kolni

Kolni goes through the WoT maps

First off, these are my thoughts and what I've concluded from playing these maps. If you have any valuable input please share, it's meant to be informational for the less skilled and for those who seek to learn.

I'll also do maps a few at a time, because writing for over 30 maps in one go ain't gonna be pretty lel

I will also take replay requests/specific walk throughs of things you don't understand or need to get into further

I will share thoughts on both spawns if they differ a lot (for example Abbey and Airfield plays similarly meanwhile Arctic Region and Sand River plays differently depending on the spawn you have) and I will share my thoughts on Assault modes from both spawns as well, I don't play encounter so sadly won't be giving any input on it.

(Will also add drawing of some form of heatmap how I play them when I have a better internet connection and can actually upload them)

Linking the micropositioning thread here because I'm gonna make use of it, get it

For the Heatmaps, red is firing lines, yellow is spotting, black is movement and grey circles are spots where you engage

The Maps:

Abbey:

North Spawn heatmap:

7VDKsi3.png

South Spawn heatmap:

eGSMJiL.png

I almost always take an opportunistic middle shot in anything that has the speed to get there, if there's arty I'd rather not stick around too long in case arty positioned themselves to shoot straight down the Abbey lane. 

From there on the most consistent play in general for me seems to be 1-2 line, in a medium I'd go fast and use the gaps to get in some middle shots before anything has time to actually push up on me, and then either dig myself in or push if I have support. 

The thing with this flank is that once you win it you relieve so much pressure from your team, it means gaining map control on half the map and not your base is much easier to defend from the other flanks than it is from this one. 

Another play is to stick around the middle if you happen to win the Abbey (if you don't I'd honestly not bother) and play opportunistically, this means that you'll need to be very aware when people are crossing the gaps on the west flank and where the actual shot opportunities happen on the east flank, and when. If you want to be productive here you need to be make your shots count, because you're not get as many, you'll also not share any of your HP on the other flanks which means two things. 1) Conserving HP means carrying options expand and 2) Your teammates will take HP they might not've needed to.

These two can be weighed against eachother endlessly but both plays are consistent enough to be viable plays, I just prefer the west engagement because it's always gonna be a fight there, no matter the tank lineup or skill setups, and if the rare chance happens that it's not, you have won the most important flank for free and gained a large piece of map control, and the map honestly becomes into a farmfest more than a fight for the win since you already have control of half the map. 

Airfield:

Heatmaps:

BngJKn8.png

b6Wi2ZL.png

If I'm in anything fast I'd go to the balcony, you're hard to hit and if you're lucky you get people crossing down below giving you free shots. If they don't you still have enough options to either try and focus out the half island thingy or the main engagement in the middle, the corners from the balconies into the middle make you able to sidescrape and avoid enemy TD fire coming from the back. 

Once you establish what's where and where the danger is, there's three things I usually do, and they depend on where the enemy team is (I tend to go where the biggest fight is, damage whoring best whoring :doge: ) I either 1) Stay on the balcony and keep farming opportunistic damage; good if you're outnumbered in the middle or if they're pushing the island, you're hard to dig out and you have the edge on shot opportunities here. 2) Drop down the balcony and push the central route from below into the middle, giving crossfires or at least forcing them back, and then dealing with situation from there. 3) Push north of the rock separating the teams from eachother on the middle, because pushing right through the middle isn't arty safe and TD's are usually pre-aimed. Here you can go at least a bit out to get more damage in in comparison to the middle route. If they have too much here you'll have to be patient and also be opportunistic. 

If I'm not in anything fast, the middle is still the most viable option, slower tanks hopefully means more alpha damage, which means you can opportunistic as well, and if you get the opportunity to climb the balcony safely, I really suggest you do it. Damage here isn't something you can force out of it, but you will make a big impact if your alpha is high, and the sidescraping into the middle from there is arty safe/TD safe so you'll be able to bully their team back down, and if you're lucky you have a team seizing the opportunity crossing the northern side of the rock when they see that and wreck them. 

If you're not able to get up there then there's still viable options, pushing north of the rock is always a viable option, be aware that this requires timing though. It's not something that gets done just by being there, there's still the chance of TD's in the back and them actually having a supreme force in the middle, when patience and cautiousness will save you more than being aggressive will.

Arctic Region:

Heatmap:

flELS3i.png

Northeast Spawn: 

Fast Tanks:

This depends a lot on what lineup the enemy team has, but if you're fast you wanna get a hold of the northernmost flank pretty fast, while it may not let your snipers that you'll inevitably have behind you put in some damage and help, you'll probably end up taking less damage anyway if you get control of it fast. After you do that you just need to check how the south is doing, how many tanks you have there respectively enemy tanks are there, conclude if there might be anything waiting before you push around the corner at north and then proceed to either do it or go through the middle instead if it might not be worth it, you'll wanna get in on their heavies from behind at least before your heavies eat them up or help them out if they're losing. If they lose you still have the opportunity to flex back middle and up north to base to defend. 

Slow (boring) tanks:

I prefer the bottom route of the south engagement, it's very simple and easy to play, proper angling and some support can work wonders here. If there's no arty you can also take the rock and put in some fast damage before they get into position. 

The problem with the south flank is that if they have lots of campers in the back it's a hard camp to break without support from the north coming in. Especially if you're without depression. Anyway this flank is a regular pokefest/brawl, it should be nothing new under the sun. 

Southwest Spawn:

Heatmap:

drK4tCM.png

Fast Tanks:

If you can I suggest you push right up north and to the camping snipe hill right away. You might run into stuff doing this but with proper support it's worth it (don't keep pushing if you're alone duh) and it denies their snipers from the hill any chance of getting damage. Be aware that they might have stuff sitting in base if you're poking. The push here should work consistently once you learn how to do it properly and usually wins enough map control fast enough to give your team the edge. From there on you should just seek out the spots where you can deal the most damage. 

There's also ways to playing the south in mediums but it's honestly too complicated for me to explain, it involves a lot of poking during reloads on the bottom flank and then using depression or turret armour to bully anything trying to come down, once it's cleaned out your heavies should still move up and win the flank for you as well (doable if your team is much heavier than the other and north flank would be suicide for example)

Slow stuff:

Play the bottom line, it's an easy push most of the time and if it's not it means that there's lots of damage to be made. Then you push up hard to and get sideshots onto their heavies/TD's that are down, after that you should abuse whatever armour you've got to the stuff camping the ridgeline and then move up or move back depending on the situation. 

Cliffs:

map-cliff-sm.jpg

North Spawn:

Heatmap:

gu7qELl.png

Unless you're a TD or a german brick I suggest you play the middle, there's loads of early damage and many possibilites to influence the game, go to the for tips on how to play this. You'll be able to influence this enough before the bend around the lighthouse even becomes viable at all, so if you're a heavy this will suit you perfectly, you'll get early shots in on your opponents if you'd plan on going that line later, or if you'd wanna go around the donut and yolo stuff like I would in a medium, be aware that people have started pushing E3 on this map a lot which means you'll have to able to deal with it sooner or later at least. 

South Spawn:

Heatmap:

o90EJOH.png

E3 is almost always superior unless you're a brick still, even in an IS-4 or something you can still climb there and reign supreme and bully everything coming there. After that you can either start pushing on the enemy side of the donut or get safe onto your own and proceed into the actual middle, or go all the way down to the bend around the lighthouse for support if they'd need it. After that it honestly shouldn't be much left of the enemy team anyway so farmfest is all yours!

Never ever play the 1 line on this map. Ever. Shame on you if you do. 

El Halluf:

Heatmaps:
z3Rbnl5.png

tZPYM3I.png

Once again referring to the for an awesome hulldown spot on the north. The north engagement is literally the place you'll ever wanna be, because it's the most important one and where you can always be sure there will be damage to be dealt. 

If you have depression I suggest you play the ledges, if you don't you can play along side the ledge for somehull down action (not arty safe though), or you should push up as fast possible even if it means taking damage from their ledge pokers, you need to take control of that corner before they do. After doing that and after their heavies have crossed as well, just sitting still, you should move along the ledges and push it up far enough so you can get rear shots on the camping heavies they should have sitting waiting for pokers in A1. (I can put pictures on this if it needs further explaining)

After that it should be a regular push down their base, or a swift return to base depending on the situation.

This map plays about the same from both spawns, at least while doing the north engagement which is the one you should be doing. 

Ensk:

North Spawn:

Heatmap:

3x6wo4k.png

The north spawn on this map has one big advantage, the window. I go there in anything unless I'm bottom tier and undergunned for what I'm about to shoot at. The intel you'll gain from just being there is also very helpful outside of the damage you'll do. After doing that for meds I'd go straight to westmost of the railroad track lines, see if anything's there and then bust my way down for flank shots. The shots you get here are so good that it'll change a loss from a win (if your team has managed to keep them there at least), there's a tree you can knock down for #OPcamosnipez as well. After doing that you'll have either won right away or you can go in from behind/ return to your base in case you need to defend. It's quite the nice play really. 

In slower stuff I tend to help the city out though, this just means opportunistic damages until a good enough opening presents itself, then you push through and don't let anyone else hog your precious maddamagez

South Spawn:

Heatmap:

rk3NlGa.png

Almost a mirrored play here, except for the lack of a window to troll, however I do seem to find the railroad track working better from this side, with some shots into the enemy windows as well.

This line plays very cautiously, don't just jump window to window if you don't have shots because you probably aren't sure of what might be where, do that once the enemy tanks reveal themselves a bit more, and then you can start flanking the heavy lanes.

Erlenberg: (Plays the same on both standard and assault basically)

North Spawn:

Heatmap:

eNbPJgM.png

This map provides a lot nice spots to be in and especially on the west flank, which tends to be the heavy lane (at least on EU meta). If you're fast with some turret armour (russian med, type 59 etc), take the spotting location (where those two yellow lines come from) because your turret will save you from any shots that they might actually hit and the odds are they won't hit you at all, firing here gets you spotted though so be careful if arty's got a hard on for you. 

Otherwise just go to the supportive spot behind it, most heavies are able to make there in time as well.

After that and the #maddamagez farmed by you and your team there, you can either go back and snipe against their hill (rarely works though, only if you're low HP) or you can move along the castle from where you were spotting to get proxies on any heavies sitting along the eastmost wall of the castle. If they aren't there I suggest you move into the actual castle area and spot what they've got on the hill, use the rocks not get rekt by them and hopefully start watching your team move in on them, from there on it's just a cakewalk to win the map. 

However if the enemy team is stacked with heavies and yours isn't, the other flank might be better suited. It's not as consistent (for me) but it's sure as hell not a bad one. Play with the terrain to advance and get hulldown, then start taking potshots to steadily shave them off one by one. If they push on you can also escape to the northernmost ridge of the east flank, if there's lots of people there it ain't exactly easy to push it. 

South Spawn:

Heatmap:

9UxnBaS.png

While this may look like I prefer the east flank, I don't. The west flank is always better if you have support than the east flank is. 

I always take an early shot or two from the hill, depending on if enemies have moved down the road there (usually just a scout, but sometimes meds or heavies) I stay, or I go right to C1/2 and take the fight from there, you have spots where you can hulldown bully, sidescrape somewhat and ridges to play depression with, proper playing of this makes the enemy team melt so fast. 

But as usual, if the enemies are too stacked the other flank is more viable, I prefer to take an aggressive position, and play it as you can see on the heatmap, can't really explain it more clearly than that. 

Karelia (both standard and assault):

Standard:

Heatmaps:

teVnoID.png

MygHzrt.png

The hill is still everything, even though it's now climbable from the other side it's undoubtedly the most important part of the map for control. The lower route next to the hill gives awesome little spots for hulldown opportunities and free shots on anything trying to climb, while them still having the high ground, so be careful, don't push too far unless you think your team will win the hill. Otherwise you brawl the hill for the win of it, it's one of those games where you kinda have to expose yourself to be able to win at all. After you have control over the hill it's a slow push awaiting, take whatever safe shots you can get and then go full bananza when your team starts pushing. Nothing special really. I was going to to mention the OP bush but it's removed ;_;

Assault:

Attacking:

Heatmap: 

xt3CVpt.png

Both sides are very much playable. I do prefer the left side though, just because of tank selection I have. Fast things can get into position early, great hulldown opportunities and take out their force easily with some support. Once their main force is gone you just go ballstothewall aggressive and force a win out of the flank, then the rest is cleanup. If your team fails to win this side it's hell of a lot of trouble for them later on, once the pushing tanks here take out your arty/flank your heavies on the right side, you're absolutely done for. There'll be no coming back to win it, the crossfires are too much. 

The thing with this is that the west flank also plays out faster than the east one, which means the flanking will happen earlier = more important in general. 

However when the spawn generator trolls you, I prefer to go down the rock and spot their heavies crossing, after doing that I'd either start pushing up there for some early and easy shots, or go to the middle entrance to their base, spotting stuff and letting our base campers snipe them. Aside from that it plays pretty much the same. Establishing vision control on the middle makes for easy shots on your team and severely limits your enemies support. From middle you will also have shots on the west flank in case shit was about to go to shit. 

Defending:

Heatmap:

OzvANZc.png

The Defense on this map is not an actual defense, I always push the 1 line, winning it means so many opportunities for your team to do whatever they'd like, which means you should go aggressive and up to the part where you'll hull down, and start taking shots on the guys hiding behind the rocks (or if anything pushes further forward). If you have close to no support you're going to have to be very careful, dig yourself in and make it hard for them to dig you out. You're likely to have TD's in the back to rek them if they push further than the rock itself, which is why you'll be strong there even if you don't actually have any TD's in the back. Fear is awesome, right? Be aggressive, make sure you make them go through hell. After that you can literally do whatever you'd like because you just gained an infinite amount of flanking opportunities so kudos.

Overlord:

Heatmaps:

pVwgM0z.png

t9jMAkH.png

I like to play the bowl, it's really the only place where you can play with both vision and armour at the same time. Poking a bit to see if any scouts are yoloing the actual bowl, then farming off anything sitting on the ridges, and moving around constantly because arty. You should usually move along the ridge because different opportunities come by all the time. And I often find myself doing more damage into the middle than into my actual flank on the east by that, after that however you should start being aggressive when the enemies have started to fall behind on HP/kills. Then you can push through the bowl or around it, and start farming damage. It's essentially over because it's such a large piece of the map if you gain control over the middle. After that it's just cleanup. I never found this map very hard to play and I don't understand why others do.

Swamp:

North Spawn:

Heatmap:

GrKGMIw.png

This map is special in the essence of how it's played out. This map requires good timing and patience, not something very common to other maps because you can't just force through a viable enough push without playing the patience game first. 

From the north you'll want play the westmost part of the ridge, you'll get shots on the enemy heavies crossing up north and then you should ideally proceed to soften the middle out. Make sure any scout down the middle is taken care of, and after that just wait, play opportunistically. It'll take time but usually the first team that grows impatient will lose this map when the stalemate happens. If you find the middle unplayable you can always go try and get the 1 line done, it's usually tricky because there'll be big TD's sitting there waiting, and you can't really ever count on your team to support you. However if you do get this done it means that the opportunity of playing the middle opens up, even if you'd get spotted there's not as much to shoot you. So I'd either keep pushing, or flex back to the middle ridge, drop down and go as far east as possible just to avoid any unnecessary damage. Then you start playing against their ridge, and the game should be won. You're denying them damage by spotting them which allows your team to move in on them making sure it's a win. 

Crossing the middle is also what usually breaks the stalemate if there is one, timing it right is key and if it isn't it can result quite badly. 

South Spawn:

Heatmap:

QAZ3Lmq.png

Play the ridge, if anyone's even trying to cross south it's a happy day for you, because you'll get to farm them off with ease. After that you should play the ridge, be patient and just make sure they're softened out. Once about 6-7 tanks from the enemy team is removed you should cross the middle, it's likely that it's the hill pokers that have died or the main force doing the 1 line push, which means you should cross the middle, spot them and soften them out more. Then either keep playing their ridge or go around and push from the A line. This is something I do solo most of the time and it works out. 

Crossing middle on this map is what breaks the stalemate and once again, make sure the timing is right, no scouts to spot you on the middle (avoiding TD fire from the sides) spot aggressively. 

Windstorm: (shitstorm)

Heatmaps:

avddw7z.jpg

UzZswRT.jpg

First of all, this map is complete fucking shit. This is not a good map at all. It's far too inconsistent and way too much unusable terrain for this map to be any fun for anyone. 

In heavies I have found a solid way to play the map though, and it's pushing over the southernmost bridge right away, when you do that you can stop half their heavy force from advancing and you should be able to get a couple free shots in, after doing that you should push around on the outside, while doing that you have to make sure your own team is starting to move in because you ain't gonna able to finish it alone. After doing that you should just seek out the enemy main force and rek it, it usually works if your team doesn't take too long pushing in on their heavies. 

In a medium or a light it's a lot harder though, you can only really force damage out of the middle before things start to play out, I personally believe the north is complete suicide and I absolutely despise that flank, which means you'll simply have to be patient and to some degree be opportunistic before you can actually start to sink some real damage in (either flanking the heavy lane or the north). Once again, this map shouldn't have been in the game. This and Pearl River belongs in a fucking trash can

I just realised these map pictures are outdated ;_; will update with the heatmaps tomorrow!

Its nice and all but one of the maps I feel that we really need one of these on is OVERLORD cause that map I've seen is just people running around scared of arty and shit

I just did them in alphabetical order, Overlord and Swamp will be made as well!

Thanks for your thoughts kolnidur, most interesting.

I would love it if you could do a swamp tactic, as I always struggle to what to do in that map in any tank I'm in.

Camp harder than the other team unfortunately seems to be the most viable way to play this turd of a map...

Thanks for your thoughts kolnidur, most interesting.

Camp harder than the other team unfortunately seems to be the most viable way to play this turd of a map...

Nope it isn't, however the map requires patience because the design of the map makes it take time to unravel the events to come, in comparison to other maps where you can force a push pretty easily depending on timing.

I'll do Swamp right away for you fgts <3

edit: swamp is done

Requesting Windstorm. That map is the most annoying map in the game - Swamp might be dumb but at least there is a clear-cut hierarchy between the available moves while Windstorm is like rolling a dice. Of course you have to lanes on the outside but both are pretty useless if you manage to control the middle. However, unlike on other maps, there is no structure within the middle. So yeah, if you have any idea beyond sitting tight and being passively opportunistic on Windstorm, I'd gladly hear it. 

You mentioned in another thread that someone named Tyne told you how Stalingrad should be played.  Can you reveal the secret to the rest of us?  

With regard to Arctic Region:

I have found A2 to be incredibly strong from both sides given that you either have a fast tank with a good turret or good snap shotting characteristics coupled with good gun depression. If you can get hold of it asap - especially from the north - you gain a strong position that allows for neat side shots into enemies that have pushed to B2/3. The position is a bit stronger from the north because you have more space to disappear from arty focus and have to possible spots to take shots into enemies but from the south spawn it creates a very good way to methodically clean out the entire north by creeping up below their gun lines, taking out targets on your way.

The only real consideration, especially from the south spawn, is that you need at least some backup, otherwise you will be too exposed, so better check that on your way there.

Just now, SuperTheBoss said:

really appreciate all the work you put into this. Any chancy you could do Pilsen? I hear a lot of people say just win the western brawl zone but I've had mixed results with that strategy.

I'm currently working on something way bigger, you just wait for it :D 

4 hours ago, Kolni said:

I'm currently working on something way bigger, you just wait for it :D 

I was just gonna come ask for Murovanka.  both flanks seem useless for most non brawling tanks.  Looking forward to this though.

You saved the happy dayz till last. Your shitstorm analysis made me hilariously happy, because everytime I
get this map smth inside me dies. If I ever get brain cancer the shitstorm map for sure is the catalyst
As a matter of fact, Ill be content with watching X3 or old Poltto games  and avoid this cancerous game
for quite a while

18 minutes ago, ProxyCentauri said:

As a matter of fact, Ill be content with watching X3 or old Poltto games  and avoid this cancerous game
for quite a while

I guess u mean x3n4. So its Xena just with l33t numbers. Just wanted to say that in case u didn't know :3