Daigensui

Is Su-122-44 Op?

If it's alone vs 2 or more tanks it will be taken out relatively easily.

I have solo'd a type while he tried to circle me. The key to the tank is being in a position where you will constantly get to make shots without taking any. 3-4 shots and you're gone from most decent oponents. I find it can carry quite easily if you still have enough HP at the end of the match.

A friend and myself platoon 2 of them together and the DPM just mows anything - the major weakness is the armour and HP. Sure, it might be hard to pen for little 85mm guns at times, but when you come across anything with about 150mm+ pen and/or tier 7+ you know you will have to take damage to deal it unless you're with tanks that can soak the damage for you.

It's fun as, and as any tank can be, seemingly OP for SOME players like HeavyTwenty who are at one with it (and almost every tank he plays). But it's definately not OP - Most players i see aren't conservative enough. They lose most of their HP within 20s. Use your brain with it and it works to get at least 2000dmg in any match.

but I'm ready to rage sell mine after 4 battles.  

Patience, grasshopper. 

I need to get my crew to 100% - look me up and we'll dual pub them. 

Last couple battles were better, and I'm starting to see the potential...  But I still say the thing is too limited to be called OP, especially solopub.  Could be a platooned monster, though.  Pair it with eyes, or armor, and I could see it regularly eating pubs.

I don't know that I would stand behind a claim that it is OP, but it certainly is a fun little TD with a big punch.  As people have mentioned pen is meh, so a well angled or hull down T29 is trouble, most tier VIII heavies and lets not talk about tier IX tanks are serious trouble for its gun.  That said it is boss in tier VII battles.  100k gross credits is not unheard of and Crab just be patient.  I bought mine after hearing some people really talk it up and I was somewhat disappointed after my first few battles in it, but really enjoy it now.  I am using it to grind my SU-122-54 crew to 100% 6th Sense and then will switch back to grinding my 268 crew. 

It is not a carry hard tank for the most part, as mentioned the armor isn't bad, but not great, the HP pool is very shallow, but if you can use the mobility, camo and make the gun work for you it can do the job.  I am sitting at 55% winrate exclusively solopubbing in it, which isn't great, but given some of the fail teams I have had I feel good about it. 

Maybe I just suck at the game, but I'm ready to rage sell mine after 4 battles.  Thing is blind, inaccurate, lacking in pen, and easily spotted. 

I had the same experience when I first got mine.  I was stuck in the mindset that it is a Soviet Jagdpanther and my stats in it reflected accordingly (bad).  It's an assualt gun, a turretless medium with good DPM.  In tier VII games it can lead flank pushes relying on its trolly UFP.  In tier VII and IX games I hang out in the back of wolfpacks and offer fire support at their spots.

And yes, having hard cover close by is a must with this thing, it seems to have decent sitting camo but it turns into a searchlight when it fires.

Just bought one tonight, 30% off, did over 2300 hp raw damage each game. Yeah, this is a garage keeper.

I do really enjoy mine and since I am grinding to the Obj 263 and have the Obj 268 it makes a great crew trainer.

We drew BT7 on Malinovka last night, had a M5 Stuart that just rolled up and binoc'd their base and it was over after a minute.  Sure we fought for a little longer than that, but the win was secured.  I ammo racked a VK30.01(H), can't remember the total damage I did in the battle, but it was a great fight.  The M5 Stuart got over 6k spotting damage and survived.  I actually got over 1,000 spotting damage as well. 

The accuracy is a weakness, but all and all this thing is a beast at tier.

Before I got this tank I would have gone to the grave claming it is OP.

Not even close.  There are times is feels OP, like others have said (top tier, bonehead players etc).

But yeah, its vision and gun handling easily bring it off its pedestal.

Before I got this tank I would have gone to the grave claming it is OP.

Not even close.  There are times is feels OP, like others have said (top tier, bonehead players etc).

But yeah, its vision and gun handling easily bring it off its pedestal.

Maybe I'm not used to Russian TDs but I find the gun bloom to be pretty crazy.. lose out on so much damage while waiting for it to settle. Hopefully once I get into my 2nd crew skill it will become more useable.

We rolled a trio of them the other night, got sacred valley encounter BT7 and did work.  I died due to reckless abandon, but had the most damage.  The three of us were the top three damage in the battle and it went pretty quick.  Hey if we had drawn a BT9 game it would've been different I am sure.

I just bought one and it's been pretty great so far. My only problem is that I've never really played TDs and frankly I sometimes don't know what to do. Like.. the tank doesn't have enough hp/depression/armour to go to spots where tanks actually fight and take them on frontally, but at the same time you can't sit back and plink at them because you only have 175mm of pen. Himmelsdorf in a tier 9 match for instance is a nightmare for me. I just go hill and pretend I'm a medium.

I just bought one and it's been pretty great so far. My only problem is that I've never really played TDs and frankly I sometimes don't know what to do. Like.. the tank doesn't have enough hp/depression/armour to go to spots where tanks actually fight and take them on frontally, but at the same time you can't sit back and plink at them because you only have 175mm of pen. Himmelsdorf in a tier 9 match for instance is a nightmare for me. I just go hill and pretend I'm a medium.

It can be difficult sometimes.  Your gun isn't very accurate, so you don't want to snipe and take low chance long range shots, but you don't really want to be right up in their face, as the armor is not really that great and you don't want to get flanked.  You can out DPM just about any tank at tier, but your HP pool is low, so its a bad idea to do this early on.

Keep it up and I am sure you will find your grove with it.

I'd agree on most points with this TD. In it's tier its good to great, above that...meh.

I had a great match last night http://www.vbaddict.net/battlereport/pitch-black-na-1ba6f8f132631c4d4e502b2642ec9f89/prokhorovka-soviet-union-t-34-23588339723914262

But I also give credit to poor opponents.

I've enjoyed it so far, but I've also had my ass handed to me more than once.

In my defense; the MM has been out to get me lately.

This thread has convinced me this is going to be well worth the buy at half off.

This thread has convinced me this is going to be well worth the buy at half off.

I am definitely on the fence with buying one half off also. Might invest this weekend.

Does the crew of the isu152 and later tanks fit in the 122-44?

I am definitely on the fence with buying one half off also. Might invest this weekend.

Does the crew of the isu152 and later tanks fit in the 122-44?

This is my only misgiving about it that it only has a crew of four where the later tiers all have five crew members.

This is my only misgiving about it that it only has a crew of four where the later tiers all have five crew members.

Crap.

I mean I could still get it for stat padding, but what I really wanted was to train crew. 

Crap.

I mean I could still get it for stat padding, but what I really wanted was to train crew.

The SU-100Y would be better then as it has 6 crew spots.

The SU-100Y would be better then as it has 6 crew spots.

Yes, but it has two gunners.

On the SU-122-44 you just have to switch the loaders from time to time.

Yes, but it has two gunners.

It also has 2 loaders.  You just end up training an extra gunner for really no purpose whatsoever.

It also has 2 loaders.  You just end up training an extra gunner for really no purpose whatsoever.

Exactly, thats why I would get the SU-122-44 (Even though neither is great for crew training).

I've always been comparatively bad at TDs but share Deus' experience. The gun is an absolute monster if you can continually get in hits, but this is hard considering the lack of depression, lack of view range, bad accuracy, terrible aim time, bad bloom, lack of armor, lack of HP and of course lacking a turret forcing you to have to use all of those bad gun handling characteristics when changing focus.

Tons of potential but the platform doesn't really work for me. With regular mm I'd rather be a T29 or a Tiger.