Sgt. Pepper

Tiger 2 - the harder and slower Tiger 1

I got the Tiger 2 ~50 battles ago and now near the top turret. I boast a 2.5 skill crew and have no tier X tanks. I've noticed that the Tiger 2 does one thing well, shoot accurately. With Vert Stab and gun handling skills, my reticule bloom is minimal. The bottom turret is good at being useless at mostly everything (people love shooting right through your face). I also run the long 8.8 over the first 105, anyone do anything differently?

Anyone have recommendations on the playstyle? I try to use view range or hills when I can (you gain depression over the side).

Nope... suffer through. don't use the first 105 is the advice I got.. but the final gun and top turret make a difference I think.

Side scraping over poking btw (poking at an angle works a bit as well but if they get your front drivewheel they will kill you with impunity while side scraping at a narrow angle actually you can bounce a bit off your side (think other tiger 2's, don't try it against tier 10 heavies/TD's)

Your armour is next to worthless due to powercreep. so don't rely on it in t10/9 battles.

You can semi-reliably use it against same tier opponents.

Top 105 is king, excellent gun. 88 is serviceable for a grind, but you want to 105 the moment you can.

Try and engage at range, mid is best. Close-in for bully kills after the battle is halfway done.

It's ok, it's just the front roof is overmatched by 122s, the turret face is weak to high pen and so is the hull.

The gun is the only redeeming aspect of this tank IMO. The armor is....ok, you will got some bounces, just not reliably when fighting same or above tier.  As strange as this sounds, I played this as a second line tank.  I also used the long 88 until I got the top gun. The rate of fire and other stats makes up for the alpha.  With the top gun, its tolerable.

you need to abuse fire control, depression, pen to limit expsure and do damage without taking any which makes it a pretty meh tank because it has mediocre alpha as well as dpm but its playable 

Loved my Tiger 2 because the gun feels better than my Torts L1A1 

Wat.

Impossible. The Tort has the best gun in the game. Brit 120s are the best guns in the game. Tier 8 German kwakannones do not compare.

What they've said above about good gun, weak armor.  If you sit just behind the front line you can do well, great for clean up duty.  Brawling usually doesn't go well with 9/10's. 

It's really not a bad tank, contrary to what many people would have you believe.  The upper plate is more reliable than the IS-3, but the lower plate is of course trash.  Given proper angling you can even fool tier 9s and 10s into thinking they'll pen you.  Very solid top gun with an excellent APCR round that will go through any tank in the game and a typical German gun mantlet that absorbs any shot it takes if they hit the middle and not the flat part around it.

It's really not a bad tank, contrary to what many people would have you believe.  The upper plate is more reliable than the IS-3, but the lower plate is of course trash.  Given proper angling you can even fool tier 9s and 10s into thinking they'll pen you.  Very solid top gun with an excellent APCR round that will go through any tank in the game and a typical German gun mantlet that absorbs any shot it takes if they hit the middle and not the flat part around it.

This.  Almost done with my grind on it and when it's fully upgraded it's been a surprisingly enjoyable tank. That gun is just fantastic and I have no problems playing front line when top tier and a secondary role when up against 9s/10s.  Probably the easiest T8 grind I've had since they removed BT12. 

Problem arises when people shoot at your turret. It's almost flat 185mm and roof is 40mm.  Almost every mongo that tries to hit your cupola has solid chance of penetrating you. While IS-3 has that rounded turret making overmatch area only place to shoot. UFP is solid, yes, but it doesn't justify loss of speed compared to IS3. Overall it has very unforgiving armor profile, and that is literally only thing that drives this tank down.

I got my tiger 2 pretty recently and one major mistake I keep making is overestimating the armor and hoping for bounced shots that really wouldn't happen. The gun is very nice though, good dpm for a heavy and decent handling.

I would recommend sticking with the long-88 until you unlock the top 105. The intermediate one sacrifices pen for more alpha, which I don't think is worth it at all. With the top gun, the tank is very comfy to play. The top turret is serviceable against in-tier or below, but is utter garbage against most tier 9s and all tier 10s, who will almost certainly either just yolo through the front or penetrate your roof while shooting at the commander's hatch.

Hiding your lower plate is a priority if you're trying to use the armour, as it is terrible and can barely stop anything. I found that sidescraping is a viable tactic, particularly if you wiggle the turret as you're angling for the shot. Given the good accuracy and aim-time, this isn't too much of a liability when trying to shoot. Otherwise, yes, hull down can work into baiting shots at your upper plate or turret, which you can sort of protect again by wiggling between shots. But otherwise, the armour will never be particularly effective and you should not expect to bounce much.

Generally though, I enjoyed playing the tank and did quite well in it. The gun is excellent and allows you to be flexible - you can be in the front row when top tier, or can follow your meatier teammates and play second-line support effectively with your ability to go through pretty much anything frontally, or if you really don't feel safe, sit back and snipe.

I have over 1100 games in mine with a 55% win rate in it. I love the tank. However it is highly dependent on being sufficiently crewed to really shine (3 skill minimum)

You have to maximize the reload and the pen on the gun, You know that you can hit an pen reliably against the front hull of an IS3, so if it hits you, you Must Hit Twice. Your reload is 2-3 seconds faster than his. You Can Hit Twice.

Play it the same vs tier 9 heavies they all have slower reloads than you do. 

Side scraping can work, but if you're outside of auto bounce angle, you're penned. 

Use your extended HP (aka pubbies) They will take hits allowing you to use the OK mobility to scoot out, hit the bad guy and scoot back to cover.

The true enemies of the King Tiger are artillery and high tier medium tanks. 

Shoot your brains out from all distances, the longer the better.  The gun is accurate and while the alpha is low you can often trade 1-0 or 2-1.  Carry half APCR, 285 pen allows you to compete in tier 10 games, for example you can go through the turret face of an E100 from a distance.

The sides are 80mm, so you wont get overmatched, so you can sidescrape some. 

Shoot more, and I mean shots that have a 10% chance of hitting are fine.  Let them fly the gun will bail you out.

(1) KT is one of the easiest grinds in the game, possibly THE easiest.

(2) Long 88 on the KT is one of the best stock guns in the game, possibly THE best.

(3) Never use the short 105. Keep the long 88 until the long 105 is available.

(4) Mobility is okay - reasonably speedy until you hit a real uphill grade, at which it sucks.

(5) The gun is fantastic. Has everything but alpha, and the alpha isn't awful.

(6) Never rely on your armor. KT is an ARL 44 at Tier 8: decent mobility, excellent gun, strong UFP...but weak and large LFP, and trash turret. You can angle and get some ounces if forced to brawl against some same-tier or lower-tier tanks, but don't ever count on it.

I ran optics, vstab, rammer on mine and usually got some decent spotting in on open maps even while bottom tier, simply because I'd find a way to be ahead of my teammates without actually being in close with the enemy. Moved crew and equipment to the E 75, where I am having considerably less success, somehow. :/

I'll add that reverse angling to try and get auto-bounces can be risky against someone that knows what they're doing.  Like a lot of boxtanks, they can just shoot the underside of the sponsons.

I think i have around 100 games in my Tiger II at the moment so i can tell my thoughts about it.

Got my long 105 recently and i've got more than 60% (last time i checked it was 61%, it may have dropped) wins in it but my stats have dropped. Most of the time i either go to places that are usually swarmed with enemy tanks only to find out that nobody went there (entire side blank) or i get overrun because my team (at least the part on my side) gets overrun and then bunch of autoloaders empty their clip into me no matter how i angle, cant run, cant hide... I get the impresion that my team relies on me too much because im dark green, half way to blue and expect me to lead the charge in it which will get me killed. i tried that, most of the time nearby friendlies dont follow and i end up as a wreck. When i try to snipe, people call me brave hero, camper etc etc.

And now the most annoying part for me, which caused my rage way too many times. Most of those ~100 games were +1/+2, and that renders my armor useless so i cant relly on it at all. I know how to sidescrape in it, almost completed HT15 for Stug IV 3 times in it and those games were tier 9/10 , but this tank doesnt get top tier as it normally should at all, thats the biggest problem with this tank for me.

My win rate in Tiger I was between 69 and 70% and that tank is brutally good at least for me, my stats are around 2000+ WN8 in it, but i cant make Tiger II work because of awful MM it gets.

Sorry if i have missed a letter or two in some words, im typing this from a phone.

I think i have around 100 games in my Tiger II at the moment so i can tell my thoughts about it.

Got my long 105 recently and i've got more than 60% (last time i checked it was 61%, it may have dropped) wins in it but my stats have dropped. Most of the time i either go to places that are usually swarmed with enemy tanks only to find out that nobody went there (entire side blank) or i get overrun because my team (at least the part on my side) gets overrun and then bunch of autoloaders empty their clip into me no matter how i angle, cant run, cant hide... I get the impresion that my team relies on me too much because im dark green, half way to blue and expect me to lead the charge in it which will get me killed. i tried that, most of the time nearby friendlies dont follow and i end up as a wreck. When i try to snipe, people call me brave hero, camper etc etc.

And now the most annoying part for me, which caused my rage way too many times. Most of those ~100 games were +1/+2, and that renders my armor useless so i cant relly on it at all. I know how to sidescrape in it, almost completed HT15 for Stug IV 3 times in it and those games were tier 9/10 , but this tank doesnt get top tier as it normally should at all, thats the biggest problem with this tank for me.

My win rate in Tiger I was between 69 and 70% and that tank is brutally good at least for me, my stats are around 2000+ WN8 in it, but i cant make Tiger II work because of awful MM it gets.

Sorry if i have missed a letter or two in some words, im typing this from a phone.

(ripped from other topic)

Some final observations (you might disagree):

1 - Wearing enemy down whilst slowly losing hp. Armor seemed let-down, but enemy usually lost more.

2 - You often didn't roll with the main force. Stalling, defensive device. Due to accurate gun, dpm and hp the enemy wasted time / hp. It negated slow speed.

3 - Tier 10 seemed problematic (in comparison to IS-3).

4 - Defensive & support lacks flexability to carry a lost game, but ensures possible wins. Relies on team not being totally awful. The hp + armor enablessome carry in the right circumstance.

Thanks for the replays.

1: Correct, the thoughness of the KT is relative, i loose hp, but not as fast as the enemy, so if i manage to trade well, i will most of the time ``do enough``

2: Correct, eventhough it was a bit coincidence perhaps due to maps, but i usually try to ``close gaps``, if i get some help, i can stall or win the flank where i go (depending on how much enemies show up)

3: Depends also on the map, El Halluf is a very bad map to be bottom tier, but overall IS3 is better against tier 10 tanks (KT still has very good firepower, and is thus capable of hitting stuff, the problem is getting in a position to do so, but its more flexible in this regard as say T32 or VK-A (no penetration), KV4 (too slow / no gun depression) or Caern (no alpha dmg)

4: Correct, KT is the best used as either anchor or as a sort of support tank, the all round flexibility aswell as armor and mobility allow it to do something on almost any map, i do not camp behind though (unless im not sure where the enemy will be, like sand river and campinovka) when i know more or less where there will be enemys, i will move forward asap, as can be seen on Prok, Ensk or Pearl River

KT is all about positioning, when to attack, when to camp, what to kill, when to hold your ground etc.

see also this topic:

I don't get the nature of your complaint. Your recent WR is 60%, and you say you're pulling a 60%-61% WR in the KT with a 2000 WN8 in it. So...where is the issue? It sounds like it's performing for you at a level appropriate for your overall recent.

As for the armor...don't count on it, except against lower tier tanks and same tier mediums. The side armor is the same as the Tiger I's a tier lower, the turret is largely trash, and the LFP is large; it's basically armored like a Tier 8 version of the ARL 44 - shoot it anywhere but the UFP and you'll probably pen.

Leverage the decent mobility and the excellent gun. Those are the keys to the KT, in my opinion.

If you wanna see some absurd stats in the thing, check out teamoldmill's stats. 1600 DPG, 2300 WN8...and a WR a hair under 48%. Dr. Florb's diagnosis: oldmill camped spawn hardcore, then uselessly farmed trash damage in a last ditch hopeless defense after his team lost.

You got me wrong mate, those 2k+ were in Tiger I, i checked the numbers and it's 2083 WN8 for 119 games, 69.14% won.

KT on the other hand dropped, 57.14% win rate with WN8 1419 in 84 games, not as bad as i thought but from the games i had it's not good enough.

I pretty much know where am i making mistakes now, i took a one day break from WoT and now when the rage is out of the formula, i can try to make it work for me again.