Rexxie

Quick Questions/Quick Answers

Going by the stats currently on the test server, it's to give the IS-4 a less nerfed gun than the tier 9s.

Wut?

I thought IS8 & ST-I were getting a nerfed IS4 gun. Not the other way around. 

There are a lot of view points, including one at the very top of the turret.  There is a post somewhere showing them; it is like 8-10 per tank.  That's why when surfing you don't really need to expose your tank to possible damage and can get away with just barely peeking the top of the turret over.  It's also why you can get spotted if a bush doesn't cover the very top of your tank.

It might better if the vision check (outbound) had less viewpoints than the spotting check (inbound), so that you could still be spotted pretty easily but have to know how to spot to do it well.  But spotting is already losing viability so I'm not sure that would be a gameplay improvement, and even more confusing for people learning the spotting system.

I think I understand the theory of spotting points. IIRC there are only two outbound points, a static point and a dynamic point. The dynamic point is supposed to be at the base of the gun and the static point is on the center top of turret at the highest point on the turret. What I'm really interested in is if there is a way to truly check where on a specific tank model WG has set those points. 

Wut?

I thought IS8 & ST-I were getting a nerfed IS4 gun. Not the other way around. 

Both of them have nerfed guns on test, the IS-4 just less so. The 122mm M62 has 240mm AP penetration at 100 meters, 211mm penetration at 500 meters, and 300mm HEAT (contrast with current 258/250/340 respectively). The 122mm M62 IS-4 has 258/227 AP, HEAT remaining the same. This decoupling of weapons could hypothetically allow Wargaming to balance guns in ways other than reload and gun handling. I think we can agree that competitive penetration values at tier 10 could be too powerful at tier 9.

I think I understand the theory of spotting points. IIRC there are only two outbound points, a static point and a dynamic point. The dynamic point is supposed to be at the base of the gun and the static point is on the center top of turret at the highest point on the turret. What I'm really interested in is if there is a way to truly check where on a specific tank model WG has set those points. 

In a training room use a high building to cover turret and then moving just a bit test every inch/pixel of tank till you spot an enemy tank (remember about 50m prox). 

I was watching Zeven play the CGC. I noticed he often place the hull on the incline of a hill. How does this affect the arc of a SPG round in terms of firing distance and height of the arc?

I was watching Zeven play the CGC. I noticed he often place the hull on the incline of a hill. How does this affect the arc of a SPG round in terms of firing distance and height of the arc?

It only affects the firing distance or arc if you are at maximum gun elevation/depression.  Otherwise, the arc is always calculated the same regardless of your pitch (as far as I can tell).  I have never seen a "more useful" shot at a higher pitch (I think it has something to do with the way WG calculates the "ceiling"), but you can use a lower pitch to shoot people at lower elevations or to shotgun people (because the gun depression on artillery sucks).

It only affects the firing distance or arc if you are at maximum gun elevation/depression.  Otherwise, the arc is always calculated the same regardless of your pitch (as far as I can tell).  I have never seen a "more useful" shot at a higher pitch (I think it has something to do with the way WG calculates the "ceiling"), but you can use a lower pitch to shoot people at lower elevations or to shotgun people (because the gun depression on artillery sucks).

Helps with the Bishop and FV304 though... 

Also helps to hide you from tanks.

So years ago I purchased a T-34-3, I think probably when it had just come out. I couldn't stand the gun depression and hated the tank so hard that I ragesold it after 20 battles. Now that I'm a better player I figured I'd use WG's system to restore a sold prem and give it a second chance. I believe there is something to be learned here, and that if I master the -3's depression I will be even more comfortable hulling down in my 62A / 140.

Played a few games last night and all in all it wasn't too bad. Only problem is I've never done chinatanks, so I have no crew, and no desire to spend gold so I get to start with 75% potatoes. I haven't done that in a very long time. Is it worth running food for the duration of their training to 100% to somewhat offset their low skill? Dat bloom is horrendous.

Woulda grabbed camo over Offroad and Smooth Ride, and you probably want to get rid of that broken Commander/Radioman skill. Otherwise fine.

Why is it broken? :O So full camo as the 4th line... Damn, will have to retrain.

In your Rudy, your Commander was also your Radioman, so you could train Situational Awareness. In your T-54, he is no longer the radioman - the loader is, so your commander can no longer use Situational Awareness. That's why it's greyed out despite being a skill and not a perk. Retrain it to camo.

My T-54 crew, taken from Rudy, so BIA is a 0 perk.

Are you sure BIA on the rudy crew is a 0th skill?

I would swear that I checked and proved that it was a 1st skill.  

100% sure, I was resetting skills and that one was permanent.

Right, but how much XP does it take to get the first non-BIA skill?  Does it take 210000, or 420000?  My recollection is someone who had not run any battles checked a berlin crew member, and found that he required 200 xp (rather than 100 xp) to get from 0% to 1%, which would confirm that BIA is the 1st, and not the zeroeth skill, from the standpoint of how much xp subsequent skills require to level up.  

Granted, this was during the flux time when girl crew were supposed to have SOS as a zeroeth skill, but it had been bugged and was acting as a first skill, and that has since been corrected.  
it is possible that they changed the berlin crew members as well, but that would be news to me.

Right, but how much XP does it take to get the first non-BIA skill?  Does it take 210000, or 420000?  My recollection is someone who had not run any battles checked a berlin crew member, and found that he required 200 xp (rather than 100 xp) to get from 0% to 1%, which would confirm that BIA is the 1st, and not the zeroeth skill, from the standpoint of how much xp subsequent skills require to level up.  

Granted, this was during the flux time when girl crew were supposed to have SOS as a zeroeth skill, but it had been bugged and was acting as a first skill, and that has since been corrected.  
it is possible that they changed the berlin crew members as well, but that would be news to me.

AFAIK there was a bug last patch.

I just tested it.  To convert Free XP to go from 0 to 100% on the first skill on the Berlin crew costs 42,012 Free XP.  Multiply by five for a grand total of 210,060 Crew XP to go from 0 to 100% on the first skill.

So BIA is a free perk on the Berlin tank crews.  

I'm looking for medium that doesn't have to play camo / view / snipe games.

E.g. T-34-1.

What are the most effective ones, especially at tier 10?

E50M? 121? T62A?

So in short:

- Brawl, close range.

- Counters meds frontally (turret armor and/or hull).

- Fast enough to influence hill (e.g. Mines, Karelia).

- Capable of holding off heavies for a short period.

- Doesn't rely on camo.

Research path for the T-54? Also only got 40k free xp, what should i save it for?

Get the turret and gun leading to 140. Those are essential.

Gun is most important but I don't know if you can mount it on stock turret.