GunnSm0ke

Is it OK to completely skip (free XP) Japanese/Chinese lower tiers?

I've played mostly the US/Russian vehicles to learn this game. I'm trying to get out of the lower tiers and I'm wondering if I'd miss anything by just free Xp'ing past them on the Japanese/Chinese tech trees? The only thing I can think of is not having trained crews.. which I'll think about.

So if you were you were going to skip vehicles, which one would you start at?

Bonus points for what vehicle (Tier X) would you work towards first?

I have yet to really start the Chinese line with regards to both heavies and mediums. The Japanese line for me didn't start getting good until the STA-1, with some seriously shite tanks leading up to it. Also none of tiers 1-7 really play like any of the final three so if I had to do it again I'd be sorely tempted to free xp that line at least until the STA-1

Its always ok to skip the low tiers of a line.

Japanese skip: Tier 2-7 (Fuck the Chi-Ri)

Chinese skip: Tier 2-4 (Awesome tanks from Tier 5 and up, sadly just copies but still awesome) T-34-2 is a skipworthy tank aswell.

Skip all tanks and go straight for STB. Fuck Wargaming for making you grind stuff.

With troll and throw-cash-at-everything mode off:

You can skip tiers 1-4 if you want to because they are dirt cheap and often not in the same class of vehicles like the rest of the branch.

Chi-Nu, Chi-To, Type T-34 and Type 58 are all respectable tanks. They have decent performance and there is no reason to skip them unless you are in a hurry. You can easily train your crews up to 2nd skill on them and earn some credits in the process too.

If you want to spend some free exp tho it is better used to unlock tank modules rather than unlocking the next tank.

Bonus content:

If you want a tank you can use in CW go for the STB. It is the only CW worthy tank in those lines.

We might be getting CW 2.0 soontm so you should probably start grinding a few decent tier 8s. 110 is your safest bet here. It can also be used in stronkholds and team battles.

I think low tiers in any line are not really enjoyable (apart from a few "sealclubbing pro tanks")

So I say yes skip the chinese one until you get tier 5 which is the T34, and the line is pretty good after that (btw if u are going up the medium line then it is suggested to go for the LT line over the MT one)

and btw think twice before you buy the 113 if you ever get there...... not the best use of your coins

The chinese light tanks are worth the grind

Tiers 1-4?

Higher tiers used to be, but I'd say that's questionable nowadays. They have lost their role in team battles and most of the new light tanks are better even in random games.

The tanks themselves aren't that bad compared to their peers, but game play at tiers below 7 is fairly intolerable.  It's not uncommon for half of your allied tanks to barely move from your own cap circle until they die or the game moves in to the clean up phase. 

Don't let crew grinding stop you from skipping tiers 1-4.  The tier 5+ tanks are MUCH better at gaining XP, and if you just want good crews, then grind at tier 5+. That said, the Chinese tier 3 is very good (top gun has good AP and APCR pen), and the tier 4 was pretty fun too.  Neither were as fun as the Type-34 however.  It is a great tank, but doesn't have a gunner, so its not the best place to grind a crew, unless you just need a head start.  I used my T-34 to grind lots of commanders, so not having a gunner isn't the end of the world.  

Burning tens of thousands of XP on skipping low tiers will bite you in the ass at higher tiers. I made the mistake once of using Free XP out of impatience, the result was stock grinding the Leopard PTA from bone stock on up.

The only Chinese/Japanese tank I can think of that actually needs skipping is the Chi-To (went up LT line for Japan). Chi-Ri kicked ass for me, but I did get Ruinberg a lot in it, so... idk. Also, STA-1 stock gun grind is abysmal as it has neither the good turret or decent gun handling of the Pershing, or even gun depression for that matter.

As far as the Chinese are concerned: The Type Chi-Ha is a good tank for T3 due to a good gun. The Chinese Stuart is imo the best T4 light tank (and I say this despite having a fond love for the Luchs). The APCR on the top gun allow you to get damage in any MM. If you like lights, why would you ever skip that tank? T5 is meh. Would consider skipping that one after giving it a chance.

Skip the Japanese lower tiers if you want. Might want to free XP via the Ke-Ho as that is considered a good tank and it would get you a use for the free 100% light crew you got with the Rotsu.
Skip T5 at all cost. The grind to elite is just as long as the grind to the next tank and it sucks when stock.

...Chinese...T5 is meh. Would consider skipping that one after giving it a chance.

My 66% WR over 80 games disagrees.

The tank is jack-of-all-trades with a great pew-pew-pew gun (57mm is the best gun).  DPM, accuracy (0.34!), aim time and pen are all very good.  

It has the armor to prevent most derps from full penning, and also to stop spam canons.  Mobility/speed is good enough to move about the battlefield and flank.  It is a solid tier 5 that fights well in tier 7.  

If you like generalist tanks and all the benefits and flexibility that gives you, this is an outstanding vehicle.

Empty, did you perhaps use the 76mm?  That is actually a pretty common mistake on the ordinary T-34, and the tank is much worse with it.

Regarding the small sample size, I also have 440 games in the Russian T-34, and 65% WR in that.  

The reason why I dislike the Type is simple: I ground the Russian T-34 at the same time and the Chinese tank is literally a worse version of it. Worse gun depression, but no DPM advantage like the Type 58 has over the T-34-85. Gun handling also felt the same.
The 57mm gun is also not really to my liking due to aim time > reload and low alpha. That said the stock gun is even worse (and honestly I don't even know why you would pick low pen + bad gun handling just for the slight increase in alpha. Imo that is just plain stupid.)
--> While the tank isn't bad I just don't see any justification for it to be in the game since it is simply a worse T-34.
(I got 48% in the Chinese T-34, but 64% in the Russian T-34)

Don't get me wrong, I can generally appreciate the subtle differences the Chinese variants of Russian tanks offer: The Type 58's DPM advantage and the IS-2's HEAT.
However the Type has nothing going for it that would make me pick it over the T-34. Therefor it is a meh tank. It isn't bad, but it most certainly isn't good either.

the Type has nothing going for it that would make me pick it over the T-34. Therefor it is a meh tank. It isn't bad, but it most certainly isn't good either.

The OP doesn't have that choice!  To get to the tanks beyond, he can't run the Russian T-34.

You are advocating skipping a fun and powerful tank because the Russian line has a tank that is slightly better?

That makes no sense.  

64% vs 48% can't possibly be explained by a few degrees of gun depression.  My records are great in both, and within 1% of each other.  Heck, the Type is the one with the higher WR for me.  I also did more damage per battle in the Type.  

Also, the tank is a different color, the star emblem is outlined in a different color, and the crew speaks a different language....so aesthetics.  : )

The OP doesn't have that choice!  To get to the tanks beyond, he can't run the Russian T-34.

You are advocating skipping a fun and powerful tank because the Russian line has a tank that is slightly better?

That makes no sense.  

64% vs 48% can't possibly be explained by a few degrees of gun depression.  My records are great in both, and within 1% of each other.  Heck, the Type is the one with the higher WR for me.  I also did more damage per battle in the Type.  

Also, the tank is a different color, the star emblem is outlined in a different color, and the crew speaks a different language....so aesthetics.  : )

I think the Type T-34 is even better, feels less sluggish due to great ground resistance which is essential for a flanker and 57 gun reloads faster too

I can only speak for the Chinese lines but....

Try and grind them all at once, if possible work on the light, medium and heavy tree at about the same pace. They share a shit-ton of modules (engines, guns, radios ect.) which makes thing soo much easier. Starting at Tier 4 or 5 is fine, I kept my Stuart crew to go into my 59-16 and Type T-34 crew to continue down the medium line. Sadly the Stuart has a radioman instead of  loader so a new crew member will need to be recruited if you continue the light line. 

Later on (past early tiers) most of the tanks are decent, with the exception of the 59-16 which has questionable firepower on a good platform and I haven't yet had the opportunity to play the T-34-2. 

Ah yes, the one tank not to play for China is the T-34-2, go up LTs for the WZ-120 and make sure you research the 113 on the heavy line before starting the WZ-120 grind, or at least going past the point where if you had the top gun you could have mounted it (I think you need the turret, and probably tracks too before that...)

I think the Type T-34 is even better, feels less sluggish due to great ground resistance which is essential for a flanker and 57 gun reloads faster too

I just pulled up tank inspector:

They have identical reload and terrain resistance except on bad ground, where the Type has a small edge.  

The type also has a small edge in movement dispersion. 

I'm glad to see that the T-34 isn't strictly better, but the gun depresion is certainly more valuable than those two small Type advantages.

Just do x2 all low tiers will pass in no time, I won't waste free exp here. Not even retrain crew, no one look at your low tier score anyway :-)

The reason why I dislike the Type is simple: I ground the Russian T-34 at the same time and the Chinese tank is literally a worse version of it. Worse gun depression, but no DPM advantage like the Type 58 has over the T-34-85. Gun handling also felt the same.

The 57mm gun is also not really to my liking due to aim time > reload and low alpha. That said the stock gun is even worse (and honestly I don't even know why you would pick low pen + bad gun handling just for the slight increase in alpha. Imo that is just plain stupid.)

--> While the tank isn't bad I just don't see any justification for it to be in the game since it is simply a worse T-34.

(I got 48% in the Chinese T-34, but 64% in the Russian T-34)

Don't get me wrong, I can generally appreciate the subtle differences the Chinese variants of Russian tanks offer: The Type 58's DPM advantage and the IS-2's HEAT.

However the Type has nothing going for it that would make me pick it over the T-34. Therefor it is a meh tank. It isn't bad, but it most certainly isn't good either.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the type-T-34 actually has a slight increase in DPM vs the T-34

I suggest free exp until t5 where you can actually start working with some viable teammates--> fighting 1vs29 is always hard

Don't skip the Chinese Chi-Ha at Tier 3.  Drive it, pen Tier 5 heavies from all directions in a light tank, laugh at the rage.