Platypusbill

Contrary to my suspicions, SP armour got buffed

I noticed 9.8 supertest changes can now be seen on gamemodels3d, so I took a look at what would be more or less the final version of the Super Pershing.

Now, before anyone who read my starts shouting "told you, should have waited for the final version you paranoid shitlord", I'd like to point out that based on the model originally scheduled for release in 9.7 the SP was indeed going to get nerfed. The two spaced armour plates being modeled separately meant the 2x overmatch mechanic was going to be applied twice on the section where they overlapped and all angles got nerfed. I was pretty sure they had overdone the angle changes (on the current supertest model, certain angles actually got buffed while others were nerfed), but if nothing was going to fundamentally change, it would still become weaker.

Then this image was posted on Rita's blog.

do2xc7.jpg

I was skeptical because a buff was simply impossible if the model that was available to me back then was an indication, and all numbers are massively off (they do not seem to factor in normalisation at all), but I did consider the possibility that WG had completely fucked up the model previously and the second layer of spaced armour was supposed to cover the entire hull.

Do the math, all of the numbers for the current model are greatly exaggarated and the armour is pretty much guaranteed to be worse off than before due to previously stated reasons.

Unless there's some drastic change such as the inner spaced plate stretching all the way up.

This is precisely what was done on the most recent change.

4aeltym.png

The effect of this is that the lower and upper edges of the hull became stronger as they previously had only one spaced armour plate covering them instead of two. Also, the flat section between the crew hatches got thickened from 101.6mm to 139.6mm. The one thing that did not change compared to my prior evaluation is that the lower UFP actually got a bit weaker.

Haven't really looked at the changes to the turret and such, I was mainly concerned about the front hull.

Calculating the armour of the SP is very complicated as you have to calculate up to three plates separately and also figure out the increased normalisation for the spaced plates. Because of this and me recently discovering the use of Excel to perform calcluations, I set up a spreadsheet that compares the effective armour of the two versions.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/pm9w5g91brx0ac8/SP_Armour_Calculator.xlsx

^Updated on May 9th because of a small mistake.

UFBUfS1.png

Results change according to the variables under the red headlines.

Shooting the hull is easier than going for turret weakspots, provided that you have sufficient pen. But now most of the hull is substantially stronger, so after the patch I wouldn't try it with anything other than large-calibre AP with high pen (think 12.8cm L/55).

Never shot the SP in the hull anyways... it has a shit turret.

Which is all well and good, but keep in mind what an average match is comprised of.  Pubbies will shoot at whatever.  

Also, the upper UFP being buffed is nice defense against mid to long range opponents.  They can aim for your turret but if the shot doesn't hit center it'll either fly high, and miss, or drop low and hit a higher armour value than it would have previously

*Excitement intensifies*

EDIT - Can you also report on the changes to the Pershing's armor?

UFP angle got nerfed a bit (51->48), cupola was made weaker (slope from 60+ to ~45, 0 armour vision slits added), the ridge at the top of the front hull buffed from 76.2 to 139.6mm. Nothing significant I'm noticing.

Never shot the SP in the hull anyways... it has a shit turret.

I never shoot SP's there...  I always shoot the hatch..

First of all, that's retarded, because a lot of the time the easiest place to shoot an SP is in the "tab" at the top of the UFP. Shooting the top of the turret is only beneficial when it's the most convenient place to shoot.

Secondly, the point isn't that you will suddenly start bouncing it. The point is that all of the orange shitters in Tiger IIs and IS-3s who penned its UFP because they have 225 pen, will suddenly not be able to pen it there anymore. Not with any regularity anyway.

First of all, that's retarded, because a lot of the time the easiest place to shoot an SP is in the "tab" at the top of the UFP. Shooting the top of the turret is only beneficial when it's the most convenient place to shoot.

Cough, cough... tough to hit that 'tab' at the top of the UFP in a Chinese WZ-111 at close range, if the Super Pershing driver in question moving around a lot.  Then there's the problem is which ammunition type to select for a WZ-111 driver; an AP shell hitting that 'tab' would require a high RNG roll to penetrate; an HEAT shell risks hitting angled spaced armor (bad!).    

Turret roof weak spots and the Turret rotator cuff spot can be a pain to hit, if the Super Pershing driver is bobbing and weaving forward, backwards & slightly side to side, for vehicle's with relatively high aim times (e.g. Soviet heavies, Chinese heavies et la)

In retrospect, wish my 'team battle caller' did not decide to use my WZ-111 like an IS-3 on a city map... versus Mort's own Super Pershing in a team battle... bad positioning screwed my WZ-111 and allowed Mort's Super Pershing to pawn it.   Problem? AP, HEAT shells bounced 7 out of 8 times... a great result if one's a Super Pershing fan.    On a positive note, I learned from this experience.

I'm not saying that the tab is always the right place to shoot at. Sometimes you're much better off shooting the turret roof. But still, saying that you only shoot the turret roof is just indicative of ignorance.

Am I the only one whose inner pessimist doesn't trust WG further than I can throw them?  The SP used to have ultra-UFP armor...and much crappier mobility.  If they buff the UFP back to loltacular levels, I can easily see WG two patches later putting out notes to make us salty: nerf to terrain resistance, nerf to accuracy, doubled APCR costs, increased weight, reduced traverse speed or turret traverse...the possibilities are endless.

Then again, perhaps I shouldn't look the ol' gift horse in the mouth.

Im willing to trust that they'll make it pretty powerful, but then remove it from the prem shop before it really can make an impact.

Not that I think the buffed spershing will really trump things like the IS-6, but... it's a cheap prem, Im sure WG doesn't want it to be that good.

Im willing to trust that they'll make it pretty powerful, but then remove it from the prem shop before it really can make an impact.

Not that I think the buffed spershing will really trump things like the IS-6, but... it's a cheap prem, Im sure WG doesn't want it to be that good.

With the current SP armor, I will 1v1 an IS-6 almost every single time.

I meant in general, not 1v1s XD

Well yeah, for an average pubbie in an average battle, the IS-6 will do better for them.

Get someone in a SP who doesn't just sit still in the open and uses depression to abuse terrain... RIP IS-6. RIP pubbies.

I saw the other day that AW is not going to award damage for hitting "pretty stuff" on tanks.  Some of the "weak spots" in WOT are pretty stupid, you know?

Super Pershing right now definitely needs the buff. It's insane how easy it is for absolutely everyone to damage it.

I currently have an armor use efficiency of 0.76 on the Super Pershing. This buff is gonna make it even more lulzy.

This is what is crazy -- they say, "removing all preferred MM from the shop," but then next news release they are buffing a preferred MM tank?

Same thing happening with Pz IV S -- being removed, but its model is being converted to HD --- why invest resources into something that will be removed?