Jump to content
Fiaura The Tank Girl

Elite: Dangerous - Anyone Out there?

Recommended Posts

I've been having some fun with the game this week, playing it like Euro Space Ship Simulator to scrape enough cash together for an intermediate exploration fit. I finally hit my goal in Zaonce: fitted my ship, plotted a course out into the black, took off, hit my friend ship drive... and the program crashed :(

Talk about taking the wind out of my sails. 

I figure if I get similar value out of this game than ETS2 (~150 hours) then I'll be satisfied. I'll likely pass on Horizons, though. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really starting to dig Horizons. They've added a bunch of missions that pay really well for very little work.

There are two forms, one for those with SRVs and one for those without. The latter are usually named Cutting the Power and are super easy to do. You literally fly to a planetary installation, destroy a generator and then fly back to the mission giver. You usually get 150k or more for this and it takes 10 minutes or so. The SRV version are a bit more involved and usually involve connecting to some terminal in the installation. They don't pay as much but you tend to find a bunch of them for the same installation together. I just completed 4 in one go for about 200k in 20 minutes.

Compared to the "Fly this shit to this place for 5k credits" missions, these things are awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found I'm bored shitless by it now. I played both Frontier games for thousands of hours, I think it's just that I'm now an old fart who can't fill in the gaping holes in the content with his own imagination, like I could when I was 14.

 

As I've heard people describe it, it's a game a hundred thousand light-years wide, but only an inch deep. It just needs content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BattleMetalChris said:

I've found I'm bored shitless by it now. I played both Frontier games for thousands of hours, I think it's just that I'm now an old fart who can't fill in the gaping holes in the content with his own imagination, like I could when I was 14.

 

As I've heard people describe it, it's a game a hundred thousand light-years wide, but only an inch deep. It just needs content.

Well, look on the bright side, Frontier plan to support ED for 10 years and we're only just entering year 2 now so hopefully in a few years there will be plenty more to do. I don't play much so I tend not to get exhausted. In fact, I play so little that I only just purchased a Cobra Mk. III two weeks back...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that is what's keeping me from uninstalling it completely.

 

I'll probably dip in a couple of times a year and completely binge on it for a few weeks before ignoring it for another 6 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elite or Star Citizen or No Man's Sky - I tend to agree with Massively OP's reviewer on elite - "a mile wide but an inch thick", thou the other two are still in the future, thus somewhat safe from criticism!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JamesGoblin said:

Elite or Star Citizen or No Man's Sky - I tend to agree with Massively OP's reviewer on elite - "a mile wide but an inch thick", thou the other two are still in the future, thus somewhat safe from criticism!?

Well, the thing is, while ED is out there being actively developed and improved based on user feedback and Frontier have a 10 year plan for the game, Star Citizen is still in development and there's no guarantee the final game will be reflect the amount of time, money and effort that went into it.

No Man's Sky looks like a safer bet but it isn't out yet and I haven't heard much about what their post-release plans are at all, if any they have any. I'm not sure they could even support the game for 10 years given that it's a PS4 and PC release...

ED isn't perfect, but there is at least a strong way forward for it to get there :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2016 at 4:55 AM, OOPMan said:
On 2/14/2016 at 4:55 AM, OOPMan said:

Well, the thing is, while ED is out there being actively developed and improved based on user feedback and Frontier have a 10 year plan for the game, Star Citizen is still in development and there's no guarantee the final game will be reflect the amount of time, money and effort that went into it.

No Man's Sky looks like a safer bet but it isn't out yet and I haven't heard much about what their post-release plans are at all, if any they have any. I'm not sure they could even support the game for 10 years given that it's a PS4 and PC release...

ED isn't perfect, but there is at least a strong way forward for it to get there :-)

Well, the thing is, while ED is out there being actively developed and improved based on user feedback and Frontier have a 10 year plan for the game, Star Citizen is still in development and there's no guarantee the final game will be reflect the amount of time, money and effort that went into it.

No Man's Sky looks like a safer bet but it isn't out yet and I haven't heard much about what their post-release plans are at all, if any they have any. I'm not sure they could even support the game for 10 years given that it's a PS4 and PC release...

ED isn't perfect, but there is at least a strong way forward for it to get there :-)

Yea, I also wonder what will No Man's Sky gameplay be - it looks nice, but can also end up "a mile wide..."  :) .

 

Star Citizen has insane budget but is also insanely ambitious. I don't intend to play it, but it's success or failure will have huge impact on the future of indies, and thus gaming in general - the only reason I wish them success even as a total "outsider".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2016 at 4:55 AM, OOPMan said:

Well, the thing is, while ED is out there being actively developed and improved based on user feedback and Frontier have a 10 year plan for the game, Star Citizen is still in development and there's no guarantee the final game will be reflect the amount of time, money and effort that went into it.

No Man's Sky looks like a safer bet but it isn't out yet and I haven't heard much about what their post-release plans are at all, if any they have any. I'm not sure they could even support the game for 10 years given that it's a PS4 and PC release...

ED isn't perfect, but there is at least a strong way forward for it to get there :-)

"You will never play this game with your friends" - this came as a shock, and unfortunately end of "No Man's..." for me :(

http://nerdist.com/no-mans-sky-7-things-you-didnt-know/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JamesGoblin said:

"You will never play this game with your friends" - this came as a shock, and unfortunately end of "No Man's..." for me :(

http://nerdist.com/no-mans-sky-7-things-you-didnt-know/

Hmmmmmmmmm, frustratingly little information there. Welp, I've pre-ordered. If I'm unhappy I'll refund it within the Steam window period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2016 at 6:43 AM, OOPMan said:

Hmmmmmmmmm, frustratingly little information there. Welp, I've pre-ordered. If I'm unhappy I'll refund it within the Steam window period.

Yea, there are better sources, just this is the first one I saw that clearly says it's single player. Devs liked to wordsmith around that, and some sites even labeled it as MMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JamesGoblin said:

Yea, there are better sources, just this is the first one I saw that clearly says it's single player. Devs liked to wordsmith around that, and some sites even labeled it as MMO.

I don't know, the information given seemed quite circumspect and a little conflicting. Will wait for something more solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OOPMan said:

I don't know, the information given seemed quite circumspect and a little conflicting. Will wait for something more solid.

Well, there seems to be theoretical possibility to stumble across other player - and they were toying with that saying "if you see another player..." couple times.

 

My point is, had I known that the social aspect of the game is basically zero - I wouldn't be hyped at all. I guess they were also thinking along these lines... :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OOPMan said:

Playing some ED again. Upgraded to an Asp Explorer and hunting for Meta-Alloys so I can feed Felicity Farseer.

I just bought them from Maia :doge:

Materials are way easier to get tho. No more 3 hours per polonium, actually polonium are useless now.

Getting 500 tons refined into to unlock Selene Jean, wants G5 shield booster from Didi so badly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Unavailebow said:

I just bought them from Maia :doge:

Materials are way easier to get tho. No more 3 hours per polonium, actually polonium are useless now.

Getting 500 tons refined into to unlock Selene Jean, wants G5 shield booster from Didi so badly

Oh, you can buy them now? Hmmmm, I'm pretty poor though, only have about 1.2m credits :-/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...