Fiaura The Tank Girl

Elite: Dangerous - Anyone Out there?

264 posts in this topic

Glad i helped you along! Sorry that you died the first time, i'm still not sure what killed you though. No one was hostile nearby and nothing was shooting at you. 

And as much as I wish that I could pretend I was good enough to use fixed on the Corvette, I don't :D It's definitely a fun over optimal build, but it's so engineered and such overkill that it doesn't make too much of a difference. It's rocking two huge efficient beams and 5 overcharged multicannons, all gimballed because i'm lazy. Up against a decent PVP built ship it'd get walked all over. The Vette can definitely use fixed weapons but again - I'm lazy (and semi incompetent, but mostly lazy :D)

Bounty hunting is great fun and solid credits until you start wanting more expensive ships. Once you get a Vulture, and can start taking a few hits before your shields pop, it's so much fun. Engineering them adds a whole new level as well, though it isn't without its pitfalls. 

Edit: Here's my Corvette build: https://s.orbis.zone/x41

I ran a combat Cutter up until i got the rank for the Vette. 4 medium turrets, although it is maneuverable enough to get away with fixed if you are willing to put in the effort. Holy crap does it drift though, even with G5 dirties. 

I gotta say, the Krait really surprised me. easily one of my favorite ships in the game, it's just so versatile and fun to fly.

13 hours ago, skyf24 said:

Glad i helped you along! Sorry that you died the first time, i'm still not sure what killed you though. No one was hostile nearby and nothing was shooting at you. 

And as much as I wish that I could pretend I was good enough to use fixed on the Corvette, I don't :D It's definitely a fun over optimal build, but it's so engineered and such overkill that it doesn't make too much of a difference. It's rocking two huge efficient beams and 5 overcharged multicannons, all gimballed because i'm lazy. Up against a decent PVP built ship it'd get walked all over. The Vette can definitely use fixed weapons but again - I'm lazy (and semi incompetent, but mostly lazy :D)

Bounty hunting is great fun and solid credits until you start wanting more expensive ships. Once you get a Vulture, and can start taking a few hits before your shields pop, it's so much fun. Engineering them adds a whole new level as well, though it isn't without its pitfalls. 

Edit: Here's my Corvette build: https://s.orbis.zone/x41

I’m wondering if there wasn’t some sort of server glitch that time I died.  I initiated combat against somebody with a bounty, but I guess he just wasn’t present for you. Very weird.

Did you turn off Flight Assist when you were strafing sideways in that fight?  I haven’t dabbled in that yet.

10 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

I’m wondering if there wasn’t some sort of server glitch that time I died.  I initiated combat against somebody with a bounty, but I guess he just wasn’t present for you. Very weird.

Did you turn off Flight Assist when you were strafing sideways in that fight?  I haven’t dabbled in that yet.

Probably was a server glitch. The game has a number of them here and there unfortunately, mainly instancing issues but I think i've seen what happened to you once before. 

Corvette generally doesn't need flight assist off for most targets (and I was drunk so i wasn't exactly on my A game lol) but here and there i'd be using toggling it. The Vette is amazingly maneuverable for being one of the big 3, the Conda comes close but the Vette is in a league of its own.

I gotta say, this is a really engrossing game.

If you haven't played since the update, log the fuck on and learn how to do deep core mining.

You can easily make millions of credits in very short order - crack an asteroid in planetary rings, collect 20-30 tons of Void Opals or Low Temperature Diamonds, sell the VOs for up to 1.6 million a ton...profit?  I've got something like 260 million credits right now.

I have a thread on reddit about how ridiculously easy it is to get into deep core mining even if all you can afford is an Adder.

The ideal is probably to just get an Asp Explorer and kit it out like I suggest in that thread.

The other option is to take a Krait Mk II or Python to have even more cargo space, but the AspX's hardpoints are near its centerline, so you can get up to five Abrasion Blasters hitting surface deposits and producing up to five chunks from a single surface deposit; the Krait and Python's hardpoints are more spread out, so it's hard to get more than two chunks released at a time.

Given the short trips needed to sell the VOs and LTDs from deep core mining at maximum price, the Python's superior cargo space is less important than the AspX's sheer speed at producing chunks.  The AspX build I have in that thread is like 17 million.  If you don't have that in the bank, you can kit out a Cobra III for deep core mining, with a shield but without a fuel scoop, for only 8.8 million, ship, modules, and everything.

And if you're dirt poor, there's an Adder build for only 4.4 million.

The progression is pretty quick; one Adder-load of VOs or two of LTDs (at current prices) is enough to afford the Cobra III miner, one Cobra-load of VOs or two of LTDs is enough to buy an AspX kitted out as I said, and one Asp-load of VOs or two of LTDs is enough to get you the Krait or Python builds I displayed.  For the ships with fuel scoops, you can strip that off for more cargo space if you're mining in the bubble.

To be clear: if your AspX has 96 tons of cargo space, and you fill that with Void Opals and sell them for 1.6 mil per ton, that's 153,600,000 astro-dollars in a single run.

I've been trying to get into that, every time i go out in my mining python i can never find the rocks that explode. Rather frustrating, or im just dumb, which is also a possibility. +1d you both here and reddit for the post, very nice guide.

I've been trying to get into that, every time i go out in my mining python i can never find the rocks that explode. Rather frustrating, or im just dumb, which is also a possibility. +1d you both here and reddit for the post, very nice guide.

Give me a message next time you get on and we can go mining together.  There are videos that are better at describing the how of deep core mining than I am, but I figured out proper outfitting pretty well I think.

Oh, and also, despite the larger cargo space, I think the current consensus is that the AspX is the better miner in terms of $$$/hour than the Python.

On 1/7/2019 at 4:20 AM, FlorbFnarb said:

Give me a message next time you get on and we can go mining together.  There are videos that are better at describing the how of deep core mining than I am, but I figured out proper outfitting pretty well I think.

Oh, and also, despite the larger cargo space, I think the current consensus is that the AspX is the better miner in terms of $$$/hour than the Python.

It generally doesnt matter, because VO site within the bubble are relatively depleted, and you only look for one shape of asteroids. Having 30 to 50 void opals per hour (consider you use the bug) is very good already.

I should add that I prefer Python over Clipper or AspE? You can always do a Cutter. There are few more points aside from landing pad issue.

• Although less agile (particularly yaw) and slower than AspE, it has 17 MLF so it wont get mass locked by pirate, if they spawn a conda just outrun it. Having 3 Class 6 means equally as much cargo as a Clipper at 196, stock 130 limpets meaning you can do lesser restock as not all outpost has it.

• Another perk is 2 Class 5 internals (Clipper has non, AspE probably spare for cargo rack), you certainly want a single 5A collector limpet because dual 3As only add 1 more active limpet at a cost of a slot, so the spare Class 5 will be the all important Fuel scoop, which you will be so glad you have brought it.

• Out of the three, Python have the best shield modifier, with 3 boosters it will achieve 299MJ with a 3A shield while Clipper only has 202MJ (269MJ even with a 4A), AspE only has a 181MJ (333 with 5A). Might not seem a lot, but when 3 collector limpets hit you they can take away a ring if not more, let alone 4 if you run dual 3As

• Last thing is hardpoint, Seismic launcher is a Class 2 (or M), Abrasion blaster is a Class 1, in order for the bug to work you need to align the surface so all your blasters hit at the same time.
    Annoyingly for AspE, the Class 2s are aligned with Class 1s as the bottom, whereas the upper Class 1s are slightly further back, therefore trying to get all 4 blasters to hit at the same time requires more micro adjustment (also range), you cant only swap one Class 2 as blasters because either one has to be Seismic launcher. So for most of the time you will only get two blasters aligned to bug yourself double.
    As for Clipper, aligning shots require longer range shooting as a result of further apart hardpoints, similar issue if you run a Cutter.
    Python's Class 2s are relatively close, even at 500m range the shots are close enough to trigger the bug.

Maybe you prefer not to bug, then I think having two Class 3 Beam lasers to cheese smaller pirates are definitely more preferable than having two Class 1 weapons. By the way, Down to earth astronomy (D2EA)'s tutorial is definitely helpful.

On 1/12/2019 at 10:29 AM, Unavailebow said:

I should add that I prefer Python over Clipper or AspE? You can always do a Cutter. There are few more points aside from landing pad issue.

• Although less agile (particularly yaw) and slower than AspE, it has 17 MLF so it wont get mass locked by pirate, if they spawn a conda just outrun it. Having 3 Class 6 means equally as much cargo as a Clipper at 196, stock 130 limpets meaning you can do lesser restock as not all outpost has it.

• Another perk is 2 Class 5 internals (Clipper has non, AspE probably spare for cargo rack), you certainly want a single 5A collector limpet because dual 3As only add 1 more active limpet at a cost of a slot, so the spare Class 5 will be the all important Fuel scoop, which you will be so glad you have brought it.

• Out of the three, Python have the best shield modifier, with 3 boosters it will achieve 299MJ with a 3A shield while Clipper only has 202MJ (269MJ even with a 4A), AspE only has a 181MJ (333 with 5A). Might not seem a lot, but when 3 collector limpets hit you they can take away a ring if not more, let alone 4 if you run dual 3As

• Last thing is hardpoint, Seismic launcher is a Class 2 (or M), Abrasion blaster is a Class 1, in order for the bug to work you need to align the surface so all your blasters hit at the same time.
    Annoyingly for AspE, the Class 2s are aligned with Class 1s as the bottom, whereas the upper Class 1s are slightly further back, therefore trying to get all 4 blasters to hit at the same time requires more micro adjustment (also range), you cant only swap one Class 2 as blasters because either one has to be Seismic launcher. So for most of the time you will only get two blasters aligned to bug yourself double.
    As for Clipper, aligning shots require longer range shooting as a result of further apart hardpoints, similar issue if you run a Cutter.
    Python's Class 2s are relatively close, even at 500m range the shots are close enough to trigger the bug.

Maybe you prefer not to bug, then I think having two Class 3 Beam lasers to cheese smaller pirates are definitely more preferable than having two Class 1 weapons. By the way, Down to earth astronomy (D2EA)'s tutorial is definitely helpful.
  1. Certainly the only reason the AspX is currently the king of deep core miners is the surface deposit/abrasion blaster feature/bug, where every blaster that hits a surface deposit generates a separate chunk.  The Clipper/Python/Krait all have larger cargo capacity and more self-defense ability, but the AspX can generate chunks much faster, and currently makes more %%%/hour.  The rest of them have such wide hardpoint placement you can at best get 1 or 2 chunks from each surface deposit, while the AspX regularly gets 4/5 chunks if you put enough abrasion blasters on it.  Once Frontier changes that, the AspX's only advantage will be price; it will no longer be the ideal miner.
  2. I agree regarding space, but when mining in or near the Bubble, you don't have to have a fuel scoop.  AspX has a Class 5 fuel tank and fairly low weight, so it runs quite a long while on a single tank, especially if you're sensible about how long your jumps are.
  3. I only run 2 limpets at a time - I reserve the Class 6 spot and a Class 5 for cargo, and so my collectors only run two at a time.
  4. I'm not having any problem getting 4/5 hits regularly.  I never managed to get more than two, maybe three if I got lucky with the Python.  Once Frontier changes things I'll probably mine with the Python just for the cargo capacity and self-defense ability.

11 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

(Fair points)

Once Frontier change that I'd probably not do mining or very few occasion, consider how depleted the hotposts will be, relog works but now I am already doing a relog every 3 motherlodes. more importantly I am not really that short of credits after realising I have been a generous boss feeding the crew over 500mil but never used them. This opal rush was just me preparing more credits for future events, having a billion or so in the vault is kind of essential these days. Having said that, I still need to kit a battle cattle, and a beluga, just not urgent compare to unlocking guardian components and gathering materials to revamp modules.

Cuz I am also into my last semester, able to spare time following galnet should really be considered a treat.

6 hours ago, Unavailebow said:

Once Frontier change that I'd probably not do mining or very few occasion, consider how depleted the hotposts will be, relog works but now I am already doing a relog every 3 motherlodes. more importantly I am not really that short of credits after realising I have been a generous boss feeding the crew over 500mil but never used them. This opal rush was just me preparing more credits for future events, having a billion or so in the vault is kind of essential these days. Having said that, I still need to kit a battle cattle, and a beluga, just not urgent compare to unlocking guardian components and gathering materials to revamp modules.

Cuz I am also into my last semester, able to spare time following galnet should really be considered a treat.

Yeah, I have to start looking for Guardian stuff.  I haven't unlocked any of that.  I've done some engineering, but I only have a few engineers unlocked.

What's a battle cattle though?  And what's the preferred use of a Beluga now that passenger missions seem to be last year's fad?  Exploration in style?

16 hours ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Yeah, I have to start looking for Guardian stuff.  I haven't unlocked any of that.  I've done some engineering, but I only have a few engineers unlocked.

What's a battle cattle though?  And what's the preferred use of a Beluga now that passenger missions seem to be last year's fad?  Exploration in style?

I focus on internals engineering, not so much on weapons unless I have to walk pass particular engineer, ranked few of them to 5 before they revamped engineering, blood, wine and bones.

Type 9 Space Cow hence Type 10 Battle Cow

Since they remove the passenger cabin restriction (for good sake), Orca and Dolphin went out as explorer again, fairly open cockpit with very good jump range and quite agile, dont drift as badly as AspE or Krait. Beluga however, is overkill in terms of internals also with mediocre jump range, plus the size and low thrust power are considered troublesome for high G planets. I would go so far saying they may need to touch Beluga at some point, its 80mil price tag is only cheap Beluga only has 1 Class 8 internal - Life support.

We argued about whether a Class 7 FSD was a good decision for a 950T ship FD replied passenger ships were not meant to out-jump ships but better fuel efficiency therefore longer reach per tank, fewer fuel stops, therefore giving it a whopping Class 7 128T stock fuel tank, 4 times more than the Conda. Yet, Dolphin was only priced 500k below DBE (One of the only two ships able to reach 40Ly without engineering) and Orca was 4mil more expensive than a KraitP (which has the same FSD and Fuel tank, and lighter hull).

Although we could say previously the Orca-class Torpedo was 580T versus now 290T... and it can now also achieve an obscene speed of 620m/s while maintaining 47Ly max jump range. :disco:

As for Beluga, best for storage, I have the credit to own one but not point doing so at the moment, made myself an explorer KraitP instead.