Rexxie

Dwarf Fortress

So the person i appointed as baroness just up and threw a tantrum not even a season in her position, then became melancholic and i have no idea why. She was very happy overall and the only things missing was the personal dining room (you can use the legendary dining room upstairs you ingrate fuck) and the tomb that i was going to get around to making soon.

Also i figured why a few of my military guys kept dropping their uniform when they went off duty. Turns out mining, woodcutting and hunting jobs have a hard codded uniform which conflicts with the military one, so stupid stuff like your woodcutter/axedwarf drops his axe to get an axe to chop wood happens. But now i have enough dwarfs to make a few full time squads.

//E: Looks like a nice start shackram. Do you follow any layout strategy, or just semi-random placement?

Just winging it, figuring out what works for me. My workshops in particular are a bit of a mess, but they work.

I'm going to at least try generating one world, just for the hell of it.

More from SA;

gFRPJgY.png

Looks accurate.

I'm waiting for some of my favorite tilesets to be updated, although it looks like CLA might win me over being already updated and a nice midway between tilesets and ASCII.

So, I really wanna give this a try... but I'm completely lost.  What's the best way to give it a go?

I found some tutorials to be useful to get started and figure out some things. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHVZtRdtPdo&list=PL06686270DA5FF439

Besides that, make extensive use of their forum and wiki

I found some tutorials to be useful to get started and figure out some things. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHVZtRdtPdo&list=PL06686270DA5FF439

Besides that, make extensive use of their forum and wiki

"Dwarf Fortress for Dummies"

This is right up my alley.  Thanks!

Oh yeah, i wouldn't bother with the new version yet, too buggy still and changes a bunch of stuff.

Look for the 0.34.11 version, i recommend this pack since it comes with a neat gui to tweak some stuff and some extra utilities(Dwarf Therapist is very useful).

Mind you the game doesn't have sounds besides background music unless you're using SoundSense (it's part of that pack).

Beware of aquifers.

On the plus side, I downloaded it a few days ago, before that release, so I should be good.  I'll give that pack a try, too.

And yeah, Aquifers seem horrible.

Was just playing some adventure mode, was doing well until i started walking along a river to find the bridge.

Suddenly i was attacked by an alligator that peeked out of the water and that dragged me into the river, where i got mauled and drowned.

This Games looks interesting, don't know why I didn't recognize it earlier... Will give it a try when I am home tonight. But probably with a UI mod, because I can't stand the original ASCII look, sadly.

Any recommendations for UI mods (Phoebus'?) or any other mods to start with?

Get the pack i posted on the previous page, it's the vanilla game but comes with several tilesets to choose from and a few useful utilities.

If i were to say something is a must have, it's Dwarf Therapist, because it's so useful to manage your workers.

Thanks!

DLing the pack you recommended right now. Will better open up the Wiki on the 2nd screen... Excited! :D

Found a new tutorial/let's play series for DF, very long (21 hours!) but probably the most up to date and comprehensive so far. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?feature=c4-feed-u&list=PLLiFqDG3lSdOyRWlcCLOxGCL4y5nAWNWw

Had my first goblin siege, about 12 axemen. My two Axelords with steel axes and iron armor made short work of them, killed 5 and the rest ran off the map.

I'm still very lost so far and having a hard time to figure out how to assign labors at best and what labors to combine. Just received my first immigrant wave. Doesn't make stuff easier... :smallsmile:

The YT-Tutorial helped me alot so far, though. :thumbup:

I'm still very lost so far and having a hard time to figure out how to assign labors at best and what labors to combine. Just received my first immigrant wave. Doesn't make stuff easier... :smallsmile:

The YT-Tutorial helped me alot so far, though. :thumbup:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Quickstart_guide

Thanks for that. Not that it's linked on previous pages...

It's just the mass of options you have to consider to make your dwarfes happy and not fail too early.

There isn't too much that it takes to get to the point where you dont have to worry about people dying en masse by their own. You need a farm set to make plump helmets 24/7, a dining room, bedrooms (one big room with a bunch of beds works well enough too), and a still to make drinks. Just put it all underground and you'll be fine. Hell, you can even close up the entrance and you'll have a virtually impregnable, fully sustainable fortress in about 15 minutes that will practically never force your hand to do anything until you choose to let it.

It only gets complex when you want to make it complex. You want to get into trading? Well, here's another set of options for you. You want to craft? A few more! Bury your dead? More! Be combat-ready? More! This is what I like about DF's complexity. It can be as involving or mind-numbingly simple as you want to make it. The only hurdle is understanding and working with the interface, which can take a day or two.

Thanks for your detailed reply, Rexxie! :thumbup:

Managed to not fail within in the first year... yay! Even was able to form a militia and to form a squad to prevent goblin thievs from stealing my stuff. Although I didn't manged to kill them because they fled.

Did anyone try out the 2014 release? Is it too early (bugged) to play? Must check if DwarfTherapist is updated though - won't play without it.

Anyways... will be playing further tonight, this game is extremely addictive =D

Edit: Grammar...

Edited by gan

Ah, this game. I'm not too bad at it, minus the never making it past winter cause I always run out of drinks/Megabeast comes in and kills all my unarmed dwarves. ;_;