Garbad

Ahoy polloi! Help me get better at playing cruisers!

It's pretty easy, just stay as far away from Battleships to where you can hit them and they can't hit you. Also American Cruisers are OP don't play Japanese.

It's pretty easy, just stay as far away from Battleships to where you can hit them and they can't hit you. Also American Batteships are OP don't play Japanese.

Err....... How about you get past the low tiers in both the US and IJN cruisers then talk about them. Also, what US battleships?

Generally, you'd want to stay away from BB's unless you know you can pen their armor, which is a case by case basis; however, the IJN are better suited for taking out BB's since they have torps, while US cruisers are better suited for support. The drawback is that the IJN cruisers are lacking in AA and armor compared to the US.

Most importantly, playing the range game in cruisers against BB's and dodging their salvos as they fire is a good habit to get into. As for other classes, learning where the weak-spots and citadels are at will help in killing things quicker, but you still need to be careful around DD's. CV's are easier to deal with when they don't have their planes focused on you; otherwise, get good at dodging.

I think that Garlic might have meant American cruisers, since most consider those far superior to the Japanese ones. However, I, for one, actually prefer the Japanese cruisers (at least at lower Tiers), since you can basically play like a destroyer against battleships with actual firepower once you torpedo them and are getting behind an island, if you have the smoke charges perk of course.

The ability to launch torpedoes into them and get 3-4 salvos of AP in before they can even get their guns in your general direction is absolutely devastating, plus you can club destroyers if you run into them. You just have to stay at a range where they can't torpedo you (don't even bother trying to torpedo them back), and fire away. They'll quickly die.

It varies for dealing with other cruisers, but I generally run away and let allies deal with them and get their attention if at all possible. The last thing you want is to be making straight-up salvo trading, since you can neither dodge like a destroyer (except against battleships at long range) or tank damage like a battleship.

TL;DR: In Japanese cruisers, YOU have to be the one to dictate the terms of engagement. There's no high DPM to save you if you screw up.

Yep, have to agree with that statement. I've been playing around with the Aoba in co-op and I like it better than the Cleveland since it has better pen and damage if you have good aim. I also like the Kuma as well since it has decent guns and torps, not to mention how fast and agile it is. So take it for what it is.

1. Get cleveland

2. Rek some shit

3. ???

4. Profit

Really, that ship is really good.

Only downside of it is that it can't pen the citadel of BB's like the Fuso or Nagato, where the Aoba can around 5km or less, but not recommended cause of secondaries. (Tested on CBT) Even though it's been nerfed a few times, the Cleveland is still very good against anything but armored BB's. (Kongo and Myogi are battlecruisers/Fast BB's so less armor.)

The AA is still good, and having that cruiser ability makes it even better. And generally what you can't pen you can burn down with HE, or settle for moderate damage AP hits.

Only downside of it is that it can't pen the citadel of BB's like the Fuso or Nagato, where the Aoba can around 5km or less, but not recommended cause of secondaries. (Tested on CBT) Even though it's been nerfed a few times, the Cleveland is still very good against anything but armored BB's. (Kongo and Myogi are battlecruisers/Fast BB's so less armor.)

The AA is still good, and having that cruiser ability makes it even better. And generally what you can't pen you can burn down with HE, or settle for moderate damage AP hits.

What ranges were you failing to get citadel pens with the Cleveland?  If at 8+ km the trajectory of the shells should be coming in from on top with little to no armor to stop them.  On top of that one of the biggest issues with this game that I've read from folks who know more about it than me is that armor layouts are poorly implemented to non-existant.  Loading AP all the time, regardless of the target, seems the way to go even though it shouldn't given the guns and armor involved.

As far as tips, the above is my first one.  Load AP all the time.  The last holdout for HE for me was against carriers but once you learn where to aim you can still land the massive damage rolls.

You're the hard counter to DDs as there's nothing a DD can do to you if you play smart (as in, don't go into a narrow when you know one is around and approaching you).  Most objectives are in fairly open water.  If a DD approaches you simply turn around and engage with rear guns, occasionally turning back around to get a broadside.  Since DDs aren't fast enough to overtake you, just more maneuverable, they'll never get close enough to land a torpedo hit and even all their guns can't whittle you down with your much higher hp pool as fast as just your rear guns can kill them with their small one.

You can take BBs as long as you have help.  Smaller guns with faster RoF on more turrets right now are much better than big guns in fewer turrets.  You expend less of your potential dpm in ranging shots and can thus put a higher % of your dpm on the target.  When engaging BBs and their focus is on you you have the maneuverability to change course often while still being able to turn back and engage.  Focus first on survival and let your help take them down.  If they're not on you just keep on course and engage with AP.

My general course of action when in cruisers (and it's the same now that I'm playing the IJN line as it was with the USN) is to go the routes that DDs usually focus on at first as long as friendly DDs are with me or other CAs are and win the fight in that area.  I stay at range, aiming for 8-12km engagements (because if this push fails I can run and be relatively safe).  If we win I use my mobility to shift to the next engagement where I'm rarely the target and burn down the enemy there.

If on the defensive don't be afraid to run.  I've spent many games with my back mostly to the enemy, keeping range, and turning only to get broadsides when they're on reload.  Remember, nothing will catch you in this scenario.  Once you hit tier 6 dive and torp bombers aren't even a concern (though you always turn perpendicular to dive bombers and still maintain awareness of torp bombers).

What ranges were you failing to get citadel pens with the Cleveland?  If at 8+ km the trajectory of the shells should be coming in from on top with little to no armor to stop them.  On top of that one of the biggest issues with this game that I've read from folks who know more about it than me is that armor layouts are poorly implemented to non-existant.  Loading AP all the time, regardless of the target, seems the way to go even though it shouldn't given the guns and armor involved.

Point-blank, I was testing armor belt pens. Also, I just tested Cleveland vs. Fuso at 12km with hardly any angle off the normal to armor. The highest AP hit I got was nearly 4k, everything else was 1-3k light damage. So Cleveland can't get citadel pens on the Fuso, so that rules the Nagato out since it has even better armor.

Armor layouts are a different story entirely.

What's the corresponding HE rolls at those ranges?  The potential dpm of the Cleveland is 50% higher than the tier 7-9 USN cruisers when comparing AP so even if getting suboptimal results I wouldn't be surprised if its AP spam still results in higher effective dpm than those higher tiers with the 203mm guns.

What's the corresponding HE rolls at those ranges?  The potential dpm of the Cleveland is 50% higher than the tier 7-9 USN cruisers when comparing AP so even if getting suboptimal results I wouldn't be surprised if its AP spam still results in higher effective dpm than those higher tiers with the 203mm guns.

203mm guns get more partial penetrations against heavy armor with AP.  the 152's will often yield either bounce damage (like 100 a round), or a completely bounce for no damage.

I really don't like the Kuma because it gets shit matchmaking, has huge citadels and is massive. It reminds me of the M3 lee a lot. If you could actually ever be top tier it would reck but because T4 has cancer MM you end up in T6 the whole time and get RNG slapped to death by Fusos.

The U.S. cruisers are very good to T6 although I can't comment beyond that. They have strong guns and reasonable torpedoes before the Cleveland and the Cleveland is the Cleveland...

As stated above you need to use island cover to your advantage but to stay at range rather than to close like a DD would. Cruisers currently have garbage survivability because reasons so getting hit is bad. Zig zag and pray that shitterfeatures in his Fuso doesn't end you.

as to the question in the OP, CaptainF22 hit the nail on the head.  in order to beat a BB at close range and he knows what he's doing, you need torps.  you'll probably die in the process, but at least you'll do some serious damage or take him down too.  if you have the space to do so, ideal engagement range is as close to your maximum range as you can get while still being able to land rounds on target.  also, don't be predictable.  a simple zig-zag is easy to spot, and a competent BB player will time his salvo to hit you broadside.  I've been posting this gif a lot lately, but it's still as true as ever:

as9sKgV.gif

Watch the BB fire at you and react.  if you're at 14-15 km, you have ~10 sec to move out of the way.  and never dodge the same way too many times in a row.  eventually, you can whittle them down.  it may take a while, but you can come out on top.

Something to keep in mind particularly about American cruisers, is that unless plunging fire at range, you won't be able to penetrate battleship citadels. You can still do lots of damage, just not tons. This limits american cruiser viability against battleships, and one should try to engage a battleship while its distracted.

Also, you have good AA, usE it if there are carriers in your Match.

Otherwise focus other cruisers and dd's

How a game in my Mogami goes:

Citadel out another CA because lol armour. Get killed in one salvo by shitlord Fuso driver because with that many shells RNG is putting one in my citadel. The next patch had better have some cruiser love.

Mogami is so damn good. A shame they are swapping it. So we IJN players get the first much gun much pew pew cruiser at t8 while cleveland still stands in t6 and rofs the shit out of everyone except maybe the fuso

Cleveland is planned to be moved, but that was back in February that it was dropped in a RU dev response somewhere on the NA alpha forums.  so odds are it won't be moved for a while.

I made it to the Mogami and Pensecola (CA after the cleveland) I have been accused of using the aim assist mod because I kept hitting their slow moving BB's with 8 of my 10 shots at 13 KM. If you get the better accuracy piece of equipment instead of the ROF increase one, it makes a substantial difference. It is like virt stabilizers. Cost is 250,000 credits. I use the 6 inch guns on the Mogami because of the much higher DPM. The secret to being good with cruiser is being good at long range shooting and not getting hit. When you get up close and personal, miss only a minimum of your shots. I think you can reliably get 2 or maybe 3 kills, but since you cant hide, you always bleed hp. 5+ kill games are gonna be few and far between.

This game is not WOT. You will rarely kill the entire team. I think to win the game, you will need to meet the victory conditions for each map first. Then kill a few more of them than of you. Capping is key in WOWS or defending the CAP. If you drift out of position you will not get back to cover your base. I expect everyone will adjust to the victory conditions over time.

ROF increase one, it makes a substantial difference

when will people learn

IT'S NOT A ROF INCREASE.

It buffs your turret traverse at the expense of your rate of fire.  you only get a RoF increase with a slot at tier 9+ that costs 1m credits, and it comes at the expense of turret traverse.