Sign in to follow this  
EldritchDwarf

Haven't made a build in a while. Need help.

Currently I'm running off of my laptop and playing games on low to minimum settings isn't really cutting it for me anymore. I want to run games on max settings quickly and quietly. Currently most of my gaming is WoT, but I am interested in current and upcoming games like Alien Isolation (already bought, but haven't installed), The Witcher 3, and The Division. I want this build to last for a while, so that I can gradually upgrade it.

Some stuff to take into consideration:

• I have no experience OCing, but I am interested in it and want to try it after learning how to do it properly and after I've used the computer for a couple months.
  • I have no experience with water cooling.
  • I'm thinking about maybe trying streaming, but I'm not sure whether I'd do it at this point.

My price range is around $2,000, but I may be willing to go higher if there are parts you think would give me better performance. (I'm just in the planning stages and can wait longer if need be)

The build.

Some questions I have:

• Is it worth it for me to spring for the GTX 980 or should I stick with the GTX 970?
  • Also same question, but i7-4790K or i5-4690K?
  • I also recently realized the HDD that I put on pcpartpicker had lots of people complaining about it failing, so I was wondering do you guys have any suggestions on what to replace it with? I originally picked it because I thought "this doesn't seem too much compared to the 1GB and 2GB of the same brand", so I probably should have looked a bit more closely at reviews on newegg instead of just basing it completely off of pcpartpicker ratings like an idiot.
  • Also is the G930 a good wireless headset? I tend to stretch the wires on my wired headsets, so if I have a wireless one I figure it'd last much longer. Plus it is on sale on Amazon for $89.99 and I have $70 in my Amazon balance.

Feel free to call me an idiot if I made a poor decision, as you can see I call my self that already. :verysmug:

$2000 is a lot of gaming PC, you should be fine if that's the budget. Only thing I can say is not sure why you need that sound card, most on board sound is pretty good these days, also if you go with a different board MSI or Gigabyte they both have good audio I think the MSI even has an amp on board (great for headphones).

970 is best value for money, but 980 is the best perf, so if you have the budget go for the 980.

Also the monitor never used Asus monitors not sure who makes the panel, so maybe they are decent, but I have sworn by Dell Ultrasharps, And are you not interested in higher res gaming than 1080p? The 980 will support 4K gaming decently, so you might as well get a higher res monitor, 144hz gaming monitors are not too expensive $3-400 I believe.

other than that CPU is fine for gaming. Heard good things about the cooler too, its the one I plan to get, same CPU too.

Other stuff is well pretty much same between decent manufacturers, bluray drive etc.

Just my 2c sure the more knowledgeable folk will be by to provide their input too. The last PC I built is now 5-6 years old, so I have only recently started researching hardware again for an upgrade :)

Here is a build I put together:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/F0lterknecht/saved/#view=r8LH99

a little faster, a little cheaper, better components and much better TFT (144 HZ + GSync). Motherboard and GPU have extended warrenty after registration.

If a good IPS with 1920x1200 but only 60Hz and without TFT is enough for you, even a GTX980 would fit in your budget.

Your build attempt screamed "much money, not enough knowledge" imo.

For further explanations why I choose which parts ... tomorrow, I ll go to bed now.

As for the headset I love my G930, it's great.

At that price in the US, buy AKG 240s and a clip on microphone. Much better quality, issue with these headphones is they leak sound. Alternatives would be:

If anyone has something to say about these headphones please do, I am going on everything but the AKG 240s via fairly large consumer consensus. 

I have the Logitech G930s. They are fucking atrocious pieces of garbage that sound like shit was jammed in between the transducers and the shitty plastic earcups and they spew shit all over your ears. Then again every gaming headset I've ever heard sounded like crap. When you own a Porsche 911 that happens to be bulletproof, a Chevy Cobalt at half the price is not a good looking deal.

Sorry. Just my elitism showing through.

They sound about as good as a $15 set of Koss earclip headphones.

Ok  - here the same list but with a GTX980 and a good 16:10 IPS display 1920x1200

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/F0lterknecht/saved/rvHscf

Questions:

1) What do you need 32 GB of RAM for? Are you doing heavy vidio/photo work? 16GB is usually more than enough for most cases ... . Thats why I changed it to 16 GB.

2) What is this PCIe wireless Network card good for? If you can always connect via cable to your router/modem.

I have the Logitech G930s. They are fucking atrocious pieces of garbage that sound like shit was jammed in between the transducers and the shitty plastic earcups and they spew shit all over your ears. Then again every gaming headset I've ever heard sounded like crap. When you own a Porsche 911 that happens to be bulletproof, a Chevy Cobalt at half the price is not a good looking deal.

Sorry. Just my elitism showing through.

They sound about as good as a $15 set of Koss earclip headphones.

Necroing to remind OP not to buy gaming headphones and also so that he can look at the builds. 

Sorry for not responding that quickly, I didn't get around to checking this thread until now.

-snip-

-snip-

Yeah the more money not enough knowledge is my problem, because I picked things out based off of pcpartpicker ratings figuring it would be good. I also haven't really messed around with builds and computer parts since 2008, so I've been a bit out of the loop. Both of these reasons are why I called myself an idiot in the OP.

Originally I had the 32GB of ram because I figured that if I maxed the ram out on the motherboard I'd know if the motherboard was going bad. Now that I think about it 32 GB is overkill, and 16GB is perfectly fine.

As far as the wireless network card goes, my room doesn't have an ethernet jack and the router is in a separate room.

Would you mind explaining the choices behind both the builds you were suggesting? I'll being looking around Microcenter some time tomorrow to see what parts I can pick up there.

At that price in the US, buy AKG 240s and a clip on microphone. Much better quality, issue with these headphones is they leak sound. Alternatives would be:

If anyone has something to say about these headphones please do, I am going on everything but the AKG 240s via fairly large consumer consensus. 

I'll take a look into these tomorrow morning and figure out which one I want to get.

Would you mind explaining the choices behind both the builds you were suggesting? I'll being looking around Microcenter some time tomorrow to see what parts I can pick up there.

I'll take a look into these tomorrow morning and figure out which one I want to get.

- I went with the GPU and motherboard from EVGA/ASUS because the two modells offer 5 years warrenty after registration and are solid components. Usually you only get 2-3 years warrenty for motherboard and GPUs.

- that CPU cooler is a very good performer (temps and noise) for its price point.

- I dont trust preapplied thermal paste on CPU coolers and in case you notice a mounting error, its good to have a little bit of paste at hand

- RAM doesnt matter that much as long if it is from a reputable brand like G.Skill. At a certain capacity and price point just go for the fastest you can get. Though the real word performance difference isnt that great usually (1-4%). But on the other hand if 1333, 1600, 1866 and 2133 MHz RAM can be had for the same price more or less, go for the faster.

- Storage is a little bit more tricky especially SSDs. Please dont change anything there without to proper research first. The Crucial MX and BX offer great price/performance and have a good reputation, no problems known with them. ~250GB SSDs are currently the sweet spot when it comes to price/performance and capacity.

The HDD Ultrastar series also have a good reputation.

- The Cases from Fractal Design are really great when it comes to funtionality, build quality and accustic perfomance - ok at thermal performance.

The design (subjectiv of course) doesnt scream 13 year old kiddie and is usually office and wife compatible. Clean lines without bling bling will never be totally out of fashion imo. Those Raven case(s) you picked out first ... lets just say they where hip in 2009, but never really improved from there (imo).

- The PSU is the most important component in your build. You dont spend 2K $ and put an elcheapo china cracker in there. Seasonic isnt a brand but a manufacturer and produces (over all PSU classes - on avg so to say) the best ones - simple as that. That particular modell is able to power every Single GPU, non storage farm build you can throw together. In your case it still has plenty of headroom (~150W), offers a long warrenty, very good voltage stability and ripple values in combination with a good efficiency.

- If you need an Optical Drive do it right and buy one that can also read BluRays beside burning CD/DVD.