Ezz

Poll 2 - illegal mods and cheating

Cheating, illegal mods etc.  

86 members have voted

1. 1. On the whole (CW, IMs, pubs) do you feel the conduct of players has improved in the last year?

• Yes, people are playing more in the spirit
    • No, there are more examples of playing against the spirit
    • About the same
  2. 2. Do you feel WG should do more to combat obvious breaches of 'spirit of the game'?

• Yes, they should do more
    • No, what they are doing is fine
    • No, they should do less
  3. 3. Do you feel more people are using cheat mods compared to a year ago?

• Yes, there are more cheats now
    • No, there are fewer cheats
    • About the same

It's very hard to detect cheating when you're actually playing the game because you're obviously concentrating on playing the game. As you say, you suspect it when something unusual happens, but you invariably put it down to RNG rather than put your tinfoil hat on.

However it's easy to detect aimbot use by watching other people's replays (or your own with a free cam mod), and a random selection of mid-tier replays from wotreplays.org will show that these mods are unfortunately relatively common.

Can you still beat these folks if you're actually good at the game? Yes, of course you can, but that's not the point.

As you, say, perhaps. Would I feel better about the game if people were punished for cheating? Absolutely yes.

I don't think WG is actually the type too simply ban people for it. if they where too do anything they would just make x information unable too be obtainable by a script. It would be alot easier imho, and alot more effective or at least for a while. 

I think rigging stuff is alot more toxic and personally makes me not want too spend money or simply go too another game. 

Now things like rigging and fame farming, hasn't been prolific afaik on the na server, i was in the last campaign and bagged myself a 907. I am a truly average player(don't let my recents fool you) and my clan was about the same. If NA farmed fame like the SEA server base did, i doubt i would have gotten the tank.

just to make it clear,  there were maybe 5-8 clans working together to farm fame, all from the same counrty,  not the whole player base,  I got the tank, and I certainly did not farm fame, or want to be associated with the whole fiasco.

One thing that is an issue with Warpack etc is that unless there is a reasonably study done on it, nobody really knows how well it can improve (even possibly worsen) performance. We can guess based on game knowledge but they are still guesses.

The problem then arises of how does one test this without being banned and/or feeling bad for cheating. There isn't a useful test server where this stuff could be worked out and there isn't likely to be one any time soon.

What bothers me is that while WG has horrible illegal mod detection, there's still possibly such a thing. Means I can't try the mods myself to try if they're really as hax as they are.

Also, defoliant + white corpses > automodule aim at brawls, but the inverse at potshots. I'm amazed at how VPA can consistently hit moving MT at tracks > ammorack > turret ring

Because lasers are an extension of the tank model, you can't see the lasers unless the tank aiming at you is on your screen (its not possible to change this, its a limitation of Frustum Culling). In that regard, any great player would usually already see you, and so they aren't incredibly useful except possibly for things like tanks on the other side of shell destructible objects. Things like broken object detectors can't be fixed because the game would have to hide the fact that an object has been broken until you have a line of sight on it, which would be too much server side calculation to be worth it.

A lot of good players that I platoon with have mentioned having mods that give great advantages to situational awareness. Things like calling out what tanks are hitting them when they aren't spotted (on NA server), knowing when tanks are facing away from them without seeing the tank, pointing out broken objects, reload timers, etc. Though nobody I've platooned with has claimed to be using any type of task helper (aimbot... etc), except possibly auto fire extinguisher on the manual version.

It really wouldn't surprise me if a majority of the better players (top 2 percent) in the game (who don't stream) use at least one situational awareness mod that is considered illegal.

I'd classify things like reload timers similar. Players can judge this themselves, the mod simply helps.

I can't agree with this one.  Sure it's not hard to count reload for one tank, but suppose you're in a big scrum of 4-5+ tanks all of which fire at different times.  I don't believe that anyone could legitimately track all those reload times without an aid.  

I can't agree with this one.  Sure it's not hard to count reload for one tank, but suppose you're in a big scrum of 4-5+ tanks all of which fire at different times.  I don't believe that anyone could legitimately track all those reload times without an aid.  

To be clear, i'm not saying i think mods of this type should necessarily be allowed, but i'm saying that in theory if you are totally switched on, you can get a pretty good idea in most situations. A 4 / 5 tank brawl, yeah, no clue personally. I think i can get a pretty good feel for 2 or 3 in a fairly linear battle but beyond that, you'd need to be really really good. Not saying people can't do it, but just saying that i guess it's possible. To have a mod do it for you seems beyond 'fair'.

In that regard, any great player would usually already see you, and so they aren't incredibly useful 

And for the not so great player?

A cheat mod to me isn't only those that a good player may use. And of course i'm not casting aspersions on the genuine goods. The point is that these mods do exist, and many would clearly love to see WG doing more to combat them.

I took the wording to mean things like last known position and range circles which DO increase my sit aware, but to the best of my knowledge are NOT illegal.

And for the not so great player?

A cheat mod to me isn't only those that a good player may use. And of course i'm not casting aspersions on the genuine goods. The point is that these mods do exist, and many would clearly love to see WG doing more to combat them.

While I agree with your point, the simple fact is that a bad or ok player with more situational awareness is not nearly as dangerous as a very skilled player with the same extra data. War Gaming as already provided every player with the ultimate situational awareness tool called the minimap, and so many poor players fail to utilize it.

The truly dangerous mods are the ones that make the super unicum even better.

Its always funny to watch a group of players look into a forest, and as soon as a tree falls over in the background, only the better player's turrets immediatly look towards it.

While I agree with your point, the simple fact is that a bad or ok player with more situational awareness is not nearly as dangerous as a very skilled player with the same extra data. War Gaming as already provided every player with the ultimate situational awareness tool called the minimap, and so many poor players fail to utilize it

One gent opined earlier that the mods would likely not increase your win rate by more than 2%. I have absolutely no data to question whether that's high or low, yet even as a ball park, that is not an insignificant amount. Granted, it's not the 50% to 60% some may imagine, but given the distribution of the player base, 2% could be very significant.

Kind of hard to cheat on a game that is server side based..............even if it is SEA server........

Oh, Shifty, the mods which intercept data meant for arty are pretty cheaty, as are the foliage removers.

Having played a bunch of team battles recently with random scrub teams from a variety of countries... It was pretty clear that a number of them were running illegal mods. Made a big difference with the callers...

Even when they didn't speak English they were making it clear to me where stuff was going to appear and aiming etc.

Yeah its not game over game breaking but its still shit fucking cheating.

Even if it was hilarious beating VPA with a bunch of 46%ers being called by 49%er.

One thing that is an issue with Warpack etc is that unless there is a reasonably study done on it, nobody really knows how well it can improve (even possibly worsen) performance. We can guess based on game knowledge but they are still guesses.

The problem then arises of how does one test this without being banned and/or feeling bad for cheating. There isn't a useful test server where this stuff could be worked out and there isn't likely to be one any time soon.

what if we had an average player with similar recents, set up a reroll acc on both NA and EU(since they don't care) and see what the changes are. I still think it is a shitty thing too do but, i think we are all curious if the stats would change at all.

If you want to test something, why not a training room!

1 v 1 me brah!

I suspect the point is to test how effective the mods would be in a competitive context and over a decent sample size.

Interesting vid.  Looks more like mechwarrior with the laser lines everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3jhe4QJaRs

Ok,

Never actually seen a cheat video before,

that big red dot is ridiculous, it gives you a extreme advantage when outside viewrange? cause you know what height and so on to aim amt.

Never seen how that run a tree over mod works either, that gives a massive advantage as well with situational awareness.....

Time to stop running over everything in my way I guess 

I guess another questions from me is,

Sometimes when you get killed and the camera moves over to the tank that killed you.

There has been a few times, not really to often for me to worry about it that the turret of the tank is jerking back and forward in a really weird way

Is that a indication of aimbot then cause it sure does not look manual? 

Like many of you said, if a bad uses warpack, he will still be bad no matter what. WP won't help much.

The worse cheat is the red ball arty cheat, the one where it shows on the mini map a red ball when an enemy arty fires to show the exact location it.

And don't forget the fallen tree mod...that is clearing an advantage.

And don't forget the fallen tree mod...that is clearing an advantage.

<snigger>

I'm not too cut up about people cheating since all the cheat is at client side and thus they can't take control of my vehicle or reticle or such.

I've never found myself feeling hard done by in battle from an obvious cheater so it doesn't phase me. I don't like that people can turn off all trees/foliage/grass apparently and get clear views that i can't so WG should fix that in the client but again I'm not conscious of being the victim of this so not a show stopper.

As previous posters have said, even with all the cheats in the world crap players still gonna be crap eg with positioning, so the game will always be dominated by genuinely good players not cheats and that's as it should be

If wargaming implements an easy way to add mods to the game without the need to inject code into it, and then has no means to regulate the illegal mods with out any sort of Anti Cheating software, thats like making laws for a country without the means to regulate them or anyone to enforce them.

Vietnamese clans no cheats confirmed, FLAPDACOC no more now ever1 just fighting for land and no more bigtalk about VPA hogging goldpots

breif summary of clan wars in SEA

Vietnamese clans no cheats confirmed, FLAPDACOC no more now ever1 just fighting for land and no more bigtalk about VPA hogging goldpots

breif summary of clan wars in SEA

This isn't really a discussion on CW, but fwiw, how long have you been on the new map?