Deusmortis

3rd person firing more accurate?

It really does seem like 3rd person shooting is a tad more accurate. For me, it's extremely noticeable in the KV-1S. Don't really know if this is confirmation bias on my part, or not.

I get unease feelings shooting at tanks 50 meters away in 3rd person, because I'm worried about my reticle will drift to an odd angle plate because the resolution of 3rd person reticle is low. It's especially true against IS and KV series with strips of autobounce area. So I don't know how anyone can use 3rd person shooting for anything that's not in city and right in front of you and not get a ton of turret/track shots.

My last game last night.

M18 hiding behind the buildings.  I fire and hit for no damage.  I fire and miss.

R-Click on him, fire on the move, hit for 200+ and kill him...

Change the quality to 720P and it's a little better

Auto Aim is the best way to mitigate "Tunnel Vision" brought on by sniper view. Some tanks excel at it, especially in the situations I've listed below.

1. Opportunity fire while pushing/repositioning to press an advantage and there's a possibility a target may expose itself while I'm on the move.

2. Rocking back and forth/peekaboo against a target that I know I can pen anywhere and I feel safe doing so.

3. Locking on to a target I am about to rush to try to side-hug or flank 

4. Firing on a distant target that I am able to highlight in 3rd person but unable to aim at in sniper view (This is especially useful with howitzers/high arc guns).

5. Circling/Carouseling a target and I am also trying to keep an eye on the what is going on around me.

The one thing all these situations have in common is that manuevering is more important than accuracy in these moments. 

I would never recommend using auto-aim when you have the time and opportunity to aim a shot at a weak point on your target.

Most auto aim shots seem to hit center mass or in the turret. I can't say that I have ever de-tracked a tank with an auto-aim shot.

I have heard people say that auto-aiming is for noobs and even had people rage after locking on to them and destroying them.

For those people I have to ask; Which shows less skill, someone who knows when to use the tool or someone who allows themself to be killed by it?

Sniper mode it seems introduces some crazy RNG stuff to accuracy. I dunno but i too have also found out that i achieve some incredible long range hits and kills in 3rd person view.

Sniper mode it seems introduces some crazy RNG stuff to accuracy. I dunno but i too have also found out that i achieve some incredible long range hits and kills in 3rd person view.

And you do in sniper as well. The difference is just perception.

In sniper you can see clearly just how badly off target the RNG sent your shot, while in third person you have no idea.

Have you thought about that psychologically you simply expect different results when aiming in 3rd person compared to sniper view? When you zoom in to hit a tank you are probably shooting at longer ranges, you put more work into it expecting better results and you notice misses more easily compared to when shooting in 3rd person. You aim at a tank, wait for the aim to get small enough and then shoot. You don't expect it to always hit like you do in fully zoomed mode becasue you put less effort in and it also looks less likely to hit in the first place. So you simply tend to ignore the misses but remember the hits better in 3rd person mode.

So in other words 3rd person zoom can give you better results but only because you take the easier shots that way. For more difficult and more likely to miss shots you use zoom. And there are of course situations where 3rd person can help make shots which are impossible in zoomed in (shooting over terrain, shooting on the move).

I use sniper mode when I have good cover, and don't expect to need to move for the next couple seconds. This allows me to place a more accurate shot at week points. I'll use normal 3rd person if I'm moving, or a easy target presents it's self. It's all situational.

I thought I'd test out all your thesi in a pub match in my Panther I. Here's the link and I must say I was absolutely astounded!!! :P

http://wotreplays.com/site/242320#sand_river-mooseybro-pzkpfw_v_panther

I tried both 1st person (scoping) and 3rd person (no scoping) and I achieved some funny ones with 3rd person that I wouldn't have with 1st person.

I agree and think that if you shoot in 3rd person, you're far more likely to hit a target who's barely in/out of cover, esp at range.

There really are instances that 3rd person is a bit better. Like those steel fences in Himmelsdorf (near the tracks; similar fences are in other maps as well) which will likely block your view when in sniper mode and end up obscuring an enemy from the other side of the fence...

As Shackram would have noticed,I tend to get out of sniper mode before actually firing,this is purely preference/aesthetics,so I'd be really curious if it did.

I do to, it only sucks when you get a magical lag spike or hand shake and your shot is on the other side of the map.

I watched that replay with the -G- whiner last night.  The Type59 in the replay appeared to bump out of Sniper right before he fired.  That would just confuse the crap out of me.  Maybe there was a slight delay and he shot then switched.

http://wotreplays.com/site/217104

I do the same thing out of habit, I hit shift and fire almost instantaneously... Not sure how it affects my aim though

To test for WG RNG conspiracy, I propose the following test:

Side 1: Maus turned forward directly facing NC-31.

Side 2: Chinese Renault NC-31, with 50% crew and auto cannon.

Map: Malinovka, standard battle, 5 minutes.

NC-31 move to 200m away from the Maus, use auto aim and fire as many round as possible starting at the 3 minute mark. At the end of the battle calculate shots hit divided by shots fired.

Repeat the process with either 3rd person or sniper mode. Post the results.

I for one had not used auto aim in a long time, way back when I was a noob, but had read a few top players stating that they use it, some claiming often.  I started thinking about situations that it might be helpful and have started using it nearly every battle now.  I also have started using 3rd person shooting more as well and as people have stated whether it truly is more accurate or just perception, I do find that I do get some hits that I wouldn't have expected to connect on. 

My only gripe with third person is the tendancy on close range shots to go in the dirt when trying to shoot the lower front plate, but I get it that being in 3rd person you are looking down and that is just a pitfall of the way it is set up.  A good situation to use auto aim right there.  I use 3rd person auto aim when peekabooing, it keeps the reticle settled and when going in to sniper mode in these situations the reticle has the tendancy to go bonkers and zoom to a roof top or some other object that ruins dispersion.  I went with a new set of mods for 8.6 and one of them is the 4x scope mod, it is actually causing me more harm than good and I think I am going to try a different mod package.  With how zoomed in it gets it is hard to locate target sometimes.