Rexxie

Quick Questions/Quick Answers

Currently learning how to MT in the T-34 and getting the hang of it, slowly.

Thinking of also going up the ELC AMX line to the Tier X French autoloader. I have not played high-tier autoloaders before.

What is a good tank to learn autoloader gameplay in?

Is there substantial difference between playstyle of medium autoloader e.g. T69/T54E1/Batchat and heavy autoloader e.g. T57 Heavy, aside from mobility/flexing?

Any relevant advice? E.g. that I should properly master medium gameplay FIRST, before I try medium/light autoloaders, etc?

T-34 ROF is epic... I took mine out yesterday again because I figured I would train crew a bit.. oh my. I never clicked with the thing but it's very very decent and just keeps shooting..

ELC AMX is FUN just keep that as a fun tank in itself.

I felt I learned a bit about autoloaders in the AMX 12t but that's a light autoloader and a bit different, the 50 100 I am not comfortable enough to give advice on... it just doesn't click often enough... sure I had some games where everything goes my way but some are just  :(

If I am in a IS-3 and there is a slightly angled e75 150m in front of me should I shoot his cupola or his LFP? Gun is top gun 225 pen

Cupola.

Currently learning how to MT in the T-34 and getting the hang of it, slowly.

Thinking of also going up the ELC AMX line to the Tier X French autoloader. I have not played high-tier autoloaders before.

Is there substantial difference between playstyle of medium autoloader e.g. T69/T54E1/Batchat and heavy autoloader e.g. T57 Heavy, aside from mobility/flexing?

Any relevant advice? E.g. that I should properly master medium gameplay FIRST, before I try medium/light autoloaders, etc?

Check autoloaders on next public test. You will find out if you can use them properly and which ones.

Regarding the German TD Line (WTe100 line);

I'm currently in the toaster, Pz4sc. I feel as though I'm always spotted, most bushes seem too short, and have had a very hard time in it. On the other hand, I am interested in continuing down the line for the Roomba and the T9 and T10. How good is the Nashorn? How good is the St. Emil? Do either of them have similar problems to the Pz4sc? 

I'm currently considering FreeXPing, and not sure whether I should bolt to the St.Emil or just take it slow in the Nashorn and use my FreeXP to start my Soviet tanks with a T-34-85

I have a German TD crew with 2 100% skills and a 3rd on the way (Thanks to my free JagdTiger8.8 and all the events)

Toaster's camo is its view range - 380m. Full camo + binos + 88mm gun = slaying tanks before they spot you. The same with Nashorn. St. Emil is known as the worst TD in line due its huge size, a small amount of ammunition and a paper armor.

I'm using that. And the short 88.

^^

Long one is overkill anyway, and you lose a TON of gun arc.

French line is weird. You'll be playing autoloading scouts from T6-8, the 13 90 being the only one that's actually remotely good. The Lorraine will teach you patience and self control, while the bat chat might be enjoyable. Will it teach you autoloaders well? Probably not as well as the french heavy or american competition will.

French heavy is the most relevant right now after the 50b buff.

For medium autoloaders, play it exactly like a medium with this exception: you need good situational awareness to get the most out of it, do not dump a clip into the side of an enemy just because you have an opportunity, it's a game of chess, who does he have supporting him? Can you reliably cripple this tank without taking much in return? etc. Don't trade single shots, the power of the autoloader is... the autoloader, dumping high alpha into a target with little to no support in a very short period of time to cripple him and win a flank, tactically pick your victims and proceed bully the fuck out of them (for god's sake please don't suicide to kill a unicum as so many shitlords in the bat chat do).

It's about flanking in the meds & French heavies, whilst staying aware to what can hit you and not getting fucked because you wanted to empty your clip. In the 'Murican heavies it's all about exploiting opportunities that your team mates have created for you in their true heavies/flanking. If you're in a light autoloader, just harass shit so he'll weaken his position and your team can easily fuck him.

To get the most out of autoloaders you'll definitely want to be a strong medium/heavy player, but that doesn't stop half the retards who suicide for me in the bat so their team has a better chance of winning... Q__Q

Armor at tier 6 is like armor at every other tier that isn't 9 or 10: it's negated half the matches you play. I would suggest the E8. I haven't played it in a very long time, but I remember it being excellent.

Mobility works whether you're top or bottom tier; armor does not.

Played through the E2 on another account because I wanted to take advantage of the US medium missions but switch to the heavy line for the T29 and up.

The E2 armor is really decent and lets you ignore a lot, especially angled at a corner.  Obviously it will still struggle against tier 8, but even against tier 7 I found it to be fairly effective.  I didn't feel like the mobility was a big hindrance either so I would say personal preference is fine.

Played through the E2 on another account because I wanted to take advantage of the US medium missions but switch to the heavy line for the T29 and up.

The E2 armor is really decent and lets you ignore a lot, especially angled at a corner.  Obviously it will still struggle against tier 8, but even against tier 7 I found it to be fairly effective.  I didn't feel like the mobility was a big hindrance either so I would say personal preference is fine.

I'd tend to agree, with the E8 sneaking ahead for my preference simply because of its late game carry ability when it's not top tier. The E2 just doesn't seem to work as well for the reason of having lower speed and armor that doesn't work in every match.

[French line is weird. You'll be playing autoloading scouts from T6-8, the 13 90 being the only one that's actually remotely good. The Lorraine will teach you patience and self control, while the bat chat might be enjoyable. Will it teach you autoloaders well? Probably not as well as the french heavy or american competition will.

French heavy is the most relevant right now after the 50b buff.

Hi Gashtag, thank you very much for the pointers.

Some follow-up questions, if I may?

1. I've heard the French heavies are rather 'paper' and fragile. Your recommended playstyle for them makes sense. Any more advice on French heavies?

2. I'm not very well acquainted with the higher tiers, do you mind briefly explaining the 50B buff? (I'll also go do some research on my own, but if you could give your sense of it in a nutshell it'd be great!)

Thanks so much!

sdH

Hi Gashtag, thank you very much for the pointers.

Some follow-up questions, if I may?

1. I've heard the French heavies are rather 'paper' and fragile. Your recommended playstyle for them makes sense. Any more advice on French heavies?

2. I'm not very well acquainted with the higher tiers, do you mind briefly explaining the 50B buff? (I'll also go do some research on my own, but if you could give your sense of it in a nutshell it'd be great!)

Thanks so much!

sdH

1. Gash pretty much nailed it, they play like thin mediums, but are larger targets, with better guns, as far as tier 8+ goes. Don't engage anything 1v1 that you can't kill in a clip or run away from easily. playing as a sniper in them is also frequently a good option, but that's not their dedicated role.

2. The 50b buff was in conjunction with the T57 nerf. It was meant to differentiate between the two, creating a distinct niche for each. The aim time and general gun handling of the 50b was buffed to make it better at medium-long range work, while the T57 gun handling was nerfed to make it really only reliable at closer ranges. The T57 was already over performing, so it certainly didn't need any buffs to make up for the nerf, while the 50b was under performing. It distinguishes the 50b as superior at sniping/flanking, and the T57 at close support/brawling.

1. Gain experience, learn to make them work, set your goals high (3k+ dpg/70% wins by assertive play* in T9/10, learn how to achieve them, achieve them consistently.
  2. Shade put it better than I could. 50b now has the OP gun it has always needed. You can flank, annihilate tanks & gtfo (this is the case most of the time from what I've seen) - or bide your time, support, preserve health and then unleash the death hammer later on.

* =  To clarify this means by making definite decision, even if that decision is "okay going to the front line is stupid and I'll die pointlessly, best I support, bide my time and unleash the beast later", not by playing passively and having tanks run into your gun through no sentient action of your own - always think about threats/what's the optimum way for you to deal with them, your motivations for doing well in game, your targets and goals and how you can achieve them in THIS battle. Every single one counts. 

might be a useful resource. :)

Does survival rate directly effect wn8? I get the  indirect effect, when you die you have little to no effect on the end of a battle. On that same note does base cap/defense have any bearing? 

I realize I am a bad player and this may not go with this thread, but I have been following this thread for about a year and most of the time people on this thread are quick to respond and courteous to us less then average players. Thanks for your time

Does survival rate directly effect wn8? I get the  indirect effect, when you die you have little to no effect on the end of a battle. On that same note does base cap/defense have any bearing? 

I realize I am a bad player and this may not go with this thread, but I have been following this thread for about a year and most of the time people on this thread are quick to respond and courteous to us less then average players. Thanks for your time

You're not bad at all, you're above average!

AFAIK survival has no effect on WN8. But since it's based on damage... Surviving to the end game obviously allows you to snatch up more of that tasty damage.

--

I have a question too, was debating this with platmate last night :

Malinovka encounter in a fast tank (Ruskie med) : should I brawl on the hill or try to flank around the south?

WN8, yes. I'm certain there's a direct correlation that could be made between lower WN8 and lower survival rates. However, winning is a different story. Ive been known to literally suicide my tank whenever necessary to secure a win.

Malinovka encounter in a fast tank (Ruskie med) : should I brawl on the hill or try to flank around the south?

Completely lineup/spawn dependent. Did you have a specific situation in mind, or just in general?

Edit: just saw you were asking about encounter, as well. RIP. I don't play encounter, someone else should field this one.

Completely lineup/spawn dependent. Did you have a specific situation in mind, or just in general?

Edit: just saw you were asking about encounter, as well. RIP. I don't play encounter, someone else should field this one.

Assume a standard (ie, class balanced) line-up. That's the situation I ran into anyways. I ended up going hill, and had a good game. The 62A's turret fights quite well on the top of that hill. Platmate was arguing that it was possible to achieve similar results from a quick dash across the far edge of the field, which would then put us in a position to attack the enemy rear.

My opinion is that by the time we get around to flanking the enemy, the hill fight will already have been decided so if the guys going hill cock it up we're done for.

So to refine the question, can you consistently have success by pushing south? It seems risky to me.

Assume a standard (ie, class balanced) line-up. That's the situation I ran into anyways. I ended up going hill, and had a good game. The 62A's turret fights quite well on the top of that hill. Platmate was arguing that it was possible to achieve similar results from a quick dash across the far edge of the field, which would then put us in a position to attack the enemy rear.

My opinion is that by the time we get around to flanking the enemy, the hill fight will already have been decided so if the guys going hill cock it up we're done for.

So to refine the question, can you consistently have success by pushing south? It seems risky to me.

It is risky, but it pays off sometimes. It is best when in a plat, against a team that isn't likely to do that same, with little or no arty (like 2 lower tiers or 1 top tier max). It can be extremely effective, but arty can nuke you out of there fairly easily. Redirecting to defend base is viable if you win it, but not if you leave tanks alive over there. I would classify it as a very advanced player move, and only useful in limited situations. Later tonight, I can link you a replay of myself and DyingDyingDead from BULBA pulling it off in a 62A and an M60, to highlight the kind of situation it's useful in, as well as how much of a knife-edge tactic it is. At any given point during the engagement we had there, one mistake could have gotten us both annihilated. I'll link it later tonight when I'm off work.

Brief question on overmatch... out of curiosity rather than practical function right now (because I'm still tier 5-7)

Any quick list of tanks that are known to be strong but are susceptible to turret roof overmatch? I hear the Obj140 and the IS6, which else should I be careful in when driving, or (heehee) that I should keep in mind that I have an overmatch option when facing them on the red team?

In the interest of the Heavy missions now:

Does damage blocked by armor only include AP/APCR/HEAT rounds? Does HE ever count as "blocked" and, if so, do you get the full potential damage of the HE shell added to your total?  Similarly, if a HE shell with a nominal damage of 500, goes into your upper plate for 50 damage, I am guessing that counts as "0 damage blocked"?

Brief question on overmatch... out of curiosity rather than practical function right now (because I'm still tier 5-7)

Any quick list of tanks that are known to be strong but are susceptible to turret roof overmatch? I hear the Obj140 and the IS6, which else should I be careful in when driving, or (heehee) that I should keep in mind that I have an overmatch option when facing them on the red team?

Tiger 2 and T29/T32