Panzer9Supertiger

Imposter Syndrome; the reverse Dunning–Kruger effect, the roots of elitism, and sports discussion

I think we all want to be Kewei but deep down we know there can only be 1. We hatez ourselves for not being that one... don't we precioussss!

FYI: I don't want to be Kewei.

This is a game made for Joe gamer, Joe gamer can have fun at 400 WN8, can sometimes pull off some good stunts or platoon with friends who carry him.

We should really leave those people in peace as long as they're not deliberately AFK'ing. Even people who are parking close to arty in order to do some role playing as a protector should be left in peace.

I have a couple of friends who can't take the stress of PvP, have no motoric skills, are not competitive, do outlandish stuff... They have fun on their own terms and play according to the spirit of the game. Why should they get better? Doesn't matter if they have 10k or 40k games.

I've often wondered why people get so mad at teammates who clearly don't really know how to play and don't do the "right" things. Is it because although we all like to think it is our own individual skill that matters (and is measured by the pretty colors), we recognize that it is a team game and those guys are significantly affecting our chance to win!? I get that winning is fun, it's what I care about. But if we weren't so invested in tracking winning, and the effect on our stats of not winning, would there be such rage? Or would we just say, "oh well, had a bad team that battle, but I played well...on to the next one"?

I understand being disappointed in one's team, and wishing people played better so we could have more fun and win more. But I see far more rage and trashing than disappointment, at least in the game and in the clans I've been in. I enjoy watching Zeven and Lemming and some others, for that very reason. They are very good, but also understand they can't carry every team and don't sweat it much when they don't. If I wanted to be anyone else, that's who I'd want to be.

I wonder if for many of us, the "game" is actually about shooting pixel tanks and enjoying the skills and strategic play necessary to stay alive and shoot multiples of them, or about pixel colors and the competition to have the elite colors as a symbol of such skills. One of those games is kind of relaxing and fun. The other is stressful (particularly when we feel others out of our control are affecting it), and ultimately, not very meaningful.

This is a game made for Joe gamer, Joe gamer can have fun at 400 WN8, can sometimes pull off some good stunts or platoon with friends who carry him.

We should really leave those people in peace as long as they're not deliberately AFK'ing. Even people who are parking close to arty in order to do some role playing as a protector should be left in peace.

1) most games are made for Joe gamer. A game made for rocket scientists would be freaking boring and would bankrupt the developer in the first 3 months.

2) This thread is about  Purples and to a lesser extent blues who think they suck when they don't, just to make us average people feel like shit.

3) I do and I bet MOST (not all) good players leave reds and yellows that actually try alone. When I rage, I rage at either a bot and try to get them reported (rare) or good players who deliberately sit up the back to pad their wn8. Quite frankly as someone who likes to play light tanks I rely on arty and camping tds to win me games and the noobies that ensure the arty stays alive longer I actually appreciate. 

Then there's just legitimate shitlourdes.

<- This person

1) most games are made for Joe gamer. A game made for rocket scientists would be freaking boring and would bankrupt the developer in the first 3 months.

2) This thread is about  Purples and to a lesser extent blues who think they suck when they don't, just to make us average people feel like shit.

3) I do and I bet MOST (not all) good players leave reds and yellows that actually try alone. When I rage, I rage at either a bot and try to get them reported (rare) or good players who deliberately sit up the back to pad their wn8. Quite frankly as someone who likes to play light tanks I rely on arty and camping tds to win me games and the noobies that ensure the arty stays alive longer I actually appreciate. 

I am sorry, but I've never had any problems recognizing my competence or incompetence in games, be it (RL) basketball, soccer, chess or any PvP game and I have a hard time believing that a player with purple stats is not able to do it too. What's so hard about it?

Maybe it is the times of helicopter parents who make every kid believe that they're special/awesome/unique and that the world is out there for them to take...?

Going from Joe gamer to a rocket scientist is a nice hyperbole. There were some niche games called DAoC and EVE which became quite popular and had some of your "rocket science" too it at the start. EVE is still around but a mainstream game by now and DAoC getting a reboot in form of Camelot Unchained, so a business model is possible with a hardcore PvP niche.

In my experience from gaming, average people look up to the better players - unless it is some toxic community where everybody spouts "noob" or whatever. And good players take the average players for what they are, average.

I at least appreciated it to have the chance to play against a super good set group in DAoC while running in an average one, even though we lost 99 out of 100 fights.

And I am quite sure that the average players who I've had taught a lesson in EVE appreciated it too.

So no, I can't support the imposter syndrome and the kruger effect being valid for gaming when it comes to average and above average players. It is diametrically opposed to my experience.

Going from Joe gamer to a rocket scientist is a nice hyperbole. There were some niche games called DAoC and EVE which became quite popular and had some of your "rocket science" too it at the start. EVE is still around but a mainstream game by now and DAoC getting a reboot in form of Camelot Unchained, so a business model is possible with a hardcore PvP niche.

I am not going to argue because I am too tired. But I will say eve isn't made for rocket scientists anymore than WOT is made for real tank drivers. Both games are made for wanabes.

I have no issue with the play4fun crowd. What usually happens though, is due to the nature of the internet, the average maturity of those on it, and general human nature, those play4fun folks are just as likely to shit talk their team as a super-cum who can actually back it up with some degree of skill.  This is where calling their stats in to question/shaming comes in.  If you play for fun, fine, then play for fun and shut your damned mouth, and don't be a dick to your team when you yourself don't know how to play well.  Otherwise any criticism you draw due to your own ignorance is well deserved.

It seriously doesn't take much more than fucking common sense to play at 53%.

When I started, I hit 53% completely effortlessly by playing based on a few key rules

1. If you're not reloaded, don't poke

2. Face frontal armor towards any fire

3. Don't fucking think that you can take on two tanks with one

If you are below 50%, you are retarded, if you're at 53, you're just applying common sense.

none of this is common sense.

#1 requires you to see the game from the enemies perspective, and to resist preemptively moving to a good position

#2 requires you to know that frontal armor is thicker than side armor...common knowledge among history buffs perhaps?

#3 requires you to understand that when you are in the open, you are one versus everyone that can see you.  this is LEARNED knowledge.

You are so far removed form brand-newbies that you can't even comprehend what they are like.  

#1 The reload timer is on your screen and requires no other knowledge. It even has a counter, a colored bar, and makes a sound when you reload.

#2 I guess you didn't play the battle tutorial, if you don't play the tutorial its your fault. It specifically has you learn that shooting the rear is better and how armor layout works. This requires no out of game knowledge and people who skip tutorials are either arrogant, idiots, or ADD/etc.

#2.1 your rectile tells you if you can pen as well.

#3 He said nothing about being in the open, so this is a strawman. Being in the open is retarded regardless and if you are in the open in most games and IRL it is bad b/c it is vulnerable. If you don't know this, then you might be retarded as well. If you don't understand the ideas of cover, camo, stealth, and surprise, as the prime predator on this planet, you might have brain damage.

#3.1 Taking on two tanks at once is bad. If you can't figure out that their dpm/hp is more than your dpm/hp, or simply that 2 is more than 1 and its a disadvantage, you are a moron, you are not rambo. There might be hidden tanks on either side of the equation but if you see MORE you shouldn't engage especially since you can proxy for 50m and know whats around corners. Peaking down alleys first is always dangerous unless you are fast and got there first.

And the reverse is also true, pubbies won't push when they have massive advantages, even in cases of a mixed salad of green yellow and orange players won't push their 5v2 or 3v1 advantage when the tank count is low. Even when it is obvious there are not other tanks they WON'T push their advantage.

They simply won't be aggressive ever even if its in their favor and benefit.

#1 The reload timer is on your screen and requires no other knowledge. It even has a counter, a colored bar, and makes a sound when you reload.

#2 I guess you didn't play the battle tutorial, if you don't play the tutorial its your fault. It specifically has you learn that shooting the rear is better and how armor layout works. This requires no out of game knowledge and people who skip tutorials are either arrogant, idiots, or ADD/etc.

#2.1 your rectile tells you if you can pen as well.

#3 He said nothing about being in the open, so this is a strawman. Being in the open is retarded regardless and if you are in the open in most games and IRL it is bad b/c it is vulnerable. If you don't know this, then you might be retarded as well. If you don't understand the ideas of cover, camo, stealth, and surprise, as the prime predator on this planet, you might have brain damage.

#3.1 Taking on two tanks at once is bad. If you can't figure out that their dpm/hp is more than your dpm/hp, or simply that 2 is more than 1 and its a disadvantage, you are a moron, you are not rambo. There might be hidden tanks on either side of the equation but if you see MORE you shouldn't engage especially since you can proxy for 50m and know whats around corners. Peaking down alleys first is always dangerous unless you are fast and got there first.

And the reverse is also true, pubbies won't push when they have massive advantages, even in cases of a mixed salad of green yellow and orange players won't push their 5v2 or 3v1 advantage when the tank count is low. Even when it is obvious there are not other tanks they WON'T push their advantage.

They simply won't be aggressive ever even if its in their favor and benefit.

I'm getting tired of explaining how a newbie sees the game to experienced videogamers. 

My answer to all of your objections is that you are assuming gaming knowledge in all of your logic.  You are thinking so far ahead that you can't see what you are skipping over.

For instance, you assume that because everyone knows when they will be loaded that they understand what poking is, and what its benefits and risks are.  These are things that are learned.  

Instead of wasting more of my time, I'll leave you with a picture of the last time I tried to complete the tutorial:

FailingTutorial_zpsf8a802e4.jpg

I'ts really hard.  Lil help?

While I'm certainly not great, I know I'm at the very least decent. This is also one of the first games I've ever played. I'm currently 16 and I didn't start playing video games until late 2012 to early 2013. I have minimal mechanical skills as is noticeable in my awful hit rate. I do think this game relies more on your ability to multitask and process information quickly and make decisions quickly. I don't have any hard data, but I would be willing to guess your average unicum is likely more intelligent than average. I know someone who never broke yellow but is currently playing nearly top level in CS:GO. Most pubbies that stay <48% forever and don't not usually just don't have the requisite mental skill set. Another part of reaching the upper echelon of players is being metacognitive. You have to be able to analyze your own thoughts and how they effect you in addition to recognizing and controlling every possible variable. This relates to the topic because this isn't something that you really realize. Most people who are unicum have this and that's what allows them to progress. And if there's a skill you don't notice and is essential, it's going to make everyone who doesn't have it look ridiculous. Again, I'm not very good and am definitely a psychologist so I may be horribly wrong.

It seriously doesn't take much more than fucking common sense to play at 53%.

When I started, I hit 53% completely effortlessly by playing based on a few key rules

1. If you're not reloaded, don't poke

2. Face frontal armor towards any fire

3. Don't fucking think that you can take on two tanks with one

If you are below 50%, you are retarded, if you're at 53, you're just applying common sense.

You're wrong and it ties in nicely with this thread.

I see many posts implying being green, or 53% or thereabouts only requires a modest level of consciousness and sobriety but that ain't the case.

I personally know you can have a lot of knowledge and respect for the game and still struggle to go North of 51% and I'll bet there are a lot of different reasons why.

For me personally i suspect always playing on tilt, the frustration of the SEA meta, grinding everything simultaneously all the time, and or having my wife/ kids breaking my flow is a big contributor.

What i will say is i suspect i, and many other greens could break into blue or light purple relatively quickly by eliminating big flaws in our play and then it would seem easy to us to 53% too but until we get the flow/ discipline to drop these flaws i can assure you it's very real to be a good capable player and still have shit stats.

Would appreciate blues and purples realising this and instead of saying l2p like dicks, say something more helpful (in the wotlabs tradition) like "focus on your biggest flaws eg early unwarranted aggression and eliminate them" or "gain consistency by focusing on just one style of tank at a time"

Thread hits on some stuff I've been thinking about a while

Another tangent i wanted to throw out for any padders out there: consider the case of Bernard Loiseau a three michelin star (superuni) chef in France who committed suicide

Simplisticaly he'd gotten to the top of his game but perhaps had gotten there artificially (padding) or was legit but couldn't take the pressure of maintaining that standard.

Makes me wonder how many top players are clinging on by their finger nails to deep purple and perhaps can only play certain tanks or only in plats or only a few games a day as the standard is just too high and no fun anymore. ...?

Edited as this sounds disrespectful to the wotlabs population that i largely respect. Sorry didn't mean to imply this was all our even many, but it might just apply to some on wotlabs and surely applies to some in the top of the wot player base..

Makes me wonder how many top players are clinging on by their finger nails to deep purple and perhaps can only play certain tanks or only in plats or only a few games a day as the standard is just too high and no fun anymore. ...?

That's the #1 reason I don't try to pad... it's less frustrating to have plateaued than fake your way to a higher stat and then lose it.

I think that once you've started to play in the top 5% and above... Which is pretty fucking damn good, guys... You can easily forget how difficult this game is.

If you want a reminder of how much there is to know in order to excel at this game try tutoring a brand new player. This is true of a lot of games. Have a Minecraft server and invite a couple of guys who have NEVER played it before. After 5 minutes of instructions you'll realize how much there is to know in order to play the game without having to look at the wiki every few seconds.

When my wife started a WoT account and wanted help we were only 3 minutes into her first battle when I realized that to master, or even become competent, with a lot of the game's mechanics is actually pretty damn difficult.

So, while it may be easy to throw some rules out there like "don't poke if you're reloading" and "don't go around the corner if they are looking at you" and a whole slew of nickel and dime tidbits that help one become "good" at this game... Some of you have gotten to the point where you are remembering and implementing all of these "rules" subconsciously.

It is difficult to get to that place.

As far as I'm concerned anyone with >50% WR and solid green has the potential to master mechanics. The foundation they are starting with means they first do no harm, which is a good place to start.

I see many posts implying being green, or 53% or thereabouts only requires a modest level of consciousness and sobriety but that ain't the case.

I personally know you can have a lot of knowledge and respect for the game and still struggle to go North of 51% and I'll bet there are a lot of different reasons why.

For me personally i suspect always playing on tilt, the frustration of the SEA meta, grinding everything simultaneously all the time, and or having my wife/ kids breaking my flow is a big contributor.

What i will say is i suspect i, and many other greens could break into blue or light purple relatively quickly by eliminating big flaws in our play and then it would seem easy to us to 53% too but until we get the flow/ discipline to drop these flaws i can assure you it's very real to be a good capable player and still have shit stats.

Would appreciate blues and purples realising this and instead of saying l2p like dicks, say something more helpful (in the wotlabs tradition) like "focus on your biggest flaws eg early unwarranted aggression and eliminate them" or "gain consistency by focusing on just one style of tank at a time"

I have to disagree, and agree with instead with Echelon, though I'd put it in a much more diplomatic manner.    Just because a certain level of performance is the mean, median, or mode, doesn't mean that level of performance isn't bad and/or failing to display a modest level of consciousness.   People confuse "average" with "in the middle of a range of value judgements".

This is why you get guys saying things like "well, when I started it wasn't obvious that the front of the tank had the thickest armor, and that therefore you should point the front at the enemy".  Just... no.    Sure, it may be understandable that someone had never considered that.   But the reason they never considered it is because they'd never really even thought to try.    And that's ignoring the fact that the armor thickness (on paper) is right there in-game for you to look at.

There is a certain ruthless, competitive mindset that people need to develop to succeed in games like this.  A lot of people lack it, and a lot more WoT players than normal lack it because WoT attracts a lot of players that are not part of a traditional shooter or PvP audience.    If you don't go into a match understanding that the other team might have sentient players trying hard to defeat you, you're going to get rolled.

If you have XVM installed after a battle right click a purple to see his stats, in particular xte for each tank, it's comical to see a purple that padded hard in one tank have his stats show a sea of yellow/green

So, while it may be easy to throw some rules out there like "don't poke if you're reloading" and "don't go around the corner if they are looking at you" and a whole slew of nickel and dime tidbits that help one become "good" at this game... Some of you have gotten to the point where you are remembering and implementing all of these "rules" subconsciously.

It is difficult to get to that place.

As far as I'm concerned anyone with >50% WR and solid green has the potential to master mechanics. The foundation they are starting with means they first do no harm, which is a good place to start.

IDK for purple, but to get green there's one single step: learn to fucking shoot. When I realized how much potential damage I was wasting I was horrified; in any battle screen check a random tomato to find that he fired 20 shots, penetrated 2, all he would have had to do to have had an amazing game was to stop wasting his shots.

I've just realised in my op i implied going green was challenging. Its not. (based on the level of play i consider basic).

Reason is i use the old 6x scale wn8 where green is 1350 wn8 not the 900 it is now on the 10 colour scale posted on wotlabs home page.

I agree with other posters that penning shots can get you green nowadays, since bar to green is low.

It IS still challenging to break over 51% WR- i stand by that

If you want a reminder of how much there is to know in order to excel at this game try tutoring a brand new player. This is true of a lot of games. Have a Minecraft server and invite a couple of guys who have NEVER played it before. After 5 minutes of instructions you'll realize how much there is to know in order to play the game without having to look at the wiki every few seconds.

I couldn't agree more.

I've taught multiple players from scratch, and the number of things to learn is brain melting to a new player.  You have to focus on just a few key things, and then introduce the rest as they become ready for it.  

That's like saying that someone is gloating when they call themselves "fine". We dont call ourselves unicum because of what unicum means, we call ourselves that because it's generally the accepted term for someone with those stats. Not legitimate to call us pricks at all.

Caveat: If someone is acting like a prick because they have good stats, it's okay to call him/her a prick.

Wotlabs has a culture of excusing bad behavior because of good stats and that has to end.

So basically... "big flaws in play" + "lacks discipline to correct those flaws" = "good capable player". kk.

If you asked me, "lacks discipline to correct flaws" is the hallmark of a baddie, not a "good capable player", because that lack of discipline means they will never improve.

Focus on your biggest flaws? I've already named three: Don't poke, Don't fight when outnumbered, and Face frontal, NINE in ten errors players 53-55 and under make are those entirely avoidable mistakes.

And I speak from observing the evidence, 90% of those errors in reviews I point out? Fundamental exposure management errors, not forced errors, I even put out a guide to how to recover from a blunder.

You talking about your wife and kids breaking your flow is simply an excuse. I play on 300 ping and ~25 FPS, I'm have trouble in a close in fight and am handicapped when I poke to squeeze a shot off, yet I still manage my 60%@2600, everybody deals with disruptions, Wot is a game about positioning and playing smart, and less so on twitch reactions.

Your wife and kids and cat and dog do not compel you to drive your maus up himmelsdorf hill, they do not compel you to YOLO your M18, that's all you.

So basically... "big flaws in play" + "lacks discipline to correct those flaws" = "good capable player". kk.

If you asked me, "lacks discipline to correct flaws" is the hallmark of a baddie, not a "good capable player", because that lack of discipline means they will never improve.

Focus on your biggest flaws? I've already named three: Don't poke, Don't fight when outnumbered, and Face frontal, NINE in ten errors players 53-55 and under make are those entirely avoidable mistakes.

Yep as defined by the wotlabs home page and wn8 scale that is a good capable player. I think your own definition of good differs; perhaps only a light purple is "good" in your books? That's a funny shaped bell curve.

Respecting your convictions on the three flaws i think there's actually many and varied reasons holding players back from very good to greatness and per the theme of the thread i think it's nice that the elite disagree and think it's that simple :-)

agree there are no excuses, but things do hold us back irl and it's hard not to cite things that definitely degrade ones play

Yep as defined by the wotlabs home page and wn8 scale that is a good capable player. I think your own definition of good differs; perhaps only a light purple is "good" in your books? That's a funny shaped bell curve.

Respecting your convictions on the three flaws i think there's actually many and varied reasons holding players back from very good to greatness and per the theme of the thread i think it's nice that the elite disagree and think it's that simple :-)

agree there are no excuses, but things do hold us back irl and it's hard not to cite things that definitely degrade ones play

Then WN8 has the names wrong, you could retitle Green as "godly" and a green would still be a green would still be a green. The whole "lacks basic discipline" thing tells me that greens are bad, because it means that those huge flaws will never be corrected.

The to appease shitlords who didn't want to be called bad. If you are red, you are a shitlord, not a beginner.

If you asked me, below 45 should be called "incompetent", 45-48 "minor competence", 49-51 "average", 52-54 "technically competent". But the truth is that that is irrelevant, a name is a name, changing a name will not magically make you a good player.

Being in the top 40% means you are in the top 40%, it does NOT mean that you are good.

Let's consider two examples:

Anybody with at least one year in culinary school would automatically be in the top 25% of the population at cooking, does that make them good cooks? Well, yeah, they won't be masterchefs but you can trust that they could prepare a fairly decent meal.

Anybody with at least one university year in Anatomy 101 would automatically be in the top 25% of the population in performing surgery, does that make then good at surgery? Fuck no.

Both members of these groups are in the top 25% of the population in their field, yet one would do an alright job and the other would literally kill people.

Above average and good are two very different things.

I couldn't agree more.

I've taught multiple players from scratch, and the number of things to learn is brain melting to a new player.  You have to focus on just a few key things, and then introduce the rest as they become ready for it.  

I would agree. T1 play that a new player is introduced to, the "play4fun loltraktor autopen-all-the-things" has literally ZERO to do with later game play. The "tutorial" is woefully inadequate and teaches you very little about actual game mechanics. Weak spots isn't even mentioned other than, "Shoot enemy tanks from the side or rear.". Which in most cases is not possible because everyone is hiding behind a rock/building (because arty) and the only shots you get to make are against (seemingly) impenetrable front armor. Certainly lead to a lot of frustration for me until I learned how to deal with some of the more commonly played tanks at low tier like the KV-1. 

I used to be a tank crewman, M1A1 and M1A2, and spent a large amount of time in simulators and live training exercises. Real life tankers are taught lots of land navigation, how to travel covertly, hull down battle positions, formations, convoy maneuvers, and most importantly teamwork. Teamwork does not exist in random battles unless you are platooned. Randoms are full of disorganized grab-ass civilians that do not understand that "Teamwork is Life" in combat. Assuming you are the only platoon in the match, you and your team mates need to be capable of killing at least 5 enemy tanks each match in order to compensate for the lack of teamwork from others. WoT is not a simulator, I get that. But most of the maps really lack places to hull down and not get raped by artillery fire. There is literally no open-field play. If you are attempting to engage an enemy team on an open field with modern day tank tactics, you'll lose your ass at this game. I've done a fair bit of exploring the maps and every time I find a spot that my training instinctively tells me would be an ideal position, there will be nothing to shoot at, or if there is a possibility of gaining height or visual range superiority there is some bit of indestructible cover preventing me from making use of the advantageous position. Matches are literally all about hiding behind those 2-3 "good spots" at the beginning of the game, and then mopping up the remnants after all the lemmings have "yolo'ed" into the meat grinder. In some cases even hiding behind hard cover doesn't matter, simply because everyone that plays arty or TD's past T5 learns those handful of spots "everyone" goes to and starts splashing damage or hammering you to pieces from outside your view range. Which is good on them because they're the better player, but it's not blatantly obvious to the random John Smith playing tanks for the first time.   

Even though I know quite a bit about both modern and historical tanks; nothing from my real world experience, except for hull down combat training, has any relation or bearing on this arcade game. I would say that my real world experience is actually a detriment because I'm fighting learned behavior that would keep me and my crew alive in a real world combat situation. Real sabot rounds (APCR) are hilariously devastating, and it's one-shot one-kill. 120mm DU Sabot will go through a modern tank like shit through a goose. Sabot also has a nasty reputation of taking humans who were once inside the tank, shredding them with red hot steel, and sucking the liquified remains outside the tank through a little 2 inch hole. Spraying them, more or less, evenly across 200 meters in a neat 30 degree cone. The one persistent thing that makes no sense to me, shooting the cupola of a tank in real life is effectively useless, you tear the hatch off, cause some spalling, but the enemy tank will most likely still be able to kill you back. Repeatedly shooting it does even less, eventually there is nothing left to shoot, and the tank is still murderously functional. Shooting the cupola is not a kill shot. Ammo rack, engine compartment, pretty much anything between the drive sprocket and idler wheel, or turret ring. That's what you shoot at. From 1000+ meters preferably. Gun accuracy? Pretty much all tank cannons were dead nuts accurate at 100 meters. The wild shot mechanics when engaging a tank at 100 meters in WoT is utter trash and totally unbelievable even in an early historic context. Hitting exactly where you want at 100 or 200 meters shouldn't even be a question with any tank mounting a manually fed cannon. Hitting a target the size of a tin can at 100 meters is basic skill for an infantryman firing a .30 caliber rifle from an unsupported standing position with iron sights. The aim bloom common to infantry FPS games is just ridiculously poor game design in a game where the weapon is a cannon mounted on multiple tons of steel deliberately designed to stabilize said weapon. It's only purpose is to make the game more diffucult for the newbie, because the senior players have skilled crews and equipment that negate the worst of the horrid accuracy mechanics.       

But enough of me ranting about shit I can't change. It's an arcade game about tanks. And arcade games are intended to do one thing. Suck money out of your pocket. Back in the early 90's that was obvious. I dumped my share of quarters into the MK3 machines at the local arcade. Back then we had our pinball wizards who would sit and play for hours off a few bucks in change. Same thing here, we have our Purple Tank Wizards and one thing common to all of them is the realization that the only thing they are really competing against is their own performance, hence the focus on raw statistics, and the constant self-criticism. Because they are hard on themselves, that's the drive that makes them good. "Oh I'm shit because I didn't pull 4500 WN8 every game last night and I lost one game because I didn't turn my tank 1 degree to the right to get that autobounce...my performance was utter garbage.". I've noticed that the really good guys don't say things like "I'm shit because I had one bad game", they say "my performance last night was bad/off/underpar". I've found that internal mental dialogue is very important to my own performance, professionally and recreationally. For example telling yourself "I am bad" versus "My focus is in the shitter, I need to concentrate." allows you to maintain perspective and perform under pressure. It's that ability to perform under pressure that stratifies players. The difference here is that one person (better than 90% of the playerbase) criticizes himself by attacking his own ego destroying it and his confidence at the same time. This leads to a precipitous falloff in performance after that "one bad game". The other player. The 99.99% Demigod of Pixel Tanks attacks his performance, not his ego, maintains his confidence in his ability and is able to further refine his skill. 

For the rest of us, what comes intuitively to a unicum is something that needs to be actively trained, practiced, and applied like any other learned skill. 

For those that say. "It's just common sense, if you did XYZ, or played ABC, et cetera... you wouldn't be such a shitter.". The game isn't that transparent, it's actually quite opaque and obtuse. Deliberately so. It's designed to suck money out of the pockets of chumps. (Because gold tanks are better than regular tanks right? Right??) This person has developed a personality that doesn't sympathize well with others and fails to recognize or acknowledge that they too, were new to the game. These kinds of people make very poor mentors because they are more concerned with fitting in with the "elite" than genuinely providing assistance to those looking to get better. It's more about humiliating the ignorant newbie. The newbie is just looking to get rid of their unwanted ignorance. Much like the real military there are plenty of malignant egoists more concerned with pulling rank, power tripping, and hazing the newly enlisted with shitfuck mindgames than providing them with practical skills to keep themselves alive in combat. 

This forum is no different. 

It's just a matter of tuning out the drivel and focusing on what's practical and relevant.