Flametz

WoWS General Patch Discussion (currently 0.6.0)

And yet, before the Conqueror appeared, the Montana had taken the spot of "best BB", and is absolutely the number one choice in clan wars even with the Conq.

So, what I'm saying is: it's you, not the ship.

12 hours ago, Crossfader said:

Yamato and Grosser just walk all over the Montana, it isnt even close.

Not every ship is for everyone but this is simply not true.

The Montana will usually lose a 1vs1 bow on slugfest with any of the other tier X BBs, thats true and if that is your main criteria for what makes a BB great then you are right, Montana is shit.

But if you want a well rounded, fastish BB that can be used close range or long range against pretty much anyting the Montana is your best bet.

12 hours ago, Crossfader said:

handling is is worse then Yamato ...  All that for 33% more guns

Stop the hyperbole.

say wut?  I love the monty.  Last I checked my damage in it and the Grosser were within like 500/game.  The monty is more comfortable per salvo.  Doing 30k without citadels is something that almost never happens with the Grosser.

15 hours ago, Jaegaer said:

But if you want a well rounded, fastish BB that can be used close range or long range against pretty much anyting the Montana is your best bet.

thats why its the worse on every server, "well rounded" aka being shit at everything

oh and the maneuverability is fucking godawful for what its bring to the battle 

Well I decided to start another account to test out what its like to be a new player. Their is a HUGE change when you get out of the kiddie pool. I got out near the end of the T4 grind, and I only did 1 line, most new players I would would grind 2 or 3 lines at once which means they would be out of the protective match making by T3 I would bet. The point I'm making is I was still seeing players sailing broadside and firing off torps with their allies in the way.

Oh and good god the MM needs to change, I was done the Wyoming and got a stock NY and my first T5 match was a heavy T7 game, with a stock NY with a 5 point captain. No wonder most players quit/complain because I can only imagine what its like for a new player coming into that. If I was new and I ran into that I would probably quit too and I'm the guy that used to say "get gud" but not anymore

On 11/20/2017 at 9:17 PM, Crossfader said:

thats why its the worse on every server, "well rounded" aka being shit at everything

oh and the maneuverability is fucking godawful for what its bring to the battle 

So, if it's shit at everything, why is the Montana so popular in top clans?

4 hours ago, SoliDeoGloria said:

So, if it's shit at everything, why is the Montana so popular in top clans?

clanwars is vastly different then randoms, i have have 0 idea what the meta is for clans wars, dont play them myself, so i cant really comment on that

3 hours ago, Crossfader said:

clanwars is vastly different then randoms, i have have 0 idea what the meta is for clans wars, dont play them myself, so i cant really comment on that

Not just for CW. They love that you get 12 hyper accurate shells, good concealment, great AA, and is plenty tanky if you aren't going to sit broadside.

Montana is better at destroying cruisers. She's also better at punishing lazy broadsides. She's also better at taking pot shots at DDs. All these things make her guns, largely, better for the CA heavy CW meta. Though I will say that I've seen a lot of Yamato sneaking into the Meta. I don't completely agree with it, but I understand the logic, I think.

Also, accuracy module Montana is, I think, more accurate than the Yamato. Or somewhere on par.

can we all agree that the Prinz Eugen is fucking terrible... tried playing it twice tonight, fucking stupid idea, i dont know why that ship + Hipper are still in the game as is, god awful

I got citadel'd by a Pensacola, and i was so angel'd that only my front guns could fire... like why even bother, NO armor, NO DPM, terrible turret layout and bad concealment.

Edit: watched replay, got screenshots... amazing bullshit, even the Pensacola player could not believe it and he had an Alpha flag, so its not some potato steam player

QV4tU62.jpg

y1x3v9C.jpg

G6nG6G4.jpg

All of the standard tier VIII Cruisers are pretty bad nowadays.

The reason for this is imho that they scale badly (jump from tier VIII to tier IX is fairly large - just like in WoT - to make you want the grind that starts at tier VIII in earnest) and the current MM will put you into games with 2-5 tier IX and Xs pretty much all the time.

And while all other prem Cruisers have a gmmick going for them in order to make them attractive in the long run and not only an obstacle in the grind, the Eugen has not.

That said the EUgen/Hipper is pretty nice when top tier. Somewhat tanky with good range and flight times, HE is lacking a bit but AP rewards good positioning. So you may actually enjoy 1 out of 3 or 4 games.

Would not be enough for me though (I even hate the Atago).

The only non premium T8 CA's that are fun for me were the Chappy and the new french T8. Chappy standard ussr 152 rail guns, high fire chance, good range and accuracy. The T8 French has ROF of 8.8 seconds on 203s, high velocity, good fire chance and good ap. It is fast and reasonably agile. It is kind of soft, but what T8 CA isn't.

8 minutes ago, Jarkorsis said:

The only non premium T8 CA's that are fun for me were the Chappy and the new french T8. Chappy standard ussr 152 rail guns, high fire chance, good range and accuracy. The T8 French has ROF of 8.8 seconds on 203s, high velocity, good fire chance and good ap. It is fast and reasonably agile. It is kind of soft, but what T8 CA isn't.

Hipper and Eugen.

The only tier 8 cruiser I had consistent success with was the Mogami and most of those battles were fought when stealth firing still existed. I don't currently own it so I'm not sure how it would perform for me now. I know it received some buffs to turret rotation which I'm sure is a nice quality of life improvement. Just not sure how well that helps it facing tier 10s.

As an side I've done reasonably well with the Edinburgh, but only 28 games in I can't say with total confidence it's skill vs luck of the MM draw yet. the one thing they have in common though is shooting while hiding. Maybe that's my bag baby? ;)

14 hours ago, Crossfader said:

can we all agree that the Prinz Eugen is fucking terrible... tried playing it twice tonight, fucking stupid idea, i dont know why that ship + Hipper are still in the game as is, god awful

I got citadel'd by a Pensacola, and i was so angel'd that only my front guns could fire... like why even bother, NO armor, NO DPM, terrible turret layout and bad concealment.

Edit: watched replay, got screenshots... amazing bullshit, even the Pensacola player could not believe it and he had an Alpha flag, so its not some potato steam player

At range the Pensacola has enough of a drop angle to likely penetrate your upper belt and then the Citadel deck - its 203mm AP has impressively high pen despite the high arc and low velocity. Against AP your best bet is a ricochet, and you were not angled heavily enough for those shots to exceed the critical angle with American AP - it can bite at a little steeper of an angle than most. 

I can't think of a Tier 8 Cruiser which has enough armor to stop that 203mm AP without reaching autobounce angle.

It is also possible that the Pensacola got an underwater citadel pen, if your ship has thin armor under the main belt it can penetrate below the waterline. 

Basically, your best bet is pure bow tanking if you can't joke volleys - angle more than ~20-25 degrees (you seemed to be giving him a little more than 30 considering your hull shape and the impact location) and you will take AP penetrations. 

I did fairly well in NO, 62.3% winrate and 45k average damage, 13.5% over server average, and my average damage was higher than server average by about 14.5k. I can't say she was my favourite though. I enjoyed stock Baltimore much more. Despite being essentially the same ship, the heal made all the difference.

only good thing is I didnt buy the Prinz potato, i got 3, yes 3 from the Xmas loot boxes (one Pinz + 22k gold)

I also dont rate any silver tier 8 CL to be very good (have yet to play Charles, at Algerie right now), and only the Kutuzov to be good regardless of MM... kinda sad to see really, even the Atago doesn't see much play these days

The Chapy is quite good in a division, trading long range radar for the smoke on Kutuzov.  That being said, from facing enemy Cruisers, the Charles Martel seems to have the best guns, hitting harder than the typical 155's of the Mogami.

I rarely see C.Martels in divisions, perhaps they are like their tier 9 and 10 brothers, best used as lone wolves?

The Martel is the most enjoyable T8 CA I have played. I can move around and chew up almost everything. Lots of fires, good ap pen on flat sides, fast reload to punish DD's. It has defensive fire or Hydro. It really fits by play style. Even the 9 km torps have very useful firing arcs. Overdrive gives 4 minutes of 38 knots I think. Fun boat.

15 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

The Chapy is quite good in a division, trading long range radar for the smoke on Kutuzov.  That being said, from facing enemy Cruisers, the Charles Martel seems to have the best guns, hitting harder than the typical 155's of the Mogami.

I rarely see C.Martels in divisions, perhaps they are like their tier 9 and 10 brothers, best used as lone wolves?

They hit harder because 203s are inherently better at packing explosives than 155s. And not everyone will run IFHE on Mogami, because it simply doesn't fit literally the rest of the line.