Garbad

Garbad reviews the AMX 30 1er

The Patton doesn't really appeal to me anymore now that this thing is out. But the M46 is not the Patton I'm after, so I need to finish it anyway. I also don't get the hype about this things ammorack compared to the Leo1, since it has frontal fuel tanks instead.

There are 2 things that help prevent fires. Preventative m. and auto fire x. There is only one thing that prevents ammo racking.

There are 2 things that help prevent fires. Preventative m. and auto fire x. There is only one thing that prevents ammo racking.

Neither of those things prevent fuel tank fires, only CO2 equipment can, but nobody in their right mind uses that.

Yeah CO2 is useless. 

Fires seem to be started when you get hit in the LFP, much like the T54/140/62A. Hide that you should be safe from fuel fires

Auto fire extinguisher pays for itself many times over.  Prevents fires and puts them out PDQ.  

Exactly ! this is what i experience. And yes , i do stack BIA+vents+ food

I knew it was gonna happen sometime. My gun threw a game and absolutely humiliated me. Alone KV4 in cap I'm the only one alive. I get in his flank, and I shoot once unspotted. His whole rear side was hanging out. Miss. Threw it to the ground. I'm like ok, I got one more. And it threw it to the same exact spot. And the last one because he almost capped I went closer, I missed his full on turret and he killed me. Absolutely humiliating. 

Hummm, so I free exp'd the gun to start with.

Turret or tracks first? I'm using torsion bars right now.

I went tracks first (after i freexpd the gun). But the view range is abysmal :(

When I removed torsion bars, I've put optics right away. I'm running vstab, rammer and optics now. It was a bit better, but only after I have put turret I dared to play scout roles to the fullest.

I LOVE this tank! I pull more DPG than lots of my tier 10s. Gun derps quite a bit, but i remember Leo PTA doing the same back in the days. It might be balancing factor :)

Out of consumables I'm running small repair and med kit with coffee. Out of ~100 games, I have been set on fire once. I might actually keep this tank, since I have new crew on CDC to train for it, and the ladies will go on 30B.

Victory!
Battle: Fisherman's Bay 
Vehicle: AMX 30 1er prototype
Experience received: 2,388
Credits received: 85,810
Battle achievements: Top Gun, High Caliber, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker" 

gA0t2tL.jpg

qrpOqgp.jpg

It's all about player not tank. I was in my T54 with 500hp, 1 on 1 took out a 1650 full hp AMX30 1er knife fight, no ammo rack. He seemed had problem to pen my angled front. I bounced 3 shots and finished him.

Had some doubts about the value of this line when it was announced, but with the weekend sales and the tank unlocked I decided to buy it and give it a go. Played a few rounds with only tracks and engine researched, and, while workable, 250 damage every 8 seconds wasn't cutting it at tier 9. Free xp'd all the top modules, and the tank really surprised me.

First of all, 260 AP pen at tier 9 is ridiculous. You rarely if ever have to fire HEAT, even against tier 10s. I recall penning an E100s mantlet from 400m. Yeah. Grinding to the 30B, I made around 2 million credits. Compared to Patton and E50, it's much more comfortable on your credits.

Second, the straight line speed is excellent. I would put it on par with the Leo PTA. Really opens up possibilities mid and late game for flexes. While the turning radius is terrible, it's not that big of a deal. Just don't get in situations where you're relying on it (brawling) and it's fine.

View range with BIA/coffee/optics is 456, so not bad at all. After finishing the grind tonight, I'm not totally sure on the best combo of equipment and consumables. There's a lot of trade offs you have to account for. For equipment I put rammer/vert/optics. Vents/GLD in place of optics is feasible. I just feel more comfortable with higher view range on sniping tanks. For consumables, I played a good chunk of games with repair/medkit/coffee. I had my best games with this setup, but there were also those games where I got set on fire by a tomato T29 and died because of front mounted fuel tanks. So I switched coffee out for AFE and had more consistent games, but missed a lot more shots. The last 10 games, I ran with repair/AFE/coffee, and it seemed to be the best compromise. There is definitely room for debate here, though.

All in all, really fun tank! It's moved above the Patton for me, tied with T55A and right behind E50 for my favorite tier 9 med.

Bought new toy last night, played 1 game, 2400 damage only, on mastery badge at all. Second game, 2600 damage and 2000 spotting damage only 3rd class. You guys set the bar too high. LOL

Ok, I am seriously beginning to love this tank.  Currently sat at 59% WR in it, which for a scrub like me is pretty damn good.  It feels like a Tier X, the pen is great the bloom is manageable though I still DERP shots occasionally.  I do far better in it than in my T62A which really puzzles me given the T62A has better armour and a better gun,  I think its the alpha that makes the difference together with the little thing at the back of my mind saying "The Armour is shit, stay back and take your time" which I have tried unsuccessfully on the T62A.

I am tempted to replace Optics with vents... both Recon and Sit Aware are ~ 100%. I would love to run coffee but that fire hazard... Fuel tanks and crew members are the modules I lose the most, and repair pack is mandatory :/

Bought new toy last night, played 1 game, 2400 damage only, on mastery badge at all. Second game, 2600 damage and 2000 spotting damage only 3rd class. You guys set the bar too high. LOL

I aced it with a bit above 1500 xp. I got so big hard on, I had to record it (the replay, not hard on)

I'm sure I'll reconsider when it happens, but so far I lose modules more frequently than crew. So I'm running AFE/Lrep/Coffee. 

Most values are great, but bloom and track traverse need coffee-based love really.

Might spec into PM and drop the AFE, see what happens. Does that actually work? It's a flat drop in fire chance right?

Does that actually work? It's a flat drop in fire chance right?

Indeed, i used to spec it on my german lines.

I'm sure I'll reconsider when it happens, but so far I lose modules more frequently than crew. So I'm running AFE/Lrep/Coffee. 

Most values are great, but bloom and track traverse need coffee-based love really.

Might spec into PM and drop the AFE, see what happens. Does that actually work? It's a flat drop in fire chance right?

It's a drop in engine fires, but not in fuel tank ones I believe.

It's a drop in engine fires, but not in fuel tank ones I believe.

You still can fill with CO2 !! ;)  ( who ever put that shit in one of his tank ??? )

Yes, but, the issue with the 30 is fuel tanks vulnerable from the front. PM doesn't do anything for fuel tanks.

Yes, but, the issue with the 30 is fuel tanks vulnerable from the front. PM doesn't do anything for fuel tanks.

Glorious.

Thanks Wargaming ¬_¬

Guess I'm always gonna be running AFE.

Yeah, AFE is pretty much required. Best option is to run AFE/repair/coffee and train jack of all trades on commander.

I also moved out vert stab for vents (running vents/rammer/optics) and I think it's pretty damn viable. With BIA/coffee/vents, reload is 7.83, view range is ~470. Takes a bit longer to aim with Vstab off, but its nothing unmanageable.

Have they stealth nerfed the gun? I had a bounce with GOLD on a FCM50T from the side of the turret.........