canadiantrex

The Ask Ectar Some Questions Thread

I was under the impression you had left the forums. I never can tell Xen. Which account are you using this time round?

I kinda did leave, just helping the tinfoil hat retards shit up the forums a bit more. No seriously, I post very rarely now and don't ever bother with any random threads or in fact reading any non-clan sections anymore. I only read and post in threads that are given to me on Skype, Steam or Teamspeak.

By the way, my links to Warpack from 2 months ago are still in the huge thread with 128 posrep. Do you remember how you, Ectar, said you were going to make sure that EU and NA would get the same list of banned mods as RU? Do you remember how a few days later one of you WGEU retards posted a wall of text explaining that there are no banned mods? Why did NA get a proper list? Are you incapable of simply copying and pasting the NA thread and posting it on the EU forums? Is that really too fucking difficult?

Why is it so difficult to act like a civilized human being? Being a douchecanoe is not cool - Solono

I'm not familiar with these articles.  My preference for Community guides or even WG Guides would be map tactics broken down by vehicle class. Helping lights know where to go on certain maps, or where heavies need to go etc etc.  There was an amazing T95 guide that had maps broken down into time zones (It will take you X minutes to get here etc). That's one that always sticks in my mind.

Most of what in in wotlabs.net/articles was either produced or edited by me from community contributions.  My site reached 100K visits/month and ~300K pageviews/month and was focused around improving the player and not going for "flavor of the month hate".

If you're interested in ongoing content production for the mother-site(s), feel free to PM me.  The benefit to you for this content is to arm your playerbase against ignorance and blind hatred.  As you suggested, it's much more beneficial if the players create their own community of self-regulation.  The problem right now is that people can't point to a solution to the problem, so the problem becomes insurmountable in their minds.  The content gives them the solution.  I'm purple in tanks, planes, generals, and... not quite ships yet. =P  My latest work will be the T-54 proto article, going up "soon" I assume on the mothersite, aimed at entertainment a bit more than strategy which I'll send your way.

How does the moderation team works in EU? Do they have a clear command structure and procedure when it comes to enforcing the rules and all? Does moderation teams have a SoP which they refer to and applied to all server (NA/EU/RU/ASIA)?

How would you rate the consistency of the mods in your own opinion?

I kinda did leave, just helping the tinfoil hat retards shit up the forums a bit more. No seriously, I post very rarely now and don't ever bother with any random threads or in fact reading any non-clan sections anymore. I only read and post in threads that are given to me on Skype, Steam or Teamspeak.

By the way, my links to Warpack from 2 months ago are still in the huge thread with 128 posrep. Do you remember how you, Ectar, said you were going to make sure that EU and NA would get the same list of banned mods as RU? Do you remember how a few days later one of you WGEU retards posted a wall of text explaining that there are no banned mods? Why did NA get a proper list? Are you incapable of simply copying and pasting the NA thread and posting it on the EU forums? Is that really too fucking difficult?

Yes I'm incapable.  My hands are tied with certain aspects of my job and regarding certain things I can and can't do.  I'd prefer to see a banned list of functionalities that's a global list. That's not my call to make however.

How does the moderation team works in EU? Do they have a clear command structure and procedure when it comes to enforcing the rules and all? Does moderation teams have a SoP which they refer to and applied to all server (NA/EU/RU/ASIA)?

How would you rate the consistency of the mods in your own opinion?

Moderation is not unified across all servers.  Regarding consistency of the mods, it's not something I can comment on, much like I couldn't comment on the answers you may have got in a support ticket.

Is Richard "The_Challenger" Cutland currently employed by either Wargaming.net or one of its subsidiaries?

I have no idea any of my fellow colleagues's contract details. Frankly it's none of my business and I'd never dream of bringing up the subject with anyone.  If what you're asking is "Is Richard still working with us?"  Yes, very much so.  As I said earlier I wish people would stop believe unverified anonymous sources, it's a perfect way for people to make up lies and then pass it off as "Wrong info from the source".  Especially when the middleman is someone with an agenda.

I just stated all the facts in one simple yes/no question to be perfectly clear. What's the problem? Is it better without the two lines below the actual question? Like that?

So,  what you are saying is that there is someone in the WGEU office that insists on having a useless wall of text explaining that all modifications to the game are allowed and explicitly forbids copying the list posted by WGNA employees despite WGRU being very displeased with the way WGEU handles this problem?

I just stated all the facts in one simple yes/no question to be perfectly clear. What's the problem?

Because it's not easy, or clear to even explain any situation going on in that office or with Minsk. You loaded the question with only one applicable result and made it effectively unanswerable and pointlessly belligerent. It wasn't a question, it was a landmine.

So, you are trying to tell me that there is someone in the WGEU office that insists on having a useless wall of text explaining that all modifications to the game are allowed and explicitly forbids copying the list posted by WGNA employees despite WGRU being very displeased with the way WGEU handles this problem?

Well you re long enough around to know that Paris office seems to attract the most interesting people.

Because it's not easy, or clear to even explain any situation going on in that office or with Minsk. You loaded the question with only one applicable result and made it effectively unanswerable and pointlessly belligerent. It wasn't a question, it was a landmine.

There must be an answer to the question. If there is somebody above him in the food chain that is just plain stupid then there is obviously not much he can do, although it makes you wonder why such a person is employed by such a successful company in the first place. If the list is not strictly forbidden to be posted as an official announcement on EU then I would like to know his reasons for not posting it. And if someone at WG or ectar himself simply fucked up, wouldn't the adult thing to do be admitting the mistake and explaining why it came to that? It is blatantly obvious that somebody fucked up, there is absolutely no denying that. Why can I not ask for an explanation?

If Ectar is not here to answer critical questions, the ones that actually matter, what is the point of this thread?

All I'm going to say is that if you're not happy with how WGEU runs its community business, you're yelling at the wrong person and the people you want to yell at aren't available to yell at. Questioning policy and protocol with someone who is there  to enforce it and is contractually obligated not to explain it is only an exercise in frustration and futility. 

All I'm going to say is that if you're not happy with how WGEU runs its community business, you're yelling at the wrong person and the people you want to yell at aren't available to yell at. Questioning policy and protocol with someone who is there  to enforce it and is contractually obligated not to explain it is only an exercise in frustration and futility. 

If not Ectar, the community manager, the only employee who sits in the EU office and reads the forums and gives a fuck about the community, who else is supposed to take the feedback that he receives from the community and forward it to the people who are responsible for whatever concerns the community? It is his job. He is exactly the right person to talk to.

If not Ectar, the community manager, the only employee who sits in the EU office and ever reads the forums and gives a fuck about the community, who else is supposed to take the feedback that he received from the community and forward it to the people who are responsible for whatever concerns the community? It is his job. He is exactly the right person to talk to.

Yes, he is, but when you approach a topic that has been broached a thousand times with the hostility of an angry villager with a pitch fork, you are only creating a wall and climate of hostility. Just don't do that.

Except when it comes to the explicit execution and explanation of the policies and protocols, he cannot do anything, so grilling him about why things are done is pointlessly hostile. He can't tell you, I can't tell you. It is what it is, that doesn't mean don't bitch, but when your line to the people who enact policy is getting flogged and thrown into a hostile environment, you're just shooting yourself in the foot. 

Okay then, let me rephrase the question:

Why exactly does EU not have the same list of banned mods as NA?

Ectar, what is the most hilarious post you've read on the forums? And what's it like to play with WG tags?

Xen, businesses can set their shit up in an infinite amount of ways, which is why your previous hostility was so pointless. I'm interested in an answer as well but it's pretty typical that MMOs vary their rules from region to region and even their update schedules (from "never in Europe" to "everyone at the same time" - in case of WG, NA is often delayed a bit for some reason). The reason can be anything from "because Minsk said so" to "the local boss is too lazy", although I doubt Ectar is suicidal enough to say the last one even if it was true lel.

Ectar, what is the most hilarious post you've read on the forums? And what's it like to play with WG tags?

Xen, businesses can set their shit up in an infinite amount of ways, which is why your previous hostility was so pointless. I'm interested in an answer as well but it's pretty typical that MMOs vary their rules from region to region and even their update schedules (from "never in Europe" to "everyone at the same time" - in case of WG, NA is often delayed a bit for some reason). The reason can be anything from "because Minsk said so" to "the local boss is too lazy", although I doubt Ectar is suicidal enough to say the last one even if it was true lel.

Wouldn't reporting it to WGRU and having them take care of the situation be the bets thing to do in case of the latter?

Ectar, is your avatar supposed to be a seal version of tommy lee jones doing an implied facepalm?

Well spotted

We already ran off the NA people posting here no need to run Ectar out too, you can say the same a bit less harshly.

That is quite enough Xen, either phrase your questions in a way that isn't more loaded than a Wisconsin baked potato or don't ask. 

It's ok, Xen and I have butted heads a few times in the past  I don't mind his attitude to be honest, as I've said earlier I appreciate honesty. I can handle people being angry the company etc. If people want to have a dig at me all that will happen is I'll ignore them.

There must be an answer to the question. If there is somebody above him in the food chain that is just plain stupid then there is obviously not much he can do, although it makes you wonder why such a person is employed by such a successful company in the first place. If the list is not strictly forbidden to be posted as an official announcement on EU then I would like to know his reasons for not posting it. And if someone at WG or ectar himself simply fucked up, wouldn't the adult thing to do be admitting the mistake and explaining why it came to that? It is blatantly obvious that somebody fucked up, there is absolutely no denying that. Why can I not ask for an explanation?

If Ectar is not here to answer critical questions, the ones that actually matter, what is the point of this thread?

There is some critical questions that people just straight up won't answer in any role. I know that sucks but sadly that's the way things are. Not everyone is answerable to the players and some things people will always be prevented from talking about (usually because it will open up a can of worms and will result in even more questions that can't be answered).

You learn however in any job there is certain ways to go about things and when dealing with different cultures and attitudes, shouting loudly and confrontationally isn't always the best. Just because another region does something, doesn't mean it's the right answer.  I'd much rather have a list of banned functionalities instead of listing every single mod, but then the call isn't up to me alone.

The biggest challenge I always have is getting everyone to look at the global picture, not just the regional picture and especially not just the single language/country picture.   Just because I don't give you the answer you want, doesn't mean behind the scenes I'm constantly trying to push things through.

When we added the new physics, someone created a thread on the bug report section saying their vehicle was stuck on the tank traps in Seigfried Line.  That one I'll remember till I died.

with WG tags, it's hell sometimes.  I stopped playing Tanks for quite a while now as people would regularly go for me. It's doubled with being one of the most well known staff members also.

In Warships it isn't so bad and it can be used to bait people.  I tend to get a lot of people in Warships just saying hello now.

When I played with Anfield and Garbad or Anfield and Sela on the NA servers it was fun to see who players noticed first.

Thanks for your response.

I'd much rather have a list of banned functionalities instead of listing every single mod, but then the call isn't up to me alone.

Isn't that pretty much one of the dumb arguments some other WG employee (iScending?) used to defend the decision against the list of banned mods? "If we make a list of banned mods people will simply rename the mods to bypass this list". That was one of the most stupid things I had ever read on the WoT EU forums. If the list says "Agent Orange" is banned and they rename it to "Agent Tomato" it doesn't make it legal again, because "Agent Orange" is just the term used to refer to the functionality of the mod, in that case removal of foliage.

It's like responding to "Driving with more than 0.5‰ is illegal" by saying "But officer, I'm over 0.05% not 0.5‰! It's okay!" - "Oh you are right! Apologies for the inconvenience!"

Or "You must not have sex with anyone younger than 14 years!" (well, it's 14 in Germany) - "But she wasn't 13 years old, she was 156 months old!" - "Oh, then it's okay!"

"Drawing swastikas is against the law" - "It's not a swastika, it's my windmill of friendship!"

It's common sense that whatever you call the banned modification is supposed to refer to it's functionality and not the name of it...

"Drawing swastikas is against the law" - "It's not a swastika, it's my windmill of friendship!"

Probably the funniest thing I've read today.

Ectar, what kind of bribing would it take to get you to jump ship and join the colonials so we would have a thick-skinned and truly honest community rep?

Seriously, someone needs to call WGNA and tell them to put their man pants on so they can stop being special snowflakes.

Wouldn't reporting it to WGRU and having them take care of the situation be the bets thing to do in case of the latter?

The point was really that depending on how WG operates internally, they might not give a shit at all. Instead of asking from a player PoV, ask from a dev PoV on a secondary market they don't deem too important: Why does it matter to us in Minsk that someone on the EU forum is mad that there isn't a banned mods list? And why do we even care if such a list matches something on an even lesser market at NA? Again, I'd personally like such lists for the sake of transparency but you have to think a bit bigger about why someone high up at WG in Minsk should give a shit about your complaint.

Shade, I will fight you if you steal Ectar from us. He is the one good thing on EU, plus he has a great accent.