Rexxie

Quick Questions/Quick Answers

13 minutes ago, weesh said:

i'm so disappointed that that isn't how it works.  It would make so much sense.  

KV-2 would rekt everything with armor not based on thickness :)

1 minute ago, nemlengyel said:

KV-2 would rekt everything with armor not based on thickness :)

Oh, sorry, thickness relative to the angle of impact, not nominal.

6 hours ago, Cunicularius said:

Oh, sorry, thickness relative to the angle of impact, not nominal.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

Not unless it directly impacted the weakest plate... The penetration value you see is for the shell itself to penetrate armor, not the blast of the shell. Once the shell detonates, you could have 500 pen, but if only the blast radius from the shell hits the weak armor, it wouldn't make a difference.

31 minutes ago, Chiroptor said:

Not unless it directly impacted the weakest plate... The penetration value you see is for the shell itself to penetrate armor, not the blast of the shell. Once the shell detonates, you could have 500 pen, but if only the blast radius from the shell hits the weak armor, it wouldn't make a difference.

Can you explain again?

23 hours ago, Cunicularius said:

Would be kind of neat if it substituted the the thickness of the plate it hits for that thickness minus the penetration roll of the HE shell when it looks for the most vulnerable surface.

1 hour ago, Cunicularius said:

Can you explain again?

For illustration purposes, let's just say a tank has 400mm of turret armor on top of a 20mm thick hull. If you shoot an HE shell with 300mm of pen at the turret, the shell will still explode on the turret and the real damage done will be determined by the blast radius hitting the 20mm hull armor. Penetration of the shell as of now is the armor going through whatever armor it hits, not the penetration of the blast radius. So even if your shell has way more penetration than the armor within the blast radius, it only matters if the shell itself goes through that weak armor to do full damage. The shell's blast radius doesn't have its own value of penetration.

TL;DR: Penetration doesn't matter if you don't directly hit the armor with the shell. 

1 hour ago, Chiroptor said:

For illustration purposes, let's just say a tank has 400mm of turret armor on top of a 20mm thick hull. If you shoot an HE shell with 300mm of pen at the turret, the shell will still explode on the turret and the real damage done will be determined by the blast radius hitting the 20mm hull armor. Penetration of the shell as of now is the armor going through whatever armor it hits, not the penetration of the blast radius. So even if your shell has way more penetration than the armor within the blast radius, it only matters if the shell itself goes through that weak armor to do full damage. The shell's blast radius doesn't have its own value of penetration.

TL;DR: Penetration doesn't matter if you don't directly hit the armor with the shell. 

I don't think I made my concept clear enough, so I will try to go through it more thoroughly without the assistance of any actual illustrations. They're a pain to make.

At the moment, for an HE shell impacting a tank, there are 2 cases for damage calculation. The 1st case is that the shell manages to penetrate the armor it hits, Penetration Roll for the HE Shell >= Thickness of the Plate Divided by Cosine of the Angle of Impact. This is fairly straightforward. For nonpenetrations, there is a function. I don't know the function offhand, but its not necessary to know the function, only the relevant variables. Indirect HE Damage = f(Alpha of the Shell, Blast Radius of the Shell, Minimum distance from Detonated Shell to Armor Plate, Thickness of Armor Plate). The Indirect Damage Dealt is the Maximum of this function for every armor plate within the blast radius. My concept affects this case. Given that the HE Shell has actually impacted the Hull, and it did not penetrate, the function for this specific armor plate and only this plate is as follows: Dmg = f(Alpha of the Shell, Blast Radius of the Shell (This value shouldn't actually make any difference, it just needs to be more than 0), 0 (Minimum distance from Detonated Shell to Armor Plate, since it detonates "inside" the armor plate it hit, this value is 0), Thickness of Armor Plate minus the product of the Penetration of HE Shell and Cosine of the Angle of Impact (In other words, instead of the Nominal Thickness of the armor plate, the function will instead use the distance from the 'inside' of the hull to where the HE shell detonated, which will be strictly less than the nominal thickness.) So, if you were to shoot a very thick plate with a thin plate next to it, its very likely that the calculation for the very thin plate will be used. But if you shoot an armor plate whose line of sight thickness is such that the damage calculation for the plate is greater than the adjacent thinner plate, you will deal more damage. For example, if I shoot an armor plate whose' thickness is 60mm at a flat, 90 degree angle with a shell of 40mm penetration, while there is an adjacent plate of 20mm thickness, you will deal more damage than expected. You will deal damage as if the shell had detonated at range 0 from the 20mm plate rather than some distance away from it. That's the act of the shell penetrating 40mms into the 60mm plate.

Does that make more sense?

Does anybody know what this tank is supposed to be?

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/22/setting-guest/

Looks like a Sherman

Does snap shot affect SPG (yes.. missions.. I know :P ) gun traverse?

8 hours ago, Nalok said:

Does snap shot affect SPG (yes.. missions.. I know :P ) gun traverse?

I have always assumed it affects turretless TD gun traverse, I would assume the same for SPG (non-turreted)... 50% certainty on this though.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Crew#Skills

The Snap Shot Skill enables the Gunner to reduce the penalty to accuracy and shot dispersion that is applied to shots made while the turret is in rotation. The effectiveness is progressive by an amount of 0.075% per percentage point of the Skill's Training Level up to a maximum of 7.5% when the Skill level reaches 100%. Although not maybe as valuable on vehicles without turrets, the Snap Shot Skill does apply to gun traverse movement on turret-less vehicles too. The effect of the Snap Shot Skill is cumulative with that of any installed Vertical Stabilizer equipment. If two Gunners on the vehicle have the Snap Shot Skill, only the one with the higher Training Level is effective.

The Snap Shot Skill is primarily helpful on fast tanks that like to circle or flank, but also useful for peek-a-boo shooting. To be clear, the Snap Shot Skill improves the accuracy of shots made while the "turret" is moving and the Smooth Ride Skill affects same when the "vehicle"'s hull is moving. Both Snap Shot and Smooth Ride Skills are recommended for best performance, particularly for medium tanks or for any player who likes to run and gun and fire on the move.

I would say yes it helps... 99% certainty based on wiki entry

Still having trouble getting an answer to this one:

when I'm in sniper mode, and I turn the tank, the CAMERA turns with the chassis.  I can't get it to stop doing this.  I've done probably 10k games with the camera free, so it is really disorienting and makes it hard to get mid range shots on the move.  What option do I have to check to turn this off?

2 hours ago, weesh said:

Still having trouble getting an answer to this one:

when I'm in sniper mode, and I turn the tank, the CAMERA turns with the chassis.  I can't get it to stop doing this.  I've done probably 10k games with the camera free, so it is really disorienting and makes it hard to get mid range shots on the move.  What option do I have to check to turn this off?

That sounds like you somehow disabled Horizontal Stabilization.

Game Settings -> General tab -> Horizontal Stabilization in Sniper Mode check-box.

ok, so in 2 weeks I can play this cancer game again because I have time :serb:

is the centurion action x good?

did anything change in meta?

is super pershing still op?

Is it just me, or is the Domination profitability shit now? A loss while running my Lorry, 50B and CAX resulted in 20 to 30k in the red. And that was with firing standard ammo. :oscar:

It definitely could be higher. It was obviously lowered since its last iteration; imho credits and XP both need a good 20-30% boost. You can still earn 60-70k by playing prems, but that's not really enough to incentivize me to get shit on by T10s all day...

When I'm really tired Ill play my Super Pershing and shoot mostly gold. It's so simple to do well in.

What would you say is/are the easiest tank(s) to play in wot?

m43

m55

t92

cgc

gwe100

arty

:serb:

and not for subhumans :

pz2j, b2 ,oi exp, kv85/m6, t29, is3, vk45b,  e5 :doge: 

Checklist for people new to wot:

1. Install battle assistant
  2. Play only arty 'its better at first, and always'
  3. Print wotlabs wn8 list 'remember to aim high'
  4. Profit :serb:

2 questions- probably answered but I couldn't find it..

1) Do you guys tend to use AFEs? I find that I tend to burn ..rarely in stuff like the AX (my first T10..so..) but I'm always getting ammo racked. Samr thing with my T8 Panther 2 & 88.  So I'm thinking of pulling out the AFE and replacing it with a second repair kit. ( It would obviously be better to learn the skill of "not getting hit", but I'm not there yet).

2) Is armorer skill worth in in high tier tanks? Never bothered before, but I'm finding (in addition to the ammo racks) my gun's get damaged a lot, At T5-7 my tank wasn't really around that much to worry about it. now with T9 and T10 tanks, I seem to be having to play substantially longer games with a damaged gun, I generally go snapshot- BIA on my gunners, then repair, but wondering if armorer would make sense to slot in 3rd.