Sign in to follow this  
Nalyk

Flights and 1.8

Begins laughing hysterically....

I'm to the point to where anything they do only serves as amusement. Granted, only time will tell how much this will improve things.

This coming from Potato's biggest flight padder now retired. :serb:

According to their blog entry, 2 person flights only average 53% a win rate. I wonder if that's so low because most folks interested in the end game are in clans which means more than 2 or three people. Clans are bigger so more people means bigger flights. Amblis and I however flight all the time have around 60% win rates and aren't in a clan. makes me feel that if people stick around and are truly good at the game it isn't going to solve the problem.

Tldr: WG's data is skewed because it doesn't take into account clam size or social groups that play their game. If clans still stick around and have 2 good people this change shouldn't really do much.

Thoughts?

Hilarious that they finally caught on, seeing as how the rest of us knew this a year ago.

When you have data like this "when there’s a three-people-flight in one team, and none in the other, then the flight-filled team wins in 74%", what the fucking fuck took so long to make this change?  Did they think that somehow their sample sizes of tens of thousands of games was just too small?

Hilarious that they finally caught on, seeing as how the rest of us knew this a year ago.

When you have data like this "when there’s a three-people-flight in one team, and none in the other, then the flight-filled team wins in 74%", what the fucking fuck took so long to make this change?  Did they think that somehow their sample sizes of tens of thousands of games was just too small?

I think it had to do with the abusers defending their abuse to ridiculous levels. The numbers have always been clear, but the debate was muddied by some rather contemptable people. To random RU devs reading thirdhand translations, I assume that looked like both sides had good points when really, one was just trollin'.

I apologize for not having enough determination or influence to yell at more people last year.

Sigh.

Been keeping the torch lit, buddy. And it finally happened! 1.5 years too late, but still! Woo!

I wonder what the stats are when both teams have 2 or 3 man flights. Isn't the MM forcing flights into each team, or did that go away with the latest MM overhaul?

That's the point I tried to make in my 2nd post, albeit clumsily.

Im wondering if more smaller flights will really solve the problem or simply be the same problem all over again.

The one thing I will miss is those rare times when you come against a flight of 3 bad-players-with-good-stats-from-flights when you are flying solo and then you proceed to out-play them one at a time, winning the match.

I remember the forum thread spawned by that article.  EPIC!  Too bad it got binned.

Addendum - just reread the article.  I had forgotten how salty is was.  Hilarious read.

I remember the forum thread spawned by that article.  EPIC!  Too bad it got binned.

In addition, WG's own statistics show an even greater disparity than RBS's article.

That thread is still here on WotLabs; The first 4 pages were cleaned up and had most of the trolling removed. Still a good read if you like peering at corpses ;)

In addition, WG's own statistics show an even greater disparity than RBS's article.

That thread is still here on WotLabs; The first 4 pages were cleaned up and had most of the trolling removed. Still a good read if you like peering at corpses ;)

Didn't realize that it lived on in the "garbage can".  Damn, I miss rbs.com

Reread that article too. Good stuff definitely.

Antiledo, I agree best feeling in the world coming out on top as the underdog.

I wonder what the stats are when both teams have 2 or 3 man flights. Isn't the MM forcing flights into each team, or did that go away with the latest MM overhaul?

I would assume it's a case of more flights on your team = more wins.  Their justification for this is that 2 man flights only win 53% of the time rather than 66%, according to their numbers.  Apparently the third person is the tipping point.

It's not necessary that the 3rd person in your flight will automatically make you win more, it is that by ensuring one particular player to have 100% chance of ending up on your team you are securing a significant level of skill on your team, as opposed to leaving it up to the MM to assign you a random player (who could very well be a skilled player, but more often than not a completely useless retard).

Simply put, the significance lies not in the 3rd player allowing flights to win more games, it is that the 3rd player will usually not be completely stupid or useless. The detrimental effects of having one retard on your team is usually greater than the positive effects of having one great player.

Just as it happens in tanks: platoons of good players win more games than solopubbers, this is an inevitable fact. Why do platoons win more? Perhaps the players are just that good, but I find this hard to believe to be the sole reason for inflated win rates. Rather, I perceive the dominant reason to be that by ensuring 2 other players to be always on your team, you are also ensuring 2 less unknown players on your team. The chances of those unknown players to be blues/purples are significantly lower than the chances that they will be 47% idiots. By being in a platoon of 3, you are effectively making sure your team of 15 players have at least 20% of them not being completely useless.

3vs27 is an easier fight than 1v29.

I'm not questioning WG's statistics, just trying to think out the logic. In order for this logic to work, people who flight would have to be average or better players. If below average players flight together, then they should not see this great increase in their win rate, right? I agree with the idea that flighting means less pubbies on your team, but what about a flight of pubbies?

I think that must be the only missing logical step (or maybe it is implied): average and better players tend to flight more than below average players. Therefore, flights boost win rate in the exponential manner as seen in WG's stats.

Though, it all makes sense. You could spin the change as "hurting" above average players; hence WG is catering to the unwashed mass of pubbies.

Food for thought ;)

http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.com/2015/04/scandalous-world-of-warplanes-stream.html

Wow this one was really interesting:

The devs in the video were asked why did WG make the change from 3-man flights to 2-man flights (for 1.8)?

Their answer:

- "We were testing the Auto-flight function and found there to be a big problem with it in that it will consistently create flights of 2, but getting it to auto-flight a third person was troublesome. I think flights of 2 will be beneficial to the game for that reason alone, because it is much easier to get 2 man flights than 3 man flights via the auto-flight function. Even when flighting up regularly, it's much easier and faster to find one wingman as opposed to two."

They changed flights to 2 in order to cover up their shitty programming abilities.

I_am_ready_for_your_rage.png

When in doubt, click-bait!

There's a translation that seems much more believable by Gang_Starr on the official forums, as it gives the same psuedo-answers WG has been known to give out quite handedly.

Link here.

When in doubt, click-bait!

There's a translation that seems much more believable by Gang_Starr on the official forums, as it gives the same psuedo-answers WG has been known to give out quite handedly.

Link here.

if this is the actual translation, this puts a pretty big dent in Rita's credibility.

That RU dev actually gave us the best example of why this game crashed and burned:

*Will bots be introduced into standard game mode?

-"Most likely yes, WG seems to have this task set as a priority and I'm predicting it will happen in patch 1.9. Player feedback on this topic has been overall negative, but we will work hard on making these bots more polished and I assure you that there will be an enormous amount of testing done if bots are to be introduced into standard battle mode in 1.9.

Yup; ignore customer feedback and continue to make the product worse. Guaranteed success.

The problem is that I don't know where they take the game besides adding bots.  Players can barely keep track of 2 dimensions and 3 seems to be literally impossible.  In one conversation early on w/ Mugsy, he flat-out shut me down and said that my problems with the game were not remotely indicative of the problems of others.  My guess as to why they don't fix the aiming system has to do with the sheer lack of trust in the average player.  The data they released with the 2-man flights is so perverse that I can't get my head around it.  The rest of the data must be damn disheartening for them to take this route.

I mean, they can't pour much more money into planes.  So what do they do just by tweaking some variables?  At some point I think they just have to compress the altitude to a de-facto 2-D environment and make it cap-fast friendly like WoWS.