanks too early is pointless if you want friendly camping tds/tanks to shoot, not just SPGs. You want the enemy to commit and get closer to your lines. After your buddies have annihilated the first push (I'm assuming for academic purposes that your pubbies are aware of the fact that they can in fact shoot the red tanks) you can go to the typical E1 bush and then proceed to sneak between bushes until you start spotting something again.

Video of me using my Highway position from north spawn

Marine,

I'd like to thank you for your Cliffs spot. I had some epic games using it, the hill, middle and 3rd line control are real.

I think it's the most usefull spot in this thread, at least of the less known ones.

Thanks!

Can you go straight there in a high camo light?  or do you need to clear the center first?  

When I tried going there in a T71, I tended to get spotted, so I would only go there after my team had killed the surfing tanks.  

Going straight there almost never gets me spotted. If I do get spotted it will be in my 12t before anything else as my good crew has moved up to my 1390. My 1390 and bulldog have full camo crew. I always position myself pointing down the hill. Which should be standard for all scouts that are passive scouting, ie aim towards the exit!

Incidentally in that match once I was spotted I ran and went elsewhere. Often I will just sneak back around and go into the same bush if I think more tanks are on their way. Done right you can almost always get back in because the targets have usually backed out to gird their loins and come charging back down.

Here is the replay if you are interested. 

I would recommend not cutting the corner to go straight there in a literal sense. You'll often get spotted as you cross G2 by tanks rushing to the E3/4 bowl/ridge.  It's better to cut over to the one line at or before H1 and then move north.  This route also has the coincidental advantage of finding you less committed if an enemy light makes a play for the same bush as you.

In the figurative sense, yes, you can go there right off the bat.  Just be ready to bail if an enemy tries for the bush as well.

I would recommend not cutting the corner to go straight there in a literal sense. You'll often get spotted as you cross G2 by tanks rushing to the E3/4 bowl/ridge.  It's better to cut over to the one line at or before H1 and then move north.  This route also has the coincidental advantage of finding you less committed if an enemy light makes a play for the same bush as you.

In the figurative sense, yes, you can go there right off the bat.  Just be ready to bail if an enemy tries for the bush as well.

^^ what he said.

You should look at enemy tank composition and skill level. XVM is helpful in that sense and then make the decision as to whether to rush straight there or go along the red line.

If they have good players in fast scouts that might beat you then as boiler said if you rush straight there get ready to bail when sixth sense goes off. Alternatively just go up along the red line and make your way in which is a safer bet but longer. still be ready to bail out though.

It's also a little safer to run from if some dumbass on the other side yolos close enough to spot you. There's a similar setup on the north side, btw, which is useful for similar reasons. Everyone goes to that top farthest-forward bush, but in a lot of cases the bush slightly farther northeast is a better choice.

I have actually made the E1 run one or two times but that usually only works from the north spawn... still got it done a few times from the south too... this spot may be better.

I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned. This is in my opinion one of the most OP spots in the game at the moment.

For armored sidescrapers only though.

Lakeville, North spawn

a6TLAcB.jpg

3U4JJRg.jpg

Drive to D0 to setup your sidescrape. If your tank is fast enough you can drive a bit further to crush all the obstacles that obstruct the line of sight and then pull back to the sidescrape. Otherwise you can just shoot them out.

As far as I can see there are only advantages to this position, and no serious drawbacks.

- Safe from clickers

- Relatively safe from flanking until it's obvious that your city force is going to collapse, and in a good position to pull back if that happens.

- The pillars that hold up the tiny roof on the building in front of you are indestructible. They are placed perfectly to cover your sidescrape and will randomly eat a surprising amount of shells. You can still easily shoot through them, but your enemy can't.

- Commanding position over one of the most heavily contested areas of the map.

It's perhaps more conservative than going up to the bush behind the farthest building, but it's a whole lot safer too.

Aficionado has some "sweet spots" on his youtube channel.  Some have been covered in this thread, some are new.

*sigh*  Can't seem to get the embedding right.

Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiwF23uR8m-ZypNvacepGk6yUDPNUt0up

Ruinberg @ A6:  I saw this on Patient0's twitch stream and it was new to me.  Bushes in front of the building allow you to safely reset cap or shoot down the diagonal roads.  There's also bushes on the other side of the building that allows you to shoot tanks in the field.

qfehAIs.png

I like a lot of these spots but some are just no damn good for someone who like to drive big damn heavies with crap for camo.

Then again if you are doing big ass heavy tank driving... -> go corridor, go brawl... working as intended. 

Aficionado has some "sweet spots" on his youtube channel.  Some have been covered in this thread, some are new.

Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiwF23uR8m-ZypNvacepGk6yUDPNUt0up

Holy crap thanks for the share, just this one mention doubled my comments section in only 6 hrs. hahaaha. I love finding out new spots I'll be going over this thread with a fine tooth comb and then misappropriating the information as my own. Thank you friends!!

p.s. I have a friend who got "bored" of the game after 10k and I think this thread is a wonderful reminder that you can never know EVERYTHING about World of Tanks. The maps aren't huge but there are so many little nuances to the maps that there is always something new to try out and test. Yeah sure if you just do the same thing every single time then it could get boring but the options are limitless!!!

p.s. I have a friend who got "bored" of the game after 10k and I think this thread is a wonderful reminder that you can never know EVERYTHING about World of Tanks. The maps aren't huge but there are so many little nuances to the maps that there is always something new to try out and test. Yeah sure if you just do the same thing every single time then it could get boring but the options are limitless!!!

They also tweak the maps.  There are several spots I used to go before 9.6 that just aren't viable anymore because of terrain changes blocking the firing lanes that used to be there.  Mines is a big one that comes to mind, they changed hill just enough to kill several good spots on the 1/2 line.