Panzer9Supertiger

Imposter Syndrome; the reverse Dunning–Kruger effect, the roots of elitism, and sports discussion

Impostor syndrome is a psychological phenomenon in which people are unable to internalize their accomplishments. Despite external evidence of their competence, those with the syndrome remain convinced that they do not deserve the success they have achieved.

Thats me! 

But great post. Its 100% true. I still find myself "trying to be unicum" when I already know I am one, its my greed to become better, I think everyone does this to some extent, but sometimes we can be a bit over the top.

Impostor syndrome exists because people can't realize they are skilled, despite skilled play.  You sometimes see blues talk about how they are shit, despite being top 5%.  That might apply to them.  But to unica?  Fuck no.  Our egos are far to massive and conspicuous to have this flaw.

The thought that I might actually be competent terrifies me.

^ this.

Recent says I'm in the top 0.01%... To think a player can be this inconsistent and be among those at the top of the server... Just no.

From experience:

Recents:

5000 - (4000 dpg basically) Great, but not out of the reach of the normal pleb - I've had my days and even weeks in this zone.

4000 - Good.

3000 - Can carry but not hard enough/inconsistent.

2000 - Inconsistent & has the occasional carry.

1500 - Participation medal for turning up with the correct tank load out & a good crew. OR they're a blue player with shit tank load out.

1000 - Learning how to be above average (i.e. kitting out tanks, mechanics etc).

<1000 - Learning to be average/good... Or just doesn't give a shit.

Edit: I documented it all. I thought I was good when I was blue... Looking back on it, I was okay, but had the most retarded decision making/situational awareness & couldn't carry hard.

Also that quoted post was 50:50 in humour and truth.

Edit: Stop negging me because it's FOTM - this is true for the majority of hard core medium tank players.

There's a reason pubbies sometimes talk about us like we're a bunch of elitist pricks(aside from the fact they're idiots); we can be on occasion.

Never generalize matey, I'm sure there are extremely different individuals within this small community.

I think most of us are frustrated by the amount of incompetence you find at higher tiers (8+). I'm even sure most of us forget that we all (or most) were bad at one point as well. Then there's also people with horrible internets, maybe serious physical problems or something that came up in real life.

Hasswell's opinion is one I share, always focus on yourself instead of wasting your time complaining.

As for stats, in the end, the shitlords are the ones that use only one metric to measure "skill".

Interesting read anyway :)

It is better to underestimate yourself than be over your head.

Not when you use underestimation to demean others. I'd rather have some 4k gloater than some 4k who constantly tries to argue that if you aren't on their level, you're garbage, and the only legit good players in this game are like the top 50 players of each server. I mean, seriously, the standards some of you guys have is crazy. Most of the time I hear "good player" they actually mean "one of the best players on the continent".

IMO, the people that think "3k is crap" are frequently people a bit above 3k and are just speaking down on players that aren't quite on their level.  It might also be that they find playing at said level easy, which other players may not.   When you're competing at the highest level, the skill curve gets steeper, so each extra "level" of skill is harder and harder to attain.  The difference between 2500 and 2800 is a bigger gap than the difference between 900 and 1200... but a lot of that is simply because of the bell curve.

I'm a bad enough player that recognizes many mistakes I make - and am also aware that I'm completely oblivious to a lot of errors I make, too.

But I also know, at minimum, the basics of where people go on most maps, what needs to be done, and what I can and can not accomplish.  So I might not be a pro, and a good night for me is light purple stats, but I can also identify the difference between a terrible player and an average one.

One side effect of a game with a competitive aspect is that you have players that are "pro" level, all the way down to players that would embarrass themselves on a junior varsity team of children half their age.

If Kewei were, say, Aaron Hernandez, and I were an NFL backup player with a relatively secure roster spot (Which is probably a reasonable equation), well, let's just say that I'd make the high school football player look like a fool, never mind your overweight, asthmatic neighbor.

Lastly, there's no better place in WoT to face skilled players in pub matches than the NA servers around prime time.  The average player in tier 10 matches is green.  The only way to improve on that is by playing organized play.

Not when you use underestimation to demean others. I'd rather have some 4k gloater than some 4k who constantly tries to argue that if you aren't on their level, you're garbage, and the only legit good players in this game are like the top 50 players of each server. I mean, seriously, the standards some of you guys have is crazy. Most of the time I hear "good player" they actually mean "one of the best players on the continent".

To be fair, to compare yourself to one of the slobbering retards doesn't feel so good either.  I much prefer to think of myself as .9x kewei than 1.8x average slobbering retard.

We all seem to sometimes forget that WoT is actually a pretty tough game with a steep learning curve. 

The learning curve only gets steep on the upper end. It's not hard at all to understand the concept of not getting shot, or that people can't shoot you through solid houses.

I am a shitter who give zero fucks about WN8, damage or kills. Winning is all that matters to me, especially winning against better opponents.

How bad are my standards?

t_t

The site could be less elitist.

My biggest bone to pick is how often I get little reminders that someone thinks I'm complete shit (usually indirectly).  

The worst are those when someone downplays their route to XXXX Wn8, and claims that anyone who isn't at least to that level is either dumb or not trying.

I don't need nor want you guys to pretend that I'm better than I am.  But a little more acknowledgement of what I have accomplished would be nice (indirectly is fine).  It has taken an extreme amount of effort, reading, watching, analyzing, etc to get to this point, when the starting point was basically someone who just likes board games.  

Best would be to have a realistic understanding of all your skills that combine to make you the player that you are.  Maybe you've master situational awareness form other games, or keyboard/mouse control from other shooters, or strategy and responding to opponents on the fly from...whatever.

But for you to downplay the ability that got you to where you are is kinda insulting to those of use struggling to rise to your level.

Actually, I'm sitting near 2700 recent, and I do consider myself average. As I only judge myself upon what I can do, and I know I could do best. So, at 2700, I consider myself average, and judge other players compared to me.

Might be bad on my part, but that's how I process it.

The worst are those when someone downplays their route to XXXX Wn8, and claims that anyone who isn't at least to that level is either dumb or not trying.

To be fair, it can seem that way.  When you are naturally extremely skilled its hard to imagine that other people can't understand things that seem so basic to you.  I honestly think dark reds are deliberately doing things stupidly.  I can't accept that a breathing human can't understand tactics on a level my dog understands.  Yet there it is.

The learning curve only gets steep on the upper end. It's not hard at all to understand the concept of not getting shot, or that people can't shoot you through solid houses.

That is bull.

There are tons of things about this game that are hidden and only understandable with either tons of study or incredible observational skills. 

The barrier to entry of this game is very high and it drives me crazy that good players have forgotten, or had a leg up by playing other games before WOT.

There is little meaningful in the way of tutorials, guides, etc in game or in WG websites.  In order to figure out the game, the average player has to intentionally seek out alternative paths to get the information they need.  

It's ridiculous to think that the idea that keeping track of 29 other tanks learning where to go on 30+ maps and figuring out how enough tanks work that you can actually fight against them is easy.

I didn't even know the phrase "weak spots" when I started playing, and the knowledge that the front of a tank or turret was the toughest part was not in my repertoire.  There are a million tiny things that you get inundated with at the beginning.  

The line evens out a bit once you know enough about the game that you can actually learn by observing.

For instance, if you are aware that weak spots are a thing, you can take experimental shots at tanks to try and find them.  Or you can go online and search for "KV-1 weekspots".  But you have to get over that first hump first and find out what you don't know.  

For instance, if you know all the basic strategies to avoid being lit, and avoid taking shots, you live long enough to get more experience.

We've all seen newbies sitting in the open for the world to shot at, but few of you guys can remember the struggle to get the tank to go where you want it to, and how to hit (let alone damage) stationary (let alone moving) targets.  It's not really reasonable to look at that player and think "he sure is shit at positioning" when they are focused on learning more elementary skills.  

Nevermind the fact that the game makes it really expensive for a new player to train their first tier 2 with credits or afford equipment, and forces them to play at severe disadvantage.

Nevermind the fact that the vision system is a non-intuitive mess, and newbies aren't given access to the single best tool of learning it (6th sense) until they have played a huge number of games. 

Actually, I'm sitting near 2700 recent, and I do consider myself average. As I only judge myself upon what I can do, and I know I could do best. So, at 2700, I consider myself average, and judge other players compared to me.

Might be bad on my part, but that's how I process it.

black's a shitlord because his recents aren't over 3k WN8 :P

nah srsly i love you black. long time.

I knew I was "special" when I consistently posted 60% win rate for several thousand games. To be able to push the curve on a game as random as this indicates some level of skill. 

I realized I was merely good when I joined top tier clans and started playing in clan wars. For a pubby, I'm good. For a top tier competitive player, I'm average or below average. 

Relative to essentially everything else, tanks is incredibly easy to be good at mechanically. Your average Bubla/Otter member with an equivalent level of mechanical skill in games such as CS:GO, LoL, Dota, SC is nothing special.

While it is true that WoT is more forgiving than, say, a fast paced twitch shooter, mechanical skill does count for something. When watching my replays, Crab always comments on how clunky my aiming and shooting is, and that is because I am old, slow, and do not come from an FPS background.