PityFool

"It's my first time, please be gentle." - Virgin PC Builder

water cooling would be better less beginner friendly though. but you can get aio loops that can be expanded so are simple for beginners and when you feel more confident you could add you gpu/gpus into it.

Pls stop - watercooling isnt for newbies and expandable AIOs should only be considered, if they are all copper. If he manages to put his first build together without damaging the pins in the socket he did well enough. Going watercooling requires "a little" more research/knowledge than 30min on youtube or in some forum and has its own drawbacks.

Not only the build process but also maintaining the loop requires much more time than a air cooled build. Its for PC enthusiasts.

Pls stop - watercooling isnt for newbies and expandable AIOs should only be considered, if they are all copper. If he manages to put his first build together without damaging the pins in the socket he did well enough. Going watercooling requires "a little" more research/knowledge than 30min on youtube or in some forum and has its own drawbacks.

Not only the build process but also maintaining the loop requires much more time than a air cooled build. Its for PC enthusiasts.

I didn't say it was for newbies and the only expandable aio worth getting is all copper/brass.

Yea I definitely won't have it built before July, probably more like September. 

So air cooled is the better option? How many fans is too many, I'd prefer to keep the temp right down if that improves performance or life expectancy etc.

Water is nifty, can dispose of more heat for extreme loads or overclocks, and runs quieter.  You can use an all-in-one water cooler (I like Corsair's) if you want to run a bigtime overclock for epeen points or build an especially quiet PC.  It's a little more expensive and difficult to use an all-in-one water cooler, and makes very little seat of pants fps difference.

Air is completely adequate for 99.9% of users, is cheaper, easier to install and will never ever leak ever no matter what.  If budget and difficulty are important considerations, air is a perfectly good solution.  It's also fairly easy to swap in an all-in-one water cooler later if you decide to.

Hell, for that matter even the stock air cooler that comes with the CPU is entirely adequate if you don't overclock.  And it's free.

Every PC/Laptop I've used to this date has had cooling issues. Granted, prior to this I was living in the tropical jungle where temp's were hitting 50C outside.

Laptops and prebuilt PCs generally aren't designed with games in mind and tend to make a lot of compromises to cooling for the sake of size/compactness/weight/cost since it's adequate for most users.  You can add a couple case fans to add add'l airflow if you really want some extra peace of mind, but it's generally not necessary unless you're really taxing the system or running a crazy overclock.  The NZXT case Never picked already includes 2 fans even.

Honestly, mechanical keyboards aren't worth it. I have owned the red and blue cherry keys and I don't really like them. Get an IBM keyboard or a cheap membrane keyboard to save some money

Air is completely adequate for 99.9% of users, is cheaper, easier to install and will never ever leak ever no matter what.  If budget and difficulty are important considerations, air is a perfectly good solution.  It's also fairly easy to swap in an all-in-one water cooler later if you decide to.

Hell, for that matter even the stock air cooler that comes with the CPU is entirely adequate if you don't overclock.  And it's free.

most aio loops are easier to instal than the better air coolers, also stock cooling is pretty bad good case airflow can help them though.

Honestly, mechanical keyboards aren't worth it. I have owned the red and blue cherry keys and I don't really like them. Get an IBM keyboard or a cheap membrane keyboard to save some money

technically the model m(which i assume you mean when you say ibm keyboard) is a mechanical keyboard, one of the best, so long as you don't spill liquids on them.

Blasphemy :P

Also, don't forget to spend some time figuring out the wire management in your case. Good wire management will help improve the airflow and make the inside of the case look really nice.

I think white looks pretty cool, kinda like the one below.

If you can spare a little bit more, then I'd recommend a White/Black NZXT H440. The S340 is very well build but it doesn't look like a premium product (well, it is quite a cheap case). All piano black metal with a cheap looking plastic window. The H440 looks absolutely beautiful, has excellent cable management space and comes standard with 4 fans. Seriously. Not even my 900D, a 350$ case, came with more than 4 fans.

Case info: https://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/143-h440-performance-mid-tower.html

most aio loops are easier to instal than the better air coolers, also stock cooling is pretty bad good case airflow can help them though.

technically the model m(which i assume you mean when you say ibm keyboard) is a mechanical keyboard, one of the best, so long as you don't spill liquids on them.

Stock cooling is *just fine* if you're not overclocking or running extreme loads 24/7.  The engineers designed them to be able to cool the unit perfectly well under stock speeds and voltages.  The enormous majority of CPUs sold the world over use stock coolers and never have thermal problems.

Even AIO closed loops add a radiator that has to be installed.  Agree that it's not rocket science, but it does add some difficulty figuring out airflow etc.

Anyone know about this case? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/bitfenix-case-bfcaeg300bkwl1rp

I saw it on Paul's hardware and thought it was pretty smexy for ~$100. You can get it in different colors too.

Looks fine but it's micro ATX. Micro ATX cases tend to be cheaper, because smaller.

Haven't heard of the company though, so a healthy amount of skepticism is required.

Here are the core components from my partial build just a couple months ago.

I used my Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Headset, HDDs, Blu-Ray from the last PC built in 2012

Item                                        Name                                                             Retail                         Final Price

Case                                      Antec Eleven Hundred                             $140                           $44.49 ($20)

Power Supply                     Corsair CX500                                             $ 70                            $33.74 ($20)

Motherboard                        Asus P97-Pro wifi                                       $219.99                      $169.99

CPU                                       Intel i5 4690k                                                $249.99                      $199.99         

Memory                                 Crucial Balistix 16 GB 1833Mhz             $169.99                      $129.99

SSD                                        Intel 730 Series 240 GB                             $249.95                      $128.99

Video Card                           Asus STRIX-GTX970                               $489.95                      $329.99 -tax

Total              $1037

Wait till end of june - new AMD GPUs will be released at that time.

Oh I'm glad I read this. I was about to buy a 290X that was on sale, lol.

Go to either /r/pcmasterrace or /r/buildapc give them your budget and somebody will "make you a pc" on pcpartpicker.com.  I'm not sure what kind of games you play but with your budget your could probably afford a GTX 980 but that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for peripherals. If you just play WoT I would recommend a GTX 970 so you can get a good KB & mouse if you don't already have one. Also a moniter if you dont have one. If you are building it yourself, I'd recommend you watch the pc building guide on Youtube from Newegg and/or Linustechtips. Good luck fellow brother 

If you can spare a little bit more, then I'd recommend a White/Black NZXT H440. The S340 is very well build but it doesn't look like a premium product (well, it is quite a cheap case). All piano black metal with a cheap looking plastic window. The H440 looks absolutely beautiful, has excellent cable management space and comes standard with 4 fans. Seriously. Not even my 900D, a 350$ case, came with more than 4 fans.

Case info: https://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/143-h440-performance-mid-tower.html

yeah the h440 is a really nice case.

Stock cooling is *just fine* if you're not overclocking or running extreme loads 24/7.  The engineers designed them to be able to cool the unit perfectly well under stock speeds and voltages.  The enormous majority of CPUs sold the world over use stock coolers and never have thermal problems.

Even AIO closed loops add a radiator that has to be installed.  Agree that it's not rocket science, but it does add some difficulty figuring out airflow etc.

stock coolers do pretty terrible in 35 degree summers, though it is due to shitty air flow in the case and they can be pretty loud.

The stock coolers are horrible.  Not only are they shit for keeping temperatures at a low level but they are also a pain to try and install. 

I'd recommend something like the Antec Kuhler series or the Corsair H100i.  Just ~4 extra screws when compared to a fan cooler.

Regarding mechanical keyboards. Honestly, once you go mechanical you never go back. At least I've never known anyone who switched to mechanical only to go back to membrane afterwards. It's an entirely different feeling, and it's not terribly expensive. You can pick up a CM Storm Quickfire TK with Cherry MX Brown switches (great feeling, not as loud as blue ones) for around 75 bucks.

Definitely worth it if you find yourself with a bit of cash to spare.

Stock Coolers are horrible? 

im running Stock Intel Cooler on my 3570K. playing GTA 5 right now, and my CPU is sitting at ~65C. sure, I can get a better one. but the stock one isnt THAT bad. 

also, hard to install? wat? I just plugged it in to my motherboard over the CPU, easy. it wasn't any sort of pain whatsoever. 

Stock Coolers are horrible? 

yes

im running Stock Intel Cooler on my 3570K. playing GTA 5 right now, and my CPU is sitting at ~65C. sure, I can get a better one. but the stock one isnt THAT bad. 

run cinebench, older prime version or something else intensive and tell me how long it takes to reach 80°C and more. Since Ivybridge and the tothpaste below the heatspreader, it can really become an issue under hvy cpu load.

also, hard to install? wat? I just plugged it in to my motherboard over the CPU, easy. it wasn't any sort of pain whatsoever. 

Good for you - had plenty of Intel push pins in the past that failed me, especially after repeated use.

Stock coolers are perfectly fine if you're not overclocking. Although to be fair, you should be overclocking. Free performance!

And yeah, fuck those push pins.

i cant afford an aftermarket cooler :( even for my unlocked CPU lol.

Many motherboards will overclock in a built in menu. It's not like 10 years ago when you had to tweak all sorts of voltage levels and bus speeds.

Asassisn. I'll link you the cooler I got last month. It was like $20 after rebates

This beast was $20 after a $20 rebate.  I haven't actually installed it yet, but it is F-ing HUGE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118133

Yeah, it's literally go into your CMOS and change a 34 to a 41 or something. (The numbers depend on your CPU)

As for OCing a graphics card, same thing, except you can do that in your operating system with afterburner or riva tuner.

My motherboard even has an automatic tuner in the bios that changes all the settings it needs to automatically to get the best OC it can. Currently the best it can find is 3.6GHz lol, because stock cooler. You could probably do it better manually but for newbies it work great.