_Tsavo_

Tsavo's Crommie Review, Guide, and Opinions

I will preface this with the fact that I know full well that I'm not that good of a tanker, 1776 overall, so take this review/guide with a grain of salt.

To all the Purple Poasters please feel free to tear me apart, I'm sure I fucked something up or am suggesting something wrong

Constructive criticism is also welcome

Good afternoon ladies and mentlegen!  (or morning, or evening, or greetings from the future/past what have you)

After a few PMs and poking from friends, I've decided to throw together a guide on one of my favorite tanks in the game: The tier 6 British medium, the Cromwell.

There's two tanks in this game that I feel I've mastered, the tier 5 T14 and the tier 6 Cromwell.  I've done a review for the T14 heavy (here's the link to that review: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/398524-how-to-t14-its-review-time-a-tick-old-but-she-hasnt-changed-since/  ) and now I'm doing one for the Cromwell.  Being I have reliable and stable internet again, I'm going to start uploading more videos and how-to guides as well as some of my more epic games.  

Now, about the Cromwell, just what is it?  Well, it's one of the best balanced mediums in the game in terms of the armor triangle.  It balances an acceptable level of armor with a fast firing gun and a very mobile platform.  Now, that's not to say the armor on this tank is any good, it's acceptable against low tiers and will bounce the occasional shell, but don't rely on it to block incoming shots, it probably won't.  It's a very mobile platform which serves as your greatest offensive and defensive asset.  The ability to disengage from a fight or force a fight on your terms seems makes this one of the most flexible mid tier mediums you can have.

The Cromwell's Strengths:

• It's fast.  It accelerates quickly, it turns quickly, it cruises along at 64km/h on most terrain and in the mid 50s on swampy terrain. 
  • The mobility of the Crommie helps it establish very solid map control.  It's speed allows you to leave a winning a fight to help a another fight win, you can take part in every skirmish in a match, putting your gun to use all across the map
  • That same speed can help you carry a fight, keeping distance between you and the enemy and outrunning the enemy as you fall back.  
  • High DPM gun, with roughly a 3 second reload, you can bang out the shots rapidly, raking up the damage quickly and efficiently, using the previous strengths to keep yourself out of reach of enemy guns
  • Hull and turret traverse, combined with the speed, you can use these two in concert to go full tilt boogie and run circles around your opponents, staying ahead of their guns while you murderize their HP.  Almost every tank you encounter you can knife fight to death with a circling, juking maneuver.  Oddly enough, one of the slowest tanks, the TOG, will have no trouble keeping it's gun on you while you circle it as it's traverse is rather insane
  • A comfortable stock grind, using the 2nd 6 pounder gun with Enhanced Christie suspension to focus the grind on the guns and engines doing tracks last
  • Great wolf pack capability, a triple platoon of Cromwells is a force to be reckoned with, even in tier 8 games
  • 13 degrees of gun depression with the second 6 pounder and -8 degrees with the top 75 HV cannon (these are the two guns you want to use, the first during the grind)

Drawbacks of the Cromwell:

• Your armor.  It's not really going to stop most equal tier tanks or tanks of higher tier, against tier 4s and 5s, you'll have acceptable protection.  
  • The first 75mm gun you gain access to is misleading with terrible pen, stick with the second 6 pounder and use gold shells as needed (trust me, it's expensive, but easier to grind it this way)
  • Prone to module damage, the radio man and gunner tend to be dead.  A lot.  The ammo rack tends to be damaged often (but not destroyed, in my 3,300 battles I've been ammoracked twice that I can remember)
  • HE is scary, avoid at all costs unless you want your crew turned into a meaty soup scattered about the inside of your tank
  • Cannot mount ungraded turret on stock tacks without enhanced suspension

Cromwell Equipment:

1. Gun Laying Drive:  Why?  The Cromwell is terrible at one-the-move shooting, when you're in knife fight range (sub 100 meter engagements) you can shoot on the move with ease, otherwise you want to stop, aim, shoot then reposition and repeat.  With a 2.3 second aim time, the GLD helps make that more bearable
  2. OPTIONAL During grind: Enhanced Christie Suspension Why?  This allows you to skip the tracks research early on and focus on getting the best gun and the extra HP the top turret provides.  Once you've mounted the top turret and gun, getting exp for the rest of the modules shouldn't take long
  3. Medium Caliber Gun Rammer: Why?  It cuts down on the reload, allowing a quicker reload and more damage.  Why not?
  4. OPTIONAL: Vents.  Why?  It's a bonus to the crew all around.  If you're crew has BIA, this can be dropped for Optics or used until your crew gets BIA
  5. OPTIONAL: Coated Optics: Why?  You don't want to sit still long enough for binocs to kick in, you only want to sit still long enough to pop off a shot or two and then reposition for a better shot

2, 4, and 5 are all optional and vary based on player need and crew skills.  The Optics versus Binocs debate is really up to player preference, I don't recommend binocs as you really shouldn't be sitting still in a Crommie for extended periods of time

Suggestions on how to play

Rule #1: Stay alive.  This means don't take excessive risks early on and lose your HP to bad positioning and bad trades.  With optics and a 100% crew, you should have north of 400 meters of view range, meaning you should see what's coming before it sees you.  Spot things if you can and take up a spot where you can deal a shot or three of damage and pull back before incoming fire.  After the initial contact and first few damaging shots, you can spend the mid game helping or flexing where needed, or hanging back (in tier 8 games, usually) and taking shots of opportunity until you have a clear avenue to flank, attack, or fall back.  This takes map awareness to be good at.  Late game, use your speed and maneuvering capability to hunt down the last few guys if you're winning.  If you're in a losing game and have to carry to win, use vision and terrain to fall back and keep the enemy walking into your guns.  Use your speed and mobility to outrun the enemy advance and set up ambush positions.

A more passive early game in higher tier games is encouraged, whereas in games where it's mostly tier 6 with a tier 7 or two on each side you can be fairly aggressive, establishing a dominant position early.  Against tier 8s, this is not encouraged, instead waiting for moments to sneak in shots and jumping on isolated targets.   

Late game aggression is encouraged in games where you have the advantage.

Late game passive defensive play is encouraged where you're not in an advantageous position, relying instead on your view range and ability to rapidly reposition to work down your opponents in a fighting retreat.

CREW SKILLS

Commander: 6th-BIA-whatever you want 

Gunner:  Snap shot- BIA-whatever you want

Driver: Smooth Ride- BIA- Whatever you want

Radio man: Situational awareness- BIA- Whatever you want

Loader: Safe Stowage (or any of his three specialty skills)- BIA- Whatever you want

As a 3rd skill, you can go for camo for sneakiness or go my route and focus on tank comfort and focus on the tanks ability to be more accurate, turn quicker, rotate quicker, and so forth at the expense of camo bonuses.

Ammo loadout and consumables loadout:

AP shells: 40- most of what you'll see you'll have no problem penetrating with your standard AP shells

APCR: 20- KV 4/5, IS-6, and a few other really thick tanks will need this ammo unless you want to sit still up close and aim for a weak sp- *shot and dead*, nevermind, load gold and click

HE: 4 - Crit the tracks and get that reset or shoot a Nashorn in the butt for lulz

Small Repair, Small medkit, and Auto fire kit (it's worth the credits, seriously)

X3cqCKp.jpg

Review video

(Best in 1080 C: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsyuHWb4wqk

GAMEPLAY:

With commentary on how and why I make the choices I do

Match 1: (Defeat) To be added

Match 2: (victory and clean up damage) To be added

Match 3: (victory and mega carry) To be added

Match 4: (victory) To be added

BONUS Pool's match:

***NOTE*** I am waiting on my videos to convert one-by-one and be uploaded to youtube and I'll add the 4 battles I played after the review video as they're ready

If there's any questions, opinions, or suggestions on how I can make tank reviews and how-tos any easier, let me know!  

Thanks,

_Tsavo_

Bruh, cromwell aim time is 2.3 not 2.7 and optics is not optional you cant drop optics for vents, I would drop GLD for Vents as the vents also help with aimtime to a certain degree.

Decent first review if a little summarising.

Bruh, cromwell aim time is 2.3 not 2.7

ACK!

~fix'd~

Good catch

Perhaps put a little more emphasis on flanking and avoiding direct confrontation in your suggestions on how to play it.

Maybe that's just how I play it, but my style in the Crommie is to try to be that annoying fly that can't be killed. This is where the speed comes in, because the option to relocate to find a new angle of attack is pretty much always there. Basically only take shots of opportunity against distracted opponents and dpm them while they're looking the other way. Refrain from taking primary aggro unless absolutely necessary. Of course at some point later in a game you'll inevitably need to trade some shots but the fragile nature of the tank doesn't lend itself very well to a style of straight up peek-a-boom.

It can certainly afford to take more aggro against t6's but against t8 this method of "just don't get hit" becomes essential. The upside is that t8's will frequently underestimate the Crommie just because of the tier difference, but it has the dpm to prove them wrong with surprise buttsekkz while they're already engaged with someone else.

I love my Cromwell, and want to remind you one of its major disadvantages....

The Goddamn shell velocity!

It's really a challenge to snipe with if you aren't used to it... nothing a little apcr isn't good for though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqE2TAtuW48 Battle 1  (against a superior team with 3AFK tier 8s on my team) No surprise, this was a defeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyI9f-nrzdg Battle 2 (Good positioning, early shots, terrain abuse, and flanking maneuvers) Victory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MVCSH2xYp4 Battle 3 (early positioning on the hill falling back as I continue to be isolated, eventually leading to a heavy carry 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nxCQpBVPp4 Battle 4 (early position, other flank succeeds spectacularly, leavin gme ot rush in and flank late game)

BONUS:

ALL DA MEDALS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KfmQHk_Smg