Flametz

WoWS General Patch Discussion (currently 0.6.0)

So i went and compared the Torpedo bomber dmg from pre-patch and post-patch. Didn't pay attention to DBs, but it seems like WG just took the Hiryuu's 4600 dmg DBs and applied it to every IJN CV from T5 and up.

Hosho now gets 8567 dmg torps, and every IJN CV up to T8 keeps this dmg. A slight dmg buff for T5-8, a massive boost for Hosho @ T4.

Previously Hosho had ~4-5k torp dmg and T5-7 had ~8.1k dmg torps

At tier 8 Shoukaku gets buffed torpedo dmg @ 10700 (from ~8500), so there's that.

However... those turn radius nerfs = RiP

fGK4DiJ.png

TL;DR

Fighter meta now dead for IJN CVs, it's all about being the first to reach the other side with your swarm of 12+ torpedoes and 12+ DBs and being the first to kill the enemy CV.

On the other hand, Warspite returns as king of the agile BBs.

The USN BBs are still pretty nimble for the most part. 640m is good enough to dodge most torpedoes fired at you.

That Hosho buff might actually get me to play that pile of cack.

Pulled from the WoWs forums...

"Info from the RU CBT limited access forum section from the Vladimir "Vlegris" Grisyuk, lead content game designer, 20.05.2015:"

"I want to make some clarifications about aircraft carriers:
We aren't trying to kill the whole class. Moreover, our goal is totally different. ;)
The plan for step-by-step carriers adjustments/changes was made for the whole version 031. Introduction of national [carrier] differences could've not been done in one step, changes were too big/deep: introduction of USN battleships with great AA, IJN carriers introduction, USN CV changes. It was impossible to make all of these changes at once - we would be unable to check the result changes of gameplay. Therefore the introduction of the new carriers was plannes in the next steps:

0.3.1.0 - new carriers introduction, planes surviveability and players behavion in the changed environment tests;
0.3.1.* - changes to the IJN torpedo bombers attack formation  <included in 0.3.1.2 patchnotes>
0.3.1.* - changes to the USN fighters <included in 0.3.1.2 patchnotes>
0.3.1.* - weapon changes for IJN planes to the Japanese ordnance(right now they all use USN torpedoes and bombes - we have to see the efficiency difference for different squadrons formations and squadron numbers; and it would not be obvious what happened to the efficiency if we gave them the planned ordnance; as a result, we will know in advance what damage exactly should be done by IJN planes after the rebalancing)
0.3.1.* - ships AA normalization(to change to the calculation and to decrease the AA power differences).

It's unknown if these steps will be made in this order. It's unknown if ALL of planned changes will be required. But this is our [initial] plan. New formations are under inner tests right now."

Okay that actually makes a surprising amount of sense. They probably should say that before the patch though. Dev communication isn't WG's strong suit though...

The HE changes were very minor. Both my  cruisers still got mega fire damage. Mogami firing HE only with 15x6 inch guns 142 hits, 71k damage HE 37K from fires and 7 fires started. Seems like normal battle. I have the fire starter skill. So next to nothing changed. I had 3 kills 1 DD (Mahan) and a Colorado  and New Mexico. Mogami is still nuts. I had similar results with the N.O. 3 kills, 4 fires. I think a lot of balancing needs to be done for AP, HE and Fire damage.

How did you get your training rooms working?

Yesterday's patch completely broke all of my mods, and I have no idea how to fix it (tried renaming it, tried reinstalling the mods, etc.).

I want to give my Shoukaku a test drive before delving into actual gameplay (yay for no commanders available x.x)

How did you get your training rooms working?

I only downloaded Aslain's installer about 3h ago.

On the subject of Carriers, I was lucky enough to get into a match against someone testing the IJN Tier X Hakuryu in my fighter-build Lexington.

Soon as he got his planes up he ran 'em straight across. Had my fighters up and gave chase, but those TBs were just as fast and my planes couldn't catch up.

His doom-cluster spotted me fleeing and I got torped to death in the first 2 minutes of the game. He then managed the same feat against 2 BBs, including a chasing Montana whom he outran.

I only downloaded Aslain's installer about 3h ago.

rip nvm, switched res and resmods/0.3.1 on the xml file and it worked again

no clue on how that got broken ._.

anyhow

Just took the Shoukaku for a spin (literally) on a training room. Holy hell does she bleed speed fast. Making a hard turn to either port or starboard results in your speed going from ~34 knots to <19 knots, and it's just cringe-worthy watching it slow down that much.

At least the turning radius doesn't seem bad, then again...

The HE nerf may have been... ineffective... but on the other hand, I've been getting better mileage out of AP. Less of the instances where you hit with five 16" shells and do 2k damage. 

Don't know why I thought the Japanese cruisers were so bad.  Guess it was just a terrible experience I had with the Kuma and my constant ability to citadel them like crazy with American cruisers.  Bought the Aoba a few weeks ago, finished it yesterday, and I enjoyed it for the most part.  Doesn't have the raw firepower of the Cleveland but it was a pleasant surprise compared to what I thought it would be.  That and I actually understand how to angle my ship now helps to not get annihilated via citadel hits.

Don't know why I thought the Japanese cruisers were so bad.  Guess it was just a terrible experience I had with the Kuma and my constant ability to citadel them like crazy with American cruisers.  Bought the Aoba a few weeks ago, finished it yesterday, and I enjoyed it for the most part.  Doesn't have the raw firepower of the Cleveland but it was a pleasant surprise compared to what I thought it would be.  That and I actually understand how to angle my ship now helps to not get annihilated via citadel hits.

Comparing the Kuma to the rest of the IJN cruisers is like comparing the DW2 to the rest of the German MT line...

It's a real turd in a middle of a pretty decent line of ships.

Anyhow, the Myoko a tier higher is going o play like a better pepsicola with torpedoes as extra, so enjoy that.

This jumper should come free with the patch.

original.jpg

I don't see a jumper, I see a sweater.

Seems like the perk "Air Supremacy" and its ability to add an extra TB was taken away.

Ran a training room session, now it's 5 fighters, 5 DBs, and 4 TBs per squadron on an IJN CV.

rip

705pYfo.jpg

In other news, I brought a Murmansk(?)

It's actually quite a neat little ship. While the combo of dual + single turrets threw me off a bit, the thing can definitely put out the hurt on enemy ships. The extra AA over the Omaha is also a nice bonus, especially for SD purposes (holy shit the amount of tracers that come off of this is insane)

Finally, dem torps. 8km torp range is a definite upgrade over the 5.5km range on the Omaha (despite being in the same ship class, probably Russian torp idk) and allows for use other than as a last-ditch anti-BB weapon for when those get too close.

Speaking of changes, notes for 3.1.4 and dev explanation.

Some bits..

• Acceleration to full speed is now slower overall.
  • IJN CV's Shokaku, Taihō and Hakuryu had their top torpedoes' alpha nerfed
  • USN CV's 5-8 had all torpedo and bomb alpha buffed
  • Decreased percentage of ricochets of large-caliber (battleship main battery) projectiles

"Top Japanese aircraft carriers... can currently deliver shattering torpedo blows, and

are able to kill almost any ship in the game in one attack, even if the ship is led by a

more experienced player.

This doesn’t seem very fair to us and gets a lot of negative comments too.

Therefore, aircraft carriers Shokaku, Taihō and Hakuryu had their top

torpedoes changed, which means they now do less damage."

Hakuryu also had its 0-5-3 strike setup changed to 0-4-4

*sigh* when will WG give up on "full strike setup" loadouts and give all CVs balanced + fighter-heavy choices (but still with 1 or 2 TB/DB).

It's depressing seeing how few fighters there are in the air, and those that do have fighters are the ones in USN carriers chasing a single, spent DB squad with 12 fighters...

In the name of balance, they're willing to throw an entire class into shit. The torp nerfs on Shoukaku were very noticeable, as I've been hitting for ~4k-5k per torp hit (3k on some USN BBs RIP). I'm actually doing more dmg from fires coming out of staggered DBs than actual TB dmg, which is sad.

Just. So. Bad.

Oh shit.

UNLIMITED BOMBER WORKS HERE WE GO. (RiP Essex players)

leave it to WGEU to royally screw up patch notes.

"hey, lets just copypaste two sets of ST notes that contradict each other in parts and call it a day"

update:  leave it to a WG website to push WIP patch notes, and then republish it after they are taken down.