zapyoug

advantages of running vanilla?

since 9.7 dropped, Ive been playing the game full vanilla and Ive been doing alot better than previously (Ive been using circons modpack for the most part recently)

As it is, I feel like my dmg dealt counter (paired with session stats) was limiting me as I was only trying for a specific amount of damage and not really any higher

any thoughts on this?

I feel the same way playing vanilla, I tend to not focus on a specific damage number for the tank i'm playing and results are way better. Also, all the colors and other stuff mods add get me distracted. Now with the new minimap features vanilla masterrace.

For the longest time I've run vanilla (except crosshair). You don't pay attention to others' overall so you aren't playing on a basis of expectations.

The main advantage is that it makes you do everything yourself. You do things actively and then intuitively rather than the mod doing it for you.

The only reason I have xvm enabled though at the moment is that if I don't I get annoying hyphens (i.e. player name -- -- --).

Im figuring Ill probably put in the enhanced minimap mod and maybe a crosshair set to stop my sever reticule from fucking me up so much

and then leave the various rainbows and numbers alone

Depends what mods we're talking about here and how well you use the info provided by them.

Unless you're running some very lousy mods that make it harder to play or process information, then there really aren't many objective advantages to running vanilla. The only real advantages to running vanilla is if you compete in gold league or if you don't want to bother with keeping them up to date.

If a mod bothers you for idiosyncratic reasons then get rid of it, simple as that; it's not evidence for vanilla being some sort of minimalist nirvana that'll make you focus better.

In general, if a mod doesn't bother you and it provides useful information than it's better than vanilla, even if the advantage is slight. E.g. it's hard to argue that having a view range circle and a render square via a minimap mod isn't strictly better than vanilla. The zoom in mod thins bushes which is kind of a big deal.

Of course, if you want to be a cool, chest-thumping hardcore tanker than go vanilla.

No XVM and no dmg counter means less stress to perform and less anger from shit teams before the battle even starts.

Literally the ENTIRE reason I'm running vanilla.  I really like it actually.  Now it is definitely taking some getting used to as my wn8 is suffering but it's no big deal really.  As long as I'm winning I'm good

When I first installed mods, I swear my recent wn8 jumped up 400 points. I almost worry that I rely on my mods too much. Without XVM, OTM, extra zoom, no scroll, sela-aim, spotted tanks, and white death, I'd be a little lost.

I like to have the damage counter and the minimap view / render range lines... I think QB's modpack also has a bit of extra zoom in/out but playing without modpacks doesn't really hurt much... I have XVM disabled / not logged in because I stopped wanting to know. But I am just an average player, barely green.

All mods are unnecessary, but there's no question that certain mods will simply make you play better. Of the mods that I can think of:

• GambitER's damage panel. Know what shot you, with what type of ammo, and exactly the amount of damage that they hit you for. Without this mod, you would need to rely on module damage to tell you who hit you, assuming they were unspotted.
  • Locastan's map mod or XVM's minimap give you a bonus because they display your render range and view range.
  • I think the OTM reload mod is legal, right? I'm pretty sure. Anyway, that gives you a pretty blatant advantage. If an enemy takes a shot and you don't notice, you can just look above their tank and see that they're on their reload.
  • XVM has the spotted indicators on the player panel. This is one of the most useful features of any mod for this game. Not sure if you should push a flank or not? Just take a look to see how many of their tanks have been spotted, and judge based on that. It doesn't give you any real advantage over last-seen markers on the minimap, but it is much more easier to understand at a glance.

If you don't want to use mods, more power to you. I just don't understand why you wouldn't use every advantage available to you, provided that it's legal.

Advantage of running vanilla:

1. Not being spoonfed information makes you a better player

mfw literally there is no good reason to run mods except to know if an enemy is one shottable or not. And if you go full yolo because you thought you could take him on as he's one shottable and you get ammo racked then GG.

Literally 7 minutes to blind fire and take a less dangerous approach but you know yolo because they want the game over asap?

Usually I keep dropping more and more mods with every patch, thinking of getting rid of Jimbos this time, it seems like it's mostly just for looks and hurts my fps.

Usually I keep dropping more and more mods with every patch, thinking of getting rid of Jimbos this time, it seems like it's mostly just for looks and hurts my fps.

I haven't used a cross hair mod since they added the 'aimpoint' options and reload timer to vanilla.

I think my experiment with XVM is coming to an end. I find I'd just rather not know how bad my teammates really are before I actually play the game. Seeing it at the start just pisses me off.