StahlJager

~500k Gold stolen from OTTER's Treasury

WG won't feel obligated to restore this gold or ban the players, but for their own interests they should consider whether they want to piss off two trolls, or the 96 players left in OTTER.

When you consider the potential risk of losing any amount of those 96 players, versus losing two, I think it's a pretty easy financial decision to make.

It's unlikely they'll ban them, but it's not like WG will lose any money by doing it, I doubt they'll buy gold soon :doge:

Wow, I went to sleep and woke up to this.

Being an EVE bittervet this sort of theft is something I'm fairly numb to. The creators of EVE have even stated that thefts of ingame assets are part of the game mechanics and players have free reign to screw each other over in every possible way provided they don't break the EULA.

I think this situation is going to take a while for WG to resolve because their decision is going to set a precedent for future thefts. If they elect to take an EVE style approach where if you give someone rights to access your valuables and they clear you out, then more fool you for giving them access. However if they decide to crack down on this then they're going to have to stick to it because it will cause an even greater shitstorm if they flip flop their decision.

I think this situation is going to take a while for WG to resolve because their decision is going to set a precedent for future thefts. If they elect to take an EVE style approach where if you give someone rights to access your valuables and they clear you out, then more fool you for giving them access. However if they decide to crack down on this then they're going to have to stick to it because it will cause an even greater shitstorm if they flip flop their decision.

<---Ex EvE corp thief (o/ Belligerent Undesirables)

I think in this case, it all comes down to what WG sees as a theft and what they don't. If someone leaves and takes 5k gold they have access to because they think they deserved it, what's to stop the clan leader from creating a ticket and saying it was a theft? 

In this case it's pretty obvious that 500k gold is clearly a theft but there's going to be other cases where it isn't so obvious.

So alluari, how'd backstabbing wotlabs for tioga and losing any respect you had here work out for you in the end? Obviously both tioga and Von are complete shitlords and should be banned, as well as getting otter refunded the gold, but I find it somewhat strange it took something like this to show people their true nature.

Being an old Eve player myself, i personally always found corp thieves to be dicks.

And i might be old and old fashioned, but imho if you act like a dick in an online pixel game, i bet your probably also a dick irl.

Being an old Eve player myself, i personally always found corp thieves to be dicks.

And i might be old and old fashioned, but imho if you act like a dick in an online pixel game, i bet your probably also a dick irl.

EvE online is a different game, you are entitled to your opinion. What I did in EvE might not be something others would condone, but I can confirm that I'm not a dick irl.

Lol. Tioga was well respected in the community in general. Welp, enjoy being hated you chodes. I rather have respect than gold.

So, when I was in Otter I went WAY out of my way to stay out of the politics and cliques. Even so, you can't help but watch and listen and notice things. I think the most diplomatic way to put it was that Tioga's addition to the clan was not universally welcomed. 

From my perspective, Otter was run very informally. This was not a bad thing. It's just a reflection of the dominant personalities in the clan. I don't think Otter would have been Otter if it had been run any other way. Given that, Otter was always vulnerable to this kind of thing. As someone mentioned, a lot of people had the keys to the castle. Given that, I don't think the surprise is that someone has done this. I think the (good) surprise is that it took so long for someone to do this. 

What I'm curious about is the number of gold that they took...

I mean if they went to the  trouble of stealing that gold, then why that number.. I mean if takes putting in different numbers other than say 250K..

Why would they do 237K...

BTW I hate the fact that they done this.. Just trying to find the logic behind the numbers is all....

and yes my stats suck even worse atm.. I just can't seem to raise my WR, but my WN8 is going up albeit slowly

I'm genuinely unsure on what I'd choose.

Hated by a minority of the playerbase, or having 250k gold.

Verily, a tricky decision....

Are you serious?  

The part that bugs you is the harm to yourself, rather than the harm to the people who worked to earn it?

---

For a point of reference, how much gold does OTTER make in a typical week?

Is this a few weeks of farming?

If someone did this in KIMBO, we'd have to wait for the next clanwars event to replenish.  It would be painful.  

Permit me to give you a legal opinion: Someone who steals game gold can be held responsible for theft under any criminal code that I know of. In general, the question is whether game gold constitutes "property," i.e., something of value that can be stolen. I don't see why it wouldn't be considered property. You can use game gold to buy things that can be bought with real money. The gold is like a store voucher or collection of store coupons. Does anyone doubt that you can be prosecuted for stealing $1500 worth of store coupons?

I am not going to be the one to call the cops. Nevertheless, I hope that this opinion encourages the perpetrators to return the property.

Permit me to give you a legal opinion: Someone who steals game gold can be held responsible for theft under any criminal code that I know of. In general, the question is whether game gold constitutes "property," i.e., something of value that can be stolen. I don't see why it wouldn't be considered property. You can use game gold to buy things that can be bought with real money. The gold is like a store voucher or collection of store coupons. Does anyone doubt that you can be prosecuted for stealing $1500 worth of store coupons?

I am not going to be the one to call the cops. Nevertheless, I hope that this opinion encourages the perpetrators to return the property.

If this was the case, every eve online player would be imprisoned for destroying/stealing property. There is no legal action that can be taken against anyone.

I don't know anything about eve online and can't comment about that. But stealing gold from a WOT treasury does not seem to be contemplated by any rule or custom of the game.

why do they even have that much laying around

It lets a clan fight wars in which they don't have consistent gold income, and still keep their players paid.

If you're fielding 3 or 4 teams a night, that's 50-60 or more active players to keep paid up and happy.

Sorry OTTER, Love you guys.

So alluari, how'd backstabbing wotlabs for tioga and losing any respect you had here work out for you in the end? Obviously both tioga and Von are complete shitlords and should be banned, as well as getting otter refunded the gold, but I find it somewhat strange it took something like this to show people their true nature.

Ain't gonna lie, I was thinking this, too.

Ain't gonna lie, I was thinking this, too.

Oh how I loved it when allu permabanned me and deleted all my channels because tioga told him to, and he did it no questions asked. Definitely was also on the top of my head.

Also, look at Never farming all the mad upboats. First telling mister rodgers to get the fuck out of here, and now revoking API access for tioga's site...

37381-well-done-sir-gif-Imgur-Wiserh-Tr7

Tioga's access to the WoTLabs API has been revoked. Sorry tioga.moe sig fans, but this is not a person I'm willing to spend my server's resources on.

So now that tioga's sigs are kill, will we be seeing official wotlabs gif sigs in the future?

Possibly contrary opinion here, but based on my experience in Otter, I doubt this is going to be a real big deal with them, at least in the long term. I really liked Allurai both as a clan leader and as a person. Obviously, you can't get to where Otter is without some serious work, but I always felt that Allurai, and most of the other leaders for that matter, realized this was just a game and there was always a sense of amusement at the general shennanigans that occurred. If I had to bet, I would say that Allurai is saying "well played, well played" and going about doing all the usual things Otter does. This will probably just go down in their history as yet another interesting chapter in the epic that is Otter.