snow_leopardd

Does a dedicated sound card improve your WoT experience

a external dac would be better than a sound card, but like only way it would help wot would be making your music sound better while you play wot.

I won a Soundblaster X7 at PAXSouth this year. It's rather noticeable using it versus not. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, but it's nice.

I don't think it's needed, but everything sounds nicer.

Unless you have surround sound or or your headphones are just ridiculous, a sound card would be a waste of space. I'd go with the sound pack.

you've heard the term garbage in garbage out...that would apply to wot sounds, since they are meh to begin with sound card won't help that much. BUT sound card is great for music and movies etc, if you are into that, I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi platinum, great card (even though its old) and noticeable difference to on board sound for that stuff.

Sound cards are only useful if you have a mid-low end motherboard. On high end boards, the onboard sound is better than most any sound card will give you, with less room for interference (shorter circuit pathways for onboard vs card). That said, the vanilla WoT sounds are complete shit, I use sound mods for engines, guns, and impacts.

Onboard cards have gotten fairly good.  Should suffice for anything short of audiophile/professional level stuff.  I've run 7.1 systems just fine off of an optical cable and onboard.

I don't think anything in WoT is HQ enough to benefit from massive hardware.  Running through a decent receiver and properly balancing your sound channels will make anything sound better, though.

recommendations for sound mods?  Last time I tried it, (long time ago) it gave me issues.

Second this request, last time I tried (months ago) was gnome fathers and it crashed WoT somehow, might have been my potato PC though, so now with new PC might give it another go.

I use Gnomefather's guns with Kreigstreiber's engines. Gnome's engines tend to bug out a ton, but the guns work fine and sound unique.

Even then, the sound quality for everything is low enough that a dedicated sound card won't really do much.

recommendations for sound mods?  Last time I tried it, (long time ago) it gave me issues.

I personally use the ones in Aslain's, Gnomefather's engines and whatever to the combined gun/impact sound one is. I know others have had issues with the engines, but i never have and i like the variety. There's more than a few included in Aslain's, and it installs them correctly automatically.

inb4 OP bought siberiav2 and wants good sound quality

gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

why would it?

I really have no issues whatsoever with sound using my onboard sound+a pair of Logitech G230s. (Mobo is an Asus P8-Z77-V-LK if interested)

edit: I don't actually think the vanilla sounds are bad. I have seen sound packs, but most of them (even gnomefathers) sound really low quality, loud and terrible to me. the only sound mod I found that worked really well was that Jingles voice mod that I used for a patch in like 8.9 or something. that was well done.

a external dac would be better than a sound card, but like only way it would help wot would be making your music sound better while you play wot.

Pretty much this.

It also depends upon the type of new headphones you are using (ie. do the drivers need more juice).

FWIW, I use an 02+DAC with mod'd Fostex T50RP's.  But as others mention I tend to listen to music more than the game sounds.  Spilled one too many drinks after game explosions surprised me.