Hîr-am-Helcaraxë

Ze german lights

So, the situation: I recently started to play light tanks, only two of them (T21 and T71) (Well M5 was ok but I played it for too few games...) so I'm far from knowing how is to play light tanks in general, but I enjoy them a lot, I never though I would. In fact I was pretty sure I shouldn't even bother with them given my current playstyle and ability. As with many other things in this game I was wrong, and I'm fine with it, I'm here to learn after all, not to see my ideas confirmed.

However, I've looked into light thanks to see some other fun opportunities. Chinese LTs seems really light mediums, I might give them a try in the future, I've the stock t1 atm, I'm saving free xp and I can't be bothered with playing t1/2/3 during an exam session, personal reason, it hurts me. Same reason with AMX 38 and 40, maybe in a couple months.

So I was thinking: what about the germans? I have a Pz I c there for fun but I never stepped into the Luchs for the above mentioned reasons, even if it's only t4. I could use a decent crew that is rotting in the Pz IV H, I kept it because it was my moneymaker when I didn't have any premium tank or other funnier tanks and because I though I coud start grinding for the E50/E50M but the tanks in between never inspired me to start.

So, what can you tell me about this line? Are there any particular stinkers or gems? Some bad stock grind? As far as I understand these tanks looking at numbers they seem pretty different from the only 2/3 lights I've played. Are there some constants in this line or things changes dramatically from one to another?

I'm in complete dark, I could use any help or insight, If you think I should not go up this way you can convince me to go for the E 50 M line if it's the case. Or try other nations light tanks if they're better.

I'm buying the Luchs anyway now, it's cheap and I've almost everything already unlocked.

RU 251 is a good light tank going down the leo line.  Can be a tough grind with out having all top mods and without six sense.  but that goes for pretty much all the light tanks.  the RU is different cuz it has more depression on the sides than infront and the HE pen is really good for other light tanks and certain meds.  But the E50 M is a great tank for randoms and depending on Clan for CW.  so you really cant lose either line you go down.  Just a warning about the Leo, its an ammo rack waiting to happen.

I've gone up the Ze German light tank line, and it's a real mixed bag of tanks, but oh so much fun.

The Luchs is a fucking blast to play. The 3cm autogun is the only gun to use, as the 5cm weighs too much and slows you down. The scout MM can put you in T7 games, but keeping safe and running riot in the second half of battle is what this tank does. It's not the best anti scout tho, as the gun can't quite clip another light tank.

The leopard LT is the bigger, slightly slower brother of the Luchs. Bigger clip means you can clip other lights most of the time, and seriously scare the shit of heavier tanks you see. Any issues you have with the Luchs are the same on the Leopard, just with higher MM. The transition to playing this tank should be easy.

The VK 28.01 is completely different to the previous 2 tanks. Gets a 10.5cm derp for awesome anti scout and arty/light TD assassinations, but you must get relatively close. Good top speed but slower to get to it. Decent HP but 1 shots can still happen to you. Was disgustingly OP with the HEAT, but it's now tamer.

The Aufklarung Panther is not a scout. It's camo is shit. Think of it more like an overtiered Cromwell with better gun handling but worse MM. Ramming is fun in this thing, but watch what you are ramming tho. Gun is sexily good, but poor alpha. Getting replaced soon, so this might be a moot point.

RU 251 is the fucking sex. Awesome camo, great gun (but poor velocity tho on AP) good hit points but armour so thin tin foil blushes. Great at scouting, amazing top speed but takes a while yo get to it. One of the best tier 8 light tanks. Can't brawl for shit, but your doing it wrong if you play like that with this tank anyways.

Just my 2 pence on the matter.

Take this with a pinch of salt, maybe its just a bad player advice, but im have a ton more funon the luchs with the 5cm and intensive gold spam. With its agilty if you can pick a heavy alone , like a T29 or a Tiger you can circle it all day long until he is dead, also, 130 aon the prem round is good enough to get some side shots at range. I disliked the 3cm because you cant clip anything bar lower tier TDs or some arties.  It comes up you, try both guns and keep the one you like, both are fun but the 5 cm performs better with me

edit, while it can be fun on the luchs, the 3cm is the only way to go on the leo since it doesnt feels as agile as the luchs and the 3cm gets a better clip

I don't think it's bad advice at all, I just found the extra mobility with the 3cm gun was more in how I played the Tank than the 5cm. Granted it's better at circle staging targets to death, but it's all to easy to get rushed by other tanks if you don't get out, as the alpha and pen can make it quite slow to kill. I also had the benefit of going through the PzKpfw 38 NA with the 5cm gun first, so the 3cm on the Luchs was a novelty.

It's just how you want to play, moar DPM but less burst. It will define how you go about using the Luchs. Good shout on the Leopard tho, ONLY use the 3cm as the Tank needs all the mobility it can have, plus more shots and quicker reload.

I've gone up the Ze German light tank line, and it's a real mixed bag of tanks, but oh so much fun.

The Luchs is a fucking blast to play. The 3cm autogun is the only gun to use, as the 5cm weighs too much and slows you down. The scout MM can put you in T7 games, but keeping safe and running riot in the second half of battle is what this tank does. It's not the best anti scout tho, as the gun can't quite clip another light tank.

The leopard LT is the bigger, slightly slower brother of the Luchs. Bigger clip means you can clip other lights most of the time, and seriously scare the shit of heavier tanks you see. Any issues you have with the Luchs are the same on the Leopard, just with higher MM. The transition to playing this tank should be easy.

The VK 28.01 is completely different to the previous 2 tanks. Gets a 10.5cm derp for awesome anti scout and arty/light TD assassinations, but you must get relatively close. Good top speed but slower to get to it. Decent HP but 1 shots can still happen to you. Was disgustingly OP with the HEAT, but it's now tamer.

The Aufklarung Panther is not a scout. It's camo is shit. Think of it more like an overtiered Cromwell with better gun handling but worse MM. Ramming is fun in this thing, but watch what you are ramming tho. Gun is sexily good, but poor alpha. Getting replaced soon, so this might be a moot point.

RU 251 is the fucking sex. Awesome camo, great gun (but poor velocity tho on AP) good hit points but armour so thin tin foil blushes. Great at scouting, amazing top speed but takes a while yo get to it. One of the best tier 8 light tanks. Can't brawl for shit, but your doing it wrong if you play like that with this tank anyways.

Just my 2 pence on the matter.

This guy pretty much nailed it. I personally love the Luchs very deeply. It's helped to fill the void left in my heart when the godly OP T-50 was nerfed into the ground. It's really a great tank with either gun honestly, but I'd say the 3 cm is probably better. FYI keep the luchs for tournaments, if you can bring tier 4 lights, you bring the luchs, no exceptions. Leo can be fun but at first it may not seem that great coming off of the luchs, which has the same gun (even if it's improved in most ways) and better mobility. Overall, this is a very fun line and it leads to some great tanks. The Leo PT A isn't exactly good... but it prepares you for the Leo 1 very well, and honestly does great in toons with an E50. 

Now if you're looking for advice on good scouting, (don't lynch me wotlabs community) I actually recommend taking a look around Tazilon's website at Tazilon.net. You won't find anything too groundbreaking there, but it is a good place to learn the basics of scouting. You could probably find some decent guides on here as well, though Tazilon's site does a pretty decent job of compiling the important info about scouting. Just ignore his rants about how WN8 is the great Satan.

Good luck in your scouting endeavors!

+1 for www.tazillon.net

I'd say weather you go 5cm or 3cm on the Luchs or Leopard is dependant on playstyle and/or $$.

I like the 5cm on the leopard for it's versitility, but swap in the 3cm when I'm low on $$.

I usually stick with the 3cm on the Luchs because it's so OP/fun to clip out tanks when you get a low teir battle. It's crazy strong against teir 3s and 4s.

Have fun the Germain light line is one of my favourite lines.

Though personally my favourite tanks in the game are the T71 and the ELC AMX.

Thanks guys. Nice recap FreddyBoy, thank you!

It seems a pretty fun line overall, I just bought the Leopard lt. the Luchs was exactly how you described, the only thing I didn't like was the clip potential compared to the clip reload time, but I guess it balanced, it would be op if it was better.

Should I put my decent (not-totally-new) crew in the Leo or do I wait for the 28.01?

At the moment the T71 is my favourite tank too (or one of the first 3, but I didn't play that many tanks so...), I don't expect this line to be better for me, I'm just looking for some fun!

For more question related to a single tank I'll look up for guides or other threads, this was what I was looking for!

I didn't knew tazilion.net, thank you. I read the new guide here on wotlabs called "Scouting: where to Start?" and already helped a lot!

A lot of the pros here would stop you from going to tazilon, what he teaches is good for basics but will cap you at a pretty low skill level. Jacg123 is considered one of the best light tank players around, and there are a lot of players here that I would rather get advice from.

The Luchs and Leo 16 both have the same top speed. Luchs has better power to weight ratio and therefore better acceleration.

3cm autocannon is godly with a two or three skill crew. Reload in my Luchs is just a little over 12 seconds. Leo 16 is something like 16 seconds but has an additonal round, two or three rounds per squeeze in the clip. Luchs has good camo value as well. With BiA, Vents, and Optics looking at very close to max view range. Pretty easy to abuse vison games with either of them.

Overall I prefer the Luchs as killing a low Hp Tiger or bully T29 is the ultimate tear extractor. Leo 16 will bounce some shots due to angled armor, shit depression, slower acceleration but very similar to Luchs.

I'm in the Leopard now and getting close to unlocking the 28.01, with the ultimate goal of getting the new Aweful Panther replacement when it comes online.  Should I jump to the 28 as soon as I unlock it?  Is it better overall than the Leopard?

I'm in the Leopard now and getting close to unlocking the 28.01, with the ultimate goal of getting the new Aweful Panther replacement when it comes online.  Should I jump to the 28 as soon as I unlock it?  Is it better overall than the Leopard?

Depends on who you ask. Personally I liked the Leopard's burst.

VK28.01's performance depends heavily on what targets it runs into.

Both are fairly mediocre.

I didn't knew about an aufklärung replacement because i'm nub, had to go and search. The news is from almost 2 month ago and now I'm unocling the 28.01 like Burrito, should I stop at the 28.01 and wait for this new SP or is it not coming soon enough?

Ok nevermind, is coming in 9.9 apparently, I found it myself, should've searched better before asking...

- AFK Panther will be replaced by Spähpanzer I.C. (SPIC) in 0.9.9

http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.it/2015/06/storm-answers-on-stream.html

Edited by Hîr-am-Helcaraxë
I'm a lazy but impatient noob