Sign in to follow this  
Never

Terms of Service Update (05/04/2015)

Bet you never thought you'd see this here huh. Just letting you guys know that we have updated the Terms of Service.

The following line has been added:

User accounts, posts and threads will not be removed by the moderation team at the request of the user who created them, unless the post violates this ToS, the forum rules, or is considered to be made by accident (such as double posts).

If you have any questions or need any clarification, feel free to leave a post here!

Cheers!

Just so you know, you are required to delete (or provide and automated way of doing so) accounts and any associated data on user request by law in the European Union, without any explanation from the user, as long as the service provided is available from any country in the European Union.

I'm guessing nobody around here would make a big deal out of that, but I thought you might want to know.

Just so you know, you are required to delete (or provide and automated way of doing so) accounts and any associated data on user request by law in the European Union, without any explanation from the user, as long as the service provided is available from any country in the European Union.

Servers do not reside in Europe, thus are not beholden to EU law.

At least that is my understanding of it in this instance.

Better question: where the hell is the ToS page?

It's in the registration page and should be in the forum footer, not sure why it's not showing up. Brb.

Servers do not reside in Europe, thus are not beholden to EU law.

At least that is my understanding of it in this instance.

As I understand, it doesn't matter where the servers are, what matters is where the service is available from. It's the same category by which you can't watch Netflix from EU, despite servers being in the US (only in this case it's EU copyright laws instead of privacy laws).

I'm guessing nobody around here would make a big deal out of that, but I thought you might want to know.

Servers aren't in EU

Neverwish isn't in EU

EU law means jack shit to him, he doesn't have to comply with EU law because there's a few EU residents. They are free to not utilize a service if they do not agree to the ToS, even if that means the ToS breaks EU law. Either way, I think the European Union has something better to do than spend their time going after forums about tanks.

As I understand, it doesn't matter where the servers are, what matters is where the service is available from. It's the same category by which you can't watch Netflix from EU, despite servers being in the US (only in this case it's EU copyright laws instead of privacy laws).

Yes it does. If you voluntarily sign up to a North American website their laws apply to you. If anyone doesn't like it they simply don't have to register.  Wotlabs isn't a company, it doesn't have assets/servers/etc. in the EU, there is literally NOTHING the EU can do.

@koel76, It's not that I have any problem with that, I wouldn't be here if I didn't like it. I just don't want the site owners to get into any unnecessary trouble.

@koel76, It's not that I have any problem with that, I wouldn't be here if I didn't like it. I just don't want the site owners to get into any unnecessary trouble.

Neverwish is in the US, owner of a small forum board about an online game. Just for the sake of it, let us say Neverwish was breaking a bunch of EU laws but not any laws of his own country or the country the servers reside in. 

Do you really think the EU would pursue him? Even if they could (which they can't) why would they waste their time on one guy with a forum where about <500 active people are from the EU (being generous here, probably much less)?

As I understand the law and its enforcement, EU countries could theoretically block access to WoTLabs for EU citizens because it does not comply with EU laws, but since there is no money involved it's never going to happen. No legal consequences for Never either (duh).

As I understand the law and its enforcement, EU countries could theoretically block access to WoTLabs for EU citizens because it does not comply with EU laws, but since there is no money involved it's never going to happen. No legal consequences for Never either (duh).

Edit: I included politics must stop this before I go into my long rant.

what problem does this solve?

I've seen it happen on many other forums, someone with thousands of posts decides to rage quit and wants all his posts deleted, breaking thousands of discussions along the forum. Delete tantrums are a very fast way of destroying a community.