Solono

Anime Thread 3.0: Same Old, Same Old

I enjoy the yuribait, I mean you guys know that they won't fuck right.

you don't know what happens to the characters between episodes :^)

kumiko is just shy on camera

I enjoy the yuribait, I mean you guys know that they won't fuck right.

The point is wankbait, literally. It's moronic and disgraceful.

Was there ever a point where yuri/yaoi actually had something meaningful to say about same-gender relationships in their society, or has it always been wankbait? In all the time I've known it, I've yet to see a pairing for either of those that went beyond giving the fans something to fap over.

The closest thing I can think of is the relationship in Genshiken Nidaime, which was mildly interesting but not surprising given what the essence of the show is.

Any regulars here who haven't watched Genshiken yet should be ashamed.

Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a Dungeon/Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka

Anyone watch/read this?

@Majsteven

Watch, yep. I find it easy to watch, quite entertaining (hestia's bestia's ftw) but its nothing amazing. I haven't seen sword art online, don't like the concept of it (goggles attached to your head, take them off and you die? okay.jpg) so can't comment on the comparisons people make between the two.

My Chrome's new tab page is relevant:

e89a484dfed8cfb501920e403e97ff17.png

Doujins should be more than enough for wankbait, just don't mess with the story and logic. C88 soon!

Again, anime isn't exactly the right place to go to for meaningful dialogue on the issue about same-sex relationships, platonic, romantic, or otherwise.  Seriously, this is Japan; it has trouble enough with gender equality issues the Western world more or less hammered out thirty year ago, much more transgender sensitivity and LGBT issues.  Teasing is the best many watchers can hope for at this point, so when it's done really well (like in Euphonium, egads), it's hard not to be appreciative about it.

Of course it's done to draw attention to the show and generate sales -- to ignore the fact that the studio is selling a product is utter foolishness.  However it's still possible to enjoy what's being shown in spite of it being an obvious vehicle to get people to buy BR units. ;)

And as mentioned, in Euphonium, every scene where Kumiko and Rena interact is just composed so beautifully (body language, camera angles, framing, lighting) that I can forgive KyoAni a bit for trying to tempt me to buy their expensive Blu-Rays.  In episode 11 for example, there's this moment where Reina was in shadow for a bit -- and then that moment where Kumiko returns her own lines to her, it being a "confession of love", the shadows are dispersed, and you can really see Reina's insecurities vanish at the same time.

re Danmachi: Hestia's bestias indeed.  I feel that Hestia carries the show, otherwise it'd be just another vanilla LN adaptation of a fantasy story about an overpowered harem lead.

Of course it's done to draw attention to the show and generate sales -- to ignore the fact that the studio is selling a product is utter foolishness.  However it's still possible to enjoy what's being shown in spite of it being an obvious vehicle to get people to buy BR units. ;)

There is more than one way to sell a horse, they just choose to shoot it and sell the meat because it's the easiest, most brainless way to do it. 

Oh, they could very well sell the series on its character interactions alone, but what's being done so far does add a bit of spice to a tried-and-true formula, that wouldn't be too out of place in many an American sports movie actually.  Plus it's not like Kumiko and Reina's interactions didn't get, ahem, heated in the source material either.  And I quote:

uIZimGa.jpg

Egads.

Oh, they could very well sell the series on its character interactions alone

They could, but that'd require talent.

There is more than one way to sell a horse, they just choose to shoot it and sell the meat because it's the easiest, most brainless way to do it. 

Well, it makes money in the end, doesn't matter to them. 

Also can't really fault them if it's in the source material to begin with.  :)

i thought it wasn't?

Why did i decide to try watching some anime based off altorax`s mal and then end up not studying for finals while marathoning pyscho pass and Steins;Gate in 2 days.

Fuck.

Onto Samurai Champloo, rip socials exam marks.

Have to agree on this one. And for long time now it felt like they're treating the male audience like some pack of hornballs filled with raging hormones.

Well, not entirely wrong but would be better doing it with some grace

Have to agree on this one. And for long time now it felt like they're treating the male audience like some pack of hornballs filled with raging hormones.

Well, not entirely wrong but would be better doing it with some grace

Self-respect and grace are two things neither the consumers or producers are in any meaningful possession of.

Self-respect and grace are two things neither the consumers or producers are in any meaningful possession of.

In a way.

At times I felt doesn't care much and succumb to the primitive thoughts, but the higher functions always cringes while at it.

Its like we're talking about rap music

any interest anime chibi?

cute tiny anime/shorter anime than original one.

Chibis are my favorite kind of cute art :>

Kimmymanga has some really good ones

Cardcaptor Sakura & an original

4ERvxHW.jpg

ZZtKch8.png

i thought it wasn't?

Kumiko and Reina's relationship has always been charged in the books, however what IS different is the amount of focus given to it.  Shuichi isn't pushed to the side unlike in the anime for example, and is actually the person Kumiko interacts with regularly, with Reina coming really into the spotlight once the band starts practicing for the Nationals.  It's only then that the two of them start to converse on a meaningful level, and every time this happens, it's loaded with subtext to the rafters.

KyoAni is just taking advantage of what's already there, and cranking thing up the presentation up the wazoo.  As a marketing ploy, it's pretty obvious, but it's a very PRETTY and effective marketing ploy that I can appreciate.

Personally, I think the KumiRei thing was pushed a teensy bit too much (pretty as it may be), but the show does so many other things right that I'm happy to let it slide.

tbh all romance is wankbait