https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-F4-dFtdKY

Has been confirmed by WG as legal and ok (as of writing this 14-04-2015)

One of the crucial "skills" of the game, lead and ranging of your guns, has now been replaced with shooting at the ugly little red X...

While this might not affect small, fast ships, in a BB vs BB engagement, the BB that ranges first and or gets that first good salvo has a great advantage in the ensuing fight. I always had a great sense of satisfaction, when in a BB engagement, i was able to range my first salvo perfectly.... now, well its just a mod. I also dont think there should be a torp ranging indicator, but that one is less of a problem, since torps are so much slower and any change in course/speed mess it up.

What do you think, game breaker (as in, will this turn you away from it) or just another mod.

Yes, i have seen this mod. It's annoying, and i don't think it should be a thing, but it's also true that figuring out how to do this yourself, without this mod, isn't that difficult. i wouldn't be too worried about it, just don't sail in a straight line at long distances when you see shells coming your way.

Yes, i have seen this mod. It's annoying, and i don't think it should be a thing, but it's also true that figuring out how to do this yourself, without this mod, isn't that difficult. i wouldn't be too worried about it, just don't sail in a straight line at long distances when you see shells coming your way.

Its more for the principle, sure you learn to aim quite fast, but most tomato's wont. Look at how many basic and easy things in WoT people dont do. Saying that its easy and you can learn it quickly should not be used as an excuse by WG to lets this be.

Its more for the principle, sure you learn to aim quite fast, but most tomato's wont. Look at how many basic and easy things in WoT people dont do. Saying that its easy and you can learn it quickly should not be used as an excuse by WG to lets this be.

I understand, but you asked if it would be game-breaking. it isn't.

no it isn't game-breaking, but it is definitly a huge turn off of WoWs for me

One of the points WG brought up in their reply was that there always was RNG, which means that your shots get still completely miss the target.

WG, fixing skill and mods with more RNGesus

It was in alpha; then again ranging 40km shots does take a bit more practice.

Anyways, aim assist was a gamebreaker then, it'll be no better now.

If one aim assist mod breaks your entire game.. then it was probably not worth playing in the first place. WoWS looks pretty shitty imo. I still have not played it so I cannot say for certain. 

If one aim assist mod breaks your entire game.. then it was probably not worth playing in the first place. WoWS looks pretty shitty imo. I still have not played it so I cannot say for certain. 

Applies to quite a few FPS games with client-side aiming...

that aside,

either put it in the game or ban it, its too big an advantage on its own

Funny, it used to be part of the alpha client nearly a year ago

fSqmElJ.jpg

See that white circle on front of a ship? Yep.

Applies to quite a few FPS games with client-side aiming...

that aside,

Funny, it used to be part of the alpha client nearly a year ago

fSqmElJ.jpg

See that white circle on front of a ship? Yep.

I want to have the flooding bar back....

I want to have the flooding bar back....

Agreed, buoyancy was nice to have (and made torpedoes actually balanced, since they were less "LOLDERP" weapons and more to fuck over your mobility to make it easier for allied guns to hit. sure you can sink someone with enough AP shells below the waterline + torp hits to decimate the bouyancy bar, but it took far longer to kill with that combo than torps alone right now...)

It was in alpha; then again ranging 40km shots does take a bit more practice.

Anyways, aim assist was a gamebreaker then, it'll be no better now.

Aim assist is still in the game (hidden, but it is there).  the lead indicator was what existed before, and what this mod is.

Agreed, buoyancy was nice to have (and made torpedoes actually balanced, since they were less "LOLDERP" weapons and more to fuck over your mobility to make it easier for allied guns to hit. sure you can sink someone with enough AP shells below the waterline + torp hits to decimate the bouyancy bar, but it took far longer to kill with that combo than torps alone right now...)

Well, WG, obviously thought that 2 bars was wayyyyy to complicated for their average players, so now we have 1.... and thats why a destroyer can tank 15 inch shells like its going out of style, because even though they "over pen" there is no flooding too worry about. 15 inch hole in your ship, nahhh, not a problem.

God, that sounds so much better than what we have now.  I'm saddened that I never got the chance to experience that.

Did pelebs actually complain or is that WG's idea?

Yeah you can kinda tell this mod has already become semi-popular

I'm not the kind of guy to yell HACKS, but it's pretty obvious when you watch some Kongo land every single salvo on a multitude of your allied Cruisers from 20km, some even behind some hill or summin. Unfortunately, even with this mod banned, it's not really hard to make reticules that make it pretty clear where you need to be aiming. Until you get amazing at guesstimating leads, you'll always be seriously gimped compared to players who use mods like this. Thats what happens when you make a game so focused on mechanical skills.

God, that sounds so much better than what we have now.  I'm saddened that I never got the chance to experience that.

Using torps was kind of like tracking tanks in WoT, but instead your "shell" is hella slow and it only slows it down instead of outright stopping it.

It wasn't uncommon for a CV player to drop a spread of torps to slow down a target ship before bombarding the crippled ship with dive bombers.

I didn't frequent the forum (outside of KanColle thread) during the first half of my bizarre adventure in water tonks, but when i did look through the thread list i didn't notice any complaints about the 2-bar system outside of some negligible comments in oddball threads.

So yeah, was WG's idea to remove it for god-knows-why.

A dev quote:

snapback.pngArdRaeiss, on 13 April 2015 - 12:57 PM, said:

Okay, let me explain the whole "BP was great!" situation and why it was not so great in practice.

Long ago in the seas far-far away there were ships with two bars to represent structural integrity, stability and combat value - the "HP" for crew/machines/hull/etc and "BP" for buyoancy. You could have sunk the enemy by reducing eiter to zero - BP by hitting with torpedoes/floods/underwater hits, HP by hitting parts over the water(especially citadel space) and causing fires.

And then you would find yourself in the situation when ship with 1% BP could not be sunked as you just can't hit his underwater parts. You have to remove all his HP bar to sunk this 1% BP pile of rust.

On the other hand, some destroyer player could've find himself in situation when he could not penetrate citadel of 1% HP battleship and could not hit him in the unarmored parts - they were already destroyed. No way to sink except by hitting her underwater(if you got some torpedoes left or loaded)... all under fire from such battleship as it keep fighting no matter what.

Frustrating expirience in both cases, happened too often. Bad for game experience.

Here the best example of 1% BP with some HP left battlecruiser - HMS Zeydlits(1, 2). Watch these fotos. As you can see, her bow is underwater. This is due to floods that filled her bow... thru the overwater shell holes. She got so much water from nose wave and firefighting that her bow flood get out of control due to catching more and more water thru the shell holes she got in the battle. All over the waterline. The SMS Lutzow haven't made it to the base as her flood was event worse - but situation and reasons were the same. Any hit to something like water pipes, secondary generator, additional hole to the upper belt near the bow - and SMS Zeydlitz could've been lost too.

1% HP with lot of BP left example would be the KM Bismarck in her last battle - citadel space intact(despite several holes in armor belt - armor slopes were strong enough to hold, as designed) and enemies just could not penetrate underwater part as her belt protectected her from torpedoes due to heavy floods. Any underwater hit - and she would go down.

So, we went back to drawing board. The idea behind HP bar was to represent the ship's ability to fight via number of alive/uninjured crew members, machines state, structural integrity of the hull, etc. The idea behind BP bar was to represent ship's ability to stay afloat; flood lists for various reasons were left behind by setting "your crew is professional enough able to automaticly counterflood your ship"(pretty much realistic - it was crew's task to counterlist while captaing thinks on whole picture).

As you can see, early idea to have them separated was, realistically, wrong - they are inteconnected. And this connection is not simple to simulate, especially when you have limited server power(yes, it is limited, we got enough issues with shell physics; unfortunately we doesn't have unlimited resources even on the horizon). Then we try the single bar idea as combined complex "ability to fight" status. Everything in one at the same time. Easier to show, easier to understand, much easier to finish "almost done!" target. Much easier to store, calculate and to send to clients.

And this is what in the game right now.

I would like to see the full simulation of ship myself(I've played "Destroyer Command" long ago an enjoyed it)... but I know how bad it is for the server and for connection.

Mebbe they complained in RU, but otherwise, it was Lesta's idea.

Yeah you can kinda tell this mod has already become semi-popular

I'm not the kind of guy to yell HACKS, but it's pretty obvious when you watch some Kongo land every single salvo on a multitude of your allied Cruisers from 20km, some even behind some hill or summin. Unfortunately, even with this mod banned, it's not really hard to make reticules that make it pretty clear where you need to be aiming. Until you get amazing at guesstimating leads, you'll always be seriously gimped compared to players who use mods like this. Thats what happens when you make a game so focused on mechanical skills.

People using lead indicator was why old alpha was such a campfest, and skewed the stats the devs are always quoting as why they changed many of the game aspects the way they did. It's that powerful, and that gamebreaking. Its very existence does in fact destroy the game that strongly.

Aim assist is still in the game (hidden, but it is there).  the lead indicator was what existed before, and what this mod is.

Right yeah. That's what I meant. After the lead indicator, any other kind of aim assist doesn't actually mean anything.

Wow guys, it's only just in beta and you're already complaining. There's no WN for ships yet, so let's keep the whining until then mmmkay?

#play4fun

Except it's not that fun even. And the dev direction doesn't give any hope at least that it'll turn around soon.