Rexxie

Dwarf Fortress

That's called a Roguelike.

Well, the way it works is akin to something like an RTS. Closest example you guys might have played is probably something like Majesty in how you play, but nothing like Majesty in how the game responds.

You are some kind of omniscient power that guides a band of dwarves, starting with 7 and ending with as many as your computer can hold before crashing. Your job is to keep them alive and prosperous, starting with things like digging out shelter, getting things like water, and ale, and hunting, forging, fishing, farming, and/or trading for food. Eventually you'll get to things like arms and armor production, outfitting a military, creating defenses etc, and finalizing with things like managing the happiness and productivity of your dwarves. All while having a Minecraft-esque feel of "lets build this huge thing because its awesome" - except that unlike in minecraft, "this huge thing" might end up actually being useful to you.

Incredibly nerdy, I know.

The graphics are pretty primitive, so yeah. It can look pretty intimidating with the ascii, but you can set up tile-based graphics like this to make it more digestible:

MqNnfkn.png

It's pretty fun, but really hard to explain. There's a lot of info about it out on the web, a large community, and stuff like wikis and tutorials, but its hard to just say "this is what it is" without spamming paragraphs. I'd be willing to help get anyone interested set up and stuff, but it's probably something most people wont want to just delve into.

You are some kind of omniscient power that guides a band of dwarves, starting with 7 and ending however many are eaten by antelopes or consumed by lava.

:)

Big news.

Besides the update that should be coming soon, there's apparently working (somewhat) isometric overlay (StoneSense) available now for use with DFHack

hJdsMiC.png

Can get it with this pack, haven't had a chance to try it yet http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

Yesterday i lost a fort on the first month, started working on a fairly big dig with 3 miners, one randomly fell off to her death and the other two died in an accidental cave-in. A fourth dwarf then went inside and died of thirst, with the last 3 following it not long after.

Also, i found two flowcharts to help new players.

FlowchartDF.png
glPVP.jpg

Haha, I love those flowcharts!... havent played DF in a year or so... But I got myself into the alpha of RimWorld, which is pretty much DF-lite set in the future.

I'm still learning the game, you really need to read the wiki and forums, it's not a game where you can learn on your without being frustrated.

But the military panel is one of the most convulted UIs i've seen so far, it's up there with Arma's inventory.

So since you guys got me back into this, I tried setting up a fort in an "evil" biome because I've never tried it before.

Holy fucking shit everything fucking reanimates constantly what the hell is all this?

I'm still learning the game, you really need to read the wiki and forums, it's not a game where you can learn on your without being frustrated.

But the military panel is one of the most convulted UIs i've seen so far, it's up there with Arma's inventory.

I kind of gave up on dealing with the military. I can make a squad, put dwarves in the squad, and point the squad at what I want dead, but I lost interest in doing anything more complicated than that because things were getting confusing.

Everything reanimates in evil biomes, don't forget plague clouds and thralls. There is reason why setting up in evil is hard mode. If you want more of a challenge or change, I would suggest doing an arctic biome before evil, arctic, logistically, is a lot like evil minus the most horrible parts and with its own set of challenges.

In my current world, it seems that anywhere i settle is in range of a necromancer tower. My first fort had an undead siege on the third month before i had walls and bridges finished, necromancer was with them and my stocks of bones and mussel shells turned against me.

I kind of gave up on dealing with the military. I can make a squad, put dwarves in the squad, and point the squad at what I want dead, but I lost interest in doing anything more complicated than that because things were getting confusing.

It's not so hard after you get used to the interface, i found a tutorial that gave a proper overview of how it works and it makes more sense now https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66, it's videos 5 and 6.

Try 4 for evil biome fortress. Going well, managing to keep the reanimated stuff under control.

And then the tree hugging terrorists Elves show up and fuck everything up by dying en masse like 5 seconds after getting onto the map. Fortress is still ok ATM but now there's a bunch of shit outside that I really didn't want to have to deal with.

Also I forgot to forbid one of the items that got dropped after the elves died and now one of my dwarfs has necrosis over like half his fucking body.