I'm getting a SSD for the first time (standard Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, because I've seen it work in friends' PCs) and would like to couple it with a new i7 processor.

I've been looking around and there are a shit ton of choices to make for i7s, and I was wondering what you all would recommend for i7s?

I don't plan to overclock anything as I don't/haven't done that. I would like a powerful one, and I would like to keep it around or less than $400. Faster is better, right?

If you all could throw some insight my way as to which you think would work well for playing games/streaming video on ultra settings, that'd be great! Thanks in advance!

An i7 for gaming is overkill really it has little or no tangible benefit over an i5. Unless you intend to be using a lot of CPU intensive like video or image editing, encoding etc. Also there are few programmes designed to take advantage of the main advantage that an i7 has over an i5 which is hyperthreading.

My suggestion would be, if you want the newest available stuff is to get the i5 4690K which has a base clock of 3.5Ghz and boosts itself up to 3.9Ghz when its stressed. If you insist on the i7 however then the 4790K is the one to pick with 4Ghz base and 4.4Ghz boost.

On the subject of SSDs the Samsung is a good choice but there isn't any harm in looking around for a deal.

I frequently record locally using xsplit (paid OBS before OBS was a thing) StarCraft2 for the group of guys I play tanks/other games with, so with my current processor it slows down framerates and has stalls every now and then when recording at ~~720p, which I would both want to record at 1080 and not have it lag, so I guess that's a better reasoning behind wanting to move up to the i7s

Are you going to change the platform/mobo as well? Do you have a dedicated graphic card? If both are positive, go for Xeon E3 1231v3 or 1241v3. It's i7 47## without the overclocking and without integrated graphics and they cost 250-270USD. Both of them are sold on 1150 socket.

I actually got a E3 1241 ASRock H97 combo (purchased yesterday, in transit) to upgrade from my old platform.

The only two things from my computer i'm looking to replace/change is adding a SSD and moving from an i5 to an i7. I'd prefer intel as it's what i'm familiar with. I understand it might not be cost-efficient, but ease of mind is worth a little more price for me (especially since my father used to work for intel)

Xeon is Intel, E3 is the same core as i7 (1231 is i7 4770 but it has 8 threads on 4 cores as compared to 4 on 4 for i7) and the difference in price between E3 and i7 is 80ish bucks. If your current i5 is socket 1150 (instead of older 1155) it will be just a CPU switch, nothing else will change.

I'll look into that, thanks.

What socket type is your current mobo? I use an i7 4770k which is a 1150 socket type, and it's future proof (for the time being huehue) - it can run all games on max settings and can handle frapsing 1080@60fps. Mine is overclocked to 4.6GHz though cooled with a H100i, SSD's, GTX770 etc. 

The K is only because I overclock mine, but it isn't really necessary to overclock it. In New Zealand, the K version is only $40 more (These are NZD so it would be cheaper in US)

ePOdTvY.jpg

One last thing. Make sure that your board supports the CPU architecture you're going for: older 1150 boards might only support original Haswell and not Haswell Refreshed architecture. You can check it on your mobo's manufacturer's site. Depending on the outcome you might have to upgrade bios or go with the older architecture (it's relevant for both i7 and Xeon E3). New Intel chipsets (H97 and Z97) support Haswell Refreshed out of box.

I have a 1150 as well. For reference, my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/P3kHZL

I guess this should turn more into a, what can I improve thread?

Its obviously your money so you can spend it how you want, but objectively speaking there's absolutely no rational reason to upgrade anything on that PC except for adding an SSD. You aren't going to get any additional performance from an i7 that you couldn't easily get by applying a mild overclock to your i5, and your current CPU/GPU combo will chew up anything you throw at it today or for at least the next year.

If you insist on an i7, the 4790k will be your best choice... but you just simply won't get the sort of return on your investment that I think you're hoping for. I know you said you don't plan to overclock, but you already have a very good aftermarket cooler that's going to waste.  If you want i7 performance, just bump the base clock on your 4670 to 4k and call it a day.  You'll get the same performance as a stock 4790 and you'll save yourself a couple hundred bucks (assuming you'd try to sell your 4670 if you upgraded).

I second the 4790k, but if your system is x99 based you would have to go for the 5820k.

If you won't be overclocking, don't get a K. Waste of your money.

the higher stock clocks is actualy a good reason to get the 4790k.

the higher stock clocks is actualy a good reason to get the 4790k.

If you want higher clock speeds getting a K version is a very bad reason. You get a K for overclocking, getting it for higher factory clock speeds is silly.

You have a 4570K? I see no reason to upgrade, unless you're going for like a 4930K or something bigger, there will be no difference in anything...