Canadian_Reaper

This is why I don't get playing "the vision game"

I think I've been doing this wrong, actually just realized this while typing this up but...

My Pershing (400m base view range)

I added optics because conventional wisdom says- hey more vision the better.

With my crew- Optics give me 455M VR. (Crew is not at 100% VR skills yet)

And honeslty, I haven't really noticed myself spotting enemy tanks at any appreciable range, saw a Hellcat tonight- he spotted me first, I didn't spot him for a few seconds until he fired at 216M. But it's turrets's not that big so whatever.

Just had a game on Siegfried line. Myself and a T-34-3 were the last two tanks.  The T-34-3 had under 1K games, and a 200ish Wn8,

Both of us were one shots- he'd sat most of teh game at their cap, they thought he was a bot until he started to move after their last tank was destroyed.

So I figured no problem, not sure what the VR is on a T-34-3, but I must have a better one, and chances are a better crew and gear than someone with less than 1K games and a 200 Wn8.

Guess where the story is going...

We were on the plains, I was inching forward trying to spot him, we spotted each other at the same time. at 300ish meters.

His snap shot hit, mine missed, (but that was a given)

But this is what I mean- the way these spotting checks are done ever X seconds- I don't get the insistence that everyone puts on maxing the VR.

IS the idea to bascailly max your own view range, then camp somewhere?

I had thought I'd max the Pershings VR, then be able to drive around and spot stuff a second or two before they spotted me, but that's definitely not working.

So basically- Have I been a frigging idiot for all this time and I should be camping to get spots with my Pershing?

The situation you describe, coupled with the general shift toward corridor maps, is precisely why I've moved to vents over optics. I'm sure there are people who can truly exploit it, but for me the small global boost from vents gives me a greater benefit in most situations.

If you need the above to play a fucking game, it's not a fucking game. It's math homework.

It becomes intuitive at a certain point... So no.

Honestly, I have no problem with playing vision games, just press R once and slowly creep up on people from a safe, hull down angle.

Mind if we have the replay?

I think I've been doing this wrong, actually just realized this while typing this up but...

My Pershing (400m base view range)

I added optics because conventional wisdom says- hey more vision the better.

With my crew- Optics give me 455M VR. (Crew is not at 100% VR skills yet)

And honeslty, I haven't really noticed myself spotting enemy tanks at any appreciable range, saw a Hellcat tonight- he spotted me first, I didn't spot him for a few seconds until he fired at 216M. But it's turrets's not that big so whatever.

Just had a game on Siegfried line. Myself and a T-34-3 were the last two tanks.  The T-34-3 had under 1K games, and a 200ish Wn8,

Both of us were one shots- he'd sat most of teh game at their cap, they thought he was a bot until he started to move after their last tank was destroyed.

So I figured no problem, not sure what the VR is on a T-34-3, but I must have a better one, and chances are a better crew and gear than someone with less than 1K games and a 200 Wn8.

Guess where the story is going...

We were on the plains, I was inching forward trying to spot him, we spotted each other at the same time. at 300ish meters.

His snap shot hit, mine missed, (but that was a given)

But this is what I mean- the way these spotting checks are done ever X seconds- I don't get the insistence that everyone puts on maxing the VR.

IS the idea to bascailly max your own view range, then camp somewhere?

I had thought I'd max the Pershings VR, then be able to drive around and spot stuff a second or two before they spotted me, but that's definitely not working.

So basically- Have I been a frigging idiot for all this time and I should be camping to get spots with my Pershing?

1. A Hellcat has much better camo than a Pershing and assuming both have optics, will outspot the pershing.

2. A moving pershing only has 17% camouflage, it's not going to outspot many mediums even with optics, if he was stationary and you were moving he'd spot you first at 353 meters and you'd see him at 334.

If you were both moving you'd see him at 361 and he'll see you at 353.

In both cases, the higher camo value of the 34-3 offsets your pershing's vision advantage.

If you need the above to play a fucking game, it's not a fucking game. It's math homework.

And we have invincibility frames in fighting games, ulti frames in DoTA, APM in starcraft, DPM in WoW, and I'm not even going to get into eve online.

You're not going to spot things that are outside of your line of sight. If your viewrange is at 455m and you couldn't spot the T-34-3 until 300m away, it's not your optics' fault, its your fault. That is, unless he has an activated camo net and a full camo crew (which I doubt, considering that this is a 200wn8 tomato).

What I'm detecting is that you're simply not good enough to know how to skirt the enemy's view range while keeping them within yours. This is one of the main advantages of optics.

If you can't utilize that, maybe optics aren't for you.

Were you aware that some people have fun doing that?

Rule of thumb when I'm playing vision game:

Try to have hard cover(reverse slope works too if not better).

* Your pubmates might be too dumb to shoot things, letting your emeny yolo into you.

* You might need to fire and lower your camo.

* The enemy always have the upper hand when they're bushcamping with binocs.

* The enemy could fire blind shots and have lucky hits.

Hard cover == best camo.

Just driving at another tank and hoping to spot him first is only part of the vision game.  Building out your vision means getting vision sniped will be much more rare.  When you max out optics with the Pershing, yeah, you won't necessarily outvision people the way i think you were assuming you would, but it does mean that just about anyone who is not double bushed will be spotted by you when they shoot.  I like to get high vision on heavies/mediums often because sure, especially when moving I am not going to spot many people first, but at least I know if they do pull that trigger I and my team can start dismantling them. 

[...] if he was stationary and you were moving he'd spot you first at 353 meters and you'd see him at 334.

If you were both moving you'd see him at 361 and he'll see you at 353.

In both cases, the higher camo value of the 34-3 offsets your pershing's vision advantage.

This. Vision is only half of the "vision game", you also need camo to consistently outspot people.

Tanks like the Pershing that have meh camo but good VR are still good at spotting, but they won't outspot a lot of stuff (except heavies) because they can be seen fairly easily. With the Persh you can spot relatively safely from hull down spots, just make sure when you're spotted back the only exposed part of your tank is the troll gun mantlet.

The vision game is my entire playstyle, you'd be surprised.

Most of the time it's just a general estimate of how much range I can take (e.g. I know I'm invisible outside 300m) or when I can shoot (e.g. I know I can shoot vs 400m vision at 370m safely).

As far as I can remember, there was precisely ONE time I had to do an exact calculation, and that was in my ELC against a 2-shot GW Panther on windstorm because I was against a cliff edge. I was at 335 meters and calculated that firing would get me lit, so I quickly reestimated that I needed 345 to be safe/

The vision game is my entire playstyle, you'd be surprised.

Most of the time it's just a general estimate of how much range I can take (e.g. I know I'm invisible outside 300m) or when I can shoot (e.g. I know I can shoot vs 400m vision at 370m safely).

As far as I can remember, there was precisely ONE time I had to do an exact calculation, and that was in my ELC against a 2-shot GW Panther on windstorm because I was against a cliff edge. I was at 335 meters and calculated that firing would get me lit, so I quickly reestimated that I needed 345 to be safe/

That's pretty impressive to do on the fly. I'm not sure I could ever get my brain to move like that inside of combat.

It's roughly like an idea I developed playing battlefield. Shooting isn't always the best option when it can

have you detected and subsequently killed.

I've been actively been trying to apply it to my light tanking. Next step is to figure out where else it can apply.