Sign in to follow this  
the_bolshevik

Can't stand the pubs anymore? Take a break!

I'm just coming back from a month long break from tanks, and I wanted to share my experience now that I'm slowly easing back into things again. The reason I stopped playing is that I had started to feel a ridiculously high amount of pressure to perform, and playing tanks had become pretty stressful for something that is after all just a video game. Silly me had entered a state of perpetual tilt, and I would easily get annoyed by all the little mistakes I would see teammates make. I had reached the point where I would only be able to play long sessions if I consistently carried my teams with awesomesauce results, and anything less than that would make me tilt out and do stupid stuff.. So I walked away and played some more relaxing (non PvP) games for a while. Mostly I smashed monsters in Diablo 3 and leveled my demon hunter to 70 since I had barely played that game since they released the expansion.

I've only played 20 or so games so far but the difference in my state of mind and how I approach the game is surprising. I'm finding it much easier to enter "the zone" and to just focus on the action without annoying afterthoughts on how bad these pubs are. I'm not sure what has changed, so I think it's just the result of not touching tanks for a while. Last night I got nuked by arty and I didn't even get mad!

The icing on the cake is that my skills as a tanker don't seem to have suffered from the hiatus at all. The very first game I played was a top gun hard carry in which I pushed all the right buttons and made an epic comeback for my team, so it set a decidedly positive tone for my return to tanks.

So, if you're starting to feel frustrated and annoyed by the game, taking a break is probably the best thing you can do.

Just came back after a 3 month break myself and while my skills DID suffer, I am getting back into it now. I take these breaks every now and then (hence under 9k battles despite playing since 2010) and it just helps to make the game fun again when you don't have to aim for X WN8 or WR all the time.

i do find this happening at times, so like you I go spend time doing something else for a few days, or whatever I feel is needed to clear the head. Good advice, glad you are gack and enjoying it!

I can absolutely recommend doing this. I started taking breaks from the game last Summer and have always had fun playing since. If I stop having fun I usually start another WoT hiatus.
Since WoT is the only shooteresque game I play I do notice a decline in mechanical skill. I simply lose my aptitude for quick reactions in tank combat, but that returns quickly after a few games. The tactical skill however remain unless there were major map changes (those can take some getting used to).
Right now I play mostly on and off and my breaks get longer each time.

Diablo 3!!!

Add me, kittikat#1113

I run regular all the time. Not much into Seasonal Grinds, though.

I solo GRift 40~ish, so feel free to join me whenever. Even if you're making new toons.

Diablo 3 has been the biggest disappointment I've ever experienced in gaming. Doesn't help that before I wasn't too interested in Blizzard games and decided to give D3 a try.  Screw it Blizzard, I'm not playing your crap anymore.