I imagine it gets updates regularly, or gets things added when it cannot guess.  I know it's asked me for names on items it could not guess after 50 or so questions.

It came close, but not on target to Hal Incandenza after about 60 questions, which is impressive. For some reason it guess Mario, despite me answering that the character I was thinking of was the youngest son (Mario is the 2nd son). 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Jest

From my observations it works by people using it. Somebody thinks of someone/something and answers questions accordingly, it doesn't work it out and asks you to write down the name of who you are thinking of, the next person to see if it can work out who that person/thing is will put down very similar/the same answers, it would cross reference it with everyone else's results and who they were thinking of, and then picks what it thinks is the best match. 

To begin with it wouldn't have known who anybody was, but after the 22,6131,837 games that have been played so far, it would have a fairly large list of people to draw conclusions from.

Defeated!

(Jake Chambers from Dark Tower Novels)

Tried same character again, and it got it by asking different questions :/

I tried to have it guess the T2 Medium Tank.  At the end of 70+ questions, it came up with the M4 Sherman, so... close, I guess.

Akinator OP keeps guessing anime girls

lemme try one from a hentai :^)

I tried Aila Jyrkiäinen and got back some shitter from Avatar The Last Airbender.

Fucking amerifats.

Ok I need to try a harder one.  He guessed Oddball in like 18 questions...

I tried for Never as well, and got "Your Internet Friend" with a picture of a naked fat guy.

same difference? :^)

Crap.  He guessed Croaker from the Black Company series in less questions...