Fiaura The Tank Girl

Elite: Dangerous - Anyone Out there?

1 minute ago, Never said:

Welp, bought my Vette. Thankfully I could port over all the core internals and most other modules from the Anaconda. Now I'm debating whether I should dump a VERY large chunk of cash into Reactive Surface Composite bulkheads or go for something cheaper. Any ideas?

The general idea is to balance out your resistances, but I admittedly tend to focus more on thermal resistances.  My Chieftain has military grade composite with G4 lightweight, FWIW.

God I love when NPCs in a Sidewinder scans your huge-ass Corvette or Anaconda and acts all tough. "Eh, no cargo, you're useless to me!". Then you start melting through him and he's all like "So you choose death!"

Son, you do realize that I'm in a Federation warship and you're in a ship that is being literally given away for free.

6 hours ago, Never said:

Welp, bought my Vette. Thankfully I could port over all the core internals and most other modules from the Anaconda. Now I'm debating whether I should dump a VERY large chunk of cash into Reactive Surface Composite bulkheads or go for something cheaper. Any ideas?

Military Grade only if you must.

Start off Vette is a worse hull tanker than a conda, but considerably larger shield, so large than SCB feels like nothing if you put a prismatic on it. Large ships should always bail out when they run out of shield having MLF advantage. Even if you reboot your shield to 50 it still be larger than most other ships.

Boosting hull not only cost you a fortune, but also not practical because the weakness is in the module.

3 hours ago, Unavailebow said:

Military Grade only if you must.

Start off Vette is a worse hull tanker than a conda, but considerably larger shield, so large than SCB feels like nothing if you put a prismatic on it. Large ships should always bail out when they run out of shield having MLF advantage. Even if you reboot your shield to 50 it still be larger than most other ships.

Boosting hull not only cost you a fortune, but also not practical because the weakness is in the module.

So add in both hull and module reinforcement.  Heavy armor plus hull and module reinforcements on top of a strong shield with boosters is a hell of a defense.

3 hours ago, woe2you said:

After Frontline I should really finish fitting out my shiny space dildo. Opal mining still the thing?

Always.

So today I decided to Forrest Gump it. With plenty of goals achieved in the Bubble, I hopped onto my Anaconda, visited the last engineers I needed in order to get it to a 74ly jump range while fully packed with every utility necessary and started making my way towards Sagittarius A*.

8 hours later, I just exited the Inner Orion Spur for the first time, and visited some nice places along the way. Instead of taking a direct route I'm jumping between points of interest to break up the monotony of jumping, scooping, scanning and jumping again.

Almost halfway between the Bubble and the galactic core, my next destination is the Norma Southern Gate!

Ellairb_UL-N_c7-33_(20190319-000515).png

6 minutes ago, Never said:

So today I decided to Forrest Gump it. With plenty of goals achieved in the Bubble, I hopped onto my Anaconda, visited the last engineers I needed in order to get it to a 74ly jump range while fully packed with every utility necessary and started making my way towards Sagittarius A*.

8 hours later, I just exited the Inner Orion Spur for the first time, and visited some nice places along the way. Instead of taking a direct route I'm jumping between points of interest to break up the monotony of jumping, scooping, scanning and jumping again.

Almost halfway between the Bubble and the galactic core, my next destination is the Norma Southern Gate!

Ellairb_UL-N_c7-33_(20190319-000515).png

See my previous comment of "do you have a job?"

I'll probably get back into exploring again at some point, but honestly just the 5k LY Palin excursion burned me out for a bit.  74 LY is a hell of a jump range though.  Are you very stripped down, or do you have the full complement of explorer stuff - AFMU, repair limpets, SRV bay, etc?

12 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

See my previous comment of "do you have a job?"

I'll probably get back into exploring again at some point, but honestly just the 5k LY Palin excursion burned me out for a bit.  74 LY is a hell of a jump range though.  Are you very stripped down, or do you have the full complement of explorer stuff - AFMU, repair limpets, SRV bay, etc?

It's a fully exploration-capable vessel! Here's the build: https://s.orbis.zone/2ix3

I can still squeeze ~0.8ly into it since I didn't lightweight life support and didn't finish the G5 lightweight sensors (very close to it though).

Edit: Figured out I can get an extra 0.4ly by going with a G5 overcharged monstered 4A Power Plant. I could technically go very low on the Power Distributor, but I want the boost capability.

14 minutes ago, Never said:

It's a fully exploration-capable vessel! Here's the build: https://s.orbis.zone/2ix3

I can still squeeze ~0.8ly into it since I didn't lightweight life support and didn't finish the G5 lightweight sensors (very close to it though).

Food for thought, you can get about 50% better shield strength with a 4A standard shield, same engineering, for no change in mass or jump range: https://s.orbis.zone/2ix6

In other news, I have picked up an FDL: the Kate Upton, ID# 34DD.  

qjdW6oD.png

Also, as I used to say about the ol' M6 in WoT, if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

5 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Food for thought: you can get about 50% better shield strength with a 4A standard shield, same engineering, for [no change in mass or jump range.](https://s.orbis.zone/2ix6)

True, tbh I'm not too sure what my line of thinking was to have chosen the bi-weaves. Just gotten used to it with mining and PvE I think.

1 minute ago, Never said:

True, tbh I'm not too sure what my line of thinking was to have chosen the bi-weaves. Just gotten used to it with mining and PvE I think.

Yeah, I used to put them on out of habit, but now I only use them on dedicated combat ships.  Anything where I usually just high wake away if attacked, I put the A-rated stuff on there.

I guess I could work towards prismatics, but I have no about how to do powerplay stuff.

Apparently this bug has been around since forever and Frontier has refused to or is incapable of fixing it. It's extremely annoying and pretty much kills any semblance of immersion when exploring.

Before reloading the game:

Elite Dangerous 2019.03.19 - 10.53.58.02.DVR.mp4_snapshot_07.22_[2019.03.19_10.56.05].jpg

After reloading the game:

Elite Dangerous 2019.03.19 - 10.53.58.02.DVR.mp4_snapshot_09.15_[2019.03.19_10.56.20].jpg

Yeah, it's a known bug.  Some people have been saying it's due to something built into the graphics engine.

For a game that aims is to simulate space, failing to properly simulate space is a pretty big oof. If I were in FDev's place, fixing this would be pretty high up in the priority list. Presentation in a game like this is huge.

1 hour ago, Never said:

For a game that aims is to simulate space, failing to properly simulate space is a pretty big oof. If I were in FDev's place, fixing this would be pretty high up in the priority list. Presentation in a game like this is huge.

Agreed.  Some people are saying it's something that can't be fixed short of outright changing the game engine altogether, but that's over my head.

59 minutes ago, FlorbFnarb said:

Agreed.  Some people are saying it's something that can't be fixed short of outright changing the game engine altogether, but that's over my head.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people claim this, but I think they're misunderstanding the issue. There are two similar but unrelated issues: This one, and the way Stellar Forge works which would require Frontier to destroy the galaxy and recreate it.

This one appears to be something that fails during witchspace. Because restarting the game fixes the problem, the code that is generating the skybox is failing at some point during the jump. Maybe it has a timeout so that players don't get stuck in witchspace for a long time, while when loading the game the code has the luxury of time to properly render the entire skybox.

That's my theory at least.

In other news, I just reached my third-to-last waypoint on my way to Sagittarius A*. I'm currently at distance of 21,683 ly from Sol, so getting very close. After reaching Sag A*, I'm docking at Explorer's Anchorage. After that, I still haven't decided. I'll either:

1. Continue on to Beagle Point. DW2 moves too slowly, so linking up with them is not an option. Probably not gonna do this since I have a few friends who are starting to play and I want to be in the Bubble to help them out (maybe it's time to buy a new copy of the game :D)

2. Go straight back to the Bubble.

3. Go to Colonia, then take back to the Bubble.

37 minutes ago, Never said:

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people claim this, but I think they're misunderstanding the issue. There are two similar but unrelated issues: This one, and the way Stellar Forge works which would require Frontier to destroy the galaxy and recreate it.

This one appears to be something that fails during witchspace. Because restarting the game fixes the problem, the code that is generating the skybox is failing at some point during the jump. Maybe it has a timeout so that players don't get stuck in witchspace for a long time, while when loading the game the code has the luxury of time to properly render the entire skybox.

That's my theory at least.

In other news, I just reached my third-to-last waypoint on my way to Sagittarius A*. I'm currently at distance of 21,683 ly from Sol, so getting very close. After reaching Sag A*, I'm docking at Explorer's Anchorage. After that, I still haven't decided. I'll either:

1. Continue on to Beagle Point. DW2 moves too slowly, so linking up with them is not an option. Probably not gonna do this since I have a few friends who are starting to play and I want to be in the Bubble to help them out (maybe it's time to buy a new copy of the game :D)

2. Go straight back to the Bubble.

3. Go to Colonia, then take back to the Bubble.

If you don't think you'll be back in the Bubble in time, you can shoot me their usernames and I can hook them up with some credits.  I don't mind mining some Void Opals and giving them to them as an extra starter fund.

Will do, although since they play mostly on the weekends, I'll probably be back.

Man, I just got to the Great Annihilator. Black holes freak me the fuck out.

Great Annihilator (20190319-172117) (Large).png

2 minutes ago, Never said:

Will do, although since they play mostly on the weekends, I'll probably be back.

Man, I just got to the Great Annihilator. Black holes freak me the fuck out.

Great Annihilator (20190319-172117) (Large).png

Yeah?  Have you ever watched The Black Hole, the Disney movie?