Sign in to follow this  
KrVa46

AW: armour vs shells

Hi guys,

Like many of you here I've bought myself the early access "LoW" package and now am just counting down to the 27th ...

But, and this is probably unlike most of you here, I know shit about tanks.  Well, pre WWII tanks are going better now thx to WoT but modern tanks are still a mysterie to me.

I've been spending quite some time reading up on mondern tanks technology, but when it comes to game play I'm still pretty clueless.

OK, despite my ignorance, after playing WoT we pretty much all know some ground rules:

1. shoot AP at enemies

2. shoot premium ammo at enemies when you can't pen with regular ammo.

A little more advanced rules (mind boggling many can't get this logic):

3. load HE when you are a guaranteed pen on a thinly armored vehicle

4. load HE if your caliber is big enough and you want to finish off a low health enemy

5. load HE in your E-100 and ship away 300HP per shot on a hull down IS-7 until he has enough and charges you (so you switch to premium of course :))

6. don't shoot HEAT at spaced armour

7. don't shoot HE out of low caliber guns

Without looking at weak spots, I think those last 2 are the only cases where you are guaranteed a non-pen.

Now, in AW it's not just the tickness of the armour plating that varies, but there will be all kinds of armour: cage, reactive, applique, ...

And all kinds of shell types.  Sorry, no examples, see second statement ... :beard:

Can any of you give some kind of run down?  Something like: this ammo on this type of armour, definately not this ammo on that kind of ammo, ...

Thx,

One of the problems for this topic: NDA.

Another problem for this topic: everything is subjected to change.

Also I played the alfa version of the game, but not even close to long enough to make proper statements on ammo and armour usage in the game, unfortunately.

Last note: the gameplay will probably differ from reality, so predictions can be made, but AW can and will be different :)

What I can tell you from the statements I've seen on the AW webpage is that they are planning to introduce ERA and composite armour for sure. ERA is particularly effective against HEAT, but looses it's effectiveness once hit the first time.

As of composite armour, in military technology this type of armour was invented to make tanks lighter, while introducing enough armour to protect them. Depending on how the structure of the material is made, it can be more effective than steel or less effective than steel (that should go for steel itself as well: welded plates against forged steel).

IIRC the only thing I read in the official forum was, that if you shoot with APFSDS or something similar on a very light armored target it is possible that you don't do full damage. Unfortunately I don't find the thread atm and it wasn't an official statement.

The NDA is the main problem here. Just try to be patient until the 27th and then try it out for yourself.

Edit: Just found this thread about ammo types...

NDA ... hadn't thought about that ... 

Interesting article about the ammo types though.

Thx for the help

Just try to be patient until the 27th and then try it out for yourself.

I've only been half following the progress of this but whats happening on the 27th? Are we getting open beta?

Nope, the Early Access Phase starts, which means that Alpha Testers and users who bought one of the EA-Packages can play.

I am allowed to talk about a few things:

First your ammo analysis is wrong for Armored Warfare:

1. Shoot Sabot at high armor targets from the front or high angled sides, do not shoot at light armor targets, shells can pass through without actually hurting the target

2. Shoot HEAT at Medium Armor Targets or at the rear of tanks, avoid firing heat at Cage Armor,Spaced Armor, MBT Front/Sides, and ERA - Does more damage that a SABOT with a higher chance to crit but many systems defend against it

3. Shoot HE at light armor targets, avoid firing at Cage Armor, ERA, or active defense system targets - do not shoot at MBTs as this is basically useless

4. Shoot ATGMs at any target but know they are going to move when you fire and you will have to learn to guide it, avoid shooting at targets with Active Defense, ERA, Cage Armor, or Passive Defense systems

5. Artillery shells do not instantly kill, you have the option of taking the hit rather than moving into an exposed position.  Generally does about as much or less damage than a single round from an equal tier MBT

6. Remember Spotting mechanics are the same but distances are much larger (About 30%) for when you can be seen and camo may not be as effective

Weakpoint are and aren't the same, High Chance (80%) of doing 1/4 or 1/2 damage to tanks that you pen through commander's hatches.  Rear shots have chance of doing 1/4-1/2 extra damage when they score criticals.

Lower plates still work pretty well.

Tanks are a lot more mobile and can take a bit more punishment overall, remember this while playing.

View Ranges vary greatly!  Even in your own class of tank your view range may vary within a tier by as much as 100m.

I could keep going but here this will give you some ideas of what to expect:

Wow your video is great. I really like your narration and the tiny various details you brought up. I'm surprised this video isn't the one endorsed by Obsidian. Please continue making such video. 

I am allowed to talk about a few things:

First your ammo analysis is wrong for Armored Warfare:

1. Shoot Sabot at high armor targets from the front or high angled sides, do not shoot at light armor targets, shells can pass through without actually hurting the target

2. Shoot HEAT at Medium Armor Targets or at the rear of tanks, avoid firing heat at Cage Armor,Spaced Armor, MBT Front/Sides, and ERA - Does more damage that a SABOT with a higher chance to crit but many systems defend against it

3. Shoot HE at light armor targets, avoid firing at Cage Armor, ERA, or active defense system targets - do not shoot at MBTs as this is basically useless

4. Shoot ATGMs at any target but know they are going to move when you fire and you will have to learn to guide it, avoid shooting at targets with Active Defense, ERA, Cage Armor, or Passive Defense systems

5. Artillery shells do not instantly kill, you have the option of taking the hit rather than moving into an exposed position.  Generally does about as much or less damage than a single round from an equal tier MBT

6. Remember Spotting mechanics are the same but distances are much larger (About 30%) for when you can be seen and camo may not be as effective

Weakpoint are and aren't the same, High Chance (80%) of doing 1/4 or 1/2 damage to tanks that you pen through commander's hatches.  Rear shots have chance of doing 1/4-1/2 extra damage when they score criticals.

Lower plates still work pretty well.

Tanks are a lot more mobile and can take a bit more punishment overall, remember this while playing.

View Ranges vary greatly!  Even in your own class of tank your view range may vary within a tier by as much as 100m.

WOW, great summary!!

Thanks Fiaura   :)

Actually very cool that depending on where you hit a tank you do more or less damage than average (commander hatch, view ports, rear of tanks, ...).  No longer getting owned in your hull down position because they keep shooting the same fucking cupola over and over (sure I wiggle, but we all know a skilled player can anticipate)