6HkuRgD5E0ErS.gif

It's a tank I still need to grind through, so I thought why not make a real challenge?

I'm not really into tier 7 so you might want to have a laugh at this

cQC6Xd5.jpg

DPG on Vbaddict tops around 1.800, since mine is far below, I'll try for 1.500 - 1.600.

WR 60% (purple wotlabs scale)

Assisted 350 - I'll be red-lining more than I used to before I think, hence the lower number.

I'll be using a harem crew but since I don't retrain with gold last skill isn't used. Toolbox is OP too

NXcW0sT.jpg

Planning to try and track 20games before le harakiri. My japanese knowledge of culture is limited to the last samurai and one Rurouri Kenshin movie. Feel free to poast music or interesting stuff.

Do you want to play a game?

6HkuRgD5E0ErS.gif

It's a tank I still need to grind through, so I thought why not make a real challenge?

I'm not really into tier 7 so you might want to have a laugh at this

cQC6Xd5.jpg

DPG on Vbaddict tops around 1.800, since mine is far below, I'll try for 1.500 - 1.600.

WR 60% (purple wotlabs scale)

Assisted 350 - I'll be red-lining more than I used to before I think, hence the lower number.

I'll be using a harem crew but since I don't retrain with gold last skill isn't used. Toolbox is OP too

NXcW0sT.jpg

Planning to try and track 20games before le harakiri. My japanese knowledge of culture is limited to the last samurai and one Rurouri Kenshin movie. Feel free to poast music or interesting stuff.

i actually ended up enjoying the tank far more than the reviews suggest

primarily because

-autoloader dpm/handling

-while top speed is poor it has pretty decent acceleration/maneuverability so circle jerking is actually pretty easy

unfortunately thats about it, still had fun with it tho

also even red arty players know about jap tanks, especially the chi ri.

the amount of times i got focused when slow heavies were lit in the open before i was was fucking ridiculous

anyway good luck with the challenge!

Day one is so so

• WR 60% - had I had one less retarded tier 9 in one of the battle it easily could've been a 4/5
  • DPG 1.606
  • Assisted 878 - managed to take advantage of team distribution on malinovka, but 350 is low. 500 should be do-able if I keep getting tier 9games.

PPfbpS2.png

Replays are on my vbaddict page http://www.vbaddict.net/player-replays/scout_in_da_house-na-e961e543c5b6c611d56ade87503eec4e

For those who don't own this thing (yet), the guys above me are about right. Autoloader is fun and has amazing aiming time, but that's all.

The things that hurt most are camo, view range, mobility and view range, as you can see in one of the games where I got penned twice by a tier 6 arty.

E: view range actually isn't that bad. I just don't have optics on it for some reason.

I'll literally free XP until the STA-1 because from there it's at least playable

@Westy Gj quoting the entire OP 

as for the chi - ri, I'm about to get it ...will free exp past it.

No need guys. Liberal spam of gold makes this thing usable in most games. That and solid crew. At least give it a try.

No need guys. Liberal spam of gold makes this thing usable in most games. That and solid crew. At least give it a try.

The Chi-Ri does fine with gold spam. It bleeds credits like nothing else, but the gun can chop through most things if fed the good stuff.

(What killed the grind for me was MM giving me 24 straight tier 9 battles. That got old, and I found a better use for the garage space.)

/cares about credits too much to spam gold

You can always do doubles with x2 T29s with you.

Also, to not go off topic - Scout gl in your challenge.

I think this challenge requires chanting Buddhists.

i actually ended up enjoying the tank far more than the reviews suggest

primarily because

-autoloader dpm/handling

-while top speed is poor it has pretty decent acceleration/maneuverability so circle jerking is actually pretty easy

also even red arty players know about jap tanks, especially the chi ri.

the amount of times i got focused when slow heavies were lit in the open before i was was fucking ridiculous

Just finished the grind 2 days ago. Glad to get rid of it. 

Good handling/DPM is counteracted by two things: 

• Extended exposure time in spite of 1s intra shell time means that unlike an IS that can blap someone for 390 straight and pullback, your big fat Japanese tank has to sit there for an extra 2s to churn out the equivalent alpha. 
  • You often cannot afford to aim in your shots for all 3 shells (if you want to minimise exposure), leading to a situation where only 1 out of 3 end up penning.
  • Even with liberal gold spam and weakspot targeting, 185 AP is just anaemic for a tank that is often too fat and slow to flank. 

I played my IS and M4 45 in a similar role, namely soft support heavy in CQC/brawls. Find a beefier/reliable ally and stick to him to hold that corner. Once the opponent fires, pull out and dump the 3 shells for maximum effect. 

Also, the number of times enemies have gone out of their way to shoot a Chi-Ri (since it has 0 hope of bouncing) is just ridiculous. They don't care that they are gonna get smacked for 400 by your ally. They just want your blood.

Undeniably, the tank has flavour. However, unless you have one or two reliable/competent heavies, it's not a very versatile machine and its role on the battlefield is just too limited. 

Can't play during the week, so here is day two

z5x1j7b.png

• DPG ok
  • Assisted rekt
  • WR got carried by a yellow in the game I did 1520damage early on, the one I lost is purely because our only top tier E75 decided to change his mind 4 or 5 times on where to go.

Replays are on vbaddict http://www.vbaddict.net/player-replays/scout_in_da_house-na-e961e543c5b6c611d56ade87503eec4e

Day 3

First battle didn't get recorded in wotstats so here's a printscreen

RjS6crq.jpg

Then I found out there is no god (only had one battle today without tier 9s)

GU3X89S.jpg

Luckily my tier 9s were less bad than theirs, and we won that one. Even though the premium pen is rather low (186), I found it to work quite allright even against tier 9s.

Rest of the games

eIuxR3I.png

Today

• WR 80% - got shite team on stalingrad, got gud team on malinovka
  • DPG 1.714
  • Assisted 467

Overall I'd like to think I played quite allright today, should've exited the east in the Tundra battle sooner though, that really killed the DPG.

The more I'm playing it seriously, the more realistic it seems to get near the top at 1.800dpg. I also think that if the "damage padders" didn't care as much about their WN and would play this thing, you'd see some guys with more than 2k DPG on the vbaddict list. It's really not all that bad and the autoloader does add a fun factor. You have to be willing to shoot quite some prem though.

Replays on vbaddict as always

Evening of day 3, went for a mission like a retard, but at least I managed to finish it (kill heavy two tiers higher). Got somewhat outplayed and yolorushed in the second one so that's a loss.

Conclusion of playing this low tier thing: avoid positions where you can get rushed. In higher tiers, pubs seem to at least consider whether or not they want to throw their tank for mine. While playing this, it seemed like they often just yolo me as soon as they could. And if they got sideshots on an ISU, they will shoot me. Maybe it's the purple color, maybe it's because I'm in a Chi Ri. Generally proxy spotting or getting into CQ is only a good idea if your team consists of green+.

Ending challenge later or tomorrow.

Why not later and tomorrow?

Le screens of the three I on the comment before and two I just did

r5zanMx.png

5yuGz3d.png

Overall stats

• 14/20 aka 70% 
  • 1.424 DPG screwed it up a bit in the end, but definitely not bad.
  • assisted is way more than 350, too tired to calculate

I'm really glad I did this, even if only to prove that it isn't that bad of a tank. Lower tiers are more carry-able than I thought, you just need to hide behind your team a little more.

Reload time between clips is also very nice, a lot of people without good crews or equipment at this level, so sometimes you can permatrack stuff.

Going to finish the rest in platoon, because LABS is awesome. Here's the first replay after my 20 solo battles

http://wotreplays.com/site/1902033#karelia-scout_in_da_house-type_5_chi-ri

Everything will be on my vbaddict page ofcourse, but the most recent ones will probably be in platoon (and unrecorded).

For the people about to use it, do yourself a favor and get optics and repairs on the crew :)

From a wn8 perspective I have no idea why these Japanese tanks have such high damage required for their tier and capabilities. The tanks pre sta1 just absolutely stink.

From a wn8 perspective I have no idea why these Japanese tanks have such high damage required for their tier and capabilities. The tanks pre sta1 just absolutely stink.

I found Ke-Ho and Chi-Nu pretty solid tanks and Chi-To a really good damage whore. My guess is, good pen(aside from Chi-Ri) is all what counts for average pubbie.

IMHO most people that slog through the Japanese line have already ground out other lines (and they have a rep of not being noob friendly), so there are fewer shitters to pull down the stats on these tanks.