RNG in this game is crazy.

In my Cleveland at @ 10 km I average 9 hits per salvo broadside, and at the same distance in a Fuso for instance be lucky as hell to score 3 out of 12 hits.  WTF RNG?  I know the BB guns hit harder, but 8 rpm vs 2 surely makes up the difference, especially when the hit ration is so high.  DD's seem to be exceedingly accurate as well.  It especially bothers me when on a ship like the Fuso 10 km is short to med range and on most CA's and DD's 10 km is med to long range plus the fact that when the smaller ships spam HE and continually keep the other ship on fire it compounds the damage dealt. So unless a BB scores a big citadel hit and hammers the smaller ship (RNG again)they're screwed.

Granted it's an arcade style game and the high HP pools of BBs are given to account for their armor ect, but most of the 5" and 6" guns on the smaller classes would not even pen most BBs irl. 

Is anyone else noticing this?  I always kind of envisioned a rock/paper/scissors type thing between the ship classes including CVs.

Is my logic flawed or would it be a gameplay issue if the only thing that can regularly sink a BB is another BB, torpedoes or aircraft?

Edited by xWulffx

this and the Aim mod made me stop playing.

WG is again balancing insane alpha with retarded RNG

Speaking of which the aim mod got broken with the 0.3.1 patch a month ago.

and if you dislike RNG, play DDs and CL/CAs :beard:

Speaking of which the aim mod got broken with the 0.3.1 patch a month ago.

and if you dislike RNG, play DDs and CL/CAs :beard:

see i didnt know because i havent played since before 3.1 and my issues with the game go beyond the RNG

That is my main concern about the game: RNG.

At least in tanks, there was a certain standard for RNG, but in WoWS, RNG is all over the place (or it feels that way because a lot of the stats are not yet explained ex. armor, but there is an increasing understanding of it).

RNG drove me away from BB's.  And the .31 made me say lolnope to BB's.  Just too damn RNG dependent for me

RNG for damage is basically non-existant. RNG for dispersion (combined with client desync) on the other hand...

This^^ The new armor mechanics that got introduced with 0.3.1 made it to where you can actually use armor and angling to bounce/ricochet shots, but there isn't anything where you can view the how the armor's modeled in game. Based on what we've been told, there's no RNG in actual damage; however, you do get set damage numbers per shell based on if it penned and where it hit. I believe bounces deal light damage where ricochets and over-pens do not, but I have to look.

Dispersion has been RNG based since alpha which follows a natural progression based on caliber. The only other RNG in the game that I can think of is if HE will set you on fire.

I don't actually think the RNG in WoWS is any worse than the RNG in WoT, it's just that all the RNG is in the dispersion, while in WoT the RNG is spread over accuracy, pen and damage. Also, most of the complaints about "waah dispersion" RNG is because the BB players don't ever close with the enemy to a range where the dispersion is far less of a factor. Under 10km a BB is fucking deadly to anything it meets, including destroyers.

The biggest issue right now is that the game is way too opaque in it's description of game mechanics. I bet most people would misattribute gameplay mistakes in WoT as "RNG" (and often they do) if they didn't have the resources that we've scraped together after four years on WoTlabs.

The lack of dispersion in damage is weird though. I mean, if anything it's kind of proved that rolling max on every penetrating hit is somehow harder to get your head around. It also leads to a lot of alphaspiking when you get lucky on pens too, rather than a more gradual damage progression.

RNG for damage is basically non-existant. RNG for dispersion (combined with client desync) on the other hand...

^^^ Completely this.   How far away are you shooting with the Fuso versus the Cleveland?    Be sure to look at the dispersion for all the guns before deciding on play style.    Some ships have to play closer or accept less than 30% hit rate.   If the game is going to be vicious and short sitting back and sniping with a BB is not going to win the battle.

Get the accuracy module rather than the rate of fire module where appropriate.

I don't actually think the RNG in WoWS is any worse than the RNG in WoT, it's just that all the RNG is in the dispersion, while in WoT the RNG is spread over accuracy, pen and damage. Also, most of the complaints about "waah dispersion" RNG is because the BB players don't ever close with the enemy to a range where the dispersion is far less of a factor. Under 10km a BB is fucking deadly to anything it meets, including destroyers.

The biggest issue right now is that the game is way too opaque in it's description of game mechanics. I bet most people would misattribute gameplay mistakes in WoT as "RNG" (and often they do) if they didn't have the resources that we've scraped together after four years on WoTlabs.

The problem I'm running across with getting within 10km is getting there and not getting focused...

The Colorado is bad for dispersion but I still nail citadels at 10k. Go watch the CO vid I put up. I don't think so ever engage at a distance of over 11km. Plus that boat loves to get right up in people's face.

If you want to throw up replays I'm happy to review them.

One begets the other.  If the shots have random dispersion, then the damage said shots do is... random.

A normal die has 6 sides, those sides are known (damage).  Roll away, the roll is random (dispersion).  The result... is random, (1-6).  Now you can certainly try to weigh the die in your favor by aiming at known spots, but... the roll will always be random.  

The Colorado is bad for dispersion but I still nail citadels at 10k. Go watch the CO vid I put up. I don't think so ever engage at a distance of over 11km. Plus that boat loves to get right up in people's face.

If you want to throw up replays I'm happy to review them.

The point was that example showed that RNG and dispersion in WoWs currently is nothing like in WoT unless you're talking about arty.  It's not a good thing when gunnery is similar to the most hated and poorly implemented aspect of your most successful game.

Just as an FYI, you can only have a small approximation of reality in a game that has ONE person controlling the actions of an entire ship.  The gun directors were trying to just hit the enemy ship, not trying to take out turret #3, hitting the ship itself was a chore enough.  There are no swells and pitching seas modeled in the game, no effect for the change in aim point based on the heat build up in barrels after each shot.  In fact, the amount of heel the ship underwent after a full broadside was considerable, as was the sideways translation of the ship as a reactive force from the guns firing. 

The game should have MORE rng if you wanted it to be realistic, and things like a jammed rudder or busted propeller shafts were not repairable in battle, much like tracks were not repairable in battle in tank combat.  I have been playing the game for about a week and a half now, and find it fun with a lot of potential once they balance out classes and matchmaking.  It's only in closed beta though, so I think the product is in a great state right now, all things considered.

The game should have MORE rng if you wanted it to be realistic, and things like a jammed rudder or busted propeller shafts were not repairable in battle, much like tracks were not repairable in battle in tank combat.  I have been playing the game for about a week and a half now, and find it fun with a lot of potential once they balance out classes and matchmaking.  It's only in closed beta though, so I think the product is in a great state right now, all things considered.

We want it to be a fun game, not a fun simulator and the same applies to WG, their target audience wants a tank/ship/plane/whatever GAME.

I think Wargaming underestimates how important direct & predictable feedback is to players in order to be motivated to keep playing in the long run. Too much RNG destroys the relationship and while badass citadel pens are hilarious and oneshotting an enemy BB with your BB is nice, after some time it just feels dry. Besides, introducing RNG oneshot wonder mechanics into a fairly slowly paced shooter like WoWs just doesn't make sense.

We want it to be a fun game, not a fun simulator and the same applies to WG, their target audience wants a tank/ship/plane/whatever GAME.

I think Wargaming underestimates how important direct & predictable feedback is to players in order to be motivated to keep playing in the long run. Too much RNG destroys the relationship and while badass citadel pens are hilarious and oneshotting an enemy BB with your BB is nice, after some time it just feels dry. Besides, introducing RNG oneshot wonder mechanics into a fairly slowly paced shooter like WoWs just doesn't make sense.

Not having the above happen is what made me ragequit for the evening.  I'm in my Amagi and 1-shot 2 different destroyers at greater than 8km early in the game.  I haven't had that happen since they fixed the bug where destroyers were 1-shot when anything hit them at launch of CB.  Later in the game, when an Iowa comes around an island at 3 fucking km I put in a full broadside for only 10k dmg.  He returns the favor for 50k.  I fire again and get all of 30k.

Alt-F4 right after that.

You're going to have a very cynical, and rightfully so, audience in this game just bemoaning who got luckier with their RNG if this shit keeps up.