kolni

Micropositioning, show your awesome spots! Now compiled!

On 4/20/2016 at 6:56 PM, SkittlesOfSteeI said:

Too lazy to check if this was posted but I saw Eural yolo to it from south and it he said it works well. It allows you to get shots at the base and at tanks around the base of the abbey.

LhqDm43.jpg

v29dLHD.jpg

I've seen people in that spot before but it wasn't until your post that I tried to get there.  2 out of 3 games I got there and wrecked face.  3rd time I was caught trying to get there and killed.  Best part of this spot is that you can get hull down and people have no clue how to get you out of there.

Found a spot on Mountain Cancer Pass.

Drive up here:

LxWl0VG.jpg

You end up here:

EVQqRnL.jpg

You can HEAT fap on the tanks that hide from people on the iceroad (like our JPz E100).

In this case it allowed me to break the deadlock and somehow drag a win out of this great map control we had.

I watched a few of the videos to catch up on what the mountain goats have come up with. My impression is that 80% of the "new discoveries" are of situational usefulness at best. It got me thinking about some ground rules that allow players to decide which climbs are worth their while and which are not:

1. Long climbs are only worthwhile if you reach a position that is utterly op. If you climb for 2 minutes, you remove your game from the game for that time. Your team is playing with one tank down while you are goating around. Early damage wins games. If you miss out on doing your part early on, you will have to carry much harder later - meaning the position you reach must be all the better to make up for the wasted time.
    • Dumb ass position: crossing the river on Abbey to get shots on the 8 line. Getting there takes almost two minutes, the shots are rather mediocre. Even worse, the position is completely removed from the rest of the map.
    • Worth the time: the crazy Mountain Pass south spawn climb. That position is op covers your own cap as well as the bridge exit and most importantly the main brawling area in the west. Wasting 2 minutes to get up there is an investment that can pay off. What also helps is that Mountain Pass is a map that tends to play out slowly.
  2. Positions in the back of the map are generally not worthwhile. I call this kind of position "loser positions". If a position only becomes relevant once your frontline has already faltered, it is no good. It may allow you to farm some damage but if you are already a handful of tanks down because you failed to have any impact while your frontline was slaughtered, it will most likely remain gratuitous damage. The same thinking applies to most campy TD positions by the way. Your gun needs to be in the game as early as possible without overextending yourself. There is a reason, the people camping in base/the back tend to have <50% winrate.
  3. Difficult climbs are only worth attempting if you have practiced them. The Mines climbs are fairly tricky for example.
  4. Avoid climbs that might expose you to enemy fire. E.g.: The island in the West of Malinovka offers nice spots but there is a fairly high chance that you may get spotted while crossing the river/climbing up. In comparison with more conventional bushes that makes these position a bad trade in my opinion.
  5. Good positions offer a safe and fast way out: Eventually a mountain goat position will lose its value. Therefore you should be able to get down from your mountain top quickly and without taking drop damage. Obviously this is less of a necessity if your chosen spot overlooks your own cap.
  6. Good positions offer firing lanes on multiple areas and cover large parts of the battlefield. This offers a reassurance that you are still useful even if the enemy deploys in an atypical way. This should be evident but there are always the FlorbNoobs ...
  7. Analyze the team lineups and likely zones of deployment before committing to some freak peak. Be ready to abort a climb if you see that you are unlikely to get good shots from your chosen position. For example crossing to the island in the Southeast of Arctic Region makes only sense if there is no arty that can bomb you out of that position.

In general: Think before you goat!:party:

Well, sometimes you get those 11% teams on maps like mines...and no one go town or hill on Mines, just base campers and island idiots...

I climbed there from a start. took me like 4 min to get there in my elc (could not do it in bulldog), but farm potential is insane. 

Anyway, most of the goating is possible only with light tanks and CDC, and winning is rarely an option for that tanks anyway...I do carry hard games on every open map In my bulldog and some with ELC (if game lasts long enough to make an impact with that bad dpm).

Problem is that no one is shooting what I spot. 6-8 spots a game and I still get less spotting dmg then i made. sometimes none.(and i do not suicide rush, I always spot after all are deployed, even suggest where I would go and where should TDs deploy/aim )

6 hours ago, engineered said:

Also, keep in mind that WG's patch notes indicate they're fixing the maps so that most of the goat positions are not possible.

They did that on Airfield already, Skittles posted a way of climbing the enemy ledge from the East spawn. 

Instead of changing the mountain pass spot they should just save themselves the effort and take it out of rotation :doge: 

On Maountain Pass, they should leave some of the goating positions (ok, not the south spawn extreme climb) but the rest since they give viable positions to soft tanks that are levelling the playing field on an otherwise very brawl-focused map.

On 5/16/2016 at 9:38 PM, engineered said:

Also, keep in mind that WG's patch notes indicate they're fixing the maps so that most of the goat positions are not possible.

YEah this sucks on some positions...and I saw someone else make a similar comment.  Look I took the time and found some cool spot.  WG: Well fuck that...reworked...no fun allowed.

Yeah that north spawn on Mountain Pass probably needs to go...it's too OP...but many of the other spots can stay.  I saw someone do the climb on Mines yesterday...and get killed.  I was bummed as he was on my team and we were losing.  My thought was, sweet that guy is going to harvest from there...then he died.  So obviously while a potentially strong position you can defend against it.

OK, this isn't so much of a billygoat spot as a spot I just happened to duck into, but it works GREAT for the WZ-120. I imagine any medium with decent turret armor would find this spot useful as well.

JqCw4ph.jpg

Link to the replay since I am sure attaching the screenshot isn't going to work. If someone less retarded than me can do it I'd appreciate it. I got it to work! Anyway, I tucked into that spot right in front of my tank. 

Never mind, this spot only works if your team isn't 14 fucking brain dead mongloids. Only viable in a platoon I guess.

http://wotreplays.com/site/2734236#mountain_pass-treeburst-wz-120

This works with like 3 tanks in the game. Most lights can not do it, along with any other med worth playing (fuck CDC). I tried with WZ 131, RU, Luchs and Bulldog, without gasoline it can not be done at all, with gas only with WZ and Bull. they have too low horses, or terrain resist, just slip away sideways.

2 hours ago, Felicius said:

This works with like 3 tanks in the game. Most lights can not do it, along with any other med worth playing (fuck CDC). I tried with WZ 131, RU, Luchs and Bulldog, without gasoline it can not be done at all, with gas only with WZ and Bull. they have too low horses, or terrain resist, just slip away sideways.

Not true. RU is the best climber in the game and can do every single climb better than any other tank. 

E0 can be done with ELC, RU 251, M41 GF, T-54 ltwt. BC. TVP, Leo 1 and the same goes for F6 (no gasoline used at all) No clue about chinese lights because I haven't tried. 

J9 is doable in BC, TVP and RU AFAIK (the only ones I've been able to do it with) and B8 is RU/BC exclusive AFAIK

E5 can be done in literally anything that can reach 55 top speed 

Climbing is more about understand traction that is with simply driving up. You line them up perfectly, and then you have to move your tank in a special manner to get traction (A/D pretty much but) on certain parts of the map. Gasoline is not needed for any single boost in the game except for boosting the Lorraine T8 arty up A3 on Steppes. 

Add me in game and I'll take you to a training room and show you what I mean :) 

15 hours ago, Kolni said:

Climbing is more about understand traction that is with simply driving up.

This. I am bad at it...

Thanks for the offer, but i rarely play lights, and since i did missions for campaign, they just collect dust.

ayy. I found a new thing accidently. 

Turns out you can clmib the hill on Tundra from north spawn. You don't have to expose yourself to tanks brawling at those rocks and you can really spook some people because it's so unexpected. You just need to right and left onto the green mossy part of the rock and you're home free.

mLK0ob0.gif

ufT8akB.gif

It works really well because no one knows about it. So you can get some pretty dank flanks like this.

gIkk48B.jpg

x0bkx1f.jpg

SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKERS.

Edited by SkittlesOfSteeI
Fixed picture
On 10/1/2016 at 8:46 AM, SkittlesOfSteeI said:

I have seen it several times in randoms. Unfortunately, i do not play tanks that can do it (lights or CDC), all my meds are too fat. 

6 hours ago, SkittlesOfSteeI said:

Super spooki sniping spot on Swamp, haven't tested it out so much but it looks promising. 

9yOcIHc.jpg

aren't you proxied by the heavies?

the sniperino spot is also out of spotting range

No I actually wasn't. It's not very useful though. All you can really do is climb up higher and drop down behind heavies. It really spooks people.

Also I found this spot while dicking around in sh and finally got swamp in my batchat in a random.

Step 1: Align tank like so. Tracks parallel to the trees.

iQspspf.jpg

Step 2: alternate tapping A and D to maintain traction

A4SpgOf.jpg

Step 3: Climbarino on the hillarino

X7URA1w.jpg

Step 4: Spot everything going 1/2 and camping tds 

R9aXJgC.jpg

Live oaks south spawn defence spot.

3YcBOJ.png

It's not a great place to rush at the start of a game, but when you lose tracks it lets you get some use out of the boobs behind you. If you have a stealth enough tank you can pull behind the bush and lay down some supporting fire of your own.

Personal best is 3k spotting, all of it from an allied A-43 using the 57mm.

Not sure if it has been  posted before but this video has some interesting spots.