Solono

Anime Thread 3.0: Same Old, Same Old

I wouldn't be talking about salt if I were you.

right cuz i'm the one coming in saying everything's shit all the time

Anime will not go on forever selling blurays to the same small number of otaku every season, to paraphrase the guy from Bones. Funding and profits are both thin.

I mean, like it or not, but you can't deny the popularity of Eva - and Gainax was, if I recall, in debt for a very, very long time because of that project. It took them forever to pay it back. If a project is that popular, and the actual profits are that slim, what does that likely tell you about everything else? There's a reason why big studios pick up what are often mediocre/bad adaptations, it's a safe way to generate money for their actual projects because those projects apparently can't stand on their own financially from start to finish, even for some studios with a lot of history. (Gainax with Medaka Box and its other adapatations, Trigger with Inou Battle)

When a single misstep can make or break your project because the budget and profit margin is so thin, and this is the standard, there's a problem. It's why nobody takes risks any more and we have the same things that are known to 'work' being cloned over and over. There's simply no room for risk most of the time.

Just look at PreCure. As much as I love the shows, it's literally 11+ seasons and as many movies of the same setup, progression, story and characters, and its popularity has been decreasing over time because you can only sell what is essentially the same thing so many times before people get sick of it. This is anime in a nutshell, though slightly less accelerated than PreCure because PreCure shows are about as close to copy pasta as you can get.

Even the anime with a broader spectrum are still limited. Anime is more international than it used to be but I don't think it's gotten to the point of being mainstream outside of Japan in a way that's helpful. Yea, people seem to generally 'know what anime is', but that doesn't mean sales or even interest, it's just that the proliferation of it in our age has gotten to the point where more people are exposed to it, like it or not.

you're just saying profits are thin. Sure, fine. But then, you're just inferring quality is dropping, which it certainly isn't. Animation quality aside (cuz that's not even close), we now have Shinkai movies, which are better imo than Miyazaki movies (Miyazaki's soooo overhyped). We have PA Works making amazing shows like Little Busters and Hanasaku Iroha. We have Madhouse making No Game No Life and Death Parade. 

Like honestly, Eva's only as popular as it is because there's like nothing to compete with back then. I understand you like older anime better, but I'm pretty sure part of that is because you watched it when you were younger and hence have fonder memories of it. Having started watching 5ish series a season since 2004, I can't say I've noticed a decrease in quality. Some seasons are worse than others, but there's generally a few gems every season.

* snips*

Ditto. 

It's not really dying, per se, but the blu-ray purchase system is not sustainable.  And while I don't agree with Solono's doomsaying of a catastrophic collapse, unless something changes, we might be seeing production scale down to pre-90s levels before the generation portrayed in Euphonium (aka those born 2000 an on) reaches adulthood. 

For those who don't remember that time (or weren't even born yet), we would be lucky to have ten to twelve shows made per year.

Kraft: An upsurge in shows featuring quality animation doesn't negate the truth of how precarious the industry's situation is in right now.

precarious situation != decrease in quality.

Not really aimed at you Teru, but it's honestly rather frustrating when older generation people come around going "ohhhh anime was so much better in my time!" "ohh these new shows are terrible, i love my old shows." 

Yeah, ok, we get it. I'm sure CR/D was better in 2011 as well.

Actually, I can just do this

Alright, folks. Henceforth the only proper greeting for Solono in any kind of thread is the Yozakura Quartett - Town Song

this one

tsun tsun dere tsun dere Solono

He likes to be here if its for the people or the animu ... who could tell? But the amount of time he spends here is obviously far beyond his moderation duties.

As long as he can't bring himself to admit that. Other that RO'ing cheesy, refusing to contribute whatsoever, calling Kraft a whatever and being salty in gerneral there isn't much else he does here.

Since I'm pretty sure he's just a little stuck up and needs to find the heart to hate himself enough to watch animu again, lets help him out a bit.

HisokaGrin2.jpg

Not really aimed at you Teru, but it's honestly rather frustrating when older generation people come around going "ohhhh anime was so much better in my time!" "ohh these new shows are terrible, i love my old shows." 

No offense taken.  In fact, quite a lot of those shows in those years were terrible too.  However, my point was that there were far far more fewer shows to go around back then, primarily due to the lack of funding.

Compared to now, where studios are awash in funding... Which means a whole lot of shows, true, but even higher chances of stinkers per season.  For every K-On, Madoka Magica, Sword Art Online or Monogatari series (meaning the sales juggernauts), there's a Fantasista Doll or Girlfriend (kari).  And the experimental work -- see Toei's recent Kyosougiga, which was excellent and awash in creativity, NEVER sell, and usually just nuke a studio's finances. 

Problem is that the way productions right now are funded isn't sustainable.  There's only so much you can repeatedly fleece from a limited population (otaku rarely procreate XD) who now has even less disposable income than before.

precarious situation != decrease in quality.

Yeah, ok, we get it. I'm sure CR/D was better in 2011 as well.

Did I actually say this in my argument? I used a popular classic show as an example of one that had a financial problems, which if anything should tell you that the industry has been in trouble since before the present era. I don't even like Eva.

Older anime is not better, it's just different. There was a lot of shit back then too that people went through the trouble of hand painting the cels for, you know.

Ideas were new back then. They aren't now. You see this in a lot of industry but none so pronounced as anime, IMO. Look at Gundam. It's literally been retelling the same story for like, 30 years now? How many of the same harem stories have we sat through since Urusei Yatsura and Tenchi? We're currently sitting through repeats of SoL and CGDCT (and Gundam still, lol).

The point being made isn't that quality has necessarily declined and that there's nothing good being made now, it's that originality and the ability to take creative risks has been diminished because in the end, the anime industry is a business and it's here to make money.

Does anyone have numbers for how Space Dandy did, since it was supposed to be an attempt to break out of the mold and reach an international audience?

Toei's recent Kyosougiga, which was excellent and awash in creativity, NEVER sell, and usually just nuke a studio's finances.

I wonder how Xam'd did as a Bones original project. I imagine it probably sold less than a generic harem show that aired in the same year.

Does anyone have numbers for how Space Dandy did, since it was supposed to be an attempt to break out of the mold and reach an international audience?

Quite poorly, if I recall.  I think someone compiled the sales figures (check the Animesuki Blu-Ray DVD sales thread), but it didn't even break through the so-called "Manabi Line".  It was a critical success abroad (Western audiences loved it, and it proved that streaming series internationally wasn't as scary as Japanese producers thought), but in the measure that was important locally (unit sales), it failed epicly.

Kay guys. New anime thread project is to find a modern anime for solono to watch

Kay guys. New anime thread project is to find a modern anime for solono to watch

Been trying to get him to do that for a while. He just stonewalls you regardless (Space Dandy was my suggestion, for reference), and won't even touch movies.

Heck, he wouldn't even touch many of the classics of the old Noitamina era, which featured excellent off-the-vein or nonstandard series like Kaiba, Mononoke, Trapeze, or (a recent example!) Ping-Pong.

Voting for Ore Monogatari or Nozaki kun, seriously if these shows can't save someone nothing can....

Quite poorly, if I recall.  I think someone compiled the sales figures (check the Animesuki Blu-Ray DVD sales thread), but it didn't even break through the so-called "Manabi Line".  It was a critical success abroad (Western audiences loved it), but in the measure that was important locally (unit sales), it failed epicly.

That's unfortunate. And we all know how international sales don't seem to mean anything to the industry at this point ;o)

With the internet and spread of anime I'd have expected more international purchasing power and influence at this point, unless it's there, and they just don't care (seems a likely scenario).

It's not impossible to get me to watch an anime, you just have to give me reason that appeals to me since I could never watch an anime again and be perfectly content with that.

With the internet and spread of anime I'd have expected more international purchasing power and influence at this point, unless it's there, and they just don't care (seems a likely scenario).

If you believe Yuyucow (and you should), international streaming rights doesn't even account for 3% of anime production revenue, and while it's changing minds now it just seems a case of too-little-too-late.

It's not impossible to get me to watch an anime, you just have to give me reason that appeals to me since I could never watch an anime again and be perfectly content with that.

So how about a heart-warming story that doesn't offend your intellect in any way and will just make you feel good about life in general?

So how about a heart-warming story that doesn't offend your intellect in any way and will just make you feel good about life in general?

That'd make me mad, no thanks.

If you believe Yuyucow (and you should), international streaming rights doesn't even account for 3% of anime production revenue, and while it's changing minds now it just seems a case of too-little-too-late.

I can believe that.

For a media that's always struggled internationally it's not surprising that $treams don't account for much.

That'd just bore me.

How about wonky shit happening and a story falling into place piece by piece while you try not to get thrown out of the cart on a roller coaster ride?

Depends, how many people explode?Does it have a sad or horrifying ending? Is the main character a cannibal?

Didn't count. No spoilers. Nope.

I don't give a damn about spoilers, they don't affect anything for me.

Solono, is Mirai Nikki your favorite anime or something? >_>"

Oh btw I found this gem today and couldn't stop laughing

I so hope that it's a dude and not a chick....

Not safe for sanity

I heard you like Hestia Cosplay

6xS9ufq.jpg