PityFool

"It's my first time, please be gentle." - Virgin PC Builder

So, after discussing PC building with the techs in chat, I was advised to make a thread.

Budget:  $1600 (USD)

My current gaming rig is an Ultrabook (HP Envy) that actually runs pretty well with good FPS but has some cooling issues and I need it for my study so I'd rather not fuck it up.

I have never done this before and am pretty clueless, I'm like that school sport nut that happened to find a PC and start gaming, so stuff will need to be a bit numbed down for me to completely understand. This is mostly a planning stage, I will probably build the thing within the next month or 2 if all goes to plan.

Some thing's I'd like to note:

- I really want this to have good cooling, probably air, noise is not a huge issue for me.

- Performance wise it should be "super unicum".

- I'd like it to look good too, not sure what cases cost and the sizes I need though.

Halp pls.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. No question about it. Best bang for the buck air cooler on the market for 5 years. Cools better than 80% of 80$ coolers and costs 3 times less.

You are not going to get superuni performance with that budget, probably only going to manage uni. Superuni rigs are like 2k+

Are you planning on building it yourself or build online and have it shipped?  I usually build out my own systems, but 2 years ago I decided to splurge (with the wife's permission of course) and had a rig built at Microcenter.  They did a great job.  I walked the PC parts section and grabbed what I wanted off the shelf, and they assembled and tested it for me.  Took less than a week to get it back.  Plus I had it covered under a warranty, and replaced a couple of components under the warranty plan.  

If you have a tech store similar to that near you, you can have it built out that way, and depending on what your budget buys you, set it up so that you only need to add a second GPU a few months down the road if you wish.  If you get a good solid base set up in your rig, it can last several years with minor updates to certain components.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/petersleepy/saved/#view=MTmv6h

Something like this should work. You can pick your own case/monitor that you like. You can also wait for the AMD 300 series GPU's to see how those compare to their Nvidia counterparts.

This leaves you with ~$150 to spend on the CPU cooler, keyboard, mouse, and OS. I would highly recommend a mechanical keyboard if you can fit it into your budget.

i5 4690k & GTX 970 is good for running WoT @Max with 1080p 

Not that expensive too so if you put that into your build it wouldn't be bad. 

Maybe something like this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xTqGMp

Build would be xfire/sli ready.

The 4790k probably isn't necessary so you could save $100 and just get a 4690k.

Leaves you $345 for a case, id recommend a caselabs case but like they are pretty expensive cheapest non mini itx is $260.(without upgrades) http://www.caselabs-store.com/mercury-s5-case/Pretty though and quality is second to none.

AMD's next gpus should be out next month(i think) so should be out by the time you are ready to build.

Wait do you need a monitor?

Also some things will likely be cheaper to get in the us but once they get over 400nzd(including shipping) it may end up cheaper to get them locally, just need to work it all out.

Does the $1600 include them?

if so just get a cheap $20 keyboard for now and think about getting a nice mechanical later on.

and i'll redo my recommendation with a monitor later.(after haircut)

If I see any 970s recommended here I will bite you 3.5 out of 4 times.

If you game @ 1080p the 3.5GB out of 4GB Vram being the only fast ram doesn't really matter...plus a GTX 980 is almost double the price for 15% more performance 

If you game @ 1080p the 3.5GB out of 4GB Vram being the only fast ram doesn't really matter...plus a GTX 980 is almost double the price for 15% more performance 

I am very happy with my 970. I dropped some dime on a MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G and don't regret it for a second. My 660Ti could run Far Cry 3 and 4 at 1080p but would overheat after a while causing the game to crash. New card doesn't suffer this issue at all. The Maxwell architecture is really nice in that it is more power efficient and (as a result) runs cooler than the stuff that came before it.

I would also recommend getting the rig built for you as petersleepy did. Once you've done a couple of full assemblies there's no reason to waste your own time on such a menial task. A good builder will also thoroughly test the assembled system for you to ensure there are no hardware defects. Trust me, it's worth it because there's nothing quite like struggling to get a system you assembled working only to discover that the reason it didn't work was that one of the CPU pins was damaged. If you assembled it yourself you're generally SoL, whereas a builder will simply replace it with a working part.

Regardless of how much money I make, I will never pay for an operating system...

Hahahaha, one way or the other?

Pity, if you're willing to sail the high seas on the operating system, you can ditch the i7 for an i5 (pretty much same performance for gaming) but throw in a 1080p monitor AND a good mechanical keyboard.

Hahahaha, one way or the other?

I've had Win7 Ultimate since before it was sold and would never even consider paying for an OS... Yeah, I get that the company that sells it has to make money, and they make plenty of it from pre-built computers. The torrented versions often work better than the payed version anyway because they're free of all the anti-piracy stuff :P

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. No question about it. Best bang for the buck air cooler on the market for 5 years. Cools better than 80% of 80$ coolers and costs 3 times less.

You are not going to get superuni performance with that budget, probably only going to manage uni. Superuni rigs are like 2k+

+1 can  confirm.  You can spend more if you want to but you don't need to unless you're doing heavy overclocking, in which case you're probably not asking these questions here because you already know what you're doing.  The marginal returns drop off dramatically past its price point.

Spend half an hour making the most Unicum build I can think of for $1600: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Neverwish/saved/GH39TW

> Yea need a monitor and keyboard.

... mkay.

Really good build.  If we need to squeeze some from the budget to accommodate the peripherals, I'd go with a 4690k instead and then maybe consider adding the HDD later.  Core i5 is plenty for gaming, you'll basically never even touch the extra threads of an i7 with gaming alone.

i5 4690k & GTX 970 is good for running WoT @Max with 1080p 

Not that expensive too so if you put that into your build it wouldn't be bad. 

Breh, my 660 still does that.

Pity make sure to check everything is compatible, I missed a check while building my computer a couple of years ago and thought something wasn't compatible. You age very quickly when that happens :)

Breh, my 660 still does that.

Pity make sure to check everything is compatible, I missed a check while building my computer a couple of years ago and thought something wasn't compatible. You age very quickly when that happens :)

Yea hence why I have been asking people who know what they're doing :) I might get it built for me though, just your typical PC place would do it for you right?

or just get a 290x for less. >.>

also woot no need to try fit monitors into the budget. would recommend you get a 1440p 27" one though

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8mpXBmadded a case i think looks nice that doesn't cost a fortune. >.>

also theres enough money left in the budget to get a 390x instead of a 290x.

Oh no, please don't include monitors and keyboards in the price. 

Thanks for that Never.

Oh thank god, I was unusually proud of that build <3

By the way, would you prefer a black or white case?

Oh thank god, I was unusually proud of that build <3

By the way, would you prefer a black or white case?

that's casist.jpg

Pity your problem is NZ just like AU get treated like an arty with 132s around when it comes to pc parts pricing, especially if you're shipping from OS.

A parts picker is a good idea but you want the local one for NZ  http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/

Now your build will also depend on the application, despite what everyone else is suggesting you don't need a monster rig to run this game so if it's a mostly WoT pc you've got some wiggle room with the GFX card.