GunnSm0ke

Witcher 3

I'm a big fan of Witcher 1 & 2, and I'm liable to purchase this game the moment it goes on sale. How does Witcher 3 compare to the previous two?

Or went the route that doesn't really have you dealing with her at all, heh, for the main playthrough.

To be fair, you can spare her whether or not you go with Iorveth.

Just don't kill her at Loc Muinne.

I'm a big fan of Witcher 1 & 2, and I'm liable to purchase this game the moment it goes on sale. How does Witcher 3 compare to the previous two?

Let me put it this way. Why haven't you bought it yet?

To be fair, you can spare her whether or not you go with Iorveth.

Just don't kill her at Loc Muinne.

Let me put it this way. Why haven't you bought it yet?

True, but if you go with Roche, then...

You don't find out Saskia is, in fact, the Dragon.  At least, as far as I remember.

How much impact do the previous games have on the storyline for 3? Do choices made in 1&2 affect anything in 3?

I never played 1, but as far as I know, no decisions are carried over.  In 2, there are a few that do, but they're smaller ones.  They mainly affect whether you happen to encounter certain recurring characters, that sort of thing.

Only really seems like Witcher 2 decisions carry over, the engines might just be too far removed between Witcher 1 and 3. Christ, Witcher 1 was outdated when it came out. At any rate, the carryover is mostly flavour/world-state stuff. IE:

Did you kill Letho? If yes, you can do a side quest to help him out, then send him to Kaer Morhen where he'll take part in a big fight. Or if you went with Roche, did you kill Henselt? Did you save Sile at Loc Muinne? Etc etc..

The decisions impact what characters do or do not show up, basically, and probably in some cases their attitudes to Geralt.

How the hell do I patch this game?  I got the free copy through GOG.

NM, I found it on the GOG site.  Why do they make that so difficult.

Has anyone installed the free DLC?

So I figured out that the game keeps defaulting to Borderless Window. Killing my fps...

Fullscreen on Ultra...omg...it's...so..beautiful and runs like a dream.

Mine always defaults to boarderless window upon starting the game. I have to set it to fullscreen every time I launch it. All of my other graphics options stay at my manually chosen settings. 

I bet a lot of folks are running the game in borderless window mode and they don't even realize it. 

Huh, guess I'll check mine.

Yep, guilty as charged. Wonder why the fuck it does that. Maybe that's why alt-tabbing was always so easy.

Huh, guess I'll check mine.

Yep, guilty as charged. Wonder why the fuck it does that. Maybe that's why alt-tabbing was always so easy.

Full screen mode with multiple monitors is one of the configs that causes all the shitty driver crashes on Nvidia. I have this problem. So i run it in a borderless window.

AMD has been surprisingly informative on their site concerning this game. They even said they are working with CDRed with the Crossfire issues and the Fullscreen problem.

Apparently it is something in the driver that reverts the game back to full screen windowed, but they haven't figured it out yet.

So finally finished my first playthrough... not sure how many hours exactly, but I reckon at least 80.

I loved the game. Sure, there are a few things that could be improved, but overall, it is excellent and a great example of how to create an open world RPG but still have strong questing, story and character elements. A quick review:

Pros:

-- Characters: as with the previous two games, the characters are a huge part of what makes this series tick. The protagonist, Geralt, in particular is just brilliant. I love his personality and his snide, dry sense of humour. The supporting cast is not quite as strong this time around, possibly because their interactions are not as critical to the main story, but for the most part characters are well written and engaging. I liked how they portrayed Ciri in the game, and I felt a strong connection between her and Geralt, which helped sell the story.

-- Questing: sets the bar extremely high for quest design and writing as far as I'm concerned. The other most recent RPG I played - Dragon Age: Inquisition - pales in comparison here. Quests are engaging, and while they are a bit formulaic at times (especially the Witcher contracts), you don't feel so bored because you are engaging with well-written characters. You get a sense that the quest has some kind of impact on their lives, and it grounds the quests. Also, some of the quests, with their varying consequences, twists, and outcomes, are just brilliantly written and lots of fun.

-- World Construction: the world itself is glorious and extremely well constructed. I feel there was decent pacing between where content was and open land. The world itself feels organic and logically set out too. Generally beautiful, and one where I actually didn't mind not resorting to using fast travel constantly. I enjoyed just riding along, being in a forest during a storm, watching the sunrise etc.

-- Combat: I really enjoyed it. On the higher difficulties it's tough, punishing but not unnecessarily difficult. Rewards preparation as well as learning enemy attack patterns. At times the controls can be a bit sticky and let you down, but when it all flows, it's beautiful.

-- Gwent: a mini-game, but what a damned mini-game! Excellently constructed and fun to play. First mini-game I've ever liked playing simply for the sake of playing it, as opposed to using it as a means to earn XP or coin. Maybe not that balanced (Northern Realms spy + bond deck is super OP) but that's not really necessary in its current state. Would be interested to see it tweaked and try to go stand-alone.

Cons:

-- World Balance: a usual problem with 'freedom' games, but I felt that there was generally too little high-level content in the game. Once you got to around level 25, the game is basically a walkover and there's nothing really scary out there in the world anymore. There's probably too much mid-level material (in the 12-22 level range). I would like to see this tweaked a bit by introducing more areas with really powerful monsters/humans. Maybe some degree of level scaling might be necessary, to keep enemies always, say, within 6-8 levels of the PC. Not sure exactly, but I did feel that the 'danger' was gone by level 25, which is a shame, as it's very easy to hit this mark by doing some side-quests and the first third of the main quest.

-- Loot: there didn't seem to be good balance between relic swords and relic armour. The Witcher armours are clearly the best, but I favoured relic swords. Problem was, you tend to find a ton of relic swords, and not much by way of relic armour, so it's a bit hard to say. Probably need to balance this out a bit. I'm not convinced that a relic sword for every Witcher contract was necessarily a good idea.

-- Consequences of Previous Choices: unfortunately, the impact of choices in Witcher 2 are a bit lacking in this game, and there's not much in terms of follow-up content. In fact, one entire path from Witcher 2 is essentially ignored. This seems like a bit of a missed chance given how dramatic the choices were in the previous game.

-- Story Pacing: the main story is unfortunately not paced the best. The final third of the game is a tad rushed, with not enough opportunities for a bit of downtime or simple attempts to flesh out what is happening. It's very easy once you're past a certain point to simply blast through to the end. The main part to suffer out of this is the primary antagonists, the Wild Hunt, which are unfortunately under-developed. They have been a major overhanging part of this series, and yet in the end they are not given much attention or screen-time before they are confronted and defeated.

Overall: I've loved this game, absolutely loved it. It's also probably the first RPG I will actually dedicate a second playthrough to (as unfortunately continuing after the main story ends seems a bit weird). Looking forward to the two major expansions coming over the next 12 months as well. One of the best games I've ever played, in any genre.

I'm still not finished with the game but I think two of the biggest annoyances I have so far is quest and loot distribution, along with Geralt's movement. It's like the game really wants you to be level 4 and explore every single area while picking up every single notice board and hidden area before actually doing a single quest. I remember exploring new areas as level 25 and picking up level ~10 quests that I had no possible chance of getting to without YOLO'ing straight through half the map and not doing a single thing. There are also some wacky rewards where doing a quest at a recommended level gives you loot about 4 levels lower and other times you kill a level 17 dude and pick up a level 32 relic dwarven axe.

Geralt himself is kinda clumsy, especially on Keyboard+mouse, and I can't even begin to count the amount of times he has started flailing around while missing a target right in front of him or being unable to pick up loot because his movements are more like "run/sprint" than "walk/run". The game also has weird tendency to unequip my middle mouse item like crossbows and bombs, particularly after loading.

Overall, though, the game is absolutely amazing and so much fun: Open fantasy world done right, it could just use a fair bit of extra polish in some departments and a more well adjusted loot/quest system. I think the quests themselves are stellar because you actually feel the plight of the poor dirt farmer when you have to kill off the local wraith and the locations are so varied within a small area that you barely notice that all you did was circle the village with your witcher senses active. Very good design and I hope other open world game developers are checking up on this.

I loved this game a lot, though a lot of the issues already mentioned (not much level 30+ content, weird movement input clumsiness, unequipping my goddamn bombs) were a little frustrating.  It needs a bit of work, in other words, and I wish I could skip those goddamn story cutscenes every time I loaded a save.

An alchemy-based build that I found on reddit is awesome as fuck though, you can chug potions all day and throw bombs out the ass and things just explode and die and it's great

i never really used any potions past swallow, blizzard and thunderbolt. i think blizzard is by far the best because it gives you jedi levels of dodging ability combine that with the alchemy skill where time slows if your tocixity is past a certain point and its nigh impossible to get hit

I've seen some full-alchemy builds on the official forums, and apparently it can be OP as all heck (unlimited vitality and regeneration basically, a full-tank build apparently).

Personally, I only used Swallow (essentially on anything above normal difficulty), Killer Whale (for diving around the deep), Cat (because for some reason I couldn't figure out how to activate my torch, lol, and I liked the flavour of it), and occasionally Black Blood against vampires and Thunderbolt. The one that instantly restores vitality and the one that increases total vitality can be useful on occasion, but did not use them regularly.

I liked the new potion system, it made it easier to keep potions at the ready and try them out when a situation arose in which they might be useful, whereas in the past games I literally only used Swallow, and cat in complete pitch-black areas (those damned mines in Verghen in Witcher 2 spring to mind).

It needs a bit of work, in other words, and I wish I could skip those goddamn story cutscenes every time I loaded a save.

This annoyed me too at first, until i realized that the time they are up is literally just covering the loading screen. It doesn't wait to start loading until they're over, it just reverts to the already in progress loading screen when the cutscene is over. I suspected this is what it was doing, but only was able to confirm it when it actually cut one of the scenes short because I loaded before it was over. New Intel SSD ftw.

I'm only level 10, but I have about 15 'Special' Swords.

What the heck do I do with all these swords?  They are Relic, Magic and Blue.  I don't want to sell them in case they are used for a future Craft.  But they are clogging up my inventory.

I've never used any of the Master (blue) or Magic (yellow) swords. I just sell those off-hand. You could dismantle them too, but I've a metric fuckton of crafting stuff from other sources and never use them.

I only ever use the Relic swords basically and I just sell the ones that I'm not using.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about it, but if you have a new sword (or piece of armor) but your old one has some epic runestones, just dismantle the item and you get your runestones back.

I'm only level 10, but I have about 15 'Special' Swords.

What the heck do I do with all these swords?  They are Relic, Magic and Blue.  I don't want to sell them in case they are used for a future Craft.  But they are clogging up my inventory.

As Razavn above said, don't bother keeping Blue and Yellow swords, especially if you're level 10. By that stage onwards, the Relic swords are going to be far, far superior due to the extra bonuses that you get on them. The only gear that requires the 'base' item to be upgraded in crafting at the Witcher (green) gear, so you can get rid of them without problem. You can dismantle for mats, but I also found that this is unnecessary.

As another note, don't get too attached to your relic swords. You find so many of them it's not funny (as I noted in my mini-review, one of the loot balance issues, there are too many of them). I ended up picking ones that had the right combination of damage, bonuses, and looking awesome.

Yeah, the Relic swords are amusing.  I've found a few good ones, but right now, they haven't matched up in damage to the Enhanced Feline set I have.  I'll usually be fine with a slight raw damage reduction for stun or bleed chance, but with a 30% reduction, not worth it.

You'll find good ones though.