_Assad

Best RPG games of all time (in your opinion)

I don't really believe in there being a single 'best evar' kind of game, mostly because personal tastes as so diverse, but RPGs that I can recommend due to my finding them excellent:

- Final Fantasy 6: my favourite of the series (well, of those that I've played at least). Awesome cast of characters, very moving story, solid game mechanics, absolutely stunning soundtrack. Played it on SNES and recommend on that format.

- Final Fantasy 5: very solid entry, big world and decent - and surprisingly mature - story, the main characters, while limited in number, are reasonably well done. Didn't enjoy the job system as much as what was offered in FF6, but it's still quite fun.

- Final Fantasy 4: the mechanics are solid and the story is reasonably good, but it's most memorable for some iconic characters.

- Dragon Age: Origins: extremely entertaining group of characters and a so-so story. Game mechanics are solid, but I found some of the character building (particularly for warriors, which I prefer to play) to be very limited and not particularly interesting. It was a bit sad that I ended up rarely controlling my own character because warriors were the most boring to play, and it was more critical to micro your mage or DW rogue.

- Dragon Age: Inquisition: I wouldn't rank it as being capable of being considered in any 'best' categories, but it's an enjoyable RPG. Combat is a bit tedious but reasonably flashy enough to be entertaining. The plot is pretty sub-par, but the characters are still very well done. Big world, but suffers from extremely bland side-quests (hello fetch city).

- Fallout 3: fairly good transformation into open-world for the series. I really love Beth's ability to construct an open world and have some engaging side-quests. Main plot is adequate. Huge ability to mod.

- Skyrim: pretty much the same deal with Fallout 3. I felt some of the side-quests were not quite as good as those in Oblivion, and the main story still sucks, but the world construction was brilliant and I thought the changes to combat and character progression were vastly superior to Oblivion.

- Witcher 1: very good story and characters, reasonably fun (although quite easy) game mechanics. Setting and mood were excellent, loved the focus on monster hunting and building things based on European myth and legend.

- Witcher 2: took the excellent core characters and built on it even more. Extremely complex and detailed plot, with many branching paths depending on decisions, meaning that they have significant weight. Challenging game mechanics, although a bit irksome to play (roll-spam, but the swordplay was pretty cool once upgraded and you got used to the system). Biggest loss was the vastly reduced focus on monster hunting as the plot shifted to heavy political intrigue. I hated the Quick-Time Events as well.

- Seiken Densetsu 3: fun game mechanics, high replayability due to many variations, good characters and story.

- Knights of the Old Republic: great characters, awesome Star Wars setting, great story.

That's pretty much it for me. I wasn't able to get into the older BW games and to be honest, there's something about the D&D rules that doesn't quite click with me and I tend to get a bit too confused.

In terms of great RPGs though, I am extremely hyped for the Witcher 3 (coming out in just a few more weeks!!). So far, the game looks utterly fantastic. If they can keep the same attention to detail in story, major consequences from decisions, and characters while making it work in an open world environment that gives room for monster hunting and exploration with solid side quests, it could be a contender in those 'best of all time' discussions. What I've seen so far looks amazing - combat seems improved, character development improved, loads more choice in terms of loot, and a huge, huge, huge but extremely detailed world. I just can't wait to play it. My major concern is that the plot might turn out to be the weakest of the triology, as it seems very predictable what will happen (compared to the twists and intrigue in the first two) - find Yen in prologue, get quest to find Ciri, search for Ciri, Wild Hunt turns up again. Clash with them a few times, gather Witchers together, make last stand at Ker Mohren, back where it all started. But, I believe that the devil in the detail will still make it an awesome story.

RPG-7

No really, Oblivion had the right mix of stat managing and RPG. I feel Skyrim was lacking without being able to look at numbers and see where I want to optimize. But any of the Elder Scrolls games (sans online) are great.

yeah i miss the old stat system, but oblivion is pretty shit compared to morrowind, pretty much just simplified shit and added nothing.(shivering isles makes it worth while playing it though) while skyrim simplfide things(one being the stat system) it did add a few nice things, which makes it a bit better.

arena and daggerfall lack a decent control system, other wise they'd be pretty good.(and i'd have actually played them for more than an hour >.>)

something i fond intresting is that modern controls are something that we take for granted, but it took a while for games to get to where we are now.

I put so many hours into FFT back in the day. That game's so good and I haven't played any other that got me into it quite as much.

I have been enjoying Fire Emblem: Awakening lately and it kind of scratches the same itch although it's not quite the same and it doesn't have a quality plot like FFT did.

Also: is amazing. Get it!

Exactly- the endless xp/jp FFT grinds, equipment, character class, cross-class skill selection etc. made for some serious involvement in itself.  Throw in a compelling story of the Church and Civil War and I was hooked- I have the iOS version on my ipad and will occasionally play until my neck is too stiff to move if I let myself. Since the game itself moves slowly, but maintains its addictive edge, which can lead to some serious time sinks.  When I was 14 that game seriously threatened my relationship with my family. 

Will check out Pillars when I can. It's similar?

There has been nothing that compares to the amazingness of escaping the tunnels for the first time and seeing the world presented.  The sheer scale and understanding how much there was to do was mind blowing...

Elder Scrolls:  Arena.

Floppy disk goodness.

FTL

Morrowind

Risk of Rain

KoToR

Deus Ex: GOTY edition

Binding of Isaac

Torchlight II

Mark of the Ninja is a good one, but not necessarily a RPG

That "not necessarily a RPG", you meant it applies to half your list, right ?

Also :

There has been nothing that compares to the amazingness of escaping the tunnels for the first time and seeing the world presented.  The sheer scale and understanding how much there was to do was mind blowing...

Elder Scrolls:  Arena.

Floppy disk goodness.

Arena and Daggerfall were great, but attempted too much. A lot of stuff they put in there was downright useless. Morrowind was awesome, Skyrim was great. And unlike Evelyn, I think Skyrim's rules were a step in the right direction.

Old School favourite : Darklands. Mention to Betrayal at Krondor, too. I sucked at most of the grid-based RPGs I played as a kid (Read : Dungeon Master and Ishar series), less so at those I played later (Read : Eye of the Beholder)

BG 1/2 & Planescape: Torment were awesome, Fallout 1&2 also, despite the clunky interface. Arcanum, also. If you like those, you should definitely try Pillars of Eternity.

Kotors were enjoyable. Kotor 2 had the potential to be the most interesting _least manichean _ scenario of the whole Star Wars franchise, but was a rushed to the market while still grossly unfinished.

Also, Spiderweb games are great for the value for nomad gaming.

Fallout 2.  There's no greater joy than blowing slavers apart with your CAWS.  I've loved all the FO games though.  Even Fallout Tactics. 

My favourite Bioware game is still Jade Empire (I know the least well known). It even beats KOTOR and Mass Effect imho. To me that game had the perfect bland of a unique and challenging combat system, a great story and a unique art-style.

Sadly these days I have have very little time for RPGs (WoT has monopolized my gaming time) - but if you want a shorter RPG with amazing art and a great tactical combat system, check out The Banner Saga. Amazing little gem.

Banner Saga I found...OK. The art and production value are excellent, but the way combat works I find wonky, where you basically have no strength in numbers and beating the bag out of your opponents and then leaving them alive, hanging onto life, is more advantageous than killing them outright. Didn't have the patience to master it all, but again, story, characters, created world etc. are all first rate. 

+1 to Fallout, TES, Mass Effect, Dragon Age

But I'm kinda upset no one has mentioned Neverwinter Nights. Deekin is disappointed in you.

I intended to mention NWN, but to be honest the attraction in that game was less in the official campaign/expansions, and more with the amazing mods and fan-made worlds that I spent years playing on. Made some good friends on a world called Nexus whom I'm still in touch with.

Best RPG of all time?

That's an easy one-- Planescape: Torment. All others are pretenders.

Sure, the Baldur's Gate series had epic length. KoToR had super-memorable characters. The Mass Effect 1 (2 sucks, 3 is mediocre with all dlcs.) is amazingly cinematic. The Elder Scrolls games have huge open worlds. The Fallout games married great stories, characters and a fun turnbased combat system. Dragon Age: Origins harkens back to the glory of BG. The Witcher takes a different, non-Tolkienesque look at a fantasy world. 

But P:T, well, it's a class apart.

^this

+ Pillars of Eternity is mediocre+ but still miles ahead of 99,99% of modern games. same goes with Deus Ex :HR

+ Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

+ system shock is worth trying

+tides of numenera is my greatest hope since the release of bg2

Will check out Pillars when I can. It's similar?

Not really similar to FFT. Pillars is essentially a modern day Infinity Engine(BG, PS:T, etc.) game. Great if you were into those games and in my opinion a must for any RPG fans.

I'm not gonna bother listing all of the RPGs I've sunk hours into over the years, as most have already been mentioned in the thread. Picking a favourite out of all the ones I've played is practically impossible.

To mention a few that haven't come up yet:

Arcanum - A steampunk/fantasy themed RPG by Troika that had great writing and characters combined with lots of interesting mechanics. It also had roughly a million bugs at release, many of which have happily been fixed by fan patches.

Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines - A first person RPG using the Source engine based on the Vampire P&P games(which I'm not at all familiar with). Like Arcanum, it was a Troika game in both positive and negative aspects. The writing was gorgeous, the combat an interesting mix of shooting, melee and magic and the whole game just oozed atmosphere. It was also a horrible buggy mess until fan patches kicked in. Notice a pattern here?

You know how in games likes Skyrim and Dragon Age the race you pick gets mentioned like 5 times throughout the game, mostly in completely irrelevant ways? In VTMB, picking a certain bloodline for your vamp replaces ALL of your dialogue with stuff that reflects your being insane. It's not just gibberish either, there's a ton of clever stuff mixed in that you might not catch if you haven't played through with one of the sane clans first. You can also get into an argument with a street sign.

So yeah, instead of listing the usual Fallouts and Baldur's Gates this post turned into Troika hype. They deserve it though. If only their bug-testing department had been half as good as their writers...

I intended to mention NWN, but to be honest the attraction in that game was less in the official campaign/expansions, and more with the amazing mods and fan-made worlds that I spent years playing on. Made some good friends on a world called Nexus whom I'm still in touch with.

I regret that I never got into the online aspect. I was too young at the time to appreciate it. NWN got me into Dungeons & Dragons, though, so I'm pretty nostalgic about it.

Best RPG of all time?

That's an easy one-- Planescape: Torment. All others are pretenders.

Sure, the Baldur's Gate series had epic length. KoToR had super-memorable characters. The Mass Effect is amazingly cinematic. The Elder Scrolls games have huge open worlds. The Fallout games married great stories, characters and a fun turnbased combat system. Dragon Age: Origins harkens back to the glory of BG. The Witcher takes a different, non-Tolkienesque look at a fantasy world. 

But P:T, well, it's a class apart.

I couldn't have said it any better.

BTW it is on sale on GOG for $3.99 for those who are interested.

I thought of another less known but excellent game: Risen. It's by the same people who did the Gothic games(which I never liked) and hits that perfect balance of exploring a well crafted(not massive as in Skyrim, but better designed imo) world, enjoyable combat and good writing.

Just make sure you play the PC version instead of the incredibly bad 360 port and stay away from the sequels.

Mount and Blade with some of the user content. Nothing cosmic here and I've played most of the prettier supposedly more immersive games listed here. This thing just drew me in and I made my own story and world out of it. Plus riding down enemies riding a horse? Genius!

My most played RPGs are probably Breath of Fire III and IV, the former was my first RPG and what pushed me into learning english. Played FFVIII and IX a bunch too. Also Legend of Dragoon and Valkyria Chronicles, very different games with an awesome combat system.

Also spent a lot of time with Fallout 2, Fo3 and NV doesn't make justice to the series imo.

I also liked Chrono Cross, sue me.

My most played RPGs are probably Breath of Fire III and IV, the former was my first RPG and what pushed me into learning english. Played FFVIII and IX a bunch too. Also Legend of Dragoon and Valkyria Chronicles, very different games with an awesome combat system.

Also spent a lot of time with Fallout 2, Fo3 and NV doesn't make justice to the series imo.

I also liked Chrono Cross, sue me.

Yeah, as someone who thoroughly enjoyed Fallout 2, I was somewhat disappointed when the next entry into the series turned out to be a reskinning of Elderscrolls 4.

The biggest issue with Chrono Cross was that it had goliath sized shoes of Trigger to fill.

Yeah, as someone who thoroughly enjoyed Fallout 2, I was somewhat disappointed when the next entry into the series turned out to be a reskinning of Elderscrolls 4.

My main issue with it is that the excelent dark humor from FO2 was mostly gone in 3 and NV.