Psycodiver

Opinions on WOT by real tankers?

I got curious and looked around but couldn't find anything in what real tankers thought of World of Tanks. I think my grandfather would get a kick out of this game if he was still around, he was Sherman tank commander in WWII (he also was a driver, gunner and loader) in the 3rd Armored Division. Although I was still pretty young when he died I still remember a few things he talked about although he never really talked much about the war other than a couple stories.

So anyway has anyone ever heard any real tankers thoughts on this game?

So anyway has anyone ever heard any real tankers thoughts on this game?

There was this guy, he served in Yugoslavian T-55. He said game was fun, but not really what he was expecting in terms of reality. So there's that.

Also, they usually have harder time adapting since they are all into advanced tactics and more realism.

Nothing like the real thing. WOT is a video game. Grand Theft Auto is closer to your real life than WOT is to real world tanking. WOT is fun but it does not give you any idea what it would really be like to be in a tank.

I was a Tank Platoon leader in the US Army in the 90s. I was there during the transition from M1A1s to the M1A2s and the advent of the digital battlefield (concept is abstractly like the mini-map in the game at least in theory, never really worked like that in the real world).

I dont think people who drive real tanks want to play a tank game (be it a simulator or arcade) because then your life would be nothing but tanks.  And that can get pretty boring really quick.  I think they would find it cool but not have a real interest in the game because why play a game when you drive the real thing.

If you had to spend 30 minutes to 3 hours on maintenance before you went into a match, before every match, then played with your head in a runing shop vac while looking through a pair of badly scratched safety glasses, it'd be a skosh closer...

The closest you will get to a "real life" version of tanking is War Thunder IMO.  But it is still a video game and should not be anyway considered close to the real thing.  Just like Haswell pointed out, you are basically asking soldiers what they think of call of duty or battlefield.

Another tanker you might want to ask is 1stTanks.  I think he was a tank commander in a recent war.........and there is this guy in BURDY as well who was a real life tanker if you want to ask his opinion.

The closest you will get to a "real life" version of tanking is War Thunder IMO.  But it is still a video game and should not be anyway considered close to the real thing.  Just like Haswell pointed out, you are basically asking soldiers what they think of call of duty or battlefield.

Another tanker you might want to ask is 1stTanks.  I think he was a tank commander in a recent war.........and there is this guy in BURDY as well who was a real life tanker if you want to ask his opinion.

Warthunder is equally as unrealistic as WoT.

cuz its what they wish their jobs were like

Trying to fight with a 14 year old screaming racial epithets in my ear the whole time and having run my ass off to be the one to grab the Banshee when it spawns? No thanks.

If you had to spend 30 minutes to 3 hours on maintenance before you went into a match, before every match, then played with your head in a runing shop vac while looking through a pair of badly scratched safety glasses, it'd be a skosh closer...

Yeah, I wasn't a tanker but the SWDs were always scratched and they fogged so badly it was ridiculous and I paid for replacements for my whole crew out of pocket several times.  If you had to wake up at 3AM and spend two hours listening to a clan order and then 3-4 hours planning a stronghold battle with a flashlight and then eat pork chow mein for breakfast it might be more realistic too. 

There's not a lot about the game that lets real armored warfare tactics work well in an arcade game.  There's no magical self-updating minimap in real tanks of the 20th century, when trying to build a situational awareness picture from radio reports is half the battle sometimes.  Ramming is almost never done on purpose, and never with the main gun facing forward.  Arty is COMPLETELY goofy in this game, even mortars pretty much never just fire at whatever they want whenever they want.  Tanks never break down like real ones, 

And I sure would have given a lot for one of those instant track repair kits a few times.

I got introduced into the game by someone who commanded a Leopard (2 I think, may be 1... don't remember) when he was in draft... 

One of the worst players I know  :smug:

No kidding, just look at mine, and I deal(well dealt) with WW2 armor .

Having real experience with the vehicles and armament in game, does not mean you're going to be worth a damn in the game..

I was a navy hospital corpsman and spent a lot of time with a usmc tank company where I got to crew an M60 a few times.  Got to drive it and play gunner a bit.  That said, the game is far from reality.  For example, if you've ever had a tank lose a track, you'll know it takes the better part of a day to fix - not 20 seconds.  :)   Also, shooting on the move should be practically impossible for tanks of this era.  But a serious simulator would not make for a fun multiplayer game - it would be all about getting one shotted by invisible tanks sitting a mile away from you.

A quick note about something brought up here - and unrelated to WoT's timeline - our modern tanks and special units all have real-time GPS displays showing your comrades and...more, all linked to the base of operations.

Pretty neat, although in recent conflicts commanders had to relearn the fact that COMMANDING cannot be done from a far away screen in the base. If you do it right, technology aids you a lot. It just cannot replace human leadership.

EDIT: Just realized I should mention, I'm from Israel. I have no idea what it is like in the US, but I would imagine it is not entirely different.