Jump to content
Rexxie

Quick Questions/Quick Answers

Recommended Posts

10k games, the guy knows the difference between HE and AP / APCR and penetrating vs non-penetrating hits right? 
 
Right? o.O
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a quick one, playing mostly scouts and meds at the moment, at about 1950ish recent wn8, 1540 overall so have a fair idea what I'm doing!

Ifni get spotted, 6th goes off, let's say I take a shot, does that reset my spotted timer? I'm finding myself spotted, shot, ducking, waiting for my 10sec timer to go peaking out in different location or even still in cover and being hit. Deffo not blind fired either.. Could be the mod is incorrect or is there a mod that reliably shows your still spotted? 6th should process immediately too IMO, 3 seconds is bullshit.

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sixth sense goes of 3 seconds after you got spotted. If you shoot then of course the timer resets, because you drop a lot of camo rating. That's why I never understood the usage of the mod that peeps for x amount of seconds to tell you when you are not spotted anymore. It doesn't tell you if you were spotted again during the countdown and therefore the countdown resets. Keep in mind sixth sense also doesn't help you when you are permanently spotted.

For me that system is much better then in AW for example, ok it might not be so easy for new players to pick up, but it gives passive scout huge advantages for example. It is according to the name an intuitive thing, kinda feeling by the commander after all, which makes more sense to me than AW's godly knowledge to know if you are spotted at all times.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude.. don't rely on that timer -> also you wait 1 second before driving out people are pre-aimed.. you get lit and that shell hits you before your 6th goes off... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, I think I have been perma spotted and timer goes away, I think I'm.safe again and blam. Might turn the timer off actually.

Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Baron Georg said:

0k I have asked this question before and have been told it can't happen period dot.   Well once again I've gotten BELOW the minimum damage listed for a shot.   To be specific-- target Is6 "Mohawk" on the roof above the gun shield hit for 4 count em 4 points of damage.  The roof is not spaced armor or tracks right, just plain armor.  here is the screen shot of the hit log showing the 4 points of damage.

Please explain how you can't get BELOW minimum damage listed if this occurs.

If you watch your replay and confirm you're shooting AP/APCR/HEAT instead of HE, if someone else shot the IS-6 at the same time as you, your shell could have bounced and looked like you did 4 damage. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shutupshake said:

Can HE/HESH shells autobounce/ricochet? If so, at what angle?

I can't find a clear answer.

they can't ricochet, but if you shoot at an extreme angle, it will get almost no penetration through the armor with it's own pen, and will have to pen the full thickness with the blast.  such shots often hit for zero damage.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, weesh said:

they can't ricochet, but if you shoot at an extreme angle, it will get almost no penetration through the armor with it's own pen, and will have to pen the full thickness with the blast.  such shots often hit for zero damage.  

This is not quite true. If you don't pen with HE, splash damage is calculated using standard HE damage formula wiki. The angle at which you hit the armor doesn't influence the HE damage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, KurtaMurta said:

This is not quite true. If you don't pen with HE, splash damage is calculated using standard HE damage formula wiki. The angle at which you hit the armor doesn't influence the HE damage.

wait, if you don't full pen, it is completely irrelevant how close you got to full penning?  

so if you only had 53mm pen, it would be better to shoot HE at 90mm armor @ 80 deg than to shoot 100mm armor @ 0 deg?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, weesh said:

wait, if you don't full pen, it is completely irrelevant how close you got to full penning?  

so if you only had 53mm pen, it would be better to shoot HE at 90mm armor @ 80 deg than to shoot 100mm armor @ 0 deg?

Almost certainly, yes. As far as I know, the splash calculation is entirely separate. Splash isn't necessarily resolved on the impact point anyway.

Easy enough to test though. Shoot some armour that you can nearly pen, see how the damage rolls come out. Make sure that there's no softer armour nearby to take the splash.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Golem501 said:

So HEAT can bounce but HE and HESH do not?

HE/HESH don't bounce, but can do 0 damage. If you don't pen with HE, damage is calculated as 0.5*[Nominal HE damage] - 1.1*Armor (this is simplified version of the formula). For example, if you shoot HE from T-62a's gun (420 damage) at E-100 upper plate (200mm armor) you get: 0.5*420 - 1.1*200 = -10. So, unless you high roll (440+), you'll end up doing 0 damage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it can do 0 damage... that's why I stopped carrying HE on some tanks... frigging HE into the trackwheel didn't decap B***it APCR all da way.

Then again, nowadays with both WT lines AND Jap Heavies I started carrying it  more on tanks that have space for it... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, KurtaMurta said:

HE/HESH don't bounce, but can do 0 damage. If you don't pen with HE, damage is calculated as 0.5*[Nominal HE damage] - 1.1*Armor (this is simplified version of the formula). For example, if you shoot HE from T-62a's gun (420 damage) at E-100 upper plate (200mm armor) you get: 0.5*420 - 1.1*200 = -10. So, unless you high roll (440+), you'll end up doing 0 damage.

I managed to fire a KV-2 HE shell into a Sturer Emil's mantlet for 39 damage. #tomatoRNG

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sergeant_Fgt said:

I also survived a tk-attempt by a KV-2 shooting my elc's gun.
The kv-2 was sub 50% iirc, so I guess #tomatoRNG works in both ways. :unicum:

not-saying-it-was-aliens-but-it-was-alie

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nemlengyel said:

I managed to fire a KV-2 HE shell into a Sturer Emil's mantlet for 39 damage. #tomatoRNG

You probably hit his gun, not the mantlet. The splash damage is reduced by distance and hitting the gun is the same as an arty hitting the ground few meters from you. Hitting the mantlet should cause a lot more damage, as the distance from the actual hitbox is quite small.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KurtaMurta said:

You probably hit his gun, not the mantlet. The splash damage is reduced by distance and hitting the gun is the same as an arty hitting the ground few meters from you. Hitting the mantlet should cause a lot more damage, as the distance from the actual hitbox is quite small.

Seems legit, he was at a funny angle so that could have been the case, yeah. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

i remember facing a CDC in the borsig with 128mm.  he was at about 520, so I switched to HE.  the CDC managed to get his gun in the way, and I only did about 150.  GRRRRRRRR.  and well played CDC.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, weesh said:

wait, if you don't full pen, it is completely irrelevant how close you got to full penning?  

so if you only had 53mm pen, it would be better to shoot HE at 90mm armor @ 80 deg than to shoot 100mm armor @ 0 deg?

Yep, which is why it's basically better to shoot at the turret as low as you can, because then the blast radius will come across the top of their hull armor where armor is much weaker, giving you more damage and maybe knocking out a few modules (gun, driver, gunner). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be kind of neat if it substituted the the thickness of the plate it hits for that thickness minus the penetration roll of the HE shell when it looks for the most vulnerable surface.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cunicularius said:

Would be kind of neat if it substituted the the thickness of the plate it hits for that thickness minus the penetration roll of the HE shell when it looks for the most vulnerable surface.

i'm so disappointed that that isn't how it works.  It would make so much sense.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...