KCrobble

What is a good survival rate?

EDIT: Oh, and I am thinking 50% is too high given that I have a 51% W/R. Am I correct that my 30% survival rate and 50% WR means I survive 60% of the games I win in?

Like I posted earlier, although you must have missed it.

You will die on nearly every defeat as matches are usually won by destruction of all enemy vehicles.

On the other hand, it's also possible to die on victories, as someone needs to be taking the hits.

Good players usually have higher survival rates, but it's not exactly uncommon to see them with low survival rates either.

Therefore, I do not really see a solid correlation between winning and survival rate.

Right, I get that Servios, but I am looking for a goal number.  I do wish to improve my WR which will improve my SR and vice versa.

Right now I am thinking that the goal should roughly be SR = WR * .75  

-or, put another way: "I should survive 75% of the games I win."  

This formula would put the goal at 38.6% SR for my current WR.  Were I to get to 60% WR that would be 45% SR, which would put me at the edge of Antonio's suggested range.

I think that generally makes sense

Survival rate is the big thing I need to work on to. Damage I seem to have down, kills I have down. But I tend to extend too much when soloing because I STILL think that my team will see the hole I make. I need to learn that they won't and work on keeping alive longer.

Survival rate is the big thing I need to work on to. Damage I seem to have down, kills I have down. But I tend to extend too much when soloing because I STILL think that my team will see the hole I make. I need to learn that they won't and work on keeping alive longer.

^^^ Bingo.  Though my kills and damage still need work, this over-extending in the interest of pulling the team with momentum is where I feel I screw up the most.  Once I am dead, I am no longer damaging or killing.

30% survival rate here. I find it very very very hard not to die and be aggressive enough to take key positions/spot at the same time. I suspect that being a medium tank player lowers survivability, but I don't have any data to back it up. Same with scouts. (i do scout a fair bit in my meds, always run with optics and camo)

Does anyone have access to any data that might verify that meds and lights have worst survival rate? It seems pretty logical when thinking about it...

Good point... it would be interesting to see that breakdown by vehicle class.

meh I personally think you are aiming for the wrong things. It's not good to aim for a particular # in survival rate, because say... one night you aren't surviving a whole lot. Then the rest of the night you play SUPER conservatively thinking to yourself "well I gotta maintain this 40% SR...", and end up not contributing as much as you could've to your team.

It's better to just try your best to win however you can - the stats will be sure to follow!

It's like with school. You don't aim for 90% or whatever - you aim to understand what you're learning as best you can, and then the marks will follow.

Keeping my survival in mind has definitely stopped me from YOLOing early and having no influence, as Carbon mentioned. It has improved my performances, albeit only by a small percentage of wins, however that is confounded by more solo play than the period I compare it to. I expect its been good for a few than the demonstrable 3% in platoon play. And of course it has helped my enjoyment, because being alive is more interesting than being in garage. 

Right now I am thinking that the goal should roughly be SR = WR * .75  

-or, put another way: "I should survive 75% of the games I win."  

This formula would put the goal at 38.6% SR for my current WR.  Were I to get to 60% WR that would be 45% SR, which would put me at the edge of Antonio's suggested range.

What you need to look into improving is your damage dealt to damage received ratio, not survival. Whether you survived a battle or not isn't important, what matters is if you used your health wisely to deal out a lot more than you received. The playstyle of most good players is to reserve trading in hitpoints to deal out a lot more damage or kill important targets, and otherwise avoid taking fire as they put it out.

And of course, a high DD:DR ratio will naturally improve your survival rate.

But no one cares if you survive 45% or 75% of the time if you aren't making your saved hitpoints useful in battle.

What you need to look into improving is your damage dealt to damage received ratio, not survival. Whether you survived a battle or not isn't important, what matters is if you used your health wisely to deal out a lot more than you received. The playstyle of most good players is to reserve trading in hitpoints to deal out a lot more damage or kill important targets, and otherwise avoid taking fire as they put it out.

And of course, a high DD:DR ratio will naturally improve your survival rate.

But no one cares if you survive 45% or 75% of the time if you aren't making your saved hitpoints useful in battle.

I agree that DD:DR is one of the more important (but only available via your dossier) statistics. A few caveats though, are that you cannot compare DD:DR across classes of tanks. A good value for a LT isn't close to a TD (let alone arty). 

MaxL told me, a long time ago, to find as many opportunities in which you can deal damage, but are very unlike to take damage. For HTs this involves the use of armor, for MT/LT its about camo/draw, and all classes use cover whenever possible of course! This drastically improves DD:DR which saves you HP to spend to turn or close out late games. 

What you need to look into improving is your damage dealt to damage received ratio, not survival. Whether you survived a battle or not isn't important, what matters is if you used your health wisely to deal out a lot more than you received. The playstyle of most good players is to reserve trading in hitpoints to deal out a lot more damage or kill important targets, and otherwise avoid taking fire as they put it out...

Willing!

This is right in line with what I am trying to do.  I see the individual stats in WoT statistics (DD & DR), and for the last 40 games I am 2:1  -What is a good target here?

I am working pretty heavily on the passive spotting aspect of the game which will throw it out of whack, but I am OK with striving for a 'normal' DD:DR goal with the handicap.

Willing!

This is right in line with what I am trying to do.  I see the individual stats in WoT statistics (DD & DR), and for the last 40 games I am 2:1  -What is a good target here?

I am working pretty heavily on the passive spotting aspect of the game which will throw it out of whack, but I am OK with striving for a 'normal' DD:DR goal with the handicap.

I found that passing 2 on HT/MT/LT really meant I was passing into good territory. When you get to 2.4 or so, you're really doing something right. 

Antonio, can you list some of your most played tanks DD:DR (http://wot-dossier.appspot.com/) for benchmarking purposes?

Going by most recently played:

Leopard PTA is at 2.8.

IS-6 2.8.

Leopard 2.4.

K/D ratio on the Leopard is 5.0. K/D ratio on the Proto is 5.9. IS-6 is 6.9.

I don't know what else to tell you, I could just upload my dossier here and you could take a look, I don't really know what I'm looking at, here.

Going by most recently played:

Leopard PTA is at 2.8.

IS-6 2.8.

Leopard 2.4.

K/D ratio on the Leopard is 5.0. K/D ratio on the Proto is 5.9. IS-6 is 6.9.

I don't know what else to tell you, I could just upload my dossier here and you could take a look, I don't really know what I'm looking at, here.

Having surveyed my dossier over time, and the dossiers of some other good players (jacg123) and made other requests, I was just looking for the outer limits of DD:DR. 2, 2.4 and 2.8 seem to be thresh-holds. 

You can upload, or you can just share for your most played tanks? Or the top 10 by ratio (no arty or TDs)?

Again, this is benchmarking, you've got little to learn from it likely, but we all can set a standard for ourselves, particularly because your style of play tends to be balanced, but with high conservation of HP for key maneuvers/closing. It won't have artificially high DD:DR from someone who camps hard, but gives a goal for those who prefer that playstyle. 

Any survival ratio higher than mine is a good survival ratio, as Crab can tell you :)

Because people will yell at me for being red 60-day, because I played tier 6 lights and sucked at them. :(  Instead, I could have padded 1k+ dpg in a KV-1S easy and gone at least blue.

I find the theory that you could run blue stats in one tank and red in everything else a bit hard to believe.

The T-54/HEAT spam got nerfed. :)

Either you are good or you aren't good. If you are that much better in the KV1s, you should examine WHY and then try to apply it to everything else.

Probably because the KV-1S is kinda OP and anyone who plays OP tanks extensively should not be taken seriously when comparing stats.

I disagree.

It is easy to play well... but it isn't OP. There are plenty of tier 6s that driven well, can eat up a KV-1s. The KV-1s has GLARING problems. Now... it is easy for the general pubbie to mitigate them, but I repeat that easy doesn't mean OP.

I agree that people that only play broken tanks should be scorned. T-69 HEAT/ T-54 HEAT/ M4 HEAT (all before heat nerfs anyway....I find that my T-54 shoots a lot of AP now... tracks eat HEAT and make me feel dumb)

My overall just hit 30% due to roughly 5k battles spent as a total n00b.

My survival rate on newer vehicles is better though :-)

This thread inspired me to add some collumns in my spreadsheet to see the comparison survival rate had to winning. I've added the results in my thread about http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/1944-tracking-progress/?p=29804.  The results were pretty interesting.  TL/DR: I found that in games I won I had a >50% survival rate.  In games I lost my survival rate was <10%.  This seems to me that the longer you keep your gun in the game the higher probability that you will not only win but also survive and perform extremely well.