Rexxie

Dwarf Fortress

RIP my fort, undead sieges are serious business. I did learn a lot on this run tho'.

Do you guys cap the calculation FPS? Mine is at 100 and some things feel too fast, specially combat.

I also cap mine at about 100.

Combat always feels really quick, but Alt = and Alt - controls the FPS in-game, so you can lower/increase it for the situation.

Huh, I did not know this.

RIP my fort, undead sieges are serious business. I did learn a lot on this run tho'.

Do you guys cap the calculation FPS? Mine is at 100 and some things feel too fast, specially combat.

Combat always feels really quick, but Alt = and Alt - controls the FPS in-game, so you can lower/increase it for the situation.

Wait, you can do these things?

I think the FPS cap is in the init file, or something. Let me check.

Edit: Yep, it is.

[FPS_CAP:100]

Mess with that line the change it (0 makes it uncapped).

Oh, that's neat. I'll have to mess around with the files some then. See what else can be changed.

Oh yeah, one extra annoyance i had with with undead sieges, all the countless undead dwarf corpses that attack you need to be buried too after you kill them for good, using up all your coffins and getting on the way of burying your dead.

The undead dwarf corpses don't become ghosts, i had some lying around the map for over a year and no ghosts from them.

Maybe you could forbid or dump them before building the coffins so they don't get buried? Didn't think of trying that.

Good to see they're using ASCII, as God intended. emot-colbert.gif

All kidding aside, it would be rad as hell if there was a way to set it up so that the menus were all on separate monitors like that (also, it would be rad if I had 3 monitors).

Holy fucking shit everything fucking reanimates constantly what the hell is all this?

FUN

=D

Damn it has been a long time since I played. I quit around version 0.31 reading boatmurdered got me into it.

Yesterday i lost a fort on the first month, started working on a fairly big dig with 3 miners, one randomly fell off to her death and the other two died in an accidental cave-in. A fourth dwarf then went inside and died of thirst, with the last 3 following it not long after.

Also, i found two flowcharts to help new players.

FlowchartDF.png

glPVP.jpg

Thanks for confirming that Dwarf Fortress people are fucking insane.

I mean goddamn.

I played some adventure mode today and in the course of killing everyone around the spawn area, i found out that you can disembowel someone and grab their guts, but it wouldn't let me strangle them with it.

Decided to take some screenshots of my current fort, which is my 8th and most successful so far. First time i get to year 3, have 126 dwarfs and just became a barony.

First the surface, made a sloping entrance to put the trade depot underground and surrounded it with stone walls, which have floors above it with fortifications for archers. Raising bridges to block entrance and some cage traps around them.

zAgAE1m.jpg

Entrance goes down 3 levels to the first rock layer where i have the trade depot, stockpiles and workshops set up, as well as barracks and hospital. Have a still and kitchen running full time to brew drinks and make lavish meals. Rows for cage traps for some defense.

xEdcn52.jpg

Go one level back up to the farms in the soil layer, plump helmets, cave wheat and pig tail farms as well as a turkey house.

4gdHr4F.jpg

Go one level down from the stockpiles to get to the metalworks, with stockpiles for fuel, ores, smelted bars and finished weapons and armor stockpile. I have found a fuck ton of tetrahedrite(copper ore) but no cassiterite(tin ore), so i can't make bronze, haven't found any iron ores or coal either.

All the iron and steel i have so far came from buying metal items from caravans and melting them down, then using dwarf !!SCIENCE!! to multiply them. Right now working on making steel weapons and iron armor to outfit some military guys.

B4ZQ7n2.jpg

This is the living quarters and legendary dining/meeting room, most dwarfs have an individual bedroom and all stone smoothed.

1fxdRsd.jpg

And finally the noble quarters, bookkeeper and mayor finished, baron just started.

KxTh7MU.jpg